Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

I Used to Be Famous (2022)

British comedy drama film. While the plot is pretty predictable (it's about a former popstar who's desperate for a comeback and then he finds a talented young drummer and you can probably already guess where the story goes from there) it's still definitely very entertaining with great performances, especially by Ed Skrein and newcomer Leo Long who plays an autistic kid (and he's actually a neurodiverse actor which is the kind of casting we love to see). Overall definitely a feelgood movie so if you're in the mood for something like that I can highly recommend this!

1 year ago*

His House (2020), knew nothing about the movie beforehand but I ended up loving it.

1 year ago

Old People (2022)

German horror film. Watched this yesterday. Surprisingly violent and also with a social aspect (as in "we need to care more about our old people") so while this wasn't anything amazing it was still a decent little horror movie. Recommended.

1 year ago

Since we're on the topic of horror, have you seen Men? I think you might like it.

View attached image.
1 year ago

Haven't seen it yet but it's on my list.

1 year ago

Nuns on the Run (1990)

British crime comedy film. It's a story about two gangsters wanting to go clean (played by Eric Idle and the late Robbie Coltrane) who stole a million pounds and dress up as nuns to escape prosecution (or worse). Of course it doesn't reinvent the wheel but it's still quite a fun watch! Recommended!

1 year ago*

Gaslight (1944)

American psychological thriller film. Great cast (Ingrid Bergman, Charles Boyer, Angela Lansbury, Joseph Cotten and more), all delivering outstanding performances (especially Bergman, she won an Oscar for it after all). This was Angela Lansbury's first movie (which is also why I chose it as the first movie of my week of honouring her and her work) and she was already amazing in it. Also, this is indeed the origin of the word "gaslighting". Overall this is a great movie that I can highly recommend!

1 year ago

The World of Henry Orient (1964)

American comedy film. "A mischievous, adventuresome fourteen-year-old girl and her best friend begin following an eccentric concert pianist around New York City after she develops a crush on him." Not really my cup of tea to be honest but the movie itself was still good. Peter Sellers, Angela Lansbury, Tippy Walker, Merrie Spaeth and more playing their parts very well. Overall something I personally can't recommend but you might still want to check it out for yourself.

1 year ago

In The Earth (2021), I did not notice the warning of flashing lights in the beginning of the movie. Pure torture. My initial reaction when the movie ended was a big old "huh?"

The wounds in this movie made me cringe so hard, very well done on that aspect.

1 year ago

I loved Kill List (2011) and A Field in England (2013) by the same director, have you seen those? Oh, wait. He also made Sightseers (2012). I also liked that.

1 year ago

Only seen A Field in England, but with quite a few other folk/arthouse horror I just end up not getting it. And that's a me-problem :')
Kill List seems more interesting though. Sightseers looked cute too!

1 year ago

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (1982)

British-american musical horror drama film(?). So technically this isn't a movie but a theater performance filmed for television and then presented as part of "Great Performances", a television anthology series dedicated to the performing arts. But it's still filmed and you were able to watch it on your tv at some point. And it's listed as a TV movie on imdb so because of all of that I'm still gonna count it. So, about this... whatever it is... Having only seen the 2007 movie adaptation of Sweeney Todd before (and having been a big fan of that from the first time I saw it) it's actually really good. Better than the movie, might I add. It's great to listen to those amazing musical numbers again, this time by actual trained professionals instead of actors who can also more or less sing (I'm not saying the actors in the 2007 movie couldn't sing but there's a big difference that you can definitely hear, right from the get-go Sweeney Todd's voice is so much more powerful. And if you expect 140 minutes of a static wide shot of a stage, you're mistaken. You got multiple cameras, close-ups, camera moves, lots of stuff I didn't expect myself. (Which also strengthens my belief to say this is indeed a film, considering it's edited like one.) So yeah, if you love Sweeney Todd (2007) as much as I did when I discovered it at around 16 years old you'll love this even more because it's genuinely amazing! Highly recommended! Now I just need to see a performances of Sweeney Todd live on stage.

1 year ago

No One Gets Out Alive (2021), I don't know why it has such low ratings, there's so much worse horror movies out there. Itzpapalotl lookin' Silent Hill-fresh and all.

