Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Serpico (1973)

Very good movie! Great (true) story, great directing, fantastic performances, good Al Pacino beard game. :D

3 years ago*

Upgrade (2018)

Decided to rewatch this one and it's still amazing! Great cinematography and camera work.

3 years ago

The Beast Must Die (1974)

A murder-mystery (or better described as a werewolf-mystery)/horror film with Peter Cushing, Michael Gambon, Calvin Lockhart and other talented actors. Very entertaining movie. In the beginning there's a message with narration that says "This film is a detective story - in which you are the detective. The question is not "Who is the murderer?" - But "Who is the werewolf?" After all the clues have been shown - You will get a chance to give your answer. Watch for the werewolf break." And yeah, then you have to watch the movie and guess who's the werewolf. And yes, there's literally a 30 second werewolf-break where you have to guess who you think it is. Such a fun concept. So low budget, that the werewolf had to be played by a German Sheperd. Yep, a dog. But that doesn't make this movie much worse. It's campy and not scary, despite being a horror movie (because of the werewolf of course), but it's very fun and entertaining and sometimes that's just enough.

3 years ago

Cloud Atlas (2012)

I've had this on my watchlist for ages, but when it came to watching this I always thought I would rather watch two 90 minute movies instead of one that's almost 3 hours long. But as soon as I started watching this I totally forgot that. For a story (or more like stories) that span almost 500 years (1849, 1936, 1973, 2012, 2144, and 2321) 3 hours isn't too long at all. At the end it even felt a bit too short. Could've been half an hour longer. But it's based on a book so I'll guess I'll try to find that. Great cast (Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Hugo Weaving, Hugh Grant, Jim Broadbent, Bae Donna, Ben Wishaw, Susan Sarandon, Keith David and many more) with everyone playing multiple widely different characters (some actors play 6 or 7 characters), often almost completely unrecognizable. Written and directed by the Wachowskis and Tom Tykwer.
Worth watching for the performances and the amazing costume designs alone. And then there's a great story in there, too.

BIG SPOILER WARNING: When Timothy Cavendish is first trying to escape from the retirement home he's quoting Soylent Green (1973). You know. "Soylent Green is people." This is a forshadowing to later in the movie when Hae-Joo Chang shows Sonmi-451 the meat factory, where old fabricants are slaughtered for food. Well, it's a relatively big spoiler. It won't spoil the whole movie for you, but it's definitely something you rather wouldn't know before.

If you're disheartened by the lenght of this movie (as I was), don't fret and watch this as soon as you have the time for it. It's really good! Those three hours will fly by faster than you think.

3 years ago*

Enter the Dragon (1973)

Yes, I've only now watched my first Bruce Lee movie. And holy fuck, was he good. I've seen Martial Arts movies before but this was on a whole different level. Especially for the time it came out.
Very good story, great performances, stunning fight choreographies.

3 years ago

Return of the Fly (1959)

A while back (must've been early 2018) I watched The Fly. Both the 1958 version with Vincent Price and the 1986 version with Jeff Goldblum. And I loved them both. So today I'm watching the sequels to those movies. They're probably not going to be as good but here goes nothing:

So. Contrary to the first one, this one was shot in black and white for whatever reason. Maybe because of budgetary constrains. I wouldn't say it's much worse than the first one, though. It's surprisingly good. Pretty interesting story, very good effects for the time, good performances.

As of right now I'd say The Fly (1958) and Return of the Fly (1959) make a very good double feature.

3 years ago

Soylent Green - 8/10

3 years ago

Curse of the Fly (1965)

There's no fly in here, but people turn into gooey mutants. The effects are better than in the previous two movies of the series, so that's a plus. But still, I'd say you should rather do a double feature with the first two movies instead of a triple feature with this one.

3 years ago

The Fly II (1989)

Still great effects, almost on par with the one from The Fly (1986). (There's an amazing facemelting scene for example, apart from all the fantastic body horror) Centered around Brundlefly's son, played by Eric Stoltz. (Funfact: Some people that almost played that role were Keanu Reeves, Josh Brolin and Vincent D'Onofrio.) Stunning character designs in the last half hour of the movie. Pretty good story, although not near as impactful and dramatic as the one with Jeff Goldblum that makes that movie a pretty emotional drama by the end.
I mean this is still pretty good for what it is, but obviously can't come close to The Fly (1986).

