Hey hey hey. So, if you guys didn't know, Starbound is the spiritual successor of Terraria. They have finally thrown us some meat about pricing and pre-orders that I thought some of you guys would like to know!

http://playstarbound.com/store/

Free Avian Tier - A forum badge for those who Tweet about the game
$15 Pixel Tier - beta (non-Steam, when it's ready) + base game (Steam, when it's ready) + 66 sound tracks
4 pack available, probably $45-50
$20 Silver Tier - All of the above + Penguin forum badge
4 pack available, probably $60
$45 Gold Tier - All of the above + Name an NPC
Diamond Tier - All of the above + Name in credits
Platinum Tier - All of the above + Design a hat
Solarium Tier - All of the above except you design a weapon (its design, how it fires/swings) instead of a hat
~$2000 Impervium Tier - All of the above except no hat/weapon + get a statue of yourself in the game as an object

Info about pricing can be found on their forums here *Prices may change, launch price will be higher
Newer screenshots and info about what progress has been made can be found on their shiny, new ROADMAP.
Chance to name your own STAR over at Reddit
If you have an account/sign up, there is a char creator available here
New teaser video
Some gun effects

Do you think $15 is a fair base price? Will you guys be pre-ordering it? A 4-pack with some friends? Who else is getting the Impervium Tier?

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Cool! Stars and stuff!

1 decade ago

yesssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!

1 decade ago

Awesome! :D

1 decade ago

I wants me that beta.

1 decade ago

Don't know if happy because Starbound or sad because of the end of my real life...

1 decade ago

I know how you feel. I dropped a straight 150 hours the day I bought Terraria.

1 decade ago

I will wait to see if my friends and other people like it.

1 decade ago

I haven't been this excited since my second child was born.

1 decade ago

$15 is more than fair based on the time I put in Terraria, been excited for this game for awhile, if I get some more money soon I'll definitely be doing a 4pack with friends

1 decade ago

No where in that post from TiY does it mention you get a steam key. You know they are going to be selling a non steam and steam version of the game right? Similar to how Torchlight 2 has one of each.

1 decade ago

<@Tiy> the beta will contain the entire sandbox portion of the game
<@Tiy> so its mostly done
<@Tiy> the server works fine
<@Tiy> it just needs nice admin tools and such
<@Tiy> buying it from us directly
<@Tiy> will get you a free steam key
<@Tiy> when it becomes available
<@Tiy> we're basically giving you two copies of the game, one from us, and one for you to get on steam for your convenience
post no, actual irc yes pastebin

1 decade ago

1 decade ago

Thank you for showing a actual post in relation to a steam key since it was not mentioned in the pre-order post from TiY

1 decade ago

There's no reason NOT to give purchasers Steam keys as they are 100% free for the developers. The same with Torchlight 2, except Runic doesn't give us a free Steam key, even though they could (again, since it's free for them).

I've previously purchased 3 copies of TL2 on Steam but wanted to purchase another copy for a friend. Thought I'd buy it directly from Runic as they'll get more money that way (since Steam doesn't take a cut). I was disappointed to know my friend wouldn't get a Steam key.

It's not the end of the world as we can still play together, but I honestly don't understand why as it's free for the developer.

1 decade ago

they think you will sell that key/give it away and play the game not through steam most likely

1 decade ago

The key is free for the developer however if someone keeps the non steam version and gives the steam version to someone that person got the game for free since they did not buy the game.

1 decade ago

I like how the team behind Kerbal Space Program handled it. When steam became an option they set it up so that you can stay on their site -or- have a steam key, and if you activate through steam you can no longer run it directly from their store.

1 decade ago

I get what you're saying but they could just remove the copy from the Runic account and send the Steam key to the email associated with the account.

Like I said, it's not the end of the world and we can still play together. However, one issue is that mods created for the Workshop (so easy to just subscribe than having to download the mod every time they update - just look at Synergies, that's like one new version every day!) is that they aren't automatically compatible with each other, unless the creator specifically made them to be.

Or, at least that's what Runic's support told me.

Oh well, we're enjoying the vanilla game more than with any mods right now anyway so it doesn't really matter. Still, it could have easily been fixed.

1 decade ago

I'll wait for a price drop.

1 decade ago

me2

1 decade ago

i agree

1 decade ago

Looks good, but I'll wait.

1 decade ago

I don't know. If I get it it will most likely be a 4 pack, but I'm not really sure on spending 60$ on it. D:

1 decade ago

The 4 pack is only 45$

1 decade ago

Yeah I know. I posted this before there was a fixed price and I'd heard it was 20$ a copy.

1 decade ago

do you think it'll run on a mac? :)

1 decade ago

Use Wine or Bootcamp

1 decade ago

or razuto dont play at mp3 mplayer:_D

1 decade ago

lol true

1 decade ago

Not going to buy this one. Still mad about dropping terraria.