1 year ago

The Company of Wolves (1984)

British gothic fantasy horror film. It's one of those early 80s werewolf movies with amazing transformation scenes but it also has a bit of Little Red Riding Hood mixed in, especially with Angela Lansbury's Grandmother character. Overall of course not the best movie we got out of that 80s werewolf craze but still fun to watch, especially because of the special effects (even though outside of those transformation scenes you mostly have dogs as stand-ins for wolves). It's also a bit surreal with big parts of the movie happening inside of dreams. So yeah, enjoyable watch, not too long, definitely something I can recommend!

1 year ago

Smile (2022)

Very mediocre horror movie. It fails to deliver on horror, on story, on characters, on gore to name a few.
It feels like they tried to cram everything in it while trying to make the movie in neutral style. At some moments you can feel they tried to make it feel like something real, but then they absolutely fail at choosing correct or meaningful cinematography.

And of course only true horror they could reproduce was musical buildup and jump scare. Cheapest and saddest trick in the book. Considering there's only like 5 jump scare throughout the movie, they try to save the horror aspect by introducing gore in it, which while playing in favor for neutrality feeling just throws you off. It's not enough.

Story is suffering from personality disorder - it jumps from relationship solving to childhood traumas to investigations... Each aspect was introduced decently but since it only was there for 5 minutes at max it just feels like a jigsaw puzzle which has been assembled from many different sets. While individually gore, horror, storytelling could bring enjoyment, it all creates a very mediocre horror movie which will fail to live up to expectations of avid horror movie fans.

The "entity" which haunts protagonist, not to say more, is so poorly made the end was almost on the level of some horror parody.. Mild spoiler - and the open ended approach to the ending in my opinion works only when you leave enough for the viewer to ponder about. Here it's very clear what will happen and basically renders the whole storyline useless in the full picture of the universe the movie is in

1 year ago

Bedknobs and Broomsticks (1971)

American live-action animated musical fantasy film. It's quite a fun movie, of course mainly for kids but I also found it pretty entertaining. Angela Lansbury, David Tomlinson and more delivering very good performances, the animated parts were good too. Overall, if you liked Mary Poppins you'll also like this one. They're not quite on the same level but still. Can recommend.

1 year ago

Vesper
Post apocalyptic survival film.
while most movies will not include details from novels that will be left unexplained in an adaptation, Vesper doesnt have a novel, yet it often world builds with details that are left unanswered. And i think it's better for it, makes it an unsettling surreal setting...which would have paid of in a greater scale, but as a low budget sci fi that isn't even well received, i wouldnt expect a sequel.
I wish this had been well received, the locations are great, very little cgi, good acting. I will agree on one point, if we ignore the small details, we get a very straightforward story, a film that doesnt bother exploring in a direction outside the 2 main characters view and understanding of their surroundings, which isnt much as they are stuck in the middle of the wilderness.
8/10
Hellraiser
very decent horror film, disappointing hellraiser sequel. If hellraiser 3 was Jason arrives from hell, in the new hellraiser switch a few elements and the obvious object and you get Nightmare on Hellstreet.
Furthermore, Barker never described Pinhead as anything close to a man, it was really the case of the actor being right for the role more than his gender. In fact Pinhead is described as an androgynous character with a femine voice, so i'm a bit confused how this change passed as "director's vision".
cenobites act very like slasher monsters, very far from the original vision, though at this point the original cenobites that work different than the vast majority of the series.
drug addiction would have been a great theme to insert into Hellraiser, sadly it's far from a major theme of the film
6/10
Ku bei
90s style unapologetic asian ultra gore sadistic trash. Its good
Nothing new, no stylized violence like early takashi miike, not too distasteful like some old asian trash.Just a very simple film, that cares most with the progression of the epidemic
7/10
The Munsters
And this is the last film i will watch for my spooktober, it absolute destroyed my interest in watching movies this month.
Universal must have lost a bet for Rob zombie to direct and write a movie on the Munsters.
And you might think it's awful...actually, nothing happens, ever...when you think all pieces fall into place and you get to watch a normal episode of the munsters, Zombie gets bored and unserimoniously solves the main issue and concludes the film.
visually it is unique. But its closer to low budget hammy shows, than it is to the real Munsters That's about it.
I actually like some of his movies, House of 1000 Corpses, The Devil's Rejects, 3 from Hell work well, due to 2 great characters portrayed by 2 very underrated actors. The Munsters doesnt even 1 good character. Jeff Daniel Phillips gives it a hammy take, which would be great if not for the fact that everyone around him gives really wooden performances
2/10

