Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

The New Mutants (2020)

American superhero horror film. I'm happy for the cast, because they probably got a fat paycheck for that movie. This whole thing is just way too predictable. Not a great story. This movie definitely had potential. The characters are interesting, but the execution was rather poor. It's not very scary and although the concept of the Smiley Men is good (maybe the best thing about this movie), that's definitely not enough to save this whole mess. Overall not recommended.

3 years ago

That was such a waste of a (mostly fine) cast. Well, the ladies were good. And such a waste of great characters.
The even bigger issue I had, besides the script being anemic to say the least, is the fact that if you had ever read the comics, well the whole plot twist of what was going on.... was pretty much solved in 2 seconds.
You see the first scene, you go "what was Dani's ability already? Oh right, she manifests nightmares" and then you wait for the whole rest of the cast to catch up to what you already know.

Real shame they waste Illyana Rasputin's coolness (and her dragon) on this BS. Another character that will probably get written off from proper Marvel movies for no good reason.

3 years ago

David Attenborough: A Life on Our Planet - 10/10

3 years ago

Anything with Attenborough and "Planet" is a masterpiece. Period.

3 years ago

The Endless (2017)

American science fiction horror film. Can't really talk too much about the story, otherwise I would spoil too much. But basically two brothers get a videotape with the post and that makes them think back on their childhood at a cult (the younger brother denies that it was a cult, though) and they decide to visit them. But as it turns out, there's something way different there. And that's a timeloop. Well, lots of timeloops. One main one where the whole area is trapped in, that resets every 10 years. And inside that one there are tons of smaller ones, some even just a few seconds. Beautiful cinematography, great story. Definitely a hidden gem. Highly recommended!

3 years ago

A very rare indie gem (not because it's indie, there are a lot of indie gems, and even more underrated gems but because smart and human scifi is rare in indies);
If you liked it, I can very warmly recommend Spring, from the same directors/writer team. I won't spoil it and I can only advise you not to research the movie too much before you start watching but it's another gem.

3 years ago

REALLY GOOD/LOVED THEM

• The Dark And The Wicked - One of the best horror flix I've seen in the past several years. It's a really fucked up movie. In the running for the best horror film of 2020. A must watch if you're a fan of horror. 10/10
  • Love And Monsters 9/10
  • Underwater 9/10
  • The Invisible Man 8.5/10
  • Unhinged 8/10

GOOD/ENJOYABLE

• Bad Boys For Life - Love part 1 and 2, this one wasn't as good as those but enjoyable. 7.5/10
  • Terminator Dark Fate - Was better than I thought it would be. 7/10
  • Brightburn - Cool Dark Superman film. The end credit clips of other dark characters was pretty cool. 7/10
  • Anna - Cool spy film. 7/10
  • The New Mutants - I enjoyed it although underwhelming. It was nice to see new characters from the Marvel Universe finally used in a film. Wasn't really a fan of the ending. It's not an MCU film but it is under Marvel so it was finally great to see a film under Marvel use the word Mutants. 6/10

HORRORBLE

• The Craft Legacy - Interesting twist. Ending scene was really cool. 4/10
  • Relic - Lots of people liked this movie, unfortunately I didn't. I actually had to watch a video to explain the ending cause I thought I missed something. Nope, didn't miss anything. The ending sucked. 4/10
  • The Pale Door - ..,..... 2.5/10
  • Child's Play - One of the worst horror remakes. Not as bad as the Poltergeist remake though. 2/10
3 years ago*

+1 for The Dark And The Wicked. Really one of the best horror films of 2020

3 years ago

Totally agree. While it didn't scare me I could see this movie actually scaring the shit out of some people.

3 years ago

Never Let Me Go

Really not what I thought it'd be, but in the best way. All in all, twist not withstanding, it's first and foremost a movie about human strength and weaknesses, and about humanity. Just like all good scifi should be.

3 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

3 years ago

Rubber (2010)

French independent satirical horror film. Very creative and unique way of filmmaking. I don't wanna spoil too much, but this movie was surprisingly good. It's definitely a modern classic for how different it is. And it's really entertaining. Definitely recommended.

