Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Land of Bad

I was in the mood for something to turn my brain off for a bit and picked this action flick with Liam Hemsworth and Russell Crowe.
Wasn't half bad actually. Nothing ground breaking but a nice take on the usual Spec Ops story. Well directed with good twists and a well maintained tension throughout. Felt pretty realistic too, which is not always true of those movies.

1 month ago

Wonka (2023)

British-American musical fantasy comedy film. It's about a young and poor Willy Wonka discovering that the industry is run by a cartel of greedy chocolatiers, when he arrives in a city renowned for its chocolate with dreams of opening his own chocolate shop. So yeah, it's kind of a prequel to the story of Willy Wonka that we've already seen twice. I could actually see them make a sequel to this one, considering it did well enough at the box office. Very good cast (Timothée Chalamet, Keegan-Michael Key, Matt Lucas, Sally Hawkins, Rowan Atkinson, Jim Carter, Olivia Colman, Hugh Grant and many more). Definitely a movie you could enjoy with your children, even though it also incorporates some darker points. It's not a great movie but it's entertaining enough and in the best case scenario your kids might get hooked on the songs and you can show them the 1971 version. Overall I can recommend it.

1 month ago

Aporia

Not sure how I feel about that one. The directing and acting were sub-par for the most and I feel like the movie accomplishes nothing that About Time hasn't done better before. Emo time travel is not really new and the movie doesn't bring anything to the sub genre. It's also very self conscious. But if you are a time travel movie collector, or if you like scifi that's not special effect frenzy, it's worth a watch.

1 month ago

500 days of Summer, i freaking love the end

1 month ago

I never really got why the ending was so controversial. I loved it.

1 month ago

Monolith

Second movie I watch this week that actually would have worked better as a podcast (and was probably a podcast until the director ran into some money). It's creepy and kinda tense for a while until it plateaus and drives off a cliff but it's not too bad if you enjoy scifi movies.
Warning: lots of dialog and very low on SFX so if that's your thing, probably skip it.

1 month ago

The Vast of Night (2019)

One night in New Mexico, in the late 1950s, a switchboard operator and radio DJ discover a strange audio frequency which could change the future forever.

It's been on my to-watch list for a long time, but I finally got around to actually watching it. I enjoyed it a lot, even more than I expected to. I've seen complaints that it was boring but didn't come across as such to me. Great setting and I really liked the slow burn feel of it. Both protagonists were likable and their dialogue felt genuine. Loved the cinematography and the soundtrack as well.

My only complaints would be just rather minor like I didn't really like that the elderly lady was just able to perfectly recite some "code words" to resolve the situation. It seemed a bit silly that they were something a human could somehow rehearse and write down. I also personally would've preferred if the ending had not shown what they saw in the sky, but I'm not really "mad" about it being shown either, just a small matter of preference there.

1 month ago

Sounds pretty cool. I'll give it a go and reply to the spoiler tagged part after ;)

Agreed on the ending. Less is more is something that The Twilight Zone was running on and since the show makes soooo many references to it, they should have stuck to that.
Conversely, it's the third movie I watch this week that feels like a podcast turned movie. At least this one had fancy film student trick shots and drone shots... in a 1950ies movie, and lots of filters and stuff. Doesn't make the plot less of a podcast though.

1 month ago*

Close-Up by Abbas Kiarostami

1 month ago

Where the Sidewalk Ends (1950)

American crime drama film. It's about a hard-boiled New York City cop who unintentionally kills a murder suspect during a routine questioning and hides the fact from the department, trying to pin the killing on his nemesis, a notorious gangster. Very good story, very good cast (Dana Andrews, Gene Tierney, Karl Malden and more) in this great and very entertaining film noir. Highly recommended!

1 month ago

Eileen

Very odd movie but a fine one. The cast is superb (it's been a while since I saw Anne Hathaway in a part that deserved her talent), even the smaller parts (both Hathaway and Marin Ireland were nominated for an Indie Spirit and you can see why quickly); the writing is sophisticated but never trying to be more than the movie needs and the direction is appropriately claustrophobic.
It's definitely not your usual thriller but it's a great take on the genre.
Recommended.

1 month ago

A woman's friendship with a new co-worker at the prison facility where she works takes a sinister turn.

