Ubisoft is selling a 2-D Prince of Persia spin-off for $49.99
Oh wait, there is also a deluxe version for $59.99

https://store.ubisoft.com/us/prince-of-persia-the-lost-crown-deluxe-edition/6408bde27ee83d203cf3bda6.html?lang=en_US

Meanwhile a random 3D fully fleshed out awesome game like Read Dead Redemption 2 or Cyberpunk 2077 is also $59.99
To make it more enjoyable, they replaced the original prince with a bland emo teenager. I wonder what genius makes these design decisions.
They should have just saved money and kept The Crew's servers open instead.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts:

I am not upset because this is a Ubisoft game, a 2D game or even that its $59.99 (ok maybe on that last part)
I am upset because its a Prince of Persia game without the Prince being sold for full price with very little thought IMO.

Imagine a Mario game without Mario being sold for full price. Well you don't have to because Nintendo would not call it Super Mario. It would be called something like Captain Toad Treasure tracker or Luigi's Mansion so we know what we are getting.

You are basically buying an expensive steak dinner without the steak. Chicken nuggets do not cost $59.99

Happy New Year

4 months ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Rayman Arena was the greatest Ubisoft game ever. only been downhill since that masterpiece

View attached image.
4 months ago

I remember playing this!
It even came with a Rayman branded controller - though I think I lost mine :-/

A really fun game that could use a proper remaster treatment!

4 months ago*

ive still got the disks. the other 3d rayman games as well.
i hate the 2d ones...

4 months ago

Oh, those were Rayman games. I still have my Rayman 2 and Rayman 3 original CDs.
I find Rayman 2 (recently replayed it and graphics still hold very well) to be much better than Rayman 3 in terms of story and setting (wis, although Rayman 3 was better in terms of fighting, and the box was wonderful, it had an awesome 3d cover. Both had a good soundtrack. Played those games a whole lot.

View attached image.
4 months ago

i already knew they were going to "destroy" Prince of persia when they showed us sand of time remake trailers

4 months ago

There's a rule you can't price a 2D game as high as 3D game? Damn, no one told me that!
Also, that's not a 2D game, it's just a side-scroller.

4 months ago

Lol, its an unwritten rule but yes there is.
Especially when you realize the Prince of Persia franchise collection is cheaper at full price of $49.95
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/23487/Prince_Of_Persia_Franchise/

4 months ago

It's a Metroidvania and not just some casual platformer. Indies like Blasphemous 2 cost 30€, Metroid Dread costs 60.

If it's not your cup of tea, pass. If you want it cheaper wait for a sale. But it's rather pointless to whine about the price just because it's 2D.

4 months ago

If I want a metroidvania I will go play Warrior Within again.
Metroid Dread is $60 but its the last game in the series so I understand the price. We know all Metroid games are great and who doesn't love Samus

This...whatever this is, is just a cash grab on the Prince of Persia name. It may well be the last one
Even the 2007 Prince of Persia classic is better than this: https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/store/Prince-of-Persia/BXHL96D1W827

4 months ago*

Your reasoning doesn't make much sense to me. Nothing you said about Metroid couldn't possibly be true for Lost Crown too.

To me it seems that you are just hellbent to dislike the game while you barely seem to know anything about it. Maybe just wait and see if it can keep up with the genre's best, then it makes sense to judge if the price is justified or not.

4 months ago

Oh no, Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown is receiving tons of great reviews. Some even consider it the first GOTY candidate in 2024.
Ubisoft, how dare you make a great game that people enjoy? Shame!

3 months ago

I laughed so hard when i seen price of Avatar xD 130€ for Ultimate Edition...

4 months ago

It looks very nice, I'll buy it on sale

4 months ago

the only person who lost their minds are people who pay this price

4 months ago

It might be 2D (not really, it uses 3D graphics) but it's still a AAA title from a major publisher, the price is not that much of a shock. I'm also not so sure if it counts as a spin-off considering that there's like 4 different continuities in the Prince of Persia franchise.

