Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Batman Returns (1992)

American superhero film. Again, what can I say about this that hasn't already been said? Well, the Penguin was a lot better than I expected. The whole movie feels even more burtonesque than the first one. Overall very good but not quite as good as Batman (1989). Definitely still recommended, though.

2 years ago

Mr. Arkadin/Confidential Report (1955)

French-Spanish-Swiss thriller drama film. It's a captivating film noir with a great cast, a interesting story and good cinematography. Definitely not Orson Welles' best work, though. I'd recommend it, but only if you've watched a lot of his work already. This definitely isn't something I'd introduce people to Orson Welles' work with.

2 years ago

Post Tenebras Lux (2012)

Mexican-French-Dutch drama film. I really don't know how to describe this movie. Visually it's pretty interesting, story-wise not so much. It's definitely pretty unique, but I can't really recommend it.

2 years ago

Ex Drummer (2007)

Belgian black comedy crime film. It's surprisingly good for what it is. You could say it's a story about little people not really making it in the big world. Some might also say it's a revolting, offensive story about fucked up people, but people like that exist. It's definitely a lot closer to reality than a lot of other stuff you see these days. If Tarantino directed Trainspotting, this would be the result. That also would make this movie a lot more popular. Overall I can definitely recommend it. It's a shame that it's so little-known.

2 years ago

A Quiet Place Part II - 6/10

2 years ago

Body and Soul (1925)

American drama film. The world really needs to rediscover Paul Robeson. Singer, actor, social activist, lawyer, athlete... he was a huge talent all-around. Just read up on his life, it's fascinating. Now, about the movie: It's good. Nothing outstanding, but definitely good. If you haven't seen a movie from the 1920s in a while, why not make it this one?

2 years ago

Mon Oncle (1958)

French comedy film. Definitely one of the greatest movies of all time. Actually won the Oscar for Best Foreign Film at the 31st Academy Awards. Tati's work in general is just outstanding. This one might be his masterpiece, but then again, all of his movies are great. Similar in tone, but different enough. If you want to get into Tati's work, I'd say check this one out first. You'll have a big smile on your face almost the whole time. It's just a really wholesome movie. It's not laugh out loud funny, but I can guarantee that you'll be in a better mood after watching this movie. Beautiful set pieces, perfectly shot, great gags, all around pretty perfect for what it is. Highly recommended.

2 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 10 months ago.

2 years ago

Army of the Dead.

Boy was that a disappointing waste. The trailer was more fun than the movie!
But then that'll teach me to watch movies from Zack Snyder. Every. Damn. Time.

2 years ago

Batman: Under the Red Hood - 7/10

2 years ago

Tomorrow War on Amazon Prime Video

2 years ago

Meet the Spartans...pretty funny parody of 300

2 years ago

Catweazle (2021)

German comedy film. First cinema visit of 2021. The movie itself was okay. Otto was Otto. More than he was Catweazle. The sets were pretty nice. That little boy can't act. What didn't help was that I had no idea what Catweazle (the series from the early 70s) was even about. All in all this is a movie for kids who don't know what Catweazle is about and for people who watched the original series back in the day. So at least my parents had fun watching it.

2 years ago*

Hotel Artemis (2018)

American dystopian tech noir thriller film. Rewatched this one yesterday and it's still very good.

2 years ago

I was actually pretty surprised by that one. Despite the heavyweight cast, the reviews were not great so I kept pushing watching it but it was a great watch. Action heavy movies don't usually put a lot of focus on character or story but this one really pushed on both, to great effect.

2 years ago

Cruella (2021)

It was more entertaining then I thought it would be.

2 years ago

At the Devil's Door (2014)

American supernatural horror film. There were a few good scenes and cool visual effects in this movie but for the most part it was pretty lackluster. The story is pretty basic and sometimes even boring. Overall it's okay but definitely not anything I'd watch again.

2 years ago

La Haine (1995)

French independent drama film. I thought this would be a hard to understand, almost pretentious movie, but it really positively surprised me. So entertaining, such a gripping story. Those great, realistic performances definitely helped. And that ending was perfect for the movie. Absolutely one of the greatest movies of the 90s, if not of all time. Highly recommended! And it might make a fantastic double-feature with Ladj Ly's Les Misérables (2019), another great french movie with a similar premise.

2 years ago

Holiday

(Gods I hate the new IMDB look!)
Don't know why this one stayed on my watchlist for so long. I thought it would be a bit trite but the writing was excellent, as ofc was the acting (including the supporting cast because I wasn't expecting any less from Hepburn and Cary Grant)
I even felt that the story developed in very unexpected way considering the time.

2 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 10 months ago.

2 years ago

The new IMDB layout has me desperate for a good alternative. The site was already losing functions previously available for years,now it's an eyesore to boot as well...

