Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)

American drama film. Fantastic performances by a great cast. Very interesting story. Different than what I expected, but still a very good movie. And it made Marlon Brando. It was only his second movie and he delivers an amazing performance. Definitely check this movie out if you haven't seen it yet.

2 years ago*

I wish they made more movies out of play nowadays. This one is the very definition of an amazing adaptation to the screen.
Brando was perfect in that role. I have seen several versions on stage and while some surprised me, they never came close to Brando's portrayal.

2 years ago

Justice League: Doom / 7/10

2 years ago

Settlers

I was surprised by this one, honestly. It's definitely not a scifi movie for action seekers and SFX chasers but it's a very good tale of isolation and character story.
The cast was also surprisingly good. Didn't know most of them (besides Sofia Boutella who wasn't great in other movies I saw but really did a good job here) and they carry a slow burn script all the way to the end.

2 years ago

Hellzapoppin' (1941)

American comedy musical film. This is one of the craziest, most out there movies of all time. It's a movie abo The most fourth wall breaks I've ever seen in a movie, and some of the most original ones, too. It even spoils the ending of Citizen Kane (which came out just half a year earlier) in a throwaway line. Great jokes and visual gags. Absolutely one of whackiest comedies of all time. And it absolutely still holds up after 80 years. So far ahead of its time. If you don't thoroughly enjoy this, there's something wrong with you. Highly recommended!

2 years ago

M - Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder (1931)

German thriller film. Such a great movie! And so influential to pretty much every thriller and crime film that came out after this one. So entertaining, even 90 years later. Great performances, especially by Peter Lorre who was mainly known as a comedy actor before this but delivered a brilliant performance as a child murderer in this one. Especially the last 15 minutes are breathtaking. Shooting some scenes completely silent is a great effect. You'll see what I mean when you watch the movie. Fantastic story. This could come out today and would still be ahead of its time. What an absolute masterpiece! Definitely go watch it if you haven't already.

2 years ago

Sadly one of those movies that are now the kind of ninja masterpieces most people will never watch.
Worth it for Lorre alone... and topped off with some of the best writing and directing in the history of movies.

At least they'll never remake this one.

2 years ago

At least they'll never remake this one.

M - Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder (2019)

I haven't seen it because I never properly watched the original but it's supposedly pretty good. They moved it to the present, added the refugee crisis of 2015 and a young politician on the up.

Maybe I'm a little bit positively biased because it's an Austrian production 😅

Edit: Added a Spoiler tag for my little "summary". Not that I could spoil much since I haven't seen it but if it was me I'd still rather not know.

2 years ago*

Oh dear Gods!

At least it's not a Hollywood movie. There's no way it can equal the original in atmosphere and tension though. IMDB ratings are terrible but if politics are involved, that's hardly a surprise.

I'll check it out though. I like to watch movies before deciding if I hate them ;)

Thanks for the tip. You learn something new every day

2 years ago

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 1 - 7/10

2 years ago

Seven Years Bad Luck (1921)

American silent comedy film. You probably know of that mirror trick where there's no mirror at all and there's just a similar looking guy doing the exact same things as the guy in front of the mirror. Yes, that gag comes from this movie. As well as so many other fun gags. Seven Years Bad Luck is still very funny and entertaining 100 years after its release! And let's talk about the star of this film. Max Linder. THE first international movie star and one of the first recognizable recurring characters in film. Sadly he took his own life in 1925 at the age of 41 after years of severe depression and other mental health problems he developed after returning from WWI. He was a huge inspiration to silent film comedians who came after him, particularly Charlie Chaplin. I feel like if he lived longer, he would've been remembered more these days. Sadly, like this, he pretty much slipped into obscurity.

2 years ago

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2 - 7/10

2 years ago

Romance with Double-Bass (1911)

Russian silent comedy short film. This was funny, but that's about it. Nothing special in my eyes. But then again, I haven't read Anton Chekhov's short story this is based on.

2 years ago

The Man with the Rubber Head (1901)

French short silent film. Great special effects for the time, but if you know Georges Méliès' work you know how amazing he was. Definitely recommended, although I've seen better stuff by Georges Méliès.