A different, and much more valid in my opinion, discussion is that we somehow ended up with a standard price for new releases that keeps going up thanks to all of these "special editions" or "deluxe" nonsense.

4 months ago

Denuvo?

4 months ago

I love how it's available everywhere except Steam & GOG. Safe to assume the vast majority of it's sales will be on console.

4 months ago*

Avatar, Mirage and Motorfest aren't yet either, they surely will come to Steam later.

4 months ago

Well, MW3 was supposed to be a DLC for MW2 which was supposed to be a dlc for MW 2019, and mw2 and mw3 were priced with $70 tag. so ?

4 months ago

Jokes on people buying those games, not the publisher(s) that get away with it.
Otherwise they wouldn't do it, if it weren't profitable

4 months ago

and it is actually a DLC.
Like, literally: https://imgur.com/grQpODc

3 months ago

Has Ubi lost their minds or is the people propping the system up by buying at these prices that have lost their minds?

4 months ago

Good question.

4 months ago

I love Prince of Persia. The trilogy I strongly recommend it to everybody.

This game? I am not going to play it even if it was free. The character design seems terrible

4 months ago

Not sure why you are bashing Ubisoft, just recently Sonic Superstars (also a 2d game) was released for 60 bucks as well... Probably the Mario game as well, but i can't say for sure.

4 months ago

Not sure why you are bashing Ubisoft

because it's ubisoft, they can't do any good simply by not being valve/steam. if valve released a $60 2d half life or portal metroidvania, very few people like op would complain.

4 months ago

If Valve made a 2D game you know if will be a GOTY contender with very little bugs and updates for several decades.

All recent Ubisoft games have been average at best: FarCay 6, Assassins Creed Valhalla, The Crew Motorfest, Rainbow Six Extraction. Riders Republic.
Motorfest is doing so poorly they had to shut The Crew 1 down to funnel players over.

I just want them to have an identity for once and actually think when developing new games instead of just making something and slapping some purchased ip name on it.

4 months ago*

not every game needs updates for several decades, in fact very few do. it's just idiotic entitlement from gamers who only want to play one game all their life, preferably for free and getting constant major content and other updates.

also, you didn't mention quality in your post, only whined about it being 2d and 60 bucks, and now you're whining about ubisoft's purchased ips while naming assassin's creed, the crew, far cry and the crew. I bet you wouldn't have a problem with yet another portal or half-life or l4d, 2d and 60 bucks still, even though that's what valve's been milking for decades.

4 months ago

I don't have to mention it. Ubisoft dropped quality a long time ago.
All games need updates. Because as a software / game increases in complexity with code, its more difficult to discover, test and fix issues without breaking something else. Some fixes take time and most developers just don't care enough.

Also most developers are unable to include everything they envisioned for many reasons. Mainly time-frame and existing technology. This is why as technology improves. Good developers continue to update their games.
Great examples are the Quake updates and Half-life

That said the Prince of Persia Trilogy did not have any updates. Not that they were not needed. But because the issues were not game breaking and they probably were not allowed to spend more money for a smoother experience.

4 months ago*

People would start drooling at anything made by valve, because that would mean that they started to make games again xD

4 months ago

they never stopped making games, released alyx and cs2 recently.

4 months ago

forgot about that xD maybe because I don't use VR and don't play CS.
Wake me up when will release HL3

4 months ago

You forgot to mention how Sonic Superstars is doing? Mixed / average reviews: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Superstars

If you are going to price a 2D game at $60 it better be a masterpiece.
This why everyone buys Mario games. They understand what makes their games great and keep improving on it. Super Mario Bros. Wonder is their fastest-selling Super Mario game yet with 98% on Metacritic.

4 months ago

I didn't forget, i'm just curious why target ubisoft specifically when Superstars did the same thing several months ago :)
Btw, Mario has 92 on metacritic, the 98% is openCritic.

