UK: https://store.eu.square-enix.com/uk/product/435313/holiday-surprise-box-2016 £5 = 6€
AU: https://store.eu.square-enix.com/au/product/435318/holiday-surprise-box-2016 $A9 = 6.4€
EU: https://store.eu.square-enix.com/eu/product/435323/holiday-surprise-box-2016 6.5€
NA: https://store.na.square-enix.com/product/435312/holiday-surprise-box-2016-pc-download $10 = 9.5€

LIGHTNING RETURNS™: FINAL FANTASY® XIII

GOETIA [PC DOWNLOAD]

LEGACY OF KAIN: SOUL REAVER [PC DOWNLOAD]

LEGACY OF KAIN: SOUL REAVER 2 [PC DOWNLOAD]

HITMAN INTRO PACK [PC DOWNLOAD]

HITMAN GO: DEFINITIVE EDITION [PC DOWNLOAD]

TOMB RAIDER: UNDERWORLD [PC DOWNLOAD]

20% Off Next Purchase (Digital Catalog Games Only, exclude Preorder) - (usable 1 time)

50% Off HITMAN Upgrade Pack [PC Download] - (usable 1 time) <-- -75% at gamestop for Full Pack and Upgrade Pack

http://www.gamestop.com/pc/dlc/hitman-upgrade-pack/128559
http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/hitman-full-experience/123742

According to my sources, EU might work as guest checkout. But there's no guarantees.

7 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Am I the only one who doesn't like FF games and would be happy if bundle would be w/o them? :D

7 years ago

+1

7 years ago

Me neither, but they don't have that many games to choose from :D

7 years ago

Same here.

7 years ago

buying a square-enix-cat-in-a-bag bundle and not wanting
FF titles is like buying pizza and not wanting any toppings ...

7 years ago

sorry officer, it won't happen again.

7 years ago

yeah its not a crime ... personally i couldn't play FF titles anymore too cheesy and boring - 10 was the last one i played;
but if you subtract the ff ones whats left is mostly bundle garbage that has been only published by SE

https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/5hwjjb/square_enix_holiday_surprise_box_2016_999649/db69ox2/

7 years ago

I'm too old to enjoy them. However! They carry some clout, and you can usually leverage a pretty good trade for some game you actually want. People 'pay' over the odds for final fantasy games.

7 years ago

most people who played those games back in the day are 30-40 now. so i think it's not necessarily a matter of age, but if you played those when you grew up. i am 35, but didn't really play FF as a child. so they don't really have a nostalgia bonus for me. i still have to say that what i played of the series was quite enjoyable (didn't finish a single one, though).

7 years ago

I am depressingly close to 40 myself these days, and I did grow up playing them.

But, the core hook of the story has always been a very coming-of-age tale. Most RPGs are, but FF really hammer it home. It's all teenage angst and forging your own way. I find it hard to relate to that now. In fact, I find it quite grating.

Same goes for a huge chunk of anime. Some of my favourite series, I can no longer watch because the characters are so immature or obtuse that it just irritates me.

I'm not saying that you need to connect to a character to enjoy their story. But take Evangelion for instance. At one point, I understood why Shinji was so very very very whiney and hesitant. Watching it now, it just frustrates me. In fact, possibly I see myself onscreen, and that causes me to cringe knowing that I was that stupid!

So unless FF games have severely changed their trajectory ( and admittedly, the road trip idea in the new one really appeals to me ) I think I'm too old for them.

7 years ago

i guess i didn't dive into FF deep enough to have this discussion. ^^ i mainly played 7 (not even that much of it) and 13. well, and 1 on my phone. that's about it. what you say might even be right for me as well. i just don't know the series well enough to be sure about that. i was more talking about others, and the impression i got (which is that many of our age play those games simply out of nostalgia).

P.S.: i have no idea who or what Evangelion is, sorry. :)

7 years ago

I'm too old to enjoy them.

View attached image.
7 years ago

I don't like FF games, but I do like the cute girls in them though.

7 years ago

A cool thing FF has always done, whilst keeping the style of a Japanese RPG, they change the gameplay quite significantly from title to title. They also change the world from a more rural to urban focus.

