So here we are at the close of another year. So, as usual, I got to wondering (AKA being nosy) as to what the people (at least I hope you are) of SG thought some of the best games of 2022 that you played.

Now keep in mind that these do not only have to be on steam nor do they been have to have come out in 2022. They could have been a backlogged from 12/35 years ago. Plus you don't have to have beaten the game yet. You could still be playing it now.

So to get started -
Elden Ring (of course almost 700 hours and counting)
Sunset Overdrive ( I can NOT recommend this game enough to people it's just THAT DAMNED GOOD)
Dead Cells
Resident Evil Village

Edit- Just added in that Life doesn't count as for some of us it's not a great game.

1 year ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Well well well.
Like every year, its kinda hard to remember what games REALLY leaved an impact, but i'll try to mention some:

• Everspace 2 ( https://store.steampowered.com/app/1128920/EVERSPACE_2/ ) - still in early access, but will come out early
    next year and O BOY have i Freelancer and also some Wing Commander vibes from this game. Really a complete different experience then the first game with great storys and side storys in Space! I love what i see there and don't regret buying it (and playing a lot of it ^^) early!

• Vampire Survivors ( https://store.steampowered.com/app/1794680/Vampire_Survivors/ ) - what a great little game i sunk many many hours in. Its really the perfect thing to play when you got 30 minutes to kill (and then suddenly its morning again ^^). Loved it and can't believe i won it here on Steamgifts in our lovely little group!

• My time at Sandrock ( https://store.steampowered.com/app/1084600/My_Time_at_Sandrock/ ) - really liked the way MtaP did things in this life/farming/built thingy genre and when i won this game here it really delivered. Of course its still in early access, but what you can play so far has (for me at least) the right "Portia way" which i like. So really looking forward to the full release of the game, and loving what i see so far!

• Songs of Conquest ( https://store.steampowered.com/app/867210/Songs_of_Conquest/ ) - again, still in early access, but this is how the new Heroes of Might and Magic games should have been. I really loving the spin the get on this gerne and loving to play this. Really great game!

• Disco Elysium ( https://store.steampowered.com/app/632470/Disco_Elysium__The_Final_Cut/ ) - well, what to say, bought this game over on GoG when it released and it was a BLAST, so i bought it this year again on the switch to play it on the go and still, the game that flashed me the most since Planescape:Torment! Such excellency at writing, such a great World Building and Characters. Loved it from start to finish (again!^^)

so, thats it for me for 2022. Played a lot of other games, some were good, some not so good but these are my best of 2022! ^^

1 year ago

Titan Quest: I have not put this many hours into a non-casual game in recent years. I found myself carving time out of my sleep and other activities to "just do one more area".

Heaven's Vault: although I had my issues with some of the gameplay elements, the world-building was top-tier writing. It felt like a real world with its own real rules that exists somewhere in the universe. I genuinely felt transported.

Inscryption: a uniquely executed idea without sacrificing gameplay. It surprised me. Usually, when a game is too frustrating I move on to something else because I don't have time to keep replaying the same thing until I succeed, but the brilliantly crafted atmosphere and wanting to try different strategies and combinations enslaved me in the best way possible. I just couldn't tear myself away from it.

Chroma Squad: the game that had me grinning the whole time. Meticulously designed nostalgia, from the colors to the music to the silliness, everything just fits.

1 year ago*

Just want to add my +10 for Heaven's Vault. Yeah, the gameplay is mostly walking/cruising around, but the writing is superb (and, as you said, it really builds up this universe amazingly).

1 year ago

Usually I have a hard time answering that kind of question because I suck at playing favorites but this year, it's an easy one, despite playing a lot of great games
Spiritfarer
Detroit Become Human
Riders Republic (yeah I know, it's not Steam! Boo!)

1 year ago

Nier Gestalt and Disco Elysium both blew me away, and have probably entered my top 3 of the 2010s alongside Yakuza 0.

My favorite 2022 releases were Immortality, Pentiment, and the lesser-known but very good one-man JRPG project Shadow Fate.

1 year ago

Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Witcher 3 (again, as I replayed it this year)
Beyond Two Souls
Celeste
And now, since I've been hooked for the last week, one of the greatest indie games I've ever played, Vampire Survivors.

1 year ago

No particular order:

Blade Runner
Trover Saves The Universe
Terminator: Resistance Enhanced
Don't Escape: 4 Days to Survive
CARRION
Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion
SUPERHOT

1 year ago

My list, in no particular order:

Far Cry Primal
Far Cry 4
Powerslave: Exhumed
Elden Ring
Dragon Quest Builders 2
Honorable Mention: Grounded (haven't beaten it yet but it's so dang fun and creative for a survival game)

1 year ago

Cats and the Other Lives

A beautiful point & click where you play as a cat.

1 year ago

Sunset Overdrive, as a fan of Ratchet & Clank, i really enjoy this one.
Ato, nice mix and metroidvania and boss rush.
Kukoos: Lost Pets, nice 3d plateform games, but the price is really too high imo (get if for free with my steam curator group)
Spark The Electric Jester 3, a must have for all Sonic 3D fan.
SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech, great RPG with card system.
Descenders, why i have 35+ hours of play on it in only 2 month ?
DT Carnage (PSP), take it for my old PSP for a travel for a few days, remember trying it years ago, and rage quit into zone 2, play it again and love it, and still play, get throught zone 8, the game is really hard, often unfair and have some framerate problem in some part of the race, but love the upgrade system for the cars and all powerup to upgrade.

