Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Not sure if it counts, but I just binge watched all 13 episodes of Godzilla Singular Point.

It was actually pretty good. JUST learned about this one two days ago too.

I LOVE Godzilla movies. Part of this kind of felt like Shin Godzilla with the different forms of Godzilla in it. And a primitive evolution of Jet Jaguar,

1 year ago

All Quiet on the Western Front (2022)

German epic anti-war film. It's very good for being the third adaptation of an almost 100 year old novel. Feels a lot different than the previous two. Think 1917, but a lot more trenches. The youngest people to have even been alive during the times of WWI would be 104. So there's obviously no more direct influence by people who experienced it. But that doesn't hold the movie back a bit. Also, I'm just excited that this classic german novel was finally made into a german movie. If you liked thought 1917 (2019) was good, you'll probably think the same of this one. If you've already seen any of the previous two versions (or maybe both) it's still worth the watch. Of the 9 Oscars this is nominated I'd say it definitely has realistic chances to win each of them. (I haven't watched every other nominee yet but this is where I'm standing now.) It's obviously not gonna win 9 Oscars but it could. Cinematography might be a good call. This movie just looks incredible. So overall, wether you're familiar with the story or not, wether you've seen any of the other adaptations of the source novel, definitely check this one out, too. Also, this was the lead actor's first ever movie. Can't wait to see a lot more of him, he's already great. So overall: Highly recommended!

1 year ago

The Sea Beast (2022)

American-Canadian animated adventure film. It's well animated, has a very good voice cast and a cool story on top. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. But let's be real, it's not gonna win Best Animated Feature at the Oscars this year. Still, good movie.

1 year ago

Daybreakers - 6/10

1 year ago

Vivarium (3/10)

1 year ago

Bardo, False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths (2022)

Mexican epic black comedy-drama film. It's kinda surrealist at times, but the longer you watch the more you'll understand. Overall I think it's a really good movie about... well, if you're curious just google what the term "bardo" means in Buddhism, then you'll know what this movie is about. Maybe do that after you watched it, though.
But if you're not in the mood to watch a movie where, just a few minutes into it, they push a newborn baby back in (which turns out symbolizes the baby's death) or other equally weird scenes over a 2h40 runtime, this might not be for you.
If you don't mind a bit of weird and surreal, I can definitely recommend this one, though. It's quite unique and special and definitely deserving of the Best Cinematography nomination it got.

1 year ago

30 Days of Night - 6/10

1 year ago

Aftersun (2022)

American-British coming of age drama film. Great performances by both leads, so Paul Mescal's Best Actor nomination is definitely well deserved. If Frankie Corio is already this good at 13, she has a bright future ahead of her. And the same goes for Charlotte Wells. This is her feature film debut. I saw that she made a few short films before this one, so I'll have to see where I can find those. And for Paul Mescal as well this is just his second feature film after The Lost Daughter (2021) which was nominated for three Oscars last year. So lots of young talent associated with this movie.
Now, what is this movie even about? Well, we see a young father and his 11 year old daughter on vacation. I don't even know what else to write without spoiling, so I'll just say that this is a beautiful movie. The ending might be kind of ambiguous, but you'll get it. Highly recommended!

1 year ago*

Just saw Memories of Murder followed by Confession of Murder, damn these films are crazy good.

1 year ago

Love Memories of Murder (2003), haven't heard of Confession of Murder (2012), so that's going on the watchlist.

1 year ago

Visually and technically very impressive but otherwise somewhat forgettable.
I watched it last Thursday in Dolby Atmos 3D and while at this point I'd probably still be able to give a pretty detailed plot summary I doubt I'll remember much in 6 months. However it is a quite enjoyable popcorn flick.

At roughly 3 hours 15 minutes rather long for that kind of movie particularly considering it's 3D. I didn't have any problems due to the 3D but for the last 20 - 30 minutes I had to fight pretty hard to focus on the ending.

1 year ago

The Man from Earth - 7/10

1 year ago

Don't watch The Man from Earth: Holocene (2017), it doesn't even come close to the first one.

1 year ago

its the same cast and everything apparently... its funny they got it wrong the second time, tnx for the heads up :)

1 year ago

Couldn't struck gold twice, sadly.

1 year ago

Troll (2022)

This movie was REALLY GOOD! Yeah, it was another Godzillaesque movie but with a liberal dose of mythology.

And yes, as one reviewer said, you will begin to feel for the troll itself. I did.

8/10 would watch again.