I think that helps its mainstream appeal as it appeals to a lot of demographics!

7 years ago

Is it "shortly after midday GMT on December 19th" yet? :P

7 years ago

Nope, 1 more hour :3

7 years ago

1h left :( wish they'd hurry up

7 years ago

Any Chance for Iam Setsuna to be in there? that would be DOOOPPPEEE

7 years ago

I'll throw a party if it is. You are all invited! :P

7 years ago

its 40 ... but .. its older ... and would be ultra sweet christmas

7 years ago

So keys are available at 13:00 GMT+1?

7 years ago

should be noon (12:00 midday GMT time)
so in 50min from now

7 years ago

2PM GMT, according to the German page https://store.eu.square-enix.com/de/product/435328/holiday-surprise-box-2016

That's another 2hrs 45mins or so...

7 years ago

Italian page reports 2 GMT too

7 years ago

French reports 14h local time, so in 1hr 40mins...

7 years ago

These guys really can't make their mind up, can they.

7 years ago

their headquarters in Europe are in London so fingers crossed we don't wait long

praying for RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER

7 years ago

praying for not Rise of the Tomb raider ;)

7 years ago

any particular games you are hoping for? ;D

7 years ago

I'm still missing some Final Fantasy games.

7 years ago

they can give me Deus Ex: Mankind Divided only, and I'll be happy :P

7 years ago

I love your optimism!

7 years ago

I want Deus Ex: Mankind Divided!

7 years ago

most people who like the series are into ''human revolution'',

I just played the very very first game when it was launched and the ''deus ex fall' :/

I was initially interested in mankind divided but looking at reviews online it seems to be a love or hate thing, see metacritic

7 years ago

Seems the original and Human Revolution are the only ones most people like out of the series.
Invisible War, Mankind Divided, and The Fall just didn't hit the right mark for most people.

7 years ago

I just want hitman complete season to be honest.... but i'll take ep 1+prologue.. i guess, better than ff.

7 years ago

heavy breathing intensifies, we are almost there

it's after noon GMT, and no games to be found loud autistic screeching intensifies ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)

7 years ago

Is it noon in London already?

7 years ago

Yep

7 years ago

yes

7 years ago

yes..also... on US site is : The contents of this exclusive deal will be announced and delivered after 4 am PST on December 20th, 2016. amd its already 4am PST

7 years ago

They're 5 minutes late!!! RIOT!!!

First time actually buying one, I was going to bed, then I saw that it was almost time and now I'm sitting here with a grumbling stomach and trying not to fall asleep.

7 years ago

They wrote "from noon" technically anytime in the future suffice... :)

7 years ago

I stayed up until 4 AM for no games!? Da fuq Squeenix!?

7 years ago

What's in the box? WHAT'S IN THE BOX???

7 years ago

I can use the activation key lol.

7 years ago

LIGHTNING RETURNS™: FINAL FANTASY® XIII

GOETIA [PC DOWNLOAD]

LEGACY OF KAIN: SOUL REAVER [PC DOWNLOAD]

LEGACY OF KAIN: SOUL REAVER 2 [PC DOWNLOAD]

HITMAN INTRO PACK [PC DOWNLOAD]

HITMAN GO: DEFINITIVE EDITION [PC DOWNLOAD]

TOMB RAIDER: UNDERWORLD [PC DOWNLOAD]

20% Off Next Purchase (Digital Catalog Games Only, exclude Preorder) - (usable 1 time)

50% Off HITMAN Upgrade Pack [PC Download] - (usable 1 time)

7 years ago

I hope you are trolling :(

7 years ago

no... i just regret my purchase

7 years ago

me too

7 years ago

you can re-found

7 years ago

I'm glad i don't buy this i have all.

7 years ago

Then give them away to friends/family who don't have them...

7 years ago

Not troll

7 years ago

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 7 years ago.

