So here we are at the close of another year. So, as usual, I got to wondering (AKA being nosy) as to what the people (at least I hope you are) of SG thought some of the best games of 2022 that you played.

Now keep in mind that these do not only have to be on steam nor do they been have to have come out in 2022. They could have been a backlogged from 12/35 years ago. Plus you don't have to have beaten the game yet. You could still be playing it now.

So to get started -
Elden Ring (of course almost 700 hours and counting)
Sunset Overdrive ( I can NOT recommend this game enough to people it's just THAT DAMNED GOOD)
Dead Cells
Resident Evil Village

Edit- Just added in that Life doesn't count as for some of us it's not a great game.

1 year ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Best ones I've played this year were

Terraria (best coop)
Satisfactory (runner up coop)
Salt and Sanctuary (best solo)
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel I (runner up solo).

1 year ago

I wish I could play Salt and Sanctuary again for the first time :)

1 year ago

Man, what a game. Seriously amazing experience.

1 year ago

I rarely replay games, but did like three runs (including NG+) there (almost 100 hours). Damn, some of the bosses (especially Disemboweled Husk and W(B)itch of the Lake) are something else on NG+... You gotta try it if you haven't yet :)

1 year ago

Never did a NG+ on it (but did play through it twice), as I had gotten all achievements except for 1 (kill The Unspeakable Deep), and that thing kicked my ass a few times, and by then I was pretty much done with it.

I might come back and try a NG+ one day, but I still have other games in the genre I haven't gotten to, such as Dead Cells and Hollow Knight, so it'll have to keep for a while :P

1 year ago

I was a bit curious and checked your achievements. It seems you're actually missing one of the ending achevements instead. Good reason for NG+ run if you ask me lol

I understand. I feel similarly about Blasphemous: would like to return and do DLC bosses and NG+, but I'm just about to start Hollow Knight :)

1 year ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

1 year ago

Oh, I was indeed wrong. I guess I did kill it. I completely forgot.
I see I'm missing the "Find Salvation" generic ending. I'll probably be back to the game one day. It's utterly fantastic after all, so why not..

I loved Blasphemous (though screw that windy snowy mountain area with those jumping platform stuff. Worst area in the game, easy.

Best of luck with Hollow Knight. I'll tackle that some time in the new year. Just have to find time ^_^

1 year ago

Well, maybe you cheesed it using a glitch so you're missing sense of accomplishment. At least that's how I got that achevement lol

Yeah, there are always some unnecessary annoying platforming sections in these games. One of the reasons I didn't enjoy that final boss either. Tbf, Salt and Sanctuary also has some shitty platforming really late in the game.

It took some time for me as well as I bought it in May. Finally, I may find enough to play it out :)

1 year ago*

Nah, I'm not that miffed that I'm missing out on 1 achievement. It does, as you say, provide a good opportunity to replay it. Perhaps with a different build.

Hah, I just looked at when I bought Hollow Knight.... Purchased 5 Oct, 2018 :D

1 year ago

I meant achievement for killing The Unspeakable Deep. Ending achievement probably can be cheesed as well, but I never needed to try that.

Oh, well... xD
That's interesting timing cause it was part of Humble Monthly just a month later...

1 year ago

Ah no I did kill the Unspeakable Deep, as I corrected, so no need for that :P

What can ya do @timing :-)

1 year ago

Well, "alternative method" involves killing it as well, just later in the game :P

Ok, I won't troll you anymore. I believe you kill it fair and square :)

1 year ago

Well, thanks to that post I just bought it on the steam sale. Been on my wishlist for a while anyway.

1 year ago

I'm glad I could help that decision. Enjoy the game :)

1 year ago

Well, I am NOT enjoying it. The first boss (not the one on the boat I understand that one) at least should be beatable, Not take 89% damage and then stunlock your character to death. The knight sucks. Sorry and I mean no offense to you or others that like the game but I'm refunding it. I'm not enjoying it at all. It's one thing to make a hard game. It's another thing to make a hard game for the sake of it BEING hard. At least Blasphemous you can beat the first boss and that;s a pretty hard game in and of itself.

1 year ago

Oof, I really didn't expect that. At least not from someone who played so much of Elden Ring and especially not from someone who played hundreds of hours of Dark Souls games as well... This game is basically 2D Dark Souls. Some might even call it a blatant rip-off lol
Now, maybe 2D Souls-likes just aren't your cup of tea? You mentioned Blasphemous. You didn't enjoy Hollow Knight either? S&S and Blasphemous aren't perfect games, but Hollow Knight is pretty close to being one.
Anyway, it seems pretty harsh to refund after an hour of gameplay. I also had pretty rough start playing it, but after I figured out that first boss it became way easier. It was the first Souls-like game I had ever played so I needed some time to adopt necessary mindset and mentality. That was why I was suprised that someone, who played many games which required similar skills, was giving up so easily.