1 year ago

Knock at the Cabin (2023)

It is so good!! Dave Bautista does a great job in his role, and the visuals and story really gives the proper tension! 8/10 would watch again!

1 year ago

Close (2022)

Belgian-Dutch-French coming-of-age drama film. Léo and Rémi, two young boys who are best friends, come back to school after the long summer holidays and people start calling them names and stuff due to how close they are. So Léo tries to distance himself from Rémi.
Same as with Aftersun (2022) yesterday, there's lots of young talent in this. For Lukas Dhont, the director, this is only his second feature film after Girl (2018), which also earned earned a lot of critical acclaim. For Eden Dambrine and Gustav De Waele, the two leads, this was their first movie.
So yeah, this is a beautiful, emotional movie that definitely deserves its nomination for Best International Feature. Can recommend!

1 year ago

Megan (2022) 5/10. Pretty forgettable horror film. PG13 rating ruined this film killing scenes and besides that all it can offer is blandness. Big mystery for me why this was such a box-office hit.

1 year ago

28 Weeks Later - 7/10

1 year ago

My Year Of Dicks (2022)

American animated comedy short film. It's a very personal coming of age story about a teenager on a mission to lose her virginity but reality doesn't match up to her fantasies. Maybe that guy is the right one, maybe this one, but as it turns out, everyone she's been with that year was kind of a dick. And in the end the right guy is someone she probably didn't expect. Really shows the awkwardness of puberty. It's told in 5 chapters, all very well animated. Overall I can recommend it and if you want to watch it, it's available for free on vimeo.

1 year ago

Night Ride (2020)

Norwegian short drama film. It's a cold december night. Ebba is waiting for the tram to get home. It arrives so she gets on it to get warm but she starts it and drives away. On the route she picks up a couple of people. Anything more would be a spoiler. First one of this year's Oscar nominated Best Live Action Short Films, so I can't compare it to anything else yet but I can definitely recommend it.

1 year ago

The Night Flier - 7/10

1 year ago

The Elephant Whisperers (2022)

Indian-American short documentary film. This was beautiful. It's about a couple that takes care of orphaned young elephants. Highly recommended!

1 year ago

The Martha Mitchell Effect (2022)

American documentary short film. It's about Watergate whistleblower Martha Mitchell, which is very interesting considering Watergate happened around 50 years ago and starts slowly slipping out of the cultural spotlight. I'm german, turning 30 this year and I know of Watergate, I know what it's about and what the aftereffects were, but that's about it. Can't imagine how relevant Watergate still is for people younger than me. So having a documentary about it and the woman who was so entangled in the matter nominated for an Oscar is a big thing. I have only one more of the nominated documentary shorts to watch but so far any one of them could win it.

1 year ago*

Been craving a bit of trash so I watched Volcano and 2012: Ice Age today.

1 year ago

I liked Volcano.And Dante's Peak. But I have never heard of 2012 Ice Age.

You have my attention now. Thank you.

1 year ago

Volcano is a masterpiece compared to 2012: Ice Age. Asylum makes the worst and the best movie experiences out there. Them and the Polonia brothers, sadly one of the brothers died in 2008.

1 year ago

It's definitely not for everyone, but I thought it was a great film. Truly glad I got to experience it in 3D as well.

1 year ago

If the term 'movie' is used as broad as it can be, than it was one of Satoshi Kon's animated masterpieces "Millennium Actress" from 2001.
That was amazing, not as good as "Tokyo Godfathers" though...
And if 'movie' here meant to be 'live action' only, than it was the sequel for "Knives Out". Neat movie, but not as good as the original (somewhere near 7.8/10 whereas "Knives Out" scored 9/10 imho).

1 year ago

Well, animated movies are still movies, that's not even a broad use of the term.

I really gotta watch more Satoshi Kon. I loved Tokyo Godfathers (2003) and Paprika (2006) and Perfect Blue (1997) are already on my watchlist. Gotta add Millennium Actress (2001) to it now.

1 year ago

Haven't seen Paprika yet, it's on my watchlist too^^
Seen all the other movies you've named and also a couple of 'Paranoia Agent' episodes (also by Kon) - every time feelings was uncomparable to anything!..

What a horrible world we're living in if artists of THAT level should walk away in the first line...((

1 year ago

Pro Wrestlers vs Zombies
Another Lloyd Kaufman Tromavision masterpiece.

Yes I know it sounds bad to everyone else, but I LOVE those kinds of movies.

Amazing what you can find on Amazon Prime video.

1 year ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.