Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Icarus - 7/10

3 years ago

I care a lot - 6.5/10

3 years ago

Monster Hunter - 4/10

3 years ago

Mulholland Dr. (2001)

American surrealist neo-noir mystery film. What a movie! While it isn't my favourite by Lynch, I still think it's very good! But I'll definitely have to watch this one again at some point. It's just one of those movies that you don't get on your first viewing. It's feels kinda like waking up and remembering most of a dream but not enough to really make sense of it. Technically this movie is very good. Great performance by Naomi Watts, but the supporting cast is also good. The soundtrack, the cinematography, everything is very fitting for the topic of the movie. Even when nothing happens, it is suspenseful. I can only recommend this if you haven't seen it yet.

3 years ago

Flight of the Navigator - 7/10

3 years ago

The Boys from Brazil (1978)

British-American thriller film. Stellar cast! Laurence Olivier, Gregory Peck, James Mason, Steve Guttenberg, Lilli Palmer, Uta Hagen, Rosemary Harris, Bruno Ganz, Sky du Mont and more! Great performances, especially Gregory Peck as Josef Mengele and Laurence Olivier as an aging Nazi hunter. Very captivating story about Josef Mengele and his plot to found a Fourth Reich by cloning lots of little Hitlers. Sounds silly at first, but trust me. It's enthralling. It always fascinates me how great of an actor Lord Olivier was. He delivered a great performance as an old Nazi based on Josef Mengele in Marathon Man (1976) and another great performance as an old Nazi hunter in this one. I highly recommend watching them both, maybe even as a double feature.

3 years ago

Another Round (2020)

Danish comedy drama film. Definitely leans more to the drama side. Great performances, such an intriguing story. Here's a review from imdb user mbrcf who was able to put my exact thoughts into words better than I would've been able myself.
"Four close friends who are all high school teachers decide to maintain a specific blood rate of alcohol in their bodies in order to become happier, function better at work and social life, and get along better with their lives. What happens in this process of controlled alcoholism testing and its results consist the main storyline of Another Round, a collaboration of Mads Mikkelsen and Thomas Vinterberg.

Each one of these four are explored individually for us to become acquainted with them and get to know their lives, their responsibilities and their problem whether at work or at home. But the film really shines in the scenes that all four are together, drinking, talking about their drinking thesis, laughing and sometimes, crying. This film is about alcohol consumption as much as midlife crisis, isolation, everyday repetition, loneliness, hopelessness and anhedonia. It's a film that resonates with all of us, it's about everyone in this world who struggles with serious problems in one's life and sees the solution in drinking regularly."

Overall well worth the watch. Also because it's already on the Oscars short list for International Feature Film and has good chances at a nomination. Can't speculate more because I haven't seen the other movies in that category yet.

3 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

3 years ago*

The Lunchbox (2013)

Indian-French-German-American epistolary romance film. Pretty good for what it is. Very good performances, especially by Irrfan Khan and Nimrat Kaur, who play the two main characters. The story is also very interesting. Very slice-of-life. Nothing outstanding, but for what it is, it's pretty good.

3 years ago*

Life After Beth (2014)

American zombie comedy film. The first hour is a bit irritating. The rest (another half hour) is better when the others also return, but also a bit chaotic. Overall not as good as I wanted it to be. Good performances, though. For once I'm actually happy about a movie being under 90 minutes long. I thought this would be an interesting spin on the zombie genre, but... well. Not as good as it could've been. Maybe it would've been better as a series. That said, I don't think I completely wasted my time with this, but it wasn't anything more than okay.

3 years ago

Tomorrowland (2015)

American science fiction fantasy adventure film. The concept is very interesting, but the movie doesn't really reach its potential. It could've been so good, but something was missing. The characters were interesting, played by good actors, the plot was good, the effects and the cinematography were nice. But yeah, there was this one little spark missing.

3 years ago

Mr. Destiny (1990)

American fantasy comedy film. Very good cast (James Belushi, Linda Hamilton, Michael Caine, Jon Lovitz, Courteney Cox and more). Classic "this is what your life would've been but in the end your normal life is better" story, so nothing outstanding here. But still good and very enjoyable. Definitely something I can recommend.

3 years ago

Contempt (1963)

French New Wave drama film. Great cast (Brigitte Bardot, Fritz Lang and more). Interesting movie about about the artificiality of making a movie. No wonder Fritz Lang, one of the greatest filmmakers of all time, plays himself in this. The cinematography is beautiful (and so is Brigitte Bardot). Overall the movie is very interesting because of its cast, but nothing great. It's not bad, but nothing I'd watch again. So Alphaville (1965) is still my favourite Godard.

