Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

3 years ago

As Above, So Below (2014)

American horror film. Rewatched this yesterday. As good as it is on your first viewing, the second time around it's not as good imho.

3 years ago

Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002)

Japanese kaiju film. I feel like the concept of Mechagodzilla is washed-out. After all, this is already the 4th movie about Mechagodzilla. We get it. You're making a mechanical Godzilla to destroy Godzilla. And yeah, the weapons are definitely powerful enough for that task. But in the end they can only scare away Godzilla but they still see that as a victory. In my eyes this movie doesn't really serve any purpose. The human characters are good, but that's about it.

3 years ago

just Mercy (2019) worth watching

3 years ago

Kong: Skull Island - 7/10

3 years ago

Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. (2003)

Japanese kaiju film. So this is the only sequel in the Millennium era and it's to the Mechagodzilla film that didn't serve any purpose in my eyes? Greeeeeeaaat... At least this one has Mothra in it, so it's a bit better than the previous one, but still not good.

3 years ago

Godzilla: Final Wars (2004)

Japanese kaiju film. This movie commemorates the 50th anniversary of the franchise and is also the last movie of the Millennium era holy fuck, there are many kaiju in this one. 14 different kaiju, which are of course Godzilla himself, Rodan, Anguirus, Zilla (yes, from the bad american Godzilla movie from '98), King Caesar, Kamacuras, Kumonga, Manda, Ebirah, Gigan, Mothra, Minilla, Hedorah and Monster X / Keizer Ghidorah (spoilers, I guess). No wonder this is the longest Godzilla movie so far at 125 minutes but to fit all of those kaiju plus a good human story into the movie they had to make the kaiju fights relatively short. The CGI isn't that good, but it was cool to see so many kaiju in one movie and also veteran actors from the franchise. It also feels very anime-like with lots of action and mutant soldiers and whatever. So yeah, the movie is actually good for what it is. It's pretty over the top, but I feel like it's supposed to be. All in all it's a really fun and entertaining movie, so I can actually recommend it. Definitely a good send-off for the franchise for 10 years (the longest gap between any Godzilla movies) or 12 years (the longest gap between Toho Godzilla movies).

3 years ago

3 years ago

Shin Godzilla (2016)

Japanese kaiju film. First movie of the Reiwa era. The part where that Proto-Godzilla is only just evolving into actual Godzilla is pretty cool. After the original Godzilla (1954) this is the only other one with no other kaiju whatsoever. I feel like this is the first movie in the franchise where Godzilla's god-like powers really come across. It's a really new perspective in the franchise, mainly focusing on the governmental reactions to something like Godzilla and how politicians handle a situation like that. Definitely benefits the movie that there's no other kaiju in it. So the focus is on Godzilla, but the focus is really on the people and how they deal with it. Pretty innovative for the Godzilla franchise. I definitely like this one and can recommend it.

3 years ago

Pacific Rim - 7/10

3 years ago

So good! Sadly the sequel is so much worse. I mean for example in this one the camera angle is true to life. You see those kaiju as if you were just some human. Looking up to these towering monsters. In the second one the camera is just somewhere in the air, losing the sense of "you're really there". And that's not the only negative the sequel has. But yeah, the original Pacific Rim is definitely very good.

3 years ago

Visuals in this movie are really awesome and a big part i love to rewatch this movie... This franchise had so much potential i cant believe they managed to fuck it up... And also i like to pretend i didnt watch the sequel :D

3 years ago

Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters (2017)

Japanese computer-animated kaiju film. This is the first animated Godzilla movie. And animation is definitely a way better medium to tell this kind of story. Tons of scenes that would've looked way worse in live-action. So yeah, let's talk about Godzilla. But behind spoiler tags, because damn. The ending of the movie blew me away. They're fighting Godzilla all the way through the movie and after he dies it turns out that this was just an offspring (Godzilla Filius) and actual Godzilla has become ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE over the last 20000 years. Like holy fuck, I wasn't prepared for that. You should definitely watch this one, even if you've only seen a few Godzilla movies. I have high expectations for the two animated sequels.

3 years ago*

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

3 years ago

Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle (2018)

Japanese computer-animated kaiju film. Not quite as good as the previous one but ideas like Mechagodzilla City and that whole nanometal stuff are pretty cool. Again, there's a lot that works much better in this medium. Can't imagine how they would film half of the scenes in live-action. So all in all, if you see these three movies as one big movie, this would be the second act. And the second act is not quite as good. I did also expect the big reveal in the after credits scene, so it wasn't that much of a surprise.

3 years ago

Godzilla: The Planet Eater (2018)

Japanese computer-animated kaiju film. And here it is. This isn't only the last movie of the animated Godzilla trilogy, this is also the last japanese Godzilla movie as of now. An advantage these three animated Godzilla movies have is that they really can bring across a whole new level of epicness. Godzilla, King Ghidorah in this one, etc. Great sound design, pretty good animation and a good story, too. More focused on humanity than on big action and kaiju fights. Very good character development over these roughly 4,5 hours all together. Human/humanoid and Godzilla. Also great interpretations of Godzilla and King Ghidorah, albeit pretty different ones than we've seen before. This trilogy might best be watched as one long movie. But yeah, I can recommend it. If you don't mind some Godzilla movies without a lot of fights.

