Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Hasta la vista - 8/10

1 year ago

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (2022)

American mystery film. This is a great murder mystery. It's definitely a major improvement over the first one. This one has twists and turns, unexpected reveals and a great story on top. And it's really good at keeping you entertained, just like a whodunnit should. Great cast, including some very surprising cameos, which I'm not gonna spoil here. Dare I say it? It might be Rian Johnson's best movie to date. Just a shame the theatrical release was only for a week. Would've loved to see this on the big screen. So overall I can definitely highly recommend this!

1 year ago

I think you're the first person I know who didn't think the first movie was the best thing since sliced bread.
It's a relief as I was starting to wonder if maybe my standards were too high or something.

I wish movie cinemas were back in business. It's getting ridiculous. Every movie is just released for Oscars eligibility and tons of movies are not even getting that here.

1 year ago

A Christmas Story Christmas (2022)

American Christmas comedy film. It's not a very good movie by itself, you definitely need to have watched the original A Christmas Story (1983) to really appreciate this one but if you have you'll probably enjoy it. This movie lives off your nostalgia for the first one and it definitely has the same kind of vibe. Nothing too crazy, but some funny gags and overall just a nice feelgood movie. Can recommend! (Forgot to post this yesterday when I watched this.)

1 year ago

The Last King of Scotland - 7/10

1 year ago

Arthur Christmas

Generally speaking I'm not looking hard into animated movies so I totally missed on that one when it was released about 10 years ago but Christmas means my nephews are here and they are at an age where they don't necessarily agree with my Xmas movies (The Neverending Story is not Xmas? whatever!) so I had to agree to this one.
It was actually hilarious and quite a fresh take on the Santa thing. Great cast, and just enough of a heart warmer that it leaves a big smile on your face.

Looks like I'm adding another one to the Xmas rotation (since apparently It's a Wonderful Life is "too black and white"! Kids today...)

1 year ago

The Day of the Beast/El día de la bestia (1995)

Spanish-Italian black comedy horror film. Father Ángel Berriartúa, a Basque priest, needs to commit as much evil as he can. Why? Well, according to his research the Antichrist is gonna be born on Christmas Eve, and Ángel intends to sell his soul before then to get into the birth ceremony and kill him. Is this a christmas movie? Well, if Die Hard (1988) counts as one this definitely does as well. Probably even moreso. But yeah, this is genuinely a really good movie. And I believe if it was an english-language movie it would definitely be a cult classic by now. Overall something you absolutely need to see. Highly recommended!

1 year ago

Violent Night (2022)

American Christmas action comedy film. This is better than it has any right to be. Lots of fun scenes, good effects, stunts, creative deaths, all while at its heart still being kind of a wholesome christmas movie with a good message and everything. Plus tons of gore and blood of course. I thoroughly enjoyed it and imho this is definitely a future classic. Very entertaining, so much fun. I can definitely recommend this!

1 year ago

My favorite xmas movie since Die Hard.

1 year ago

Matilda the Musical (2022) Very cute adaptation of Matilda. Love the young actress playing Matilda and the songs were very catchy!!

1 year ago

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery - 7/10

1 year ago

Glass Onion:A Knives Out Mystery (2022): As good as the first one, with a cast that is just as enjoyable. Janelle Monae remains one of my favorite multi-talented performers working today, and the mystery was top-notch.
The return of the classic ensemble whodunit is a very welcome one for me as a longtime lover of British mysteries and particularly Hercule Poirot.

Spirited(2022): A fresh(enough)take on A Christmas Carol replete with actors hamming their way through musical numbers, Ryan Reynolds playing the same character he does in every movie, and a some plot holes that somehow do not detract from the popcorn-novelty of the picture. Definitely a movie to watch on xmas day with your brain turned off.

1 year ago

Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio (2022)

Mexican-American stop-motion animated musical fantasy film. Great voice cast (Ewan McGregor, David Bradley, Burn Gorman, Ron Perlman, John Turturro, Finn Wolfhard, Cate Blanchett, Tim Blake Nelson, Christoph Waltz, Tilda Swinton, Tom Kenny and more) delivering very good performances. The stop-motion is amazing and it had to be so much work, considering this is the longest stop-motion movie ever made. Overall it's really good, can recommend!