1 year ago*

The Manchurian Candidate (1962)

American neo-noir psychological political thriller film. Great performances by an amazing cast (Laurence Harvey, Frank Sinatra, Angela Lansbury, Janet Leigh, Henry Silva and more). A story that has you on the edge of your seat! Overall this is truly a great movie. Highly recommended!

1 year ago

Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari (1920)

German silent horror film. Rewatched this yesterday and it's still an absolute masterpiece!

1 year ago

Man I should re-watch this, it's been at least 18 years.

1 year ago

Buttons: A Christmas Tale (2018)

American fantasy drama film. Stellar cast (Dick Van Dyke, Angela Lansbury, Kate Winslet, Robert Redford, Ioan Gruffudd, Robert Picardo and more) in an otherwise sadly less than ideal movie. I don't know why exactly, but the movie looks pretty cheap, had musical numbers that definitely weren't needed, the plot wasn't anything halfway decent, nothing really makes it stand out. If it wasn't for the cast I wouldn't have watched it. Can't recommend!

But this was Dame Angela Lansbury's last movie (apart from a cameo as herself in the upcoming Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (2022)), which is why I chose it as the last movie of my week of honouring her and her work. So yeah, she was great at what she was doing and she will be dearly missed.

1 year ago

Dead Ringers (1988)

Canadian-american psychological thriller body horror film. Great performances, especially by Jeremy Irons and Jeremy Irons. This might be one of Cronenberg's more accessible horror movies. It's also very good. Overall I can recommend it!

1 year ago

Grimcutty (2022). Oof, this is a stinker.

1 year ago

Mad God (2021)

American stop motion adult animated experimental horror film. Made by one of the biggest names in VFX, Phil Tippett. Kind of bizarre and surreal, no dialogue, but visually incredible. What an amazing experience. Definitely not for everyone (partly due to what I've already mentioned, partly due to being very visceral and gory) but personally I can definitely recommend it!

1 year ago

Fucking awesome, I still need to see it but I recently watched his documentary "Mad Gods and Monsters." In fact I think I wrote about it in here.

1 year ago

Green Lantern: Beware My Power.

Wow, that was great.

8/10

1 year ago

Top Gun Maverick (2022)

Excellent movie.

1 year ago

"The boy"
link if it works

This is the second movie i see about the doll 'Brahms'
the first one i saw being the actual second movie (since it's spooky month we are getting showered in horror movies in several channels and i couldn't be happier about watching tv!)

movie was 'ok' same as the second one, personally i think this might try to be 'very chucky'-ish (but with a bit more 'paranormal')

i guess is an ok way to spend your time if you feel like watching a movie and it's being aired!
you should definitely start with this one, and if you like it, then watch the second one as it might make more sense!

hope to find more good horror movies soon!

1 year ago

Premature Burial (1962)

American horror film. This is the only one of Roger Corman's "Poe Cycle" without Vincent Price, but Ray Milland was still a very good leading man. Having seen all but two of the rest (overall there are 8 movies in this unofficial franchise) I can safely say that this isn't one of the better ones. Still entertaining, though.

1 year ago*

Black Adam
yesterday evening at the cinema :)

1 year ago

What did you think? It's very polarizing. I haven't seen it and won't until it's on a streaming service but some friends loved it and some hated it.

1 year ago

Sorority House Massacre (1986). About 10 seconds into the movie I was like "Yep, we're deffo getting a lot of boobs in this one", have you seen one of these kind of 80s flicks (or even 70s) then you basically know what's up. It had a very Giallo-esque beginning though, not what I was expecting from something I thought was gonna be a straight up slasher. I do prefer Slumber Party Massacre though.

1 year ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.