4 months ago

After a few months, the price drops with seasonal sales and some coupons.
Epic Games has the game on pre-order; with summer sales, you can buy it cheaper (AC Mirage is now 23.50€; or 21.50€ with cashback).
If you want to play it on day -3, you can borrow the deluxe edition with Ubisoft+ (15€/month); a month should be enough to beat the game

4 months ago

Wow, looks Bobby moved on fast.

4 months ago

That's a 3D game with the camera facing the characters side (3D side scroller), not a 2D game. Camera position doesn't dictate price.

4 months ago

Its called 2D with "tilted perspective" if you want to go technical. Or 2.5D
There is a reason why early 3D games had 3D in the name....because the camera was not facing the characters side

4 months ago

2D = A two dimensional coordinate system (X/Y).
3D = A three dimensional coordinate system (X/Y/Z).
The cameras position or movement in a three dimensional environment does not negate that the world has three dimensions. The term '2.5D' is just a synonym for a 3D game that uses a fixed direction for its camera.

4 months ago

If you can only move in 2 dimensions in a world. Then its not 3D even if the world has infinite dimensions.

As an example:
Mario Bros is a 2D game: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros._Wonder.
Street Fighter is a 2.5D game: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Fighter_V
Tekken is a 3D game: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tekken
Super Mario RPG is an Isometric 3D game (3 dimensional movement): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_RPG

But don't just take my word for it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_of_Persia:_The_Lost_Crown

4 months ago*

We're not going to agree because I'm interpreting dimensions based on their strict definition, and you're interpreting them based on gameplay / camera movement. They're not the same thing, and they do not necessarily coincide with each other.

4 months ago

Good, now let's call out bad AAA games instead of fuming about a game being a 2D one, for the betterment of 2024 and all of us.

4 months ago

From first look it's 3D game, just a side scroller. Can't judge the price as I'm not into the genre. Ubisoft deserved a lot of criticism over years but I won't judge this game just because it's Ubisoft. They had some nice side scrollers in the past.

4 months ago

I luv UBI, I have all my Asassisn's and Far Cry's there, none in steam.

4 months ago

View attached image.
4 months ago

wouldnt happen if no one bought it. unfortunately theres plenty of people who do

4 months ago

Must have happened quite recently. Even the AC Chronicles games 2D platformers in AC universe cost $10 each.

Unfortunately, there are many problems in the industry, and overpriced games aren't even the biggest one of them. Take a look at this article - just reading the title will be enough.

Big corporations will make moves that make them money. Innovation = risk, and risk is bad. Releasing same game every year, cranking up the prices, preorders, overbloated deluxe/super deluxe/ultimate editions, season passes, microtransatcions and gambling in non-F2P games - all are bad things, but they keep happening for one simple reason.
Because enough people keep buying into this shit.

You are preaching to the choir a bit here. Most people here are bundle buyers, buying games at discounts. But who's to say this is the majority of money being spent in gaming? If you are an average Joe who doesn't have time for gaming and hunting for best deals, buying a single $60 title on release after you saw some ads on TV, billboards, bus stops, etc. and playing it for next 1-3 months you matter more from money gained perspective for a gaming publisher than any of us here. You need 10 people who wait until 90% off to give company same profit as one person who buys game at full price upon release (so not even counting dlc releases). An uninformed day 1 buyer has more power than informed, patient buyer.

4 months ago

Well said. Thanks

4 months ago

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts:

I am not upset because this is a Ubisoft game, a 2D game or even that its $59.99 (ok maybe on that last part)
I am upset because its a Prince of Persia game without the Prince being sold for full price with very little thought IMO.

Imagine a Mario game without Mario being sold for full price. Well you don't have to because Nintendo would not call it Super Mario. It would be called something like Captain Toad Treasure tracker or Luigi's Mansion so we know what we are getting.

You are basically buying an expensive steak dinner without the steak. Chicken nuggets do not cost $59.99

4 months ago*

And it doesn't even look like originals... Sad...

4 months ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.