Someone here who can advise me on this.
I tried to get support from Steam, but I'm still left puzzled.

4th feb
Hello,
I just traded for a gift of FORCED.
When I try to add it to my library, I get the following error:
"Unable to add the gift to your game library. The gift may have already been redeemed. Please try again later."

I already tried the following:

• Restart Steam
  • Try multiple times to add the game
  • Send the gift to my own e-mail adress

Nothing works.
There are no warnings about region restrictions either.
Can you tell me why I can't add this game to my library?

11th feb from Steam
We apologize for the delay.
Please let us know if you still require assistance.

11th feb
Yes, I still need help.
This gift couldn't be activated.
What is wrong with this gift?
Please answer why this gift for Forced could not be activated.

11th feb from Steam
Unfortunately, Steam Support cannot make changes to territory or language restrictions.
These gift subscriptions can be used to trade with other users via Steam Trading or returned to the person who gifted them to you

12th feb
Hi there,
What are you saying? Are you saying that there are region restrictions on this gift?
Please tell me what is the case with this gift for Forced I have in my inventory.
Thank you.

12th feb from steam
Hello,
Steam Support has provided you with all of the relevant information regarding this issue. You can log into your account at support.steampowered.com to review your Steam Support tickets.
You will receive no further correspondence regarding this matter.

Since then they've been ignoring me.

I still have no idea why I was getting the error "Unable to add the gift to your game library. The gift may have already been redeemed. Please try again later."
They suddenly started talking about region limits, but did not say clearly that that is the cause of my problem.

Am I just not understanding what they are saying?

9 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

send the gift to some trusted friend. then the friend will gift it back to you. then you can hopefully redeem it.

9 years ago

I vouch for this being the first thing you try, hope it works but I fear it won't.

9 years ago

Thanks for the tip.
Now to complicate things, in the meantime I activated another copy of Force (not really planned to, but I hit the wrong button after trading O.o). So I can't test it myself anymore.

I like to know if this first copy is OK to trade, or that it has restrictions, so at least I can do a proper trade of it.

9 years ago

I don't think it has restrictions, restrictions show up in big red banner. You must have noticed those if they were there.
it's okay to trade the first copy.
this gifting error is a known issue..it's just Steam bugging itself.

9 years ago

Steam support is probably the worst support ever. I'd rather call up Dell if they still have their support call center in India...

No idea how to help you if kraken's suggestion doesn't work.

9 years ago

trust me, I'm from India :P

9 years ago

:P Dont worry comcast support here in the states is almost as bad...idiots dont know anything

9 years ago

Yeah, my experience with them isn't so much that they are hard to understand, but that they do essentially no effort to understand anything I try to tell them.
Sucks they resorted to cutting you off so fast, and bullshit they assume your only issue is region restrictions.

9 years ago

I had a similar issue recently, after a couple of days, I managed to activate it.

9 years ago

You had this same error I was getting?

9 years ago

Yes.

9 years ago

I waited about two months to get a reply as to why a thread of mine was removed from the Steam forums.
I'd try what kraken9 suggested. You'd honestly be better off trying to email Gabe Newell than submit a ticket.

9 years ago

^^
according to reddit, this has proven quite effective recently.

9 years ago

I sometimes feel like they deliberately try to confuse you or post an obviously automated response to discourage you from contacting them in future because it's useless.

9 years ago

To sum it up.
They just spam 2 autoreply's at you (most of the time totally unrelated to your question).
Then block and ignore you.

9 years ago

I don't think I've ever heard a good story come out of contacting Steam support before....

9 years ago

I did. When a person sent e-mail to GabeN himself. GabeN answered and solved the issue.

9 years ago

I mean going through the regular support queue.

9 years ago

make a new ticket. valve hires absolute morons to do their support and they all use copy/paste responses generally without even reading the question.

resubmit the ticket, but clearly explain that you have a gift in your INVENTORY that has NO regional restrictions attached and that when you try to add it to your account, you get an error saying THE GIFT HAS ALREADY BEEN USED. you are NOT told that steam can not add the game, you are told that the GIFT has already been used, even though it is still i your inventory and it is NOT in your library.

hopefully that will get a response.

9 years ago

I think I might be the only one here who understands this.

• You contacted Steam support.
  • They contacted back, apologizing for the delay and asking if you still needed help.
  • You said you still needed help.
  • They contacted back (with an admittedly stupid way of using a canned response) saying that your gift is region-locked and you can't redeem it.
  • You asked for clarification.
  • They contacted back, saying that they gave you all they can say.

What else is there to ask about? According to them, your gift is region-locked. Unless your gift isn't actually region-locked, there's no more issue here.

9 years ago

A lot of Steam users seem to be affected by this: http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/882963520827365441/?

9 years ago

yup.
screw support.
As stated here

View attached image.
9 years ago

ow yeah btw... I already tried to send it to my own account name.
But at that time it didn't help.

I really hope it's just Steam bugging out, so there is nothing wrong with the gift.

9 years ago

let us know after you try..

9 years ago

Yeah thanks, I was searching for it myself too.
Most threads about it though were from 2012.

9 years ago

Dyna - Depending on the source of the key some go bad. Older Gala keys are bad for that.. The error implies it has been used.

Might also be that you were given a key that is dead now and already used, such is life trading for keys.

I know when I was in BQ I had one key I know had never been used fail, it was about year old.

9 years ago

yeah, some keys have a limit on it.
This is a gift though, not a bundle link. That's sitting nicely in my inventory.
I never heard of those going bad.

9 years ago

This message "Unable to add the gift to your game library. The gift may have already been redeemed. Please try again later." was and for me then I try to activate FORGE, but later it shows in library.

By the way, then I try to activate ETS2: going east dlc it says that I have this game, but later shows in game properties. Steam is buggy these days :/

9 years ago

:(

9 years ago

Steam support: Not only is it a freaking bot, but it's a VERY BADLY programmed bot.

9 years ago

Gifts won in the gems auction were actually region locked, even though none of them said so. Maybe your Forced was one of those?

Those support responses are reason why this mock account exists :D

9 years ago

I think you may have given too much information. They probably can't handle that much input. Next time try:

I have gift. I cannot activate. Why?

View attached image.
9 years ago

Yeah, I already tried making short easy to read sentences.... Way shorter then I usually do.
It's like dealing with the retarded....

9 years ago

I'm very glad I didn't have to deal with them yet but everything I read on here leads me to that conclusion.

9 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.