This and the knowledge it has Anne Hathaway is enough for me to add it to my list. Dammit, I was supposed to be working through my existing list, not adding to it! But visiting this thread is making that quite difficult. :D

1 month ago

Haha I know what you mean. CurryKingWurst is pouring buckets of movies onto my watchlist every week (and you added one yourself so you are not blameless :P)

1 month ago

I mean... I also add a handful of movies to my watchlist every week because of this thread. You're not so innocent yourself in that regard, Fluffster. :D

1 month ago

But you watch movies at an incredible rate :P

1 month ago

True, but the more movies I watch the more I find that I haven't watched. It's a vicious circle.

1 month ago

I know what you mean. All we need is a TARDIS. I'm sure that thing has a nice movie screen somewhere... and unlimited time would be perfect. Plus we could go to the premieres of old classics.

1 month ago

How great would that be? And the TARDIS has so many rooms, there has to be a whole home theater room in there some where.

1 month ago

I'm curious, how many movies are on your watchlist currently? :D

2 weeks ago

Problem is, I have multiple watchlists. One has 546, another 20 that I've already planned on watching in the near future, another list with 766, another with 734, then maybe another 50 on physical media that I haven't watched yet... I'm sure there's a bit of overlap between them, but it's still a lot. :D
And yeah, every day I learn about movies I didn't know about that sound interesting, so my watchlist(s) only keep growing.

2 weeks ago

I can sympathize, I currently have four separate watchlists. I made separate ones because I figured it would help me work through them faster (one is even called "watch ASAP") but still struggling to actually make a dent on the numbers. I either keep adding new ones, watch something outside of the list on a whim, or simply rewatch things I've seen several times already. Of course there is no penalty for not going through this task, but it does feel like I'm failing at it regardless!

2 weeks ago

In a World... (2013)

American comedy film. It's about an underachieving voice coach who finds herself competing in the movie trailer voice-over profession against her arrogant father and his protégé. Directed and written by Lake Bell, who also plays the main character. It pays hommage to "The King of Movie Trailers" Don LaFontaine on whose catchphrase "In a world..." this whole movie is kinda based on. The cast also includes Fred Melamed, Ken Marino, Tig Notaro, Stephanie Allynne, Eva Longoria, Rob Corddry, Nick Offerman and more. So it's really chock full of familiar faces. The story is good, too. But of course it's a light comedy, so don't expect too much depth. Overall I can recommend it.

1 month ago

I was delightfully surprised by this one. It really flew by and the plot was good and original, which is getting rare

1 month ago

Kimi

I guess I should have checked the imdb page when one of my coworker recommended this one instead of adding it to my queue right away.
It's about an agoraphobic millennial who works for a company with a Siri/Alexa type device invading your privacy every day and guess what she hears? A crime! (yep it's my second movie this week about someone hearing a crime and trying to solve it from their office)
Corporate shenanigans ensue and it's a big skip unless you really have 2 hours to waste.

Metacritic score is a whooping 79 although of course the celebrity kiss-ass factor is high since it's "directed" by Soderbergh (he's still filming on iphones?) and written by the guy who brought you The Mummy remake that nobody watched and the Indiana Jones movie we didn't really need.

1 month ago

Nefarious 2023. On the day of his scheduled execution, a convicted serial killer gets a psychiatric evaluation during which he claims he is a demon

1 month ago

The Outfit
An expert taylor must outwit a dangerous group of mobsters in order to survive a fateful night.

Really enjoyed that one. Rylance is perfect as always and the plot is full of great twists and tension. Recommended if you like thrillers

1 month ago

In a Better World (2010)

Danish drama thriller film. It's about the intertwining lives of a doctor working in a Sudanese refugee camp, his troubled marriage, and the friendship between two boys, leading to profound consequences. Maybe not knowing any of the actors in this is a good thing, so you can completely focus on the story at hand. And it's a very good one. It actually won Best Foreign Language Film at the Oscars over Biutiful (2010) by Alejandro González Iñárritu, Dogtooth (2009) by Yorgos Lanthimos, Incendies (2010) by Denis Villeneuve and Outside the Law (2010) by Rachid Bouchareb and even casual movie watchers should be familiar with at least three of those directors. So yeah, overall I can definitely recommend this one.

1 month ago

Imaginary (2024)

American supernatural horror film. It's about a woman who returns to her childhood home to discover that the imaginary friend she left behind is very real and unhappy that she abandoned him. I actually liked this one. The premise is fun and that's what makes it worth the watch. Even though the third act is definitely the weakest, overall I still enjoyed it and (especially before that third act) there are some nice scares in this. So yeah, I can recommend this movie if you're in the mood for something like it.

