So I decided to get a new notebook as my current Aspire 7740G often struggles a lot with games.

I got my eyes on the Lenovo IdeaPad Y580 M7788GE Scroll down for specs.

It's 1099€ for me, and so far the only laptop to offer such good hardware for that price. Though I am wondering if I might be able to get similar power for less money or more power for the same price or even more power for less money.

I do not want to buy a desktop. I want a notebook for its mobility/portability. I know I could get thrice as much power (or more) with a desktop.

What I'm trying to find out here is if there is an even better one than the one I chose for the same price or less.

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

I got a y480 and I dig it a lot. 660 is a great card, I have a 640m and I had no problem maxing out something like dishonored at my 720p screen resolution. These new ideapads seem nice and sturdy and I think that it does heating pretty decently, but it does run hot sometimes so I recommend a cooling pad. You should see if you can find it under 1k though if you ask me.

1 decade ago

Already tried. It's the cheapest notebook I could find with such specs. All other companies who sell similar configs ask for about 300€ more.

It's a shame notebooks are so expensive here although I'm in Germany, and I mean, it's not like we weren't globalised, right?

1 decade ago

makes sense, but I mean see if you can wait for a sale to pop up. I ended getting mine in the $700 range after searching for a good bit of time.

1 decade ago

Yeah, sadly the sites I could get it from don't do many sales :/

1 decade ago

Can you get it directly from lenovo? They frequently have coupon codes and shit like that.

1 decade ago

They do. In the US. Here? Nope. I already googled for deals on it, all there was were countless lenovo disounts in the US and a few black friday/whatever sales on US sites/shops

I did find a few coupon codes for Lenovo's web shop (5% off and 8% off), though both don't work :/

1 decade ago

What's holding you back from buying a desktop? You could get much more for the same price with a desktop.

1 decade ago

see one post below.

1 decade ago

Its only for gaming? If yes get a desktop.

1 decade ago

I am frequently out of home on weekends, I'd also use it for university which I'll attend later this year.

1 decade ago

laptop More ram/ssd/slight better graphic card other chipsetlaptop2 same as above but 17inch. best i could find.

1 decade ago

jesus fuck those are big, it'd be like carrying an elephant.

1 decade ago

yeah they're pretty bulky (5.5 cm thick!) and weigh like a kilogram more than the Y580 and I don't think the GTX 670MX and the 8GB more RAM are worth the 200€ extra.. especially as mobility and battery time decrease.

1 decade ago

Yeah, unless you really HAVE to max everything out I wouldnt pay for that. I gotta carry my laptop to class every day.

1 decade ago

I think my friend just bought a y570. He likes it so far. Pretty sure the y580 isn't much different.

EDIT: Now that I look at it closer, the y580 is the one my friend got. The SSD + HDD hybrid is nice to have.

1 decade ago

With the specs ... it looks awesome. if you can better take a desktop if its only for gaming.

1 decade ago

See 2 posts above.

1 decade ago

good gaming laptop

1 decade ago

How much time do you have to buy a laptop? There are some speculations that nvidia will release the 700 series in march/april etch though dont know about the mobile versions.

1 decade ago

Well AMD HD8000m cards are available in Q2 2013.

1 decade ago

Well, about a few months I guess. Though I'd like to get one a bit earlier...But wouldn't the new cards be rather expensive as they're new?

1 decade ago

Yes, if you go for a high end card i think price goes to +-€2000

1 decade ago

That's... that's better than my stationary.

1 decade ago

Have you tried looking through Lenovo's Deutsch outlet site. Faerie Solitare and Wolfenstein are fun games. You should try them sometime.

1 decade ago

I've searched through almost every site there is about the Y580 (at least it feels like it). Wait. Faerie Solitaire and Wolfenstein? How does that fit in?

1 decade ago

Appears that http://outlet.de.lenovo.com/ does not stock any Ideapads. Also checked some notebook boutique sites and Dell but it seems like you've found the best deal for the moment.

As for those games, you're a prolific trader, I'm sure you can acquire those games again.

1 decade ago

lol

1 decade ago

Oh now I get it. Haha. Totally forgot about those two.

1 decade ago

I have y570 and i am really satisfied, i can run all of the recent games (not on max but still its pretty good), and y580 should be much better, for me i say grab it:-)

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by Kunibert.