2 years ago

Je vous aime (1891)

French short silent film. It's kinda sweet. It's a 1 second close-up of a guy's face (Georges Demenÿ, who also directed this) saying "je vous aime" or "I love you" in french. It's probably educational, to see if you can see what actors on film are saying (which of course worked out so we got silent film but as scripts got more complex they added intertitles, which have nothing to do with this short but I wanted to mention it anyway). So yeah, it's super innovative for the time. And it's sweet that for that experiment the guy chose the words "I love you". If you can spare a second, definitely go watch this.
And with that this year's "I watch a movie that's new, one that's 10 years old, 20 years old and so on" comes to an end. Yes, I still have to think of a better title for it. There were a lot of great movies this year. Some surprisingly good.

2 years ago

last three movies I watched:

• Rurouni Kenshin: The Beginning: Newest entry to the Rurouni Kenshin live action franchise.

• The Last Mercenary (2021): Fun brainless action comedy featuring Jean-Claude Van Damme.

• The Suicide Squad (2021): Newest entry in the Suicide Squad franchise featuring Margot Robbie, Idris Elba, Sylvester Stallone, and John Cena.

2 years ago

How did you get to see Suicide Squad a week early?

2 years ago

a screening with a live Q&A

2 years ago

Lucky.

2 years ago

QUIQUECK & HÄMAT - PROLL OUT - SPECIAL EDITION
A independent movie from Thomas Zeug
Commedy/Science-Fiction
German only / No Subs
Free @ YouTube

2 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

2 years ago

Just saw Gunpowder last night.
6.0 is a fair rating, stupidly deep cast list but for me John Wick raised the bar for these type of movies and while it's good, it's not amazing good.

Worth it just for Karen of course.

Oh and last movie I saw in an actual theatre .... Terminator 2. A looong time ago now.

2 years ago

Honestly don't get everyone comparing Gunpowder Milkshake to John Wick. For one thing it's a comedy. For another there are... well... characters. John Wick is revenge rampage with minimum dialog and maximum action. The idea is as little plot as possible, as much destruction as can be crammed into a movie.

They're two very different movies.

2 years ago

Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008)

It is bad. The tv show is much better, though.

I'm going through all of cannon Star Wars.

2 years ago

Sweet Virginia (2017) - 6/10
Run (2020) - 7/10
Leave no Trace (2018) - 7.5/10

2 years ago

Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines or How I Flew from London to Paris in 25 Hours 11 Minutes (1965)

British period comedy film. Rewatched this yesterday and it's still very good and funny.

2 years ago

Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox - 8/10

2 years ago

EASILY one the the best of the DCAU movies.

2 years ago

the best one i watched so far :)

2 years ago

Pig (2021)

American thriller drama film. This is a really good movie. Great performance by Nic Cage in a very heartfelt movie about a guy who's searching for his pig. This definitely exceeded my expectations. I heard it was good, but it was even better than I thought it would be. Definitely check this out!

2 years ago

Jungle Cruise - 5/10

2 years ago*

Justice League: War - 7/10

2 years ago

You seem to be on a bit of a DCAU trip these days. :D

2 years ago

yeah :D a few weeks ago i decided to rewatch Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker for nostalgia and now i gotta see them all :D

2 years ago

The Empty Man (2020)

American supernatural horror thriller film. Very interesting concept. Great, creepy atmosphere. Fantastic sound design. Overall great cosmic horror, sadly really underappreciated because when Disney acquired Fox they didn't know how to market this film. Definitely a surprise in my eyes, because when I first heard of it I thought it was some Slender Man bullshit. But after watching it I can really say I found a hidden gem. So... if you're looking for a good new creepy horror movie that doesn't rely on cheap jumpscares, absolutey check this one out!

2 years ago

It's been a couple weeks since I've watched a movie, but I saw Black Widow in theatres a couple weekends ago. Went with two of my brothers and a friend. Pretty good movie overall.

2 years ago

okay here's a good list ordered by most recent watched: https://letterboxd.com/letsmaybelp92/list/2021-movies-ranked/by/added/ The ranks is where I put them in respect to each other.

2 years ago

Baahubali The Beginning.

It was... an experience.

2 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.