So all in all I'd say you should watch The Fly (1958), Return of the Fly (1959), The Fly (1986) and The Fly II (1989). You can skip Curse of the Fly (1965) without it being too much of a loss.

3 years ago*

The Karate Kid

Never saw this in the 80s somehow, or never to until recently, I'm not surprised either because kid me would find this film incredibly boring. As did adult me. It's about a kid who likes a girl and gets bullied for what seems like two hours, until the end where he kicks his bully's ass using an illegal move (kick to the face) in the middle of a karate tournament and nobody bats an eyelid. Decided instead to talk about 80s cartoons and transformers with my mates. 0/10 really don't see the attraction to what is considered a classic...

3 years ago

My life as a Zucchini (2016) incredibly charming, moving, sad but also pretty uplifting movie.

Totally recommended

3 years ago

Black Sunday (1960)

Great, creepy atmosphere, good effects, very good story. Definitely recommended! Very good early movie by legendary Mario Bava.

3 years ago*

Brazil - 7/10

3 years ago

Kwaidan (1964)

A japanese horror anthology movie, that consists of four separate stories, all based on Koizumi Yakumo/Lafcadio Hearn's work.

"The Black Hair"
A poor samurai who divorces his true love to marry for money, but finds the marriage disastrous and returns to his old wife, only to discover something eerie about her.

"The Woman in the Snow"
Stranded in a snowstorm, a woodcutter meets an icy spirit in the form of a woman who spares his life on the condition that he never tell anyone about her. A decade later he forgets his promise.

"Hoichi the Earless"
Hoichi is a blind musician, living in a monastery who sings so well that a ghostly imperial court commands him to perform the epic ballad of their death battle for them. But the ghosts are draining away his life, and the monks set out to protect him by writing a holy mantra over his body to make him invisible to the ghosts. But they've forgotten something.

"In a Cup of Tea"
A writer tells the story of a man who keep seeing a mysterious face reflected in his cup of tea.

All those stories have great cinematography, good effects, very good performances, and those stories are very interesting, too. Such a beautiful movie! So good! Definitely recommended!

3 years ago

Blood And Black Lace (1964)

Another very good movie by Mario Bava. Interesting story, good performances. Very stylish giallo. It's actually the first giallo ever and you can see its influence on so many other movies. So that's reason alone to watch it. But it's also very good. That's another reason.

(Forgot to post this yesterday.)

3 years ago

Nineteen Eighty-Four - 6/10

3 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

3 years ago*

That sounds a bit like a Haiku obviously the number of word groups is not correct, I know
or some sort of poetry.

I like it 😅

3 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

3 years ago

View attached image.
3 years ago

3 years ago

I did not 😅

I think it was on TV when I was a child but tbh I never watched it nor the Munsters.
Now I know better but to my child-self the idea of watching a show in black and white would have probably been utterly absurd 😂
I only wondered why they made, what appears to an outsider to be, the same show twice but with different names.

3 years ago

Well, without any spoilers if you haven't seen it yet, the 2019 Addams Family movie was great. And compare this scene to the original.

3 years ago

Thanks for the recommendation 😉

3 years ago

Judgment at Nuremberg (1961)

Great courtroom drama with a fantastic cast (Spencer Tracy, Burt Lancaster, Maximilian Schell, Marlene Dietrich, Judy Garland, William Shatner and more.) Brilliant performances, very captivating story (even though I already knew how it ends.) It was such an important movie, probably the first time the general public saw what really happened at the concentration camps (yes, it includes real KZ footage.) We know that those judges on trial were horrible people and the actors really make you hate the characters they're performing. That's how good they are. Especially the great Maximilian Schell, who won an Oscar for his stunning performance. Highly recommended! Probably my favourite courtroom drama as
of now.