3 years ago

Apocalypto - 7/10

3 years ago

The Trouble with Harry (1955)

American black comedy film. This is the last of the "Five Lost Hitchcocks" I have watched. (Those are, of course, Vertigo (1958), Rear Window (1954), The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956), Rope (1948) and this one. Read up on the topic, it's pretty interesting.) This feels like the opposite of Rope (1948), in which there's a corpse hidden in an old chest and people don't know it's there and have a party around it. The whole movie is about them not finding out that their close relative/friend is dead, right there with them. In this movie there's a corpse just laying there and everyone sees it and just doesn't care. I'd say, although the performances are pretty good and the story is good too, this is maybe one of Hitchock's weaker movies. It's not bad at all, but it can't come even close to some of Hitchcock's other movies and it's (in my opinion) the worst one of the "Five Lost Hitchcocks". I can still recommend it for what it is, but don't expect a masterpiece.

3 years ago

Deleted

3 years ago

12 Years a Slave - 7/10

3 years ago

Robin and the 7 Hoods (1964)

American musical film. I didn't expect this to be my first Rat Pack movie, but here I am. So it goes without saying that the cast is great. Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr., Bing Crosby, Peter Falk, Edward G. Robinson and more. The movie would've worked without the musical numbers as well, but if you got so many legendary crooners in your picture why not have them sing some numbers? Good story, parodying the gangster genre a bit but also being a good gangster movie in its own right. And it's heavily based on the story of Robin Hood, as you may see from the title already. Very fun spin on the old tale. Definitely very entertaining and recommended if you want something lighthearted.

3 years ago

Secondhand Lions (2003)

American comedy-drama film. Robert Duvall and Michael Caine playing Haley Joel Osment's rich old great-uncles in a wonderful tale about family, adventure, and yes, even the titular secondhand lion. Heartwarming family movie. I can definitely recommend it.

3 years ago

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (1910)

American silent fantasy film. It's the earliest surviving film version of the novel from 1900 (more recent than I thought). No, it's not the greatest adaptation, (and you all know which one is), but it's still pretty good and it's a very fascinating watch. Good effects for the time.

3 years ago

Misery - 7/10

3 years ago

Deleted

3 years ago

Try the original version ( edited to indicate - Don't be afraid of the dark) , yes it will be dated because it was in 1973 but I remember it being really creepy and chilling to me, albeit I was a kid when I saw it.
I actually saw it on TV at the time, not when it was in theatre and come to think of it having seen the 2010 version recently as well I may have to look for 1973 original again and watch it, sure I may get a giggle considering there are definitely far creepier and scary movies out there and I been watching horror genre since I was 6 or 7 years old, so long time fan of the genre :)

The last movie though I watched was "Don't listen "on Netflix.

3 years ago*

Ummm, original version of what?

3 years ago

I guess it's a reply to the original post. I've seen Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (1973) about two months ago and it was pretty good and definitely creepy, albeit also dated. Haven't seen the 2010 version, though.

3 years ago

"Don't be afraid of the dark"
The OP mentioned they watched Don't be afraid of the dark 2010 version.

3 years ago

yes, thanks ^.^ that is what I was referring too. I just saw that you replied to BH's question :)

3 years ago

Forrest Gump :)
And also American Gangster.

3 years ago

The Ghost and the Darkness - 7/10

3 years ago

Jeder für sich und Gott gegen alle/The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser (1974)

German drama film. Great movie directed by Werner Herzog. Beautiful performance by Bruno S., who wasn't even an actor when Herzog cast him as the main character for this magnificent movie. And what a great performance it is. Nobody else could play this like Bruno S.! The movie is based on real events, by the way. So fascinating. Highly recommended!

3 years ago

Deleted

3 years ago

Rabid Grannies.

How COULD I have missed this Tromavision movie? Was just bad fun and I loved every cheesy second of it.

3 years ago

I Saw the Devil (2010)

Korean action thriller film. Fantastic performances by Choi Min-sik (who most of you might know from Park Chan-wook's Oldboy) as the antagonist and Lee Byung-hun as the protagonist. Really good cinematography! Very thrilling and captivating story with great effects, lots of extreme action and graphic violence but also lots of quiet, peaceful moments. It's about grief and revenge and much more. Really fast paced, so that it never gets boring. Even with a runtime of close to 2.5 hours Overall it's a truly great movie and highly recommended! Absolutely one of my favourite movies from 2010.

3 years ago

The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes (1970). A classic Billy Wilder film that turned out to be really fun. The story is original and contains no spoilers for any of the Conan Doyle stories.

3 years ago

The Terminator. That awesome theme came out of nowhere. Here's a great piano version by Sean Townsend - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXwYhSScYQo

3 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.