Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Black Widow (2021)

What a dumpster fire of a movie. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that Marvel is employing an AI for writing the stories in its cinematic universe. It's kind of impressive what they made this time. The movie is so generic that it's bordering on experimental. Notable mention goes to Taskmaster and how they butchered a rather interesting villain from the comics. In case anyone from Marvel is on SG and reading this: genderbending an iconic character is fine, as long as the said character comes with a compelling story and motives. Just turning someone into a woman and calling it a day is not even a bare minimum.

1,5/10

2 years ago

Yeah, it is quite dispointing. The only highlight is the performance of Florence Pugh

2 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

2 years ago

Horror Noire: A History of Black Horror (2019)

American documentary film. At only 83 minutes a bit too short, but other than that, very good. Lots of well known faces of black horror including actors, directors and other experts on the topic. Very informative, it goes from movies like Birth of a Nation (1915), in which black people (played by white actors in blackface) are portrayed as pretty much the root of all evil and inferior to white people, over movies like Night of the Living Dead (1968) where the hero was a black guy but he still got killed off by a white mob at the end to modern black horror movies like Get Out (2017). Cutting from people talking about those movies to clips of them, this documentary is very entertaining and might even introduce you to great movies you haven't heard of. And while I personally haven't seen all of the movies shown and mentioned in this documentary, I have at least heard of the other few, so none of them were new to me. Still, if you're not that much of a horror film nerd as me, you'll definitely find something you'd wanna watch immediately.

2 years ago

A Quiet Place Part II

Never seen the first part so I was personally confused at some things, but it didn't hinder my experience that much. Overall it was pretty great and impressive in my opinion. Gave it a 4/5 "rating" after the first watch. Would recommend to others

2 years ago

Mon Oncle (1958)

French comedy film. Rewatched this yesterday. Such a great movie.

2 years ago

The Help (2011)

American period drama film. It's very good. Based on real events. Amazing performances by a great cast. Very powerful. Definitely worth the watch. Highly recommended!

2 years ago

Infinite.

Absolute garbage.

2 years ago

Black Widow (2021)

American superhero film. Saw this yesterday at the cinema. It's good. Nothing outstanding or anything, but definitely entertaining. Some interesting new characters. If you just want to shut off your brain and enjoy some action, watch this. But don't expect a masterpiece.

2 years ago

No Sudden Move (2021)

American period crime thriller film. Great cast including Don Cheadle, Benicio del Toro, Brendan Fraser (yes, he's back in acting), Kieran Culkin, Jon Hamm, David Harbour, Ray Liotta, Bill Duke, Noah Jupe, even Matt Damon in an uncredited role. Definitely a star-studded movie. Directed by Steven Soderbergh, written by Ed Solomon. From the get-go it sounds like this would be a fantastic movie. But it isn't. It has some pacing issues, the story is a bit too predictable at times, and I don't think the cast is used to their full potential. The whole thing being shot with a fish-eye lens looks weird at first, but you get used to it pretty quickly. That being said, I enjoyed it. For what it is, even with it's flaws, it's a decent crime thriller. You do have to pay attention, though. This is not a movie you'll get when you don't pay attention. There are quite a few plot twists. The story is surprisingly original, despite the aforementioned predictability at some points. All in all I'd say it's very good for what it is. I'd recommend it, but it's not for everyone.

2 years ago

The Tomorrow War - 6/10

2 years ago

My Blue Heaven (1990)

American crime black comedy film. It's very much Goodfellas but funny. It's very connected to Goodfellas. Both films are based on the life of Henry Hill. Goodfellas was released one month after this movie. It was based on the book Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi and the screenplay for this movie was written by Nora Ephron, his wife. They did the research with Henry Hill at the same time. So yeah, these movies really belong together in a way. That said, while not on the level of Goodfellas, this is still very good for what it is. Great cast (Steve Martin, Rick Moranis, Joan Cusack and lots of other recognizable faces). Fun and clever written script and characters, performed very well by everyone involved. This is just a real feelgood movie. Might just make for the perfect double feature with Goodfellas. Highly recommended, especially since it's so underappreciated. I mean... did you know it exists?

