My friend have this processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2,5Ghz with 4 cores, but I think is not really a good processor to play games on maximum resolution minimum of 1680x1050 or higher and max setting, and if combine it with and Nvidia graphics card 1gb, will be a good gaming processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300? and if a processor have 4 cores this means is 10Ghz of 2,5x4=10?

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

the best processor for gameing is I5 3470.
you dont need some thing better then him.

1 decade ago

I thimk the best i5 is i5-3570K no? economic and good.

1 decade ago

It is the best for gaming, especially since you can OC.

1 decade ago

Both are good. Not much difference in their performance. But you can overclock i5-3570k more than i5-3470.

1 decade ago

I bought this one recently, but heard i5 3570k and 2500k are best suited for gaming, this one is pretty decent though.

1 decade ago

You don't multiply Ghz with cores (facepalm). And yea, it's old cpu.

1 decade ago

But if processor have 4 cores he said me this means 2,5 + 2,5 + 2,5 + 2,5 = 10, how to calculate it then? or no need to calculate if says 2,5Ghz is 2,5Ghz xD? what cores are for if not have more speed like he said me about 10Ghz with Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2,5Ghz with 4 cores?

1 decade ago

Your friend doesnt know what he is talking about. It just means that the processor has 4 cores each runing @ 2.5Ghz. Imagine 4 cars that drive @ 100km/h if you tie them together it doesnt mean they will go 400km/h it just means that together they have more power to pull heavy objects!

1 decade ago

plus for the good description :)

1 decade ago

really good example :)

1 decade ago

Ok that's good :)

1 decade ago

First off, you DO NOT measure a CPU by its clock speed across architectures. Different CPU architectures have different pipelines, so the speed at which they shove stuff through those pipelines is not comparable.

Secondly, adding a core (or many cores) to a CPU does not increase the speed at which the CPU accomplishes a single task, it just allows the system to finish multiple tasks in a similar time frame. There are exceptions, but they are very rare in the typical client workload.

1 decade ago

What nvidia card is it? Playing on high settings is more gpu than CPU. It is an old CPU though.

1 decade ago

Well, if you have old and weak CPU even GTX690 won't help.

1 decade ago

I game with a Core 2 Quad Q9550, 8GB RAM, GeForce 660 and have yet to find a game (that I want to play) that I can't max out or nearly max out. Generally speaking, having a fairly modern quad-core will get you by. You'll get the people with endless amounts of disposable income telling you that the latest and greatest is necessary, but I've been doing my re-build about every other processor generation haven't had any trouble - just make sure you have a decent amount of RAM and a graphics card less than 2 years old.

1 decade ago

Of course you'll be able to max out a game graphically, that doesn't mean it won't take its time to load, or that calculating physics will not hit on the CPU.

1 decade ago

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 - 1st Generation Processor, getting quite old now. It's okay for basic gaming.

However, Intel now has 2nd and 3rd Generation CPUs + Motherboard. You need a new motherboard to work with them (Sandy or Ivy Bridge), as they have max out the cpu and now reduce the bottlenecks elsewhere as well. Direct access between the cpu and memory as well as cpu to graphics processing, meaning less bottlenecks, meaning more performance (60-80% faster than 1st gen pcs). It's well worth the upgrade to i5 or i7 CPU, but requires Z77 or better motherboard depending on what you get.

1 decade ago

Bottlenecks aren't as big of a deal as you think. Measurable data to the rescue:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6670/dragging-core2duo-into-2013-time-for-an-upgrade

I saw take the Q8300 and get a great GPU to go with it. As another note, the amount of VRAM in a GPU has very little to do with its performance level.

1 decade ago

Correct, a C2Duo is a big bottleneck even for gpus like a GTS250 (equivalent of a 9800GT, or an OCed 4850), but a single upgrade to a C2Quad is a big difference, newer CPUs have their advantages of course, but he should be fine for the time being (assuming that GPU is up to par)

1 decade ago

As long as you don't get a $400+ GPU, you won't even have a noteworthy bottleneck on a Q8300, especially if you overclock it.

1 decade ago

It will do, I personaly have Q9300 on my other computer and it does resonably well. Also using 1920x1200, on other hand I have no issues on not using AA and max settings.

1 decade ago

Not many games really use more then 2 cores at the moment.
It's still good to have extra cores, because you'll still have processes running in background while you play.
If you are on a very strict budget, a faster 2cores CPU will usually give you better performance-for-the-buck in games then a 4cores one.
Also: while gaming, the videocard will do most of the work. If again you're on a budget and want a game-oriented PC, once you have a decent CPU, spend the extra money on a better video card.
Don't pay too much attention to specifications (memory, shaders, frequency) and to benchmarks like 3DMark. Please check the benchmarks in the games you'll actually play. It can happen that a "worse" card will perform better simply because, despite having less memory for example, the resolution you play at won't really benefit from the extra one in that specific game. It's impossible to say how it will perform without knowing the actual video card it will be paired up.
Having said that a Q8300 is a decent CPU and it's surely an all-rounded one.

