Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

3 years ago

i saw the GrUb hUb Ad

3 years ago

Requiem for a Dream - 8/10

3 years ago

Source Code

3 years ago

Nicholas Nickleby (2002)

British-American period comedy-drama film. The legendary Christopher Plummer passed away a few days ago, so like with others before I'll dedicate this week to him by only watching movies he was in. Some where he was the (or on of the) main character(s), others where he had smaller roles. Some older, some newer... he just has been in so many movies. So I'm watching two movies a day. And if my order arrives early enough, even the weekly rewatch will be a Plummer movie, the great Remember (2015). So now about this movie. Apparently it's based on a Charles Dickens novel, although I haven't heard of that one before. The story is surprisingly good and entertaining and doesn't get boring once, which is not easy for a movie with a runtime of 132 minutes. The performances are really good, too. Especially, and this was somehow a huge surprise for me, Charlie Hunnam as the main character. And Christopher Plummer plays his evil character so well, you just have to hate him while also admiring how great the actor's performance is. The rest of the cast is good, too (and full of familiar faces of talented actors in their own rights, like Anne Hathaway, Jamie Bell, Jim Broadbent, Alan Cumming, Timothy Spall, David Bradley and many more) but these two definitely stand out the most.
Being a Charles Dickens novel it's no surprise that this isn't the first adaptation of Nicholas Nickleby and not the last one either. I'm probably gonna check out some of the others as well some day. Because I really enjoyed this one. Definitely gonna look for the book, too. (If I had the money I'd buy this first edition signed by Charles Dickens himself, but alas. I am too poor.)

3 years ago

That's sad. Plummer was another of my favorite actors as well. He gave so many memorable performances. In Royal Hunt of the Sun, a very unusual movie about the conquest of the Inca empire, he plays Atahualpa vs Robert Shaw's Pizarro, and as Commodus in Mann's The Fall of the Roman Empire he was quite terrific (you know, that movie that Gladiator is based on ;). My favorite though was as Sherlock Holmes in Murder By Decree. Just love that one.

3 years ago

Definitely putting The Royal Hunt of the Sun on my list, but The Fall of the Roman Empire is already on my list and Murder By Decree is actually the next one I'm watching.

3 years ago

Dolores Claiborne (1995)

American psychological thriller drama film. It's very good. Christopher Plummer doesn't have the biggest role in this one, but it's still important to advance the plot. But the real star of the movie is obviously Kathy Bates, who really delivers a great performance here. I can definitely see why this is Kathy Bates' favourite movie role of her career. I still prefer Misery, but this one is up there as well. The rest of the cast is also very good (Jennifer Jason Leigh, David Strathairn, John C. Reilly and more) and David Strathairn's performance is also very good.

3 years ago

For some weird reason I've suddenly decided to watch Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. I mean, I had holidays, and I wanted to watch something silly and childish. Well, it's silly indeed, but it also lacks the British charm of even the worst of Harry Potter movies. I mean, I only watched Harry Potter for those numerous and incredibly talented adult British actors and for the general cozy britishness, but both are absent from Fantastic Beasts, and without them it's just another blockbuster. Even Colin Farrell is boring here. The only highlight is, well, the beasts, I'll give the filmmakers at least that.

3 years ago

Murder by Decree (1979)

British-Canadian mystery thriller film. Christopher Plummer as Sherlock Holmes, James Mason as Dr. Watson. Both play their characters pretty well. Also a very good supporting cast. The story is about Jack the Ripper and a conspiracy that he's a freemason and being protected by them. But it goes deeper than that in classic Sherlock Holmes fashion. I don't think Plummer and Mason will ever be my favourite Holmes and Watson, but their interpretations of the characters are definitely very interesting. The story is very good to.

3 years ago*

Inside Man (2006)

American heist thriller film. Very good cast (Christopher Plummer, Denzel Washington, Clive Owen, Jodie Foster, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Willem Dafoe and more) delivering good, believable performances. Interesting characters. Entertaining plot. Gripping story. Not Spike Lee's best m̶o̶v̶i̶e̶ joint, but definitely very good for what it is. I can only recommend it.

3 years ago

Invasion of the Body Snatchers - 7/10

3 years ago

Which one? 1956 or 1978? And those are only two of the four adaptations of the book, but the other two are called something else. Body Snatchers (1993) and The Invasion (2007). I feel like you probably watched the one from 1978, which is IMHO the best one. But the 1956 one is also very good, definitely watch it some time if you haven't already. The other two... don't bother.

3 years ago

I watched the 1978 one... But i plan on watching the 1956 in the near future :)

3 years ago

The Last Station (2009)

German-russian-british biographical drama film. Great cast! Christopher Plummer and Helen Mirren (delivering really good performances, both were nominated at the Oscars for this movie) as Leo and Sofya Tolstoy; James McAvoy and Paul Giamatti as other important characters in the (very good) story about one of the greatest novelists of all time. Check it out, it's definitely worth your time.

3 years ago

Pontypool, 2008.