1 year ago

Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio: Handcarved Cinema (2022)

Mexican-American documentary short film. This is Netflix' accompanying half hour documentary to the movie I just watched and because I like when they do that I watched it. And I was right. The stop-motion animation was so much work. But it was also great seeing a lot of the crew who were working it in this documentary. If you liked the movie I can recommend the documentary, too.

1 year ago

There Will Be Blood (2007)

American period drama film. It's a great movie with stunning performances, especially by Daniel Day-Lewis and Paul Dano. There's not much else to say considering this is one a lot of people probably already watched. But if you haven't, I can highly recommend it.

1 year ago

The Banshees of Inisherin - 6/10

1 year ago

Good Night Oppy (2022)

American documentary film. I don't think I ever cried at a documentary before. But this one about Mars rovers Spirit and Opportunity was just beautifully made. Lots of interviews with the people who came up with them, worked on them, built them, steered them across the surface of Mars. You can really feel that to them the rovers weren't just some robots on another planet, they were almost like children to them. Both rovers surpassed the planned mission length of 90 sols (~92 Earth days) with Spirit's mission ultimately lasting 6 years and 9 months and Opportunity's mission lasting even longer at over 15 years. So yeah, of course it was emotional when those missions were over. The documentary also had a good soundtrack (partly being the actual "wake-up songs" they played for the rovers. And some beautiful narration by the great Angela Bassett. Overall this is a really good documentary that I can definitely recommend.

1 year ago

Tár

1 year ago

The Skeleton Twins. Amazing movie, the scene with the lip syncing is probably on my top five scenes in movies ever.

1 year ago

The Hustler (1961)

American sports romantic drama film. I rarely do this but an IMDb user already perfectly said what I wanted to say about this movie, so I'll quote their review here.

Fast Eddie Felson is one of the all-time great anti-heroes. He is a drifter who is arrogant and has used many people in his life to get where he is. But when where he is is nowhere, he grows up. He learns the value of lost opportunity, and he gains integrity at a high price. It is worth a look for anyone who wants to see the redemption of a lovable curmudgeon.

So yeah, highly recommended!

1 year ago

Binged a few films over the last days but the last thing I watched was Doomsday from 2008. A little on the nose (parts of the UK get quarantined due to the outbreak of a disease) but really it was just Mad Max (plus knights) set in Glasgow, along with a little bit of conspiracy. Be warned - it gets terrible just after you get plot committed...

1 year ago

Deadstream. It was a lot of fun!

1 year ago

I'm finally starting watch most Ghibli movies which I somehow never did.
So I made the start with Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind the pre Ghibli Miyazaki movie. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

1 year ago

The Color of Money (1986)

American sports drama film. This actually continues the story of Fast Eddie Felson from The Hustler (1961), just 25 years later. It still has Paul Newman as our main character but now he's teaching his skill to young newcomer Vincent Lauria, played by Tom Cruise. It's a very good sequel to an already great movie, so if you enjoyed The Hustler (1961) you'll enjoy this. And the other way around. Highly recommended!

1 year ago

Jumping (1984)

Japanese experimental animated short film. Very dream-like, in fact I believe I actually had dreams like this. Where you just jump, higher and further each time. And this short film being in first person perspective definitely heightens that dream-like feeling. Just an extraordinary little short at under 7 minutes. Highly recommended!

1 year ago

Hunger (1974)

Canadian animated short film. It's one of the first movies to be computer animated. Even though at first it may look like traditional 2D animation, it's quickly getting obvious that that's not what this is, since we can now see the character models morphing. In something that's almost 50 years old. This is also very dream-like but more in a trippy sense. And the story is a morality tale about greed and gluttony in contemporary society. It's a very strange short film but it definitely gets you thinking. Can recommend.

1 year ago

Same as I did a year ago, here's the list of all 434 movies I watched in 2022. Have fun comparing, exploring or just browsing.
https://www.listchallenges.com/every-movie-ive-seen-in-2022-by-currykingwurst

1 year ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.