But I think I'll have to watch some courtroom dramas that are about things I don't have a concrete opinion on. The last one I watched before this one was Inherit the Wind (1960), and that one was about being allowed to teach the evolution theory alongside creationism. And... well... I'm definitely biased on that one (let's just say I'm not a big fan of religion). So if there are any great courtroom dramas on more minor things where I don't have a biased opinion, I'd definitely like to watch them. Can anyone recommend anything?

3 years ago

But I think I'll have to watch some courtroom dramas that are about things I don't have a concrete opinion on.

I haven't seen many courtroom dramas but I suppose I can recommend JFK by Oliver Stone.
Fair warning though it's an extremely long movie 188 minutes in the normal,
206 minutes in the Director's cut version
and also one where you have to pay close attention to get anything out of it. Definitely not a movie to have running in the background while doing your dishes.

3 years ago

I mean Judgment at Nuremberg was 179 min, these courtroom dramas do profit from a longer runtime. And none of them are movies to have running in the background. But thanks, I'll definitely add JFK to my watchlist when I'm in the mood for another one of those movies. ^^

3 years ago

I should probably watch Judgment at Nuremberg at some point, given it's part of our shared history.

Yeah, that was proably an odd example but I actually tried to do that with JFK ~ half a year ago and after 15 minutes I realized I might as well have somebody read the telephone book to me 😅

3 years ago

Witness for the Prosecution, 12 Angry Men, To Kill a Mockingbird, Anatomy of a Murder.

3 years ago

All great recommendations, all already on my list. But thanks.

3 years ago

Kiki's delivery service. I saw it for the first time recently, gotta say that movie wasn't as amazing as I thought it would be. I wish it had a stronger sense of conclusion, also kiki is kind of an ass out of the blue sometimes which really threw me off. Though I definitely liked it a lot more than my neighbor totoro.

It was alright, definitely not a movie i'll deeply want to rewatch or anything like I do for spirited away.

3 years ago

Scream
It was very good. I thought it would be scary but surprisingly it was more funny than scary. And the plot twist is great.

3 years ago

Start the Revolution Without Me (1970)

I didn't think that Gene Wilder and Donald Sutherland would fit that well as a comedy duo. Or rather, as two duos, given the plot. Very funny gags like the ones centered around the narration by Orson Welles or the countless other ones because it's a Gene Wilder film. If you've seen one you know that they're hilarious. Hugh Griffith as a silly King Louis ("I thought it was a costume ball."), just a very funny movie overall. The ending came a bit abrupt, but was also done in a funny, original way. If you like the Monty Python movies, you'll definitely enjoy this, too!

3 years ago

1922 (2017)

Pretty predictable. Pretty much all the bloody action happens at the beginning. The movie does have a good, creepy atmosphere, though. But it's nothing special. Compared to Netflix' first Stephen King adaptation Gerald's Game (2017), this is not very good. I usually don't mind slow movies (I actually like most of the ones that I watched), but this one just drags.

3 years ago

Mimic (1997)

Great Guillermo del Toro movie. Amazing effects and gore! Very interesting story. Good performances. All in all a very good horror movie. Definitely recommended. (I probably won't watch the sequels, though.)

3 years ago

Apt Pupil (1998)

First of all, Apt Pupil is not a great title. I would never call any movie Apt Pupil. Just say it out loud a few timesand you'll know why.

But Ian McKellen's performance is very good for what he was given, which isn't that much. His character is pretty much just a representation of evil, as he himself described it in an interview around the time the movie came out. Very interesting and gripping story (based on a Stephen King novella) and an intense atmosphere.

3 years ago

The Trial of the Chicago 7 (2020)

What a movie! What a cast! Fantastic performances, a truly great modern courtroom drama. If there was an Academy Award for Best Ensemble Cast this one would definitely be a favourite for it, because they were all great. I can't really pick one out and say "that person should be nominated for Best Lead" or whatever. This movie should at least be nominated for its screenplay, if not for the movie itself. Highly recommended! If you want to watch one new movie right now, this should definitely be it. So powerful!

I don't use these words lightly, but this might just be a masterpiece.

3 years ago*

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.