Kind of horror, but rather thriller. Has a unique idea, great building of tension and expanding on characters, and has a LOT of style.
About 90% of the movie takes place in the same building and features only a handful of actors, and it makes excellent use of their relationships and the conveys the small town feeling excellently.
Sadly the ending didn't really land. Still, I'm very happy that I finally watched it. I think it's objectively rather a 6/10, maybe 7 if you really get into it.

3 years ago

Stage Struck (1958)

American drama film. Christopher Plummer's film debut! But the real star of the movie was Susan Strasberg. Surprisingly good all around. Can recommend. Not only for Christopher Plummer in his 20s. Oh, and Henry Fonda is also in the movie.

3 years ago

They Live - 7/10

3 years ago

Elsa & Fred (2014)

American romantic comedy-drama film. It's a beautiful movie! Christopher Plummer and Shirley MacLaine play so well off each other. The supporting cast is also very good. The story is a bit predictable but in a good way. It's nice to watch a movie that's new to you, but that already feels kinda familiar. All in all it's not a great movie but it's definitely good enough. If you're a fan of La Dolce Vita (1960) you'll enjoy this one especially.

3 years ago

Inside Daisy Clover (1965)

American drama film. Very good cast. Christopher Plummer, Robert Redford, Roddy McDowall, and others, but at its heart it's a Natalie Wood movie. And damn, she's good. It's also surprisingly dark in the last half hour or so. Definitely exceeded my expectations.

3 years ago

Vanilla Sky - 7/10

3 years ago

The Insider (1999)

American political thriller drama film. This one is really good! Great cast! Christopher Plummer, Russell Crowe, Al Pacino and many more great actors delivering amazing performances. Especially Russell Crowe. Just think about it. He was fantastic in this movie, then a year later in Gladiator and another year later in A Beautiful Mind. There are not many who can deliver fantastic performances in widely acclaimed movies in three consecutive years. It's a movie that makes you think. Definitely not shallow entertainment. Fantastic story! "A fictionalized account of a true story, it is based on the 60 Minutes segment about Jeffrey Wigand, a whistleblower in the tobacco industry, covering the personal struggles of him and CBS producer Lowell Bergman as they defend his testimony against efforts to discredit and suppress it by CBS and Wigand's former employer." And there's a reason it's 157 minutes long. Can't cut a big story like that down into 90 minutes or so. Absolutely one of Michael Mann's best movies and he has made a lot of great ones. I can definitely recommend this if you if you're in the market for something thought-provoking.

3 years ago*

Battle of Britain (1969)

British war film. What a cast! Christopher Plummer, Michael Caine, Laurence Olivier, Robert Shaw, Curd Jürgens, Ralph Richardson, Michael Redgrave, Ian McShane, Susannah York and many many more. Beautiful sets with hundreds of real WWII planes. Gorgeous machines. Nice conflicts in the air. All around not that much story, but it's still worth it for the stars and the cinematography. This movie just looks beautiful and you gotta be in awe of lots of the shots they got in there.

3 years ago

3 years ago

All the John Wicks...I would say: hmmm. Actually: meh. It is action, but that's about it. If you want to see a guy killing 300 dudes and dudettes (are there any?) in a creative way, it could be entertaining. The story is pretty much, what you've seen before (not in detail of course, but also nothing to start your brain before watching). Don't get me wrong, I am not saying the movies are bad, but they are definitely not what I would recommend or keep in mind for a long time.

3 years ago

All the Money in the World (2017)

American political crime thriller drama film. This is the movie that Christopher Plummer replaced Kevin Spacey for. And he plays his role as J. Paul Getty so well, I'm sure there'd be no case in which Spacey would've done a better job. Gripping plot based on a story some of you have probably heard before. The kidnapping of John Paul Getty III in 1973. Good performances, especially by Christopher Plummer as J. Paul Getty and Charlie Plummer (no, they're not related) as his grandson John Paul Getty III. Definitely worth the watch.

3 years ago

I just noticed how many good movies were missing on Netflix, I thought I have watched all the good movies out there, until I found imdb popular list
Palmer 8/10
The Little Things 6/10
Greenland 6/10
Dark Waters 8/10
Promising Young Woman 9/10

3 years ago

The Fall of the Roman Empire (1964)

American epic film. And typically for an epic, this one has quite a runtime. 188 minutes. Over 3 hours! And SO. MANY EXTRAS. It also has a (pun intended) epic cast. Christopher Plummer, Stephen Boyd, Sophia Loren, Alec Guinness, James Mason, Omar Sharif, and many more. This is, as Melisand pointed out in a reply to my review of Nicholas Nickleby (2002) which I watched on monday, "that movie that Gladiator is based on". So if you've seen Gladiator, you'll find something to enjoy here too. Definitely not something to watch if you're looking for some 90 minutes of shallow entertainment. I feel like this movie should be watched on the big screen, as should any epic. But even on my (in comparison) tiny monitor it was very good. I can only recommend it if you feel like watching an epic.

3 years ago*

Remember (2015)

Canadian-german drama-thriller film. Rewatched this one yesterday and it's still great! Fantastic cast (Christopher Plummer, Martin Landau, Bruno Ganz, Jürgen Prochnow) in a fantastic story. I can only highly recommend this! It's truly a great movie and absolutely one of my favourites by Christopher Plummer.

3 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.