2 years ago*

GREAT movie. This is all I can say about it.

2 years ago

The Purge (2013)

American dystopian action-thriller film. It's an interesting concept, but the execution just falls kinda flat for me. For what it is, it's surprisingly boring. On the upside, it's under 90 minutes long. I'm watching the other movies from the franchise over the coming days, I really hope they're better than this one.

2 years ago

Yesterday - big Beatles fan but plot is a bit all over the place tbh not something i'd watch again

2 years ago

Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard - 6/10

2 years ago

Druk - 7/10

2 years ago

It was decent, but I'm still surprised that it won Best International Feature Film at this year's Oscars. The other nominees were all so much better.

2 years ago

probably won because of Mads :D i didnt watch any of the other nominees... im planning to watch Quo vadis, Aida. did you watch it?

2 years ago

Quo Vadis, Aida? is a masterpiece! It's definitely one of the most important movies in a while. Jasna ĐuričiΔ‡'s performance was so good, she should've easily won that Best Actress Oscar, but she wasn't even nominated.

2 years ago

And the other nominees are also definitely worth watching.

Collective is most incredible documentary I've seen in ages. Doesn't even feel like a documentary, that's how good it is. But there's always the thing in your mind, that these horrible things actually happened and that the people you see were involved with the whole thing.

Better Days is a very good anti-bullying movie, albeit on this list only a bit better than Druk.

The Man Who Sold His Skin is super entertaining.

But yeah, Quo Vadis, Aida? is absolutely one of the best movies of last year.

2 years ago

i guess i know which movie is next on my watchlist :D and Collective looks incredible cant wait to watch it... thank you for the info :)

2 years ago

The Purge: Anarchy (2014)

American dystopian action horror film. The characters in this are a lot less one dimensional than the ones in The Purge (2013). This one focuses on poor people, who are generally way more affected by the Purge than rich people like the family in the original. Does make for a more interesting script and everything. The last ~30 minutes are pretty good. Definitely better than its predecessor, albeit not by that much. It still isn't a great movie. On the other hand, it doesn't really have to be, though.

2 years ago*

The Croods - A New Age
I :LOVED the first one. This one, wasn't the greatest but not the worst. Wasn't thrilled by the first 1/3 of the movie but I liked the rest of it. I'd have to admit that the best parts were the conversations with the punch monkeys. THOSE had me almost literally fall out of my seat laughing.

All in all, a good 7/10.

2 years ago

Black Widow - 6/10

2 years ago

Annette

2 years ago

The Purge: Election Year (2016)

American dystopian political action horror film. Another spin on the whole thing. This time nobody has immunity. While the first movie was told from the view of the rich and the second was told from the view of the poor, this one's told from the political side. I mean it's literally called Election Year. There are opposing party representatives. Most of the movie is revolving around the politics of one of them being against the Purge and wanting to abolish it and the other one is for the Purge. Still not a very good movie. So far this franchise fell pretty flat for me. I hope the other two movies are better.

2 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

2 years ago

No Sudden Move - 6/10

2 years ago

The First Purge (2018)

American dystopian action thriller film. I don't even know what to say. What were they thinking? "We made 3 movies on this already, let's make on to show how it all started"? Yeah, this is the worst Purge movie so far. I only hope The Forever Purge (2021) will be better tomorrow. Otherwise this whole franchise is bad.

2 years ago

The whole franchise is bad.

2 years ago

Yep.

2 years ago

Space Jam A New Legacy.

I went in with VERY low expectations with this and I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was actually really good.

ALL the references. ALL the nostalgia seeing the characters I remember in the crowds.

ALL the IP's they bought........

All in all, a good 8/10.

2 years ago

Reservoir Dogs (1992)

American crime film. Just rewatched this. Still a great movie.

2 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.