2 years ago

Right? And it's so confusing! When I saw it, I checked on my phone to see if it was better but nope, it's just as bad.
Soon, all they'll have is pictures and ads for what's streaming.

2 years ago

Yeah, I held onto the old design as long as I could but now they changed it for everyone. The new one might be okay on phones, but I'm using imdb on a computer screen and it just doesn't look good. And it's so confusing.

2 years ago

Ugh same! And judging by how long it took them to make it mandatory, I'm guessing everyone else stayed with the old design as well.
Should have been a sign but nope, they pulled the trigger anyway.
It's confusing, it makes terrible use of the space, and it hurts the eyes. Doesn't look good on phones either and anyway they are pushing for the app as soon as you get on the site on your phone so really what's the point?

2 years ago

Elmer Gantry (1960)

American drama film. Pretty good for what it is. Great performances, especially by Burt Lancaster. Interesting story. Can recommend.

2 years ago

Really liked this one as well. It's one of those "classic" era movies that still feels so relevant 60 years later. Excellent characterization and acting.

2 years ago

Threads (1984)

British-Australian apocalyptic war drama film. It's a masterpiece. A super realistic look at what would happen in England, specifically Sheffield, if the Cold War suddenly wasn't so cold anymore. Basically, it's escalating and the United States and the Soviet Union start dropping nuclear bombs. This movie shows how the people are behaving before, during, and after the nuclear blast. At first the story is about a young couple who are suddenly faced with an unexpected pregnancy. In the background you always hear something in the news or read stuff in the newspaper about the conflicts. Then it escalates. The movie is always intercut with statistics (like how many people are dying immediately, how many are affected by the nuclear winter and so on.) So very fascinating. Mostly because it's very realistic. You could even call this a pseudo-documentary. There's not too much gore, but the few instances are even more shocking just because they are so rare. This probably comes closest to representing the full horror of nuclear war and its aftermath. It's very disturbing. And to think that this almost actually happened definitely sends shivers down your spine. Overall (I've said it but I will say it again) this is a masterpiece. And it might make for the most disturbing war movie double-feature with Come and See (1985), although I don't think I'd be able to watch both of these movies back to back.

2 years ago

Uncommon Valor (1983)

American action war film. Gene Hackman plays a retired US Marine Colonel on a mission to recruit a team of ex-soldiers to free their buddies who are still MIA (including the Colonel's son) from a vietnamese POW camp. It's a pretty good movie. Great cast, nice special effects, good, entertaining story. Can recommend.

2 years ago*

Resident Evil Infinite Darkness season one.

Actually, the first season was really good. I won't spoil anything except they set itself up for a season 2.

2 years ago*

Higher Learning (1995)

American drama film. It's definitely a movie that'll stick with you. It's about college. Different people, different struggles, different outcomes. We get to know Malik Williams (played by Omar Epps), a black high-school track-star attending college on an athletic scholarship who struggles with academics; Kristen Connor (played by Kristy Swanson), a friendly but naive white girl; and Remy (played by Michael Rapaport), a lonely and confused man seemingly out of place in his new environment. Things happen and lead to other things and I'm not going to go into any more detail, but some of the events are kinda predictable. The supporting cast is also very good. Ice Cube, Tyra Banks, Jennifer Connelly, Laurence Fishburne, Regina King and more. Great performances by everyone involved, especially the three main characters. Very thought provoking! Really good for what it is.

2 years ago

I have good memories of this one. A stellar cast and a good story.
Probably the last Singleton movie before he went Hollywood, and then moved on to tv.

2 years ago

Luca, the new Disney / Pixar movie 🙃💙
https://www.disneyplus.com/movies/luca/7K1HyQ6Hl16P

2 years ago

Wow. Hadn't even heard of it. That's how done I am with whatever's left of Pixar since Disney made them their bitch.

2 years ago

A Quiet Place Part II

I regretted not seeing it at the movies because it feels like it would have left a stronger impression. As it was, it wasn't bad. It suffers from too much action, not enough quiet moments, when compared with the first movie, but honestly a good watch thanks to the excellent cast (man those kids are good!), sensitive direction and focus on characterization.

2 years ago

Normally I don't tend to analyze movies, but that series just bothers me. They can only hear you? When? When you speak? How about walking? Or breathing? Or even cutting a loud fart or taking a dump? The whole concept makes about as much sense as killing a vampire by shoving a stake up it's ass instead of it's heart.*

Now mind you, I've seen PLENTY of movies that made no sense and never had a problem with it, but that series, for some reason, bugs me.

• I've seen that movie too. :P
2 years ago

LMAO that's what I was discussing with my gf after watching the movie
It honestly bothered me less in the first movie. Don't know if it's because the whole thing felt more like a pretense for the situation those people found themselves in and the second movie shifted the focus more on that and it's all that it was about but yeah I agree.

2 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.