1 decade ago

1 decade ago

Thanks for the link! Didn't see that one yet

1 decade ago

Nobody working on Starbound is responsible for that. Tiy did art and art alone. Red and Blue were the coders, and after some work on the XBLA version it seems the PC Terraria is finally getting attention again.

1 decade ago

Yeah they should have updated that game until the end of time. I mean you paid a whole 3$ for it, how dare they move on to other games!!

1 decade ago

No, YOU paid $3- for it I payed the full €10-. Also they promissed lots of updates. 1 big patch and a half one isn't close to their promisses.

1 decade ago

Better get your facts straight, you did get alot of updates, there were alot pre-release plus a very large one post release. If you paid those 10$ you either paid to support the developers or paid to get into the beta, otherwise you would have gotten it at one of the 100000 sales the game had, either way with the amount of content the game has you got your money's worth. Or did you expect the devs to be your slaves forever for 10$?

Plus your bitching here is pointless, Starbound is not made by the same developers and Terraria is getting more patches.

1 decade ago

Get your facts straight most of those updates are critical fixes. Also a part of the Terraria team worked on starbound.

1 decade ago

If by 'a part of' you mean one guy who did art assets, then you're correct. If you think that justifies enough of a link between two different games by two different studios that otherwise only share some similarities in gameplay, appearance, and such, then I find your willingness to equivocate them and hold one's faults against the other highly questionable.

1 decade ago

To be fair the devs put a ton of planned updates on their site years ago with promises of continual updates (and they left these promises up for years) and until recently they had no announced plans to ever update the pc version again. There hasn't been a single update since I got the game which is not at all what I expected based on the website. I don't complain because it was still worth the money, but they really should have updated their site to reflect the slower development.

1 decade ago

Oh dear, You almost makes me pity you. I've also paid 10€ for Terraria and guess what? I played for over 50 hours, so it equals around 0.2€ per hour for me. How much do you pay for a movie in cinema? I think the Terraria is worth much more.

1 decade ago

They left the game to rot.

1 decade ago

Who are "they"? You didn't mean Chucklefish, the developer of Starbound? Maybe you didn't notice but Chucklefish isn't the developer of Terraria.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ5mt1pMuaI You should check this out.

1 decade ago

Terraria developers. Who else can they be?

And I'm well aware of what starbound is and terraria is.

1 decade ago

soo terraria getting a new update pretty soon is leaving it to rot?

sure it didn't get alot of updates, but its still a great game

1 decade ago

They abandoned the game. This update is just a weak attempt to make the game "popular" before Starbound gets released trying to harvest more money.

1 decade ago

This!

1 decade ago

This game is looking way better and better than terraria, but please, please tell me they are making it easier to connect to multiplayer or friends, thats my only gripe from terraria

1 decade ago

I totally agree. In the roadmap their progress on multiplayer setup is a little lacking, I hope they don't rush it. Even syncing issues were pretty bad in Terraria until my host got T-shock installed on the server. I still can't host due from ports saying they aren't open :/

1 decade ago

Hmmmmmm... I will wait and see...

1 decade ago

Meh

1 decade ago

Woohoow! Goodbye money, hello Starbound :D!

1 decade ago

They've taken to publicly reprimanding their community. I used to moderate their IRC channel and left over similar issues. Good luck to them, I guess, but there are better ways to run a company.

1 decade ago

Reading your supplied link, I'd say that if the community is full of dicks, you reprimand the community.

I've always been in the mindset that the customer is NOT always right, even if they think they're entitled to be wrong. You give money, I give service, you give grief to everyone, I block your account. I have no problem losing one customer to keep a thousand others happy and unflamed on the forums.

1 decade ago

Depends. If someone is causing issue they should generally be dealt with in private. If your entire community has gone to hell, then you've done something wrong somewhere.

1 decade ago

Like (some of) the Steam community? I see rudeness in the forums all the time, has little to do with Valve.

1 decade ago

So telling a certain part of the community to stop acting like dicks is a bad thing now?

1 decade ago

+

1 decade ago

That post seems perfectly reasonable, to me.

1 decade ago

seems like a good post to me...

1 decade ago

HURRRRRRRRRRRAY!!!!!!!

1 decade ago

Can't wait =)

1 decade ago

Before I buy more stuff from them, they should backport the stuff consoles get. Maybe then I'll think of buying this.

1 decade ago

There's an update for Terraria coming out around May.

1 decade ago

Only one of the Starbound developers worked on Terraria, and they were only on it as an artist.

1 decade ago

And here is the link to preorder (currently password protected), starting F5 spam in 3...2...1...

http://www.playstarbound.com/store/pre-order

1 decade ago

Admin - admin worked for me

1 decade ago

Screenshot or GTFO :D

1 decade ago

Sounds great. Is this going to be an MMO-ish game with official servers or you have to do stuff on your own server? If so, I hope it'll be easier to connect to others than it was in Terraria.

1 decade ago

i'll definitely pre order this game

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by Sklurm.