7 years ago*

Does it have to be through mail or can it be also dont through the form on the site? Because I cant select surprise bundle in there :)
and if it has to be mail, havent been able to find the needed support mail yet -.-

thx in advance

7 years ago

Deleted

7 years ago*

alright thx, found a mail adress a little further in the thread. But does this way work? because policy states you have to mail the support with withdrawal of order as the reason...

7 years ago

Deleted

7 years ago

we will see :)

7 years ago

Ugh, only one game on the list that I wanted. Well, someone is getting some free games.

7 years ago

what do you mean by pc download? steam key is or isn't there?

7 years ago

They're all Steam keys.

7 years ago

That's...quite a bit worse then I was expecting. Lightning Returns is the only one even remotely valuable.
This bundle is probably going to have a LOT of people asking for refunds.

7 years ago*

and if you have lightning returns and kain games this bundle just gets worse.

7 years ago

thanks for the list, gonna go and get my refund now

7 years ago

I was this close to preorder but in the end, I thought that $10 USD was too pricey for a blind buy... It's a good thing I didn't make a move, as Goetia is the only game I would have been interested in. :o/ I feel sorry for those who preordered and are now disappointed.

7 years ago

It's like a dollar less if you get it from the european store ($4 for me since I'm Canadian)

7 years ago

I only ok with lightning :(

7 years ago

what's with the HITMAN INTRO PACK?
I can't find it in the store, is it just 25% of the original game? or why Intro? :-s

7 years ago

It just is the Intro and the first Episode of the game - so not even the full game. Steam also sells that package.

7 years ago

Prologue + Episode 1

7 years ago

how do we refund this!

do not press the button!

Note: as soon as you unlock the activation key, you lose your right for a refund. Therefore, we invite you to proceed with the download and installation of your products prior to getting your key.

7 years ago

Mail Square Enix customer support.

7 years ago

ty! I just did

7 years ago

what's the email?

7 years ago

as soon as you unlock the activation key, you lose your right for a refund
I will ask for a refound myself, i have all games.

7 years ago

......... How to refund?

7 years ago

You can go to your account and cancel your order by clicking on: My account > Your orders > Cancel order. The money will return to your account within 1-7 working days.

7 years ago

are they serious about these games? no they cant be serious... well they are...

7 years ago

To refund send and email to support. They are really quick, even if I've not received and email from PayPal yes

7 years ago

Nice suprise. I only own Goetia and Underworld.
Last year I had all but 1 already.

7 years ago

Called it.

€10 average doesn't leave a lot of room for €20/30 games, so my guess?
The first episode of the new Hitman game
One Final Fantasy game
The rest cheaper/previously featured in bundles

...but everyone was hoping for Just Cause 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided...

Good thing that the people in the EU can get a refund if they're not happy, although I'm guessing some are happy. Ligtning Returns and Hitman Intro Pack isn't too bad, for people who want to play those games.

7 years ago

smh at the people who were proclaiming that JC3 would be in it. they haven't even lowered the price of the game from $60 yet.

7 years ago

wrong! it was cheap as hell on steam a few days ago

7 years ago

That was because it was 75% off during a sale. The value of the gift box is calculated from standard (non-sale price), using the sale price wouldn't make sense. There are several comments about this in the thread.

7 years ago

right and you reckon the total value of this box is what they claim it to be? give me a break

7 years ago

If you added the non-sale price of each item from the Square Enix store, I wouldn't be surprised if the total was about €73 or something like that (Square Enix said it was going to be worth "over" £55 / $80 / €70.

That does not mean that I, or the average member on Steamgifts would happily pay €70 for those games, but they're not lying about the "value". If you still don't believe it, check the site, add the prices for the seven games, report back on the forum with the total.

7 years ago

this is nowhere near €70 on steam where the keys are activated on

7 years ago

Ok, you're probably just trolling, but since I'm a nice person, here you go:

Game Steam Price
Lightning Returns €15.99
Goetia €14.99
Legacy of Kain : Soul Reaver €6.99
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2 €6.99
Hitman Intro Pack €12.99
Hitman GO Definitive Edition €7.99
Tomb Raider Underworld €8.99
Total €74.93
7 years ago*

I'll give you one example:
Tomb Raider Underworld Historical Lowest Price: £0.62 at Steam on 7/13/2013
oh yes it was on sale, I don't give a flying F what you think. It's the principle at hand.