1 year ago

Hollow Knight is a great game as well. And beautiful.

I tried a couple of different classes. What was the point of giving the hunter the crossbow in their inventory and not allowing us to use it?

1 year ago

I had to check it since I had never played hunter, only melee classes (yeah, I'm boring lol). You actually can use it by pressing Block/Offhand button as it's equipped to shield slot.

1 year ago

I tried that and nothing happened. I did try the shield class and I could block.

1 year ago

Well, idk. Worked normally for me. Did you try using shield in the boss fight? It makes it way easier.

1 year ago

Yeah I did.once he got to a certain point all he did was spam that shock and then jump me into a corner to repeat as a stunlock.

1 year ago

You just jump over the shockwave and roll through him when he jumps.

It has been two years since I have played the game. So, I decided to replay that fight for no particular reason (lol). Took me four tries.Three times I died because I was too greedy. Also, I basically handicapped myself by equipping shield (which I never used lol) so I had slow roll.

1 year ago

Blasphemous
Elden Ring
A Plague Tale: Innocence
Cuphead
Supraland
Superhot
Rise of the Tomb Raider

1 year ago

According to my retrospective
0% :Percentage of awarded titles you played that were new releases (games released in 2022)

I wish I could say Stray, Scorn, God of War or Little Nightmares II but later! I have Death Stranding, Prey and others recent AAA's to play on EGS So the best games played this year are Botanicula, Redout, the Walking Dead series and lot of small adventures (FAR lone sails, Darq, Rustler, Framed, Munin, Lara Croft Go...) some games that most of you probably have been played for a long time or will never touch even with a glove on the end of a stick 🤭

1 year ago*

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
Martha is Dead
Pentiment
Beacon Pines
Last Days of Lazarus
Expeditions Rome
Lost Eidolons

1 year ago

I'm honestly so surprised to see Lost Eidolons mentioned by someone else. You sir are a man of taste.

View attached image.
1 year ago

Neither sir, nor a man, but I did absolutely enjoy it :)

1 year ago

God of War
can't wait for the sequel

1 year ago

Yeah, it's so good

1 year ago

Lost Eidolons, a very decent Fire Emblem inspired game.
Against the Storm, a roguelite city builder. A combination that I don't know why isn't more popular after seeing how addictive this game is.
Borderlands 3. Finally managed to play through the whole thing in coop with a friend and even though the story/characters weren't as good as earlier titles the gameplay itself was stellar.

1 year ago

Haven't played much games this year but 3 of em that i played I really liked
Celeste most satisfying platformer I've played in a while
Hollow Knight love the art and the movement in the game
Sonic frontiers the bosses were so hype

1 year ago

Batman™: Arkham Knight
BioShock Remastered
Cuphead
Black Mesa
Dorfromantik
Little Nightmares II

1 year ago

Hades
Yakuza 0
Eiyuden Chronicles: Rising
Underhero
Slay the Spire
One Piece Pirate Warriors 4
SteamWorld DIg

1 year ago

Deleted

1 year ago*

i love your profile. :3

1 year ago

Deleted

1 year ago

I haven't played much this year, but:
ELEX 2
Disco Elysium
Kroniki Myrtany: Archolos
AC: Origins
Batman Arkham Knight
Impostor Factory

1 year ago

Gotham thighs, no doubt.

1 year ago

Oh boy, this year I was lucky enough to experience a great deal of good games. Well, I'v been jobless twice and it shows. Maybe its less lucky if we are looking at it this way. XD
Some that stood out:

LA Noire
BPM
The Night of the Rabbit
Cloudpunk
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
Stray
Aviary Attorney

And about a dozen more, which were all exceptional and not mentioning them feels like a dissservice.

1 year ago

I'll keep it simple:

Slay the Spire
Hades
Celeste
Vampire Survivors

Also special mention to Circadian dice didn't have enough time yet to delve into it as much as I want to.
Amazing year all in all, can't wait to play rogue legacy 2 and Silksong in 2023 too.