3 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

3 years ago*

Us (2019)

American horror film. Rewatched this one yesterday and it's still so good! Highly recommended if you haven't seen it already. Great movie.

3 years ago

Systemsprenger/System Crasher (2019)

German drama film. Very good performances, especially by newcomer Helena Zengel. Here's a review from imdb user salvatore-669-264656 who put it into words better than I could've done.

"System Crasher is an unforgiving and brutal examination of 9-year-old girl Benni, whose anger issues and past trauma hinder her from finding permanent care.
System Crasher is unforgiving because of its realism. There's no glimmer of hope. It's simply the life of a child who cannot be saved by her society. From desperate and annoyed care takers to a clueless system which fails Benni, she cannot cope with her trauma and resorts to violence and anger. Helena Zengel embodies this anger almost perfectly and manages to walk the thin line between authenticity and sympathy. You can't help but feel for her, even though she continuously screams at everyone. These screams symbolise her inner struggle and the deeply rooted pain she suffers from being abused and abanoned. With close to two hours it's a tough movie that feels longer than it is, but it's worth it and so important."

In my opinion it didn't even feel much longer than 2 hours, but the rest of the review describes the movie perfectly. Might be one of the best german movies of the last few years. Definitely recommended!

3 years ago

News of the World (2020)

American Western drama film. Very good cast, especially Tom Hanks and (again) Helena Zengel. I mean if she's this good and has opportunities like this at her age, imagine what she'll do in the future. Definitely have to keep an eye on her career, she will probably be very big. She can play an intense lead and also among huge stars. Now about the movie. The story is very good, the cinematography as well. Didn't think I'd like the movie as much as I do. Definitely check this one out, too. And as some of you know, I don't even really like westerns. So yeah. These two movies today absolutely convinced me that this young girl will have a great future ahead of her. Watch them both.

3 years ago

A Tale of Two Sisters (2003)

South Korean psychological horror-drama film. So good! Scary, lots of suspense, great story, interesting characters. Definitely ripe for a second viewing some time to understand everything, but still really good on the first viewing, too. Definitely recommended!

3 years ago*

Angel Heart. 1987. Psychological horror movie, starring Mickey Rourke and Robert de Niro.
8/10

3 years ago

Knock on Wood (1954)

American comedy film. Very good story. Danny Kaye is brilliant in this, as he was in pretty much everything. The supporting cast is also good. Funny gags, good musical numbers. It's not the best Danny Kaye movie, but still pretty good and definitely entertaining. I can only recommend it, especially if you're a fan of his work.

3 years ago

The Professor (2018)

American comedy drama film. And it's definitely very much more on the drama side. Real tearjerker. Very good performances, especially by Johnny Depp as the main character, a professor who gets told that he has stage 4 lung cancer and that he has only a year to live at best and suddenly his whole life changes. He plays that very realistic. Highly recommended.

3 years ago

Nomadland (2020)

You kinda need to be in the right mood to watch it. Reminded me that other movie The Lady in the Van (2015) with Dame Maggie Smith.

3 years ago

C.H.U.D. (1984)

American science fiction horror film. It's good. Interesting characters played by some recognizable faces, a nice story and definitely some good gore. Not a great movie by any means, but good for what it is. Definitely entertaining.

3 years ago

C.H.U.D. II: Bud the Chud (1989)

American zombie comedy film. So the first one made some money. What do you do now? Of course make a sequel that's only loosely based on the original and also includes zombies. Because why not? Well, because it won't turn out very good. Gerrit Graham is good as the main zombie. An interesting bit about the movie is also that Brian Robbins, who plays one of the main characters, is actually the president of Nickelodeon now. So that's neat. To think that the president of Nickelodeon started out in campy horror movies like this one. The movie is not very good. But surprisingly... it isn't as bad as I expected. And there's also a cameo by an absolute horror legend. So if you want to watch a campy '80s horror comedy, that has pretty much nothing to with the movie it got it's name from, this is exactly what you're gonna get here. I guess that in a way I even like this more than the original.

3 years ago

Angel Heart (1987)

American-canadian-british neo-noir psychological horror film. Starts off slow, but ties off pretty great in the end. Very good performances by Mickey Rourke (back when he still looked human) and Robert De Niro. Great story. Can't write much about it, because pretty much every interesting this would give away important plot points, but just know that this movie is very good and I can definitely highly recommend it.

3 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.