1 year ago*

Vampire Survivors - (Digital drug)
Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - (FINALLY completed the main quest)
Red Faction - (Great classic, a lot of fun)
Starbound
Blasphemous
Record of Lodoss War-Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth
A Plage Tale Innocence

1 year ago

Nier: Automata
Fallout 4's DLC
The Forest (played solo)
Pathfinder: Kingmaker Enhanced Edition (in progress)

1 year ago

Suzerain was magnificent
Skyrim AE has been mostly very good, so far
Mafia Remaster was so, so good!
Lego incredibles was a lot of fun.
Late shift was enjoyable
March to glory is quite enjoyable.

1 year ago

Had to look at my HLTB account to make sure I didn't miss anything! The game that I sunk more hours in was Final Fantasy IX, something I've been meaning to play since I got the game for my 8th birthday back in the day. Immediately followed it with Unsighted which remains as the best surprise of the year. Finally discovered Slay the Spire which I still play to this day. Got my fix of immersive sims by finally finishing System Shock 2 and starting the modern Deus Ex games: Human Revolution (beaten) and Mankind Divided (playing right now). Had my first experience with a modern, open-world game in Watch Dogs and finally, just finished A Short Hike after having it in my list forever.

And these were just the highlights, I'm not even including the games I played and didn't enjoy that much! It was a great year, granted.

1 year ago

Guilty Gear Strive. My itch for fighitng games is still strong and this year I got to play DNF Duel and GGS, both were fun but Strive's neutral and true juggle combos just feel better than DNF's with some pretty long stupid loops (looking at you Berserker). Also Strive's OST is WAY TOO GOOD "I cant believe they include a free game with this album" meme is too real.

1 year ago

1 year ago

Road 96
Titanfall 2
Vomitoreum
Sleeping Dogs

1 year ago

How could I forget Road 96! Amazing game.

1 year ago

Didn't play a lot this year, but Planet Crafter would be the one I spent most time with and liked best.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1284190/The_Planet_Crafter/

1 year ago

Deep Rock Galactic

1 year ago

Since I love lists, I will give you my top 10 (and more!): :D :D

1. Planescape Torment Enhanced Edition
  2. The House in Fata Morgana
  3. Ghost of a Tale
  4. Supraland
  5. Timelie
  6. Wandersong
  7. Hostile Waters (Anteus Rising)
  8. Legend of Grimrock 2
  9. Control
  10. Blades of Time

Honorable Mentions:

1. In Other Waters
  2. Horace
  3. Far Cry 5
  4. Cat Quest 2
  5. Of Orcs and Men
  6. Technobabylon
  7. Void Bastards
  8. Linelith
1 year ago

Man, Supraland was such a nice game but I felt so nauseous playing it. I haven't realized how bad it was until I was feeling sick just by looking at the word "Supraland" 😂

1 year ago

Oh, so sorry, it is a good game. Not sure if it is related to FPS or all the jumping around -- but, if you ever decide to go back to it, they do have a FOV button, which might help a lot with nausea. Or turn off motion blur, this also gives me headaches sometimes.

Cheers!

1 year ago

Yeah, I've tried a lot of things and it helped only a little. Sometimes I felt okay-ish and thanks to that I've got really far, near the end of the game 🙂 But to this day my body feels terrible just thinking about it – like right now. I'm starting to get sweaty already 😀

1 year ago

I'm from Ukraine and haven't had much time for games this year, but Stray helped me escape from reality

1 year ago

• Witcher 3
  • No Man's Sky
  • Monster Sanctuary
  • Bionic Dues
  • Shadow Warrior
  • 198X

Biggest disappointments:

• Rimworld
  • This War of Mine
1 year ago

mostly played some of the worst looking games in my library, and i dont regret one bit that i finished Alone in the Dark illumination
the following are pretty much the best games i've played this year:
Stasis well, except it has that old school pointnclick thing where they make you click randomly everywhere because you're not quite sure what you are doing. Also the suicide easter eggs are kinda pointless, should be better presented and added into the narrative itself.
Dusk actually, Dusk doesnt try that much, it's just really damn good game that doesn't waste your time
the crew 2 The driving is kinda meh, but it's the best open world map in any racing game. it still gets updates, albeit the developer is always half asleep every time they add content
Descenders Really fun, but i wasn't really into the daily grind, challenges and the cosmetic stuff.
Snowrunner One of my favorite games of all time. Has tons of mods and gets new content. Unless they want to rebuild their engine, there is really no reason to make another one of these.
The game is jank, and the physics lean more towards arcade, if you want simulation you kind have to follow your own rules.
Milk outside a bag of milk outside a bag of milk cool short horror novel with a couple of different choices

1 year ago

DUSK is outstanding, I'm really glad you got to enjoy it!

1 year ago

On PC I've passed too many time on Dying Light 2 but on my old Wii U I've passed the rest of the year on Zelda BOTW :) Thx for the topics :)

1 year ago

UnderMine and Ziggurat 2. Both are good for some mindless roguelite fun with good amount of cool and sometimes ridiculous weapons (Z2) and items combos (UM) to try out. Also, Z2 could be used as a pretty decent casual warm-up tool before your sweaty online FPS games sessions, hehe.

1 year ago

Wildermyth was far and away my favorite out of anything I played this year, and I would not hesitate to say it is one of the best games I have ever played.

Other games I played this year that I truly enjoyed:
Everspace
Chronicon
Tropico 4
RB: Axolotl

1 year ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.