1 year ago

Elden Ring
Horizon Forbidden West
The Forgotten City
Stray
Deathloop
Dawn of Ragnarok DLC
Syberia The World Before
Chernobylite
Jurassic World Evolution 2

1 year ago

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1138990/BitLock/

EDIT:

you don't have to have beaten the game yet

Eh, I'd argue that you really should beat a game before recommending it; you never know when the quality will suddenly take a nosedive.

1 year ago

Oxygen Not Included – I was impressed with mechanics which make you use physics knowledge, it was so refreshing to see a game that doesn't think the best you can do is to press "F" in a certain time window.

Cities: Skylines – everything we wanted in SimCity 4 is in this game. Makes me think why the developers don't listen to the clients who literally tell them "if you'd add this and that I think it would be an incredible game and I would buy it right away".

Monster Sanctuary – it was pleasant to move around, controls were really nice. And taming monsters was cool. Last boss fight was tedious though and I decided to not finish the game because it just felt like work rather than fun. Overall it was great to just play it, I didn't have to finish it to enjoy it.

Star War Jedi: Fallen Order – mmm, it was so great to feel how powerful your character becomes. I really enjoyed it, especially the fights. Everytime I see a game based on a franchise I think it'll be crap. It was nice to see a game that was so polished and had been given so much love.

Death's Door – a pleasant balance between relaxing and challanging gameplay. It was so great to see an action game without a ton of reading because the developers wanted to "tell a story". Man, I miss Nuclear Throne vibe in games. Just straight to the point. Just let me blow things up. Death's Door scrathes that itch (even though it has a light focus on the story).

1 year ago

reading your review let me think 2023 is the good year to discover Cities Skylines. I wonder if it worth without DLCs and mods, and does steam let players mod it as they want, or is it considered as cheating or hack of database

1 year ago

I was modding RDR2 and had no problem although some mod had a disclaimer to not run Red Dead Online with them because they change gameplay and it might result in a ban. So in my understanding you're safe until you don't play multiplayer with mods. But have in mind it was first time ever I played with mods and I'm no expert, just a common sense.

I played Cities: Skylines with some DLCs already installed but I think vanilla is worth it. And when you'll be sure you like it, then invest in buying DLCs :) DLCs add even more to the gameplay I haven't even realized I wanted – like you can select an area as a park and citizens are going to treat it as a park. And you can create your own alleys, trees, coffee shops etc in this park. Very cool! Note that this is something completely different than building a playground or a square. You also have these but these are just a buildings like in SimCity while parks are more like zones that you can build other buildings within these zones :)

1 year ago*

thank you very much for all these details, that makes me want to play even more 😸

1 year ago

Elder Scrolls: Arena
Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall
Elder Scrolls III Morrowind
Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion
Elder Scrolls V Skyrim
Elder Scrolls: Blades
Elder Scrolls: Online

Kotor 1
Kotor 2

Witcher 1
Witcher 2

1 year ago

You definitely seem to enjoy a specific style of game haha, here to say both KOTORs are still amazing almost 20 years later

1 year ago

You are so right about Kotor. I love them. Although light side is more likely cannon due to comics, I greatly regret my dark side decision in kotor 1, that scene before leaving the planet for the final fight broke me.

1 year ago

Vampire Survivors. Very relaxing and I enjoy getting back to it with every update.

1 year ago

Only Indiana Jones could relax with Vampire Survivors.

1 year ago

my son loved Love money rock n roll - https://store.steampowered.com/app/615530/

but me i haven't really played that much

1 year ago

rune factory 4
Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning

1 year ago

• Hellpoint - Great souls-like. Took me a bit to like it, but I ended up loving it.
  • Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines - A classic I replay almost yearly. Highly recommend the Clan Quest Mod which includes some other mods as well.
  • My Time At Portia - Didn't think I'd enjoy the Life Sim genre, but it was easy to just keep playing this one. Great that it has goals unlike sandbox building games. Looking forward to My Time at Sandrock's release.
  • Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter - Another one I've replayed many times and it's still good. Even busy replaying Breath of Fire IV now.
1 year ago

My Time at Portia is one of my favorite games. I didn't even like that type of game but that one just drew me in. I'm now playing My Time at Sandrock. Might start over, though as I feel I screwed something up and I'm not too far in anyway.
Also the title theme might just be one of my top 10 favorite gaming themes.

1 year ago

Tomb Raider II and for the first time ever Tomb Raider III. Finished both with expansions.
Other than that, I started both Ys VIII and Memories of Celceta. I'm an Ys nut, so the games feel like putting on warm socks.

1 year ago

Deleted

1 year ago

Without even a second of doubt I name Kena: Bridge of Spirits

1 year ago*

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.