1 decade ago

It's okay for non CPU intensive games, i have old E7200 and i can play most of the games. For BF3 is shit ... :(

1 decade ago

Its fine for CPU intensive games unless you need to run at 60+fps at all times actually.

1 decade ago

yeah, depends on what do you need ...

1 decade ago

Yup personally I am fine with a game running at 30-40fps, anything over that is just gravy I guess lol.

I realize some really want everything at high FPS, they probably should get something like an i5, hell I would get one if I was building a new computer honestly. Depends on what people want or can deal with I suppose.

1 decade ago

I really wish this was me. I'm not sure if it's based on one's personal anatomy, but in any game, as soon as I drop below 60 fps, whether it be 55-57 fps, it's an immediate world changing difference and it just doesn't look good at all to me. It's a curse I guess :/

1 decade ago

I am more of a crazy when it comes to sound to be honest. If stuff doesn't sound right I get aggravated and turn the game off haha.

1 decade ago

Ah, I was never too big on sound. I felt like the onboard sound more than suffices, but I'm tempted to get some ASUS Xonar soundcard and see the difference.

1 decade ago

You might be surprised by the difference if you have a decent set of speakers/headphones.

The Xonar DG is great for the price and even greater if you are mainly a headphone user(Built in amp is actually rather well done).

1 decade ago

Yea I'm definitely going to give one a go. Specifically this one. It any good? I see it has a front panel header, which is good because my headset's wire won't reach around the back of my case, and I'd kinda like to have the option to have my speakers plugged in thru the back while using my headset on the front. My headset has a green/pink(don't know proper name off hand) to USB adapter. Do you know if using the front panel connector on this sound card would apply to my front USB ports too? I feel like it wouldn't and would only apply to the green/pink ports on the front of the case, but I'm just making sure.

1 decade ago

No, it would never work over usb. You will need to use those "pink/green" cables to get the benefit. The Xonar DGX is fine for headphones and will give a good improvement over Realtek.

1 decade ago

Figured as much, thanks. Can't really think of many other things I can add to my rig besides another 670FTW, which I don't really need right now, so I'll just slap a dedicated sound card in.

1 decade ago

Yeah it won't work with USB I think.

Its a good card though...

1 decade ago

Gotcha, thanks. Most likely will get this one sooner than later.

1 decade ago

Im using an Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 + Nvidia GeForce 98000 GTX and id say I can more or less run any game I want without worrying about the settings only games I have trouble maxing out would be Skyrim & Black Light Retribution & Battlefield 3. So id say its worthwhile in the end. Btw I tend to run games on all out max settings + 1920x1080 resolution.

1 decade ago

what about planetside 2 ? your pc will give up on it :D

1 decade ago

I have a Q6600 and it runs fine....

1 decade ago

I max(Or run on high) most games on a Q6600/460gb at 30fps-60fps at 1680x1050 .

1 decade ago

It's good enough, don't expect great load times or fantastic performance in CPU intensive games (BF3, Planetside 2), your idea of having more speed the more cores is incorrect, some people have already said why, it would depend on your GPU in the end (saying you have an Nvidia with 1GB is not enough btw)

1 decade ago

I'm running a Q8200 still, and its a great processor. Some extremely CPU intensive games might push its boundaries, but it should handle most things you throw at it.

However, do not try to multiply the clock speed by the number of cores, that is not how it works. A 2.5GHz quad core is not at all equivalent to a 10GHz single core. In that comparison, the quad core would be significantly slower for a multitude of reasons.

1 decade ago

I have the same processor. It's not overclocked or anything and I have no problem with every game I have played. I think the limiting factor in my build is my graphics card. I have an old EVGA GTX 275. Very few games give me problems at max settings.

TL;DR = Good processor still to this day, just a pain in the ass because its hard to find good Socket 775 motherboards now.

1 decade ago

"have 4 cores this means is 10Ghz of 2,5x4=10?"

no. it more like means it can run 4 programs that need 2,5 each. some games even support 2 cores, so there it would be like 2,5x2, but most of the cases it means four programs with each 2,5. buy a intel i5 3550 and you have 4x3,4+intel intelligence (better working) so it will be like a 4+4,5 AMD.

So you need to have high numbers each and intel is ca. 30 % faster with some/most programs

1 decade ago

Well, I'm currently using an Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 now and it's still fine I guess (My desktop is 3 years old) :0

1 decade ago

Q6600 and 260GT, 5y old desktop. :D

1 decade ago

E8400 and 9800 GT, 4.5 year old desktop

1 decade ago

I want to upgrade my gpu but i don't want a high end gpu that will bottleneck my cpu

1 decade ago

Q8300 is good so long as it does not bottleneck in games, this means that you should not a gpu higher than gtx 560 or gtx 650ti, because your framerate will be limited to what ever your cpu can acheive

1 decade ago

8300 is alright but I found when I got my 3570k I got a huge performance increase

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by lordcataclysm10.