Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

2 years ago

The Yellow Sea - 7/10

2 years ago

Wristcutters: A Love Story (2006)

American black comedy fantasy road movie. After our main character kills himself we're in purgatory, which is pretty much exactly like real life, but everything is slightly worse and literally less colourful. And now the question is: What do you do? He gets to know some people and... well. I won't spoil anything. But this movie is so original. Not only because of the setting. Great cast as well, tons of recognizable faces. And so entertaining. Definitely worth watching!

2 years ago*

Mother - 8/10

2 years ago

Avengers: Endgame. I fell asleep during the movie therefore couldn't fully watch.

2 years ago

This Is the End (2013)

American apocalyptic comedy film. The concept of this movie is great. "Six Los Angeles celebrities are stuck in James Franco's house after a series of devastating events just destroyed the city. Inside, the group not only have to face the apocalypse, but themselves." It's full of well-known actors playing themselves. It's fun, but don't expect a masterpiece. Must've been fun to shoot, though.

2 years ago

Fun fact- This is also the final movie the Blockbuster franchise ever rented out from a store before they closed up.

2 years ago

Catch-22 (1970)

American black comedy war film. Rewatched this yesterday. Very good on the first watch, not so much on the second one, since most of the fun comes from "this is so absurd, I wonder what happens next". So... definitely recommend to watch once. The cast is still fantastic, though.

2 years ago*

Boss Level 👍

2 years ago

What Dreams May Come (1998)

American fantasy drama film. It's visually beautiful, well acted, very emotional... just really good. The main character (played by Robin Williams) dies in an accident early on in the movie and most of it is set in heaven (and I feel like it's the most beautiful portrayal of heaven I've seen so far. None of that cloudy, all white bullshit (like in This Is the End, which I watched yesterday) but really personal. The main character and his wife were painters, so his heaven is one of the landscapes they drew together and he can shape it however he wants because it's his). Later we get to see hell as well (which, again, looks really interesting. Obviously not as colourful as heaven but super unique). The whole movie is just beautiful. Not quite emotional enough to be a tearjerker (maybe moreso if you're a father) but still very touching. Definitely teaches you about love, life and death, loss and grief. The cast is great and the story (based on a novel by the great Richard Matheson) is, too. I don't know why I never heard of this movie before. Maybe it wasn't really marketed towards children (and me, being a child in 1998 just didn't care (I knew Robin Williams, I loved Flubber back then)). Maybe it wasn't marketed in Germany a lot for whatever reason. Who knows? Anyway, if you (like me) missed this movie back then, you should definitely watch it now. Highly recommended.

2 years ago

I had the pleasure of seeing this in theaters in 1998, and was an experience like no other.

Visually stills holds up, and is still very creative and stunning. Storywise now I note some flaws, but this is a very underrated movie.

Some trigger warnings if you are coping with some elements of the plot.

2 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

2 years ago

"Diabolique (1996) - IMDb(5.4) 👌" ? They remade Les Diaboliques (1955)?

2 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

2 years ago

Dr. Jekyll & Sister Hyde (1971)

British horror film. I think it's actually suprisingly good for what it is. Didn't expect that with a cheesy title like this. Nice spin on the old story of Jekyll and Hyde. It even includes elements of Burke and Hare and Jack the Ripper. Still not my favourite Jekyll and Hyde movie, that would be the 1931 version, but this one is still very unique in the sea of all the countless adaptations of the original story. So definitely worth watching.

2 years ago

BlacKKKlansman.

Amazing movie, poignant and funny, and very well made.

2 years ago

Army of the Dead. It was pretty underwhelming. The certain style is confusing and conflicted, Comedy? Action? Horror? Drama? When you try and combine all these things it is for me hard to take a film like this seriously sometimes.

The long montage credit scene at the beginning was almost enough for me to stop watching it.

And yep IMDB agrees, I would give it a generous 6/10. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0993840/

2 years ago

Tokyo! (2008)

French-korean-japanese drama anthology film. It contains three segments written by three non-Japanese directors, all of which were filmed in Tokyo. So naturally this review is gonna be subdivided into three parts.

"Interior Design", directed by Michel Gondry.
A young woman and her boyfriend move to Tokyo together. He's a director and is about to screen his movie there, but she has no actual ambitions. At first they're staying at a friend's place but then they want to buy an apartment for themselves. They both don't have a lot of money so they're looking for work at the same place. He gets hired, she doesn't. Later, he is screening his movie to a small audience and they actually like it, but she is just the director's girlfriend. She has hobbies, but really no ambitions whatsoever. She feels that she's lost her purpose in life and changes accordingly. But definitely not like you would expect.

