Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Mother! - 5/10

3 years ago

Usually this is a movie you either love or you hate. Why are you all the way in the middle?

3 years ago

idk man, i really like movies from mr. aronofsky and i was really excited about this movie since he is the director/writer and cast was rock solid on paper, but the movie didnt deliver for me... basically im in the middle because im a fan of the guy and i did enjoy how uncomfortable the movie made me and acting was pretty good as expected but the story didnt interest me at all and i dont get why was this movie filmed if you get what i mean :) i hope he picks up his form because for me his last two movies were duds (noah and mother!).

3 years ago

Beginners (2010)

American romantic comedy-drama film. Very good cast (Christopher Plummer, Ewan McGregor, Mélanie Laurent), delivering strong performances. Especially Christopher Plummer, who finally won an Oscar for his role in this movie. The movie is all about love and different aspects of it (coincidentally making it a good movie to watch on Valentine's Day, I guess). Recommended!

3 years ago

Footloose (2011)

However, I watch the one from 1984 right before it. My neighbour never saw the movie. So we had to watch haha ;)

3 years ago

The Sound of Music (1965)

American musical drama film. Yes, I'm finally filling that gap. Great cast (Christopher Plummer and Julie Andrews, two absolute legends). Such an iconic movie! And for a very good reason. It definitely deserves all the praise it got and still gets. It really is as good as people say. So many iconic songs that you know even without having watched the movie (or at least that was the case for me), very good performances, good story, all around something I can highly recommend.
With this my Christopher Plummer week concludes. We've lost an immensely talented actor who would've had a few more years (and probably a few more great performances) in him, if it weren't for the fall that lead to his passing. RIP

3 years ago

Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood (1996)

American crime comedy parody film. Funny. I haven't seen any of the movies this one spoofs but I still thought it was pretty good for what it is. Definitely had interesting characters and a nice story.

3 years ago

We watched Lilo and Stitch with my Fiance last night because he hadnt seen the movie yet :D

3 years ago

Trouble with the Curve (2012)

3 years ago

Parasite. What a movie.

3 years ago

Warcraft (2016)

American action fantasy film. First of all, I've never played WoW. The only things I know about the games are that it's kind of an expensive hobby with that monthly fee or whatever, that South Park episode that was completely in the style of WoW and of Leeroy Jenkins! Oh yeah, and the Murlocs. glad to see (and hear) that Murloc in the movie for a few seconds But yeah... I thought the movie was good. Don't know if I would've liked it more or less if I was a fan of the games, but like this I enjoyed it. Good cinematography, cool action. Definitely entertaining.

3 years ago*

The Little Things - 7/10

3 years ago

Judas and the Black Messiah (2021)

American biographical drama film. And what a powerful movie this is! It's horrible that this movie's message is still so poignant, over 50 years after the events depicted in it. Very strong performances by a great cast (Daniel Kaluuya, Lakeith Stanfield, Dominique Fishback, Jesse Plemons and more). Definitely well worth the watch! Highly recommended. (Might be a great double feature together with The Trial of the Chicago 7, which is set during the same time and is about a similar topic.)

3 years ago

The Banker - 7/10

3 years ago

Shot Caller (2017) - what a great movie!
The ending is seriously depressing though.

3 years ago

Whiplash (2014)
It was a very good movie, i like it.

3 years ago

The White Tiger (2021)

American-indian drama film. And it's so good! Really interesting characters in a fascinating story that grips you the whole time, beautiful set and costume designs and cinematography, strong, convincing performances. I've seen some people say that this is India's "Parasite", but I can't fully agree. Yes, they're similar. In both you got the rich and the poor, their differences, murder and more, but I still think you can't just compare the two. Very entertaining nonetheless! And highly recommended! If you got Netflix you don't have any excuse not to watch this. You'll be surprised (as was I) by how good this movie is!

3 years ago*

The Andromeda Strain - 6/10

3 years ago

Attack the Block - 5/10

3 years ago

Last Vegas (2013)

American comedy film. I wouldn't say that this is just another sentimental movie about old people having fun, but it's nothing spectacular. The cast is stellar (Michael Douglas, Kevin Kline, Morgan Freeman, Robert De Niro) and the performances are very good as well. It is very good for what it is but it's not a masterpiece and it never will be. And that's okay. It's good enough. It's funny, it's dramatic, it's got a great cast, it makes you think. For all these reasons I can recommend it.

3 years ago

Outland - 6/10

3 years ago

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003)

American epic period war-drama film. Very good movie! Great performances, especially by Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany. Very captivating story but I still don't get the motivation behind it. Why do they want to take over that other ship? Just because? Nonetheless this is a very good movie and if you haven't seen it, you should.

3 years ago

Why do they want to take over that other ship?

Although it's somewhat of a classic I've actually seen this movie for the first time just over a year ago but I had to use Wikipedia to get the ship names and some other details right:

I'm not sure it's even explicitely mentioned in the movie and even if it is, it's very easy to overlook given the story focuses just on those two ships but the movie takes place during the Napoleonic Wars. Russell Crowe's ship, the HMS Surprise, gets orders from british admiralty to intercept and neutralize the french Privateer ship Acheron because it has been hampering british fleet operations in that area.

Apparently the novel the movie is based on (The Far Side of the World by Patrick O’Brian) is set during the war of 1812 and the other ship is the US-american USS Norfolk not the french Acheron. And since were already talking 2nd war of Indepence I highly recommend everybody to check out Tecumseh and his vision of a native nation based around the great lakes area. It's a different theatre of war during the same conflict but apparently he's a Canadian national hero and while it was very much an alliance out of necessity he did save the Canadian's / British's bacon 😅

3 years ago*

Yeah, they mentioned the Napoleonic Wars I think. Oh, he was given orders. Hmm... that didn't really stand out in the movie. But thanks. I've put those Tecumseh videos on my watch later list, they look interesting.

3 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

3 years ago

Office Space (1999)

American black comedy film. Rewatched this yesterday. Still very good! So funny.

3 years ago

+1. Amazing movie!

3 years ago

View attached image.
3 years ago

Explorers - 6/10

3 years ago

3 years ago

Promising Young Woman (2020)

American black comedy thriller film. Holy fuck, what a movie! That ending! No wonder this movie is collecting awards left and right. It's probably best to watch this movie without any previous knowledge about it, like I did. I didn't know what it's about, I only knew that it's good. And it was really good! That's also the reason I'm not writing anything else about it. Just watch it and you can see that I'm right. Definitely one of the best movies of this awards season.

3 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.