3 years ago*

I did warn you that trilogy was awesome.

3 years ago*

True, you did. :D

3 years ago

3 years ago

Godzilla (1998)

American monster film. Yes, it's come to this now. At almost 140 minutes a lot longer than even the longest japanese Godzilla movie. And as much as I thought I would despise this, it's not actually horrible for a random giant monster movie. It's absolutely not Godzilla, but if you just forget that it was supposed to be a Godzilla movie, it's okay. Full of common tropes and surprisingly boring (no matter how ridiculous some of the movies before this were, none were this boring.) Lots of lame jokes that don't land. The CGI isn't great (not as bad as the CGI in Dragonheart but not good either), maybe just average for the time. Pretty good, well known cast, who don't really shine as much as they are able to, but their performances are good enough. But yeah, there's a reason they didn't make this a trilogy as originally planned. There are jabs and references to this one in other japanese Godzilla movies. Toho actually use a kaiju based on this one called Zilla (because someone said the americans took the God out of Godzilla) in Godzilla: Final Wars (2004) but Godzilla swats it away with his tail and finishes him with his atomic breath and that's it. So yeah, all in all... and don't mind if I repeat myself... it's not a bad movie per se, but it has nothing to do with Godzilla.

3 years ago

Now go for the Gamera movies. As I said before, Gamera VS Monster X/Gamera VS Jiger is my favorite.

3 years ago

The Shining - 8/10

3 years ago

Doctor Sleep - 7/10

3 years ago

Godzilla (2014)

American monster film. I can't explain why, I just don't think it's very good. At least it's not Godzilla (1998), but something feels kinda off. Maybe the focus is too much on the military. It's just too american. I just got way too used to those japanese kaiju movies to enjoy a "good old american" monster movie. The sound design is also too hollywood IMHO. I just have enough of those droning sounds. Apart from their sound design (and that awful name) I actually kinda like the MUTO. They care about each other and their offspring, they're not just dumb monsters. But all in all this was still not very good. I got higher hopes for the one tomorrow because it got popular kaiju from the franchise in it.

3 years ago

Der Himmel über Berlin/Wings of Desire (1987)

German romantic fantasy drama film. Rewatched this yesterday and this second viewing confirmed me in my belief that this is an absolute masterpiece.

3 years ago

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

American monster film. The movie is pretty good for what it is. It definitely benefits from having well-known kaiju like Mothra, King Ghidorah and Rodan but also new ones who are a lot more creative than the MUTO. But the americans call them titans? Such a creative name... Anyway. The story is relatively good. The designs of all the kaiju (I'm not gonna call them titans), new and old, are very good. Good cast. I love that, during the credits, they play the original Gojira theme. Signifies my journey through the franchise as well. Because this is it. I've now watched every Godzilla movie out there. All 35. One thing I've learned is that no matter how silly I thought those earlier movies were, the new american ones just aren't as good. Which means that, yes BHTrellis188, I'll definitely watch the Gamera franchise at one point. It consists of only 12 movies so I can basically squeeze them into one week. But yeah, I've got enough of kaiju for now. And while I do recommend everyone who's interested to watch every single Godzilla movies I wouldn't recommend watching them like I did. Those 5 other movies I watched with my dad on saturdays definitely kept me sane, because as it turns out... there is such a thing as too much Godzilla. Although I would call myself a fan now. Not a megafan or anything, but the Godzilla franchise is definitely quite something.

3 years ago

The Mist - 6/10

3 years ago

Justice League Dark Apokolypse War.

FINALLY got to watch this today after setting up HBO Max and saw it was on there.

DAMN that was AMAZING! Loved the mention of the Flashpoint Paradox too, which was also amazing. This one is also supposed to be the end of the DCAMU movies, which is a shame. But if it is, then the way it went out is one I can be happy with.

HIGHLY recommended.

3 years ago

Scoob.
Another modern take on the classic Scooby Doo, but unlike the live action movies, this one did NOT suck.

In fact, it was actually quite good.

Damn this HBO Max. Now I might be following the the Curry Kings footsteps with movies. >_<

3 years ago

You might just do that. Can't wait to see more of your reviews here.

3 years ago

Actually, that was an exaggeration. I don't have as much time as you seem to do. :P

3 years ago

In weiter Ferne, so nah!/Faraway, So Close! (1993)

German fantasy drama film. Rewatched this one yesterday, because it's the sequel to Der Himmel über Berlin/Wings of Desire (1987). And this second viewing confirmed to me that you absolutely have to watch them together. This one is not a masterpiece, but it's still a very good movie in the context of the first one.

3 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.