7 years ago

What I think:

That does not mean that I, or the average member on Steamgifts would happily pay €70 for those games

How Square Enix counts (what matters for anyone wondering about the worth about the value of the box):

The value of the gift box is calculated from standard (non-sale) price

Square Enix wouldn't value their products at their historical lowest sale prices, when trying to sell a product.

That's the facts. No need to start swearing at me...

7 years ago

facts are people are taken advantage of and you support the company who over-inflates prices when it suits them

7 years ago

I don't get where you're coming from. I never said I supported them, I didn't even buy the box. The only thing I was trying to do, was (already at page 1) explain what people should expect from the box, to avoid anyone getting their hopes up too high or feeling ripped off. If you check my prediction in the link, it turned out to be pretty much what I guessed.

7 years ago

I've never seen any company use lowest historical price when describing the value of a bundle or collection. It's always current standard price.

7 years ago

Yep, "industry standard".

What people would be ready to pay for the games is something else, and I guess that might be the problem for some - when they can't tell the difference between when a company selling a product at a discount and talking about the product's "worth" and the "perceived value" from the eyes of the consumer.

7 years ago

Just imagine how confusing it would be if companies started going with the lowest historical price method. Do they start counting discounts only available in some regions? Pricing errors? Different versions? (I.e. should the gold edition with DLC count just the lowest price for the gold edition, or count base game + DLC sales prices in the past?) It would be a complete mess, and consumers would just end up being confused and/or frustrated.

Also, you could ask for a complete refund with this one, if you did not want the games. So I really can't see anything to complain about. Not all games in there might be for everyone, but there was no shovelware, everything in there has been well received. It does not raise the bar for these kinds of packs, but nor was it bad. And again, the full refund thing.

7 years ago

I agree on all points. Great explanation. Hope everyone else gets it. Maybe you followed the discussion a bit further up (where I inserted the price table)?

7 years ago

And interesting. I seem to have been blacklisted by EdgeUHF as a response to my comment. I did actually get a warning from another user about him being completely unreasonable and that trying to talk any sense here was like banging my head against a wall (well, those were not the exact words), after they had seen my response to him above, but I guess my argument was so perfect that not even he could come up with some crazy response, and instead just resorted to blacklisting ;)

7 years ago

edit: browser trouble, sorry for the double post

7 years ago

Well, look at that, EdgeUHF has blacklisted me as well :D Even after me being all nice putting a chart together, but as you say, doesn't seem like reason works on that user.

I'll just return the favour and move on. It's not like I'm missing out on any giveaways, never entered anything from that user.

7 years ago

I'm talking about the base price of the game genius. Can't see them just dumping a game like that in a bundle like this when it is still sitting at $60 and it hasn't gone through the various stages yet of milking what's left. That's how games progress throughout their lifespan in this industry.

7 years ago*

genius says ''it hasn't gone through the various stages yet of milking what's left.'' and proclaims to know anything about marketing when he only talks about price and sales (good job L) do you even think before you write?

Regarding price, it's meant to be valued at $80 in total. They could easily have added JC3 or Rise of the Tomb Raider and added the old games like legacy of kain which they did, and cough ''episode'' of hitman. This is nowhere the total they claim it is but hey you seem you like getting ripped off.

7 years ago

You know what, I'm not going to even bother reiterating and explaining in detail why everything I have said is accurate (and why you are wrong) because you have clearly shown yourself to be someone who cannot be reasoned with, so to do otherwise would be an utter waste of my time. You should look in the mirror and take your own advice at thinking before you speak/write. It will serve you better in all walks of life. Fin.

7 years ago*

Reasonable guesses aren't really typical for gamers, and especially not on SG forums :D

7 years ago

I'm all about being reasonable :)

7 years ago

True, but I would like to think that we could strive for a better standard and shouldn't just have to accept this out of apathy.