1 month ago

Wrongfully Accused (1998)

American-German satirical comedy film. It's about a guy who was wrongfully accused of murder. Rewatched this yesterday and I still think it's amazing. Definitely among Leslie Nielsen's most underrated work.

1 month ago

Target Earth (1954)

American science fiction horror film. It's about a small group of people in a deserted city who were overlooked during the city's mass evacuation because of a sudden invasion by hostile robotic beings believed to be from the planet Venus. This is a low budget black-and-white independent sci-fi flick from the 50s, so don't expect anything great, but if you do like 50s sci-fi, this is an enjoyable one-time watch. And it's also a crisp 70 minutes long. So for those reasons, I can recommend this movie.

1 month ago

Lisa Frankenstein (2024)

American comedy horror film. It's about a misunderstood teenage goth girl who meets and develops a relationship with a reanimated Victorian-era corpse. This is the directorial feature-length debut of Zelda Williams and she seems to be kind of a movie nut herself, because who else would reference G.W. Pabst, the director of Die Büchse der Pandora (1929) in their movie? There are also other references, direct or indirect, to movies like Weird Science (1985), The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975), Day of the Dead (1985), A Trip to the Moon (1902) and many more. I very much enjoyed this one so I can definitely recommend it.

1 month ago

Spring (2014)

Italian-American romantic body horror film. It's about a young man who travels to Italy and pursues a woman who, unknown to him, is not entirely human. It is quite unique, I mean how often do movies mix those genres? I've heard people describe it as "if Guillermo del Toro shot a film scripted by David Cronenberg, based on a story by HP Lovecraft, then had it edited by Richard Linklater", which, after watching this, feels like a pretty accurate description. It's a great movie, absolutely one of those rare hidden gems. Highly recommended!

4 weeks ago

Oh I looooved this one! I was so surprised by it. It's really cool when that happens, isn't it?
Very well shot too, for relatively inexperienced directors.
The Endless is also good, albeit a very different movie.
But Spring really is a delight and it grabs you by the feels, which is something that rarely happens with me and "love stories" in movies.

4 weeks ago

Yeah, it seems like you recommended this to me when I watched The Endless (2017). Funny how I described both as hidden gems.
https://www.steamgifts.com/discussion/GQ8Sn/official-last-movie-you-saw-thread/search?page=165#6WvQuYP

4 weeks ago

Haha circular recommendation, that sounds just like me.
And yes they are hidden gems. It's funny how some movies go mostly unnoticed and then develop some sort of cult following later.
It's not a new phenomenon I know (Rocky Horror, I'm looking at you) but it's movies still go unnoticed with the internet.
But then again, it's also the internet that allows me to find hidden gems like Lunopolis so no complaint.

4 weeks ago

Wicked Little Letters

The ending was reaaaallly satisfying.

4 weeks ago

Definitely will give this one a try, thanks for recommending it. Looks like a great cast too.

3 weeks ago

The Face Behind the Mask (1941)

American crime drama film. It's about a recent Hungarian immigrant to the US who is pushed into a life of crime because of a horrible accident that leaves his face disfigured. Peter Lorre is great in this and it's only a crisp 68 minutes long. So if you got that hour and want to watch a very good film noir, I can definitely recommend this.

4 weeks ago

The Return of the Living Dead (1985) A classic horror comedy

4 weeks ago

One-Minute Time Machine (2014)

British-American comedy romance short film. It's about a one-minute time machine and the consequences of time travel. It's just 6 minutes long and a fun watch, so I can recommend it.

4 weeks ago

It's a Gift (1934)

American comedy film. It's about a henpecked New Jersey grocer who makes plans to move to California to grow oranges, despite the resistance of his overbearing wife. A great W.C. Fields comedy and from what I've heard, among fans it's even considered his best work. I was in the mood for an old comedy movie, but no romantic comedy à la Lubitsch or slapstick à la Marx Brothers, just a pure comedy. This is what I found and it did not disappoint. Very funny, great gags that definitely still get a laugh out of you even 90 years later. Overall I can definitely recommend this great comedy.

3 weeks ago

The Kindergarten Teacher

A character study about a kindergarten teacher who becomes obsessed with fostering the talent of one of her 6 year old pupil she sees a prodigy.
Maggie Gyllenhaal is a massively underrated actress. I don't know how she has not won any major award yet. The movie is a study in ambiguity and her performance is amazing.
Despite the topic, don't worry there is nothing about her obsession with the kid, or her actions, that is sexually motivated. It's not that kind of movie.

3 weeks ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.