"Merde", directed by Léos Carax.
This one is about Monsieur Merde, the character I saw last week in Holy Motors. A dirty, blind in one eye, red-haired man wearing a green suit emerges from a manhole and starts stomping through Tokyo, smoking, eating flowers and paper money, attacking people. Accompanied by the Godzilla theme. And the same way he appeared, he disappeared again. Into a manhole. The next time he's out he's randomly throwing grenades into crowds of people (for fun, I assume. he just found them down there and decided to use them) and then he disappears into another manhole. He's getting caught and put in jail, awaiting trial and they find a lawyer who actually speaks the gibberish language Monsieur Merde speaks and... I won't spoil the rest, but just let me say that it's fascinating. After Holy Motors and this movie I really want to see more of that character.

"Shaking Tokyo", directed by Bong Joon-ho.
A hermit who hasn't left his house for over 10 years and only has any human contact when his mail or his weekly pizza gets delivered (and even then he never looks them in the eyes) has to suddenly change his way of life when an earthquake renders an attractive pizza delivery girl unconcious in his doorway. He has to make direct contact to help her and after she leaves he questions his life decisions. Does he even want to be a hermit? So he goes out and tries to find her, but the world is not how he remembers it.

All three segments are beautifully shot, very interesting little slice-of-life type stories of totally different people in the same city. With a few tweaks these stories would work in other cities and cultures as well, but like this they're Tokyo! Recommended!

2 years ago

The Dream Team (1989)

American comedy thriller film. Four mental patients (played by Michael Keaton, Christopher Lloyd, Peter Boyle and Stephen Furst) are going on a trip to a baseball game at Yankee Stadium with their doctor who accidentally encounters two corrupt cops just as they murder another officer. He gets knocked unconscious and is put in the hospital and the four guys now have to find their way trough New York City alone while also trying to save their doctor. It does sound fun on paper and it's definitely entertaining but not quite as good as I expected with that cast. It would make an interesting double-feature with One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975), considering some people even speculate that Christopher Lloyd's character is the same guy in both movies.

2 years ago

The Full Monty (1997)

British comedy film. It's surprisingly good. Big feel-good movie. Very funny, great characters with good character development played by a good cast. Good soundtrack, too. Definitely worth the watch!

2 years ago

"Wish Dragon" on netflix, it wasn't completly boring, but animation looked like straight o pirate DVD.

2 years ago

Submarine (2010)

British-american coming-of-age comedy-drama film. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad. But after watching it I still can't say what it's about other than "relationship", and that's a very broad term. I guess I'm just too old for this movie, that's definitely targeted at teenagers.

2 years ago

Stalker (1979)

Soviet science fiction art drama film. It tells the story of an expedition led by a figure known as the "Stalker", who takes his two clients ("Writer" seeking inspiration and "Professor" seeking scientific discovery) to a mysterious restricted site known simply as the "Zone", where there supposedly exists a room which grants a person's innermost desires. It's slow and long, but the super long shots (on average around 1 minute long) have a really interesting effect. Stunning cinematography. Great performances. Overall very existential and dreamlike. Not in the sense that What Dreams May Come (which I watched a few days ago) was dreamlike, but here the colours are very muted and washed-out. Now you might think "super colourful is dreamlike and the opposite is more reality-based" but this movie definitely doesn't feel like reality. The locations for example are super interesting and almost other-worldly. The long shots I mentioned before also amplify that feeling. So, overall... for my first Tarkovsky this was really good. And while I think it won't be my favourite by him after I watch some of his other work (Ivan's Childhood, Andrei Rublev, Solaris, Mirror) I still think this is a great movie and I can absolutely recommend it. Definitely not for everyone, though.

2 years ago

2 years ago

Tom and Jerry - 6/10

2 years ago

Shutter Island (2010)

American neo-noir psychological thriller film. Just rewatched this one. Last time I've seen it was over 10 years ago, so I feel like it was time again. And it's still really good. If you haven't seen it yet, what are you doing?

2 years ago

+1 one of the best movies I've ever watched.

2 years ago

I watched Luca (2021) with my nieces. I thought it was pretty cute. Recommend it.

2 years ago

New World - 7/10

2 years ago

Batman (1989)

American superhero film. So iconic! Definitely a product of its time, it's very 80s. What is there to say about this movie that hasn't already been said? I like it, the cast is definitely great. Recommended! (The Batmobile in this movie is probably my favourite.)

2 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.