7 years ago

I'll try to make the next Square Enix surprise box thread (Easter 2017?) and include some info on what to expect in the original post :)

7 years ago

People will dream anyway :P

7 years ago

For some reason I always hope for the best, but you're probably right :)
I can see it already:
-"The Easter Surprise Box will be 6 games worth a total of €80, that's an average of €13 per game, so we can expect slightly better games than the holiday surprise box, perhaps one Final Fantasy game and Life is Strange Complete, among with some quality rebundles"
-"OMG, we're getting RotTR, Mankind Divided, JC3 and FF XV ^^"

7 years ago

I agree with that. That's why I decided not to throw money blindly at SqEnix, as after past years it's almost obvious that I won't get the one or two games (LiS complete - reasonable guess) I'd like to, as they don't bundle the old FF games, that I would be super-interested in :)

7 years ago

I don't blame you. It is a very hit or miss thing and unfortunately it seems like it has generally been more miss than hit. That said, i think that Goetia is underrated and some people may be overlooking it because they never heard of it. Despite that I still wouldn't have bought the bundle knowing what's in it now, so 'crisis' averted.

7 years ago

Seriously guys, already complaining?
It was just 6,50 and a gamble to start with.

7 years ago

This pack was overhyped with people's "guesses" it is not a bad pack considering the price. People just wanted more this year.

7 years ago

Square Enix didn't lie about the value of the gift box (£55 / $80 / €70), but for some reason people thought that one or two €60 games and 5-6 other games could fit that total value...

I think it's still a pretty decent box, not as good as some of the ones from previous years. If people just had checked the facts a bit better before ordering not as many would be disappointed, especially those who were expecting a value of €120-250...

7 years ago

I agree I am just glad I got some new games to try out.

7 years ago

You're right, I am cosidering keeping it. I wanted to play lightning returns, the hitman game is ok, hitman go is "meh", I already have that TR already... Gotia? Point and click adventure? Soul
Reaver was a good game back then, but most people would've preferred a FF.

A good box would have been:

Hitman intro pack

Lightning Returns

FF game from PSX

The last remnant

A random game no one cares about.

7 years ago

I honestly didn't care what they added as long as it wasn't all very old games from the humble bundle pack.
Glad some people enjoying this.

7 years ago

Afaik The Last Remnant has been in a SE bundle.
I dont think they ever have put a game in a bundle twice. (not sure though)

7 years ago

Yes, at least in the first one, and I think it was in a past surprise pack as well (not sure about that one)

7 years ago

Getting a refund.

7 years ago

i send it an email right now :)

7 years ago

same here

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

7 years ago

You know it's our law as EU citizens? Ofc you don't.

7 years ago

EU citizens have right for a refund in 30 days when bought :)

7 years ago

Deleted

7 years ago

If that would be possible, I would do it! You literally can't lose!

7 years ago

Regardless of the odds of actually winning the lottery the difference is that with the lottery you know what the possible outcomes are.

7 years ago

Deleted

7 years ago

Not really. With the lottery (at least in the UK anyway), if I play I know I can win anywhere from £10 to £x million. Even though I know what game Square Enix publish I still don't know what I'll be getting.

Regardless of your views on the matter or even the fact that EU law requires refunds be possible, Square Enix have decided it's reasonable for them to offer refunds.

7 years ago

it reads like you are personally offended, that people dare to get their money back from a company?
and the lottery is probably the worst comparison you could have made here.
likd 95% of people playing the lottery don't get anything... and the contents of the box are not random, they are the same for everyone (unlike the lottery)

7 years ago

Not really. I think that most people (like me), took the gamble BECAUSE they knew they could ask for a refund. If there was no refund available, lots of users wouldn't have purchased this box.

7 years ago

this, took the gamble because of the chance of life is strange season pass and a nice FF game, but because I have only the later. it isnt that valuable to me :)

7 years ago

we get refunded, YOU deal with it

7 years ago

Deleted

7 years ago

''I won't let someone else decide what I might want.''
You have no problem telling others what they should do.

Hypocrite.

7 years ago

We won't either!

7 years ago

That would be legally problematic but they could just not sell them in the EU.

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

7 years ago

I wonder when people here start to ask their money back from those funfair-raffles. I wonder when Georgie the funny Clown gets sued for disregarding our consumer rights.

I mean, I'm happy about those laws and that they can be applied to these "mystery boxes", since this is also then a law that deals with gambling and thus may help preventing gambling-addictions. However - strangely enough - a lot of people only care about federal or EU-wide consumer rights, when those are helping their own personal interests and smooth out their bad decissions. If they don't align with those, then these laws are often just seen as a form of paternalising by the state or the authorities.

I can't really understand why people are so disappointed with this box. Fuck, it's christmas and everybody buys useless shit anyway. People should really not get upset about a lame SquareEnix game-box, that has still a good deal of games. There are more disappointing things in this world.

7 years ago*

Ironically, it's on a site called Steamgifts as well -- where, if they're not happy with the box contents, they could make giveaways of the games they received.

I guess it shows where their interests truly lie.

7 years ago

+1 - the law is nice, but buying mystery boxes only to cite laws and refund it as they don't like it - that's just immoral. The laws are there to uphold the contents and the working quality of bought items/goods, not to protect stupid impulse buyers.

7 years ago

I guess I'm one of the few that isn't exactly disappointed with the purchase ;p Bought it hoping for either Type-0 or Lightning Returns and I got it, so the rest are just a bonus really.

7 years ago

Can we make a "not really disappointed" club?

7 years ago

Sure :zeemonster::sgsmile:

7 years ago

Yeah, my plan was to get Hitman episode 1 for less than the steam price. Anything else was just giveaway fodder. But I'm actually super happy with the Soul Reaver games, and I haven't played Underworld in ages, so that's a good get too.

7 years ago*

I'll join that club. Not the greatest possible selection but the price for those I was missing also wasn't terrible.

7 years ago

I'll join the club. I'm not disappointed at all. Actually it's a pretty cool selection with a little bit for everyone, if you just want to try out some of their stuff, it's only bad if you expected some $40-60 AAA title like Ritse of the Tomb Raider (which I already got) or Just Cause 3.

7 years ago

yeah we do, for me this is a real good bundle.

7 years ago

Exactly. You got lightning returns for an all time low price + a few bonus games. Yet people here are rioting like they received nothing.

Everyone should have realistic expectations for this honestly. They did a few of these boxes already and there were never any new AAA releases. Why would there be this time?

7 years ago

Yup, exactly why I gambled for it in the first place. I knew I would be getting it cheaper than the all-time low on steam as well as some extra games, and it worked in my favor.

7 years ago

yes thats right, we all know what we get. and for me only Lightning Returns is it worth and i got Goetia and HTMAN too.
And i loved the Soul Reaver Games past in the Days and now i have it too on Steam, so for me a very good Bundle :)

7 years ago

The box was cheapest in my region and all I really wanted was Lightning Returns. The rest is worse than I'd hoped, but I can live with it - I'd probably have ended up buying Lightning Returns on its own for the same £5 in the sale!

7 years ago*

I was mostly looking for Lightning Returns, although I most likely won't play it until I get the two previous FFXIII, so it'll be awhile until I actually get a chance to play it, probz lol

EDIT: Apparently, 4 of the games were already on my wishlist[ (Lightning Returns, Hitman Intro Pack and Soul Reaver 1 & 2 [Friend wanted me to get the Soul Reaver games, so there's my excuse for it] Tomb Raider game looked alright, but Hitman Go I'm not really a fan of. Goetia Idk about, but will give it a try, anyway.)

7 years ago*

+1 to the ok with it club! Haters gunna hate, its a decent deal.

7 years ago

that is :)

7 years ago

yes like me. i am happy with it :)

7 years ago

Ditto.
Lightning plus a GO game? I'm good.
A point and click game on top of that - nice bonus!
Kain stuff would be cool if it wasn't already in my inventory. And they had to put some kind of TR in there.
But yep, in good. At that price point, I wasn't expecting much! :)

7 years ago

We should write a letter all together for protest.

7 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.