Tour de France 2020

Also running: Italian Grand Prix Part II

How it works

Predict who is going to win each stage of the Tour.

• Leave your prediction for each stage on the giveaway (they all include maps and profiles and link to the official site).
  • Below is a table with all stages but you can just go the first one and use the "next stage" link there.
  • We're not going to make it too easy so it's not allowed to just spam the same rider for all stages.

Stages

Date Stage (Giveaway) Steam
Saturday, 29 August Nice to Nice Mission Runway
Sunday, 30 August Nice to Nice Sword of the Samurai
Monday, 31 August Nice to Sisteron Greenwood the Last Ritual
Tuesday, 1 September Sisteron to Orcières-Merlette Chester One
Wednesday, 2 September Gap to Privas CrazyCars3D
Thursday, 3 September Le Teil to Mont Aigoual Vampire of the Sands
Friday, 4 September Millau to Lavaur Plantera
Saturday, 5 September Cazères to Loudenvielle 123 Slaughter Me Street
Sunday, 6 September Pau to Laruns Slave Zero
Monday, 7 September Charente-Maritime My Pet Rock
Tuesday, 8 September Île d'Oléron to Île de Ré Blues and Bullets
Wednesday, 9 September Châtelaillon-Plage to Poitiers Crab Cakes Rescue
Thursday, 10 September Chauvigny to Sarran Proto Raider
Friday, 11 September Châtel-Guyon to Puy Mary One More Dungeon
Saturday, 12 September Clermont-Ferrand to Lyon Pilot Brothers 2
Sunday, 13 September Lyon to Grand Colombier Enola
Monday, 14 September Isère Command HQ
Tuesday, 15 September La Tour-du-Pin to Villard-de-Lans Vindictive Drive
Wednesday, 16 September Grenoble to Méribel (Col de la Loze) The Space Garden
Thursday, 17 September Méribel to La Roche-sur-Foron Hordelicious
Friday, 18 September Bourg-en-Bresse to Champagnole Hide and Secret Treasure of the Ages
Saturday, 19 September Lure to La Planche des Belles Filles Operation KREEP
Sunday, 20 September Mantes-la-Jolie to Paris (Champs-Élysées) Empires Of Creation

This table/chart is RaChart™ compatible and was created with Giveaways Table/Chart Creator

Preview

Postponed because of Covid-19; things are still iffy, obviously. Important new rules; any rider testing positively will be removed from the race immediately. If two of a team's personnel (riders or otherwise) test positive for the disease then the entire team is removed from the competition. This could obviously be huge; having the Yellow Jersey and then being sent home because a mechanic and a cook have Covid-19 will sting.

The teams are unhappy with this rule and have complained to the ASO. Edit: the UCI (and not the ASO) has changed the rule: now a team is only ejected if two riders test positive within 7 days of each other. Personnel testing positive is no longer relevant (though those people obviously still need to leave). Edit 2: The French government has put their foot down and the original rule is back in effect.

Today, the 27th of August, Covid cases are rising sharply in France, 21 departments are now at code red. The chances of the Tour being changed, shortened, or cancelled are unfortunately increasing. Journalists are even speculating that teams might want to fight harder the first week to gain the yellow jersey should the Tour be stopped before the three weeks are up.

Another tour designed for the climbers; 29 ascents of the top three categories in total (only five uphill finishes but more climbing kilometres than ever in recent history). There's not even a flat time trial this year, and no team time trial at all; we have to go way back in time for a Tour more suited to time trialists. All done for Romain Bardet again? Unfortunately for the French, he isn't going to win this year either.

This year the organisation has been looking for some new ascents so there will be some mountains included that the riders are less familiar with. One example is the Col de la Loze, the 'roof; of this year's Tour (2,304 metres); only last year was the trail there turned into a proper road, making it possible to go there. It also means we'll be spending more time in nice places like the Jura, Corrèze, and Vosges.

Back from 2018 is Plateau des Glières; part of the descent is a dirt road where Froome got a puncture last time.

Also see the PEZ Preview.

The Tour Touristique bits are mostly from the Tour site (recognizable by the appalling command of the English language) and Wikipedia.

Sites
Official Site (Also available in German now, I noticed. Their English is still as bad as ever.)
Wikipedia
A better list of riders than the official site, with thanks to bartwu

General Classification (abbreviated as GC)
This is the one it's all about, who will bring the maillot jaune (yellow jersey) to Paris?

Well, this Tour will be all about the Team Ineos vs Team Jumbo-Visma battle. I can't see the winner coming from any but one of these teams.

• Ineos is starting with last year's winner, Egan Bernal, but has left Geraint Thomas (second last year, winner in 2018) and Chris Froome (four time winner) from the team. They are bringing Richard Carapaz though, winner of the 2019 Giro d'Italia. It's going to be interesting to see how he will do. Add to that a number of strong helpers, including Pavel Sivakov who has been doing really well the last few weeks and could be a considered a dark horse. Bernal quit the Dauphine with back issues but I can't imagine they are that much of an issue or the team would have changed the lineup. It's his Tour to lose.
  • Jumbo-Visma is bringing Primož Roglič and Tom Dumoulin. They were also going to bring Steven Kruijswijk (third last year) but unfortunately a crash in the Dauphine means he is out. They, too, are bringing a raft of good helpers for both the flat and mountain stages. Amund Grøndahl Jansen has been subbed in for Steven Kruijswijk meaning Wout van Aert will now be called upon more in the mountain stages. Roglič's wife has said that Primož is far from 100% after his crash in the Dauphine but the team was quick to deny this; it's hard what to make of this.
  • Team Arkéa-Samsic managed to get Nairo Quintana who wasn't very happy at Movistar. Gotta wonder what Warren Barguil thought of this, as he was the undisputed leader till then, I can't see him do much work for Quintana. But Nairo has his brother Dayer and Winner Anacona for support. Third place seems possible.
  • Groupama-FDJ's Thibaut Pinot had to leave the Tour in 5th place due to a muscle injury last year. He should be back stronger this year though he could do with some stronger helpers in his team. Another third place contender?
  • UAE Team Emirates' Fabio Aru might be the GC rider on paper, everyone is waiting to see what Tadej Pogačar can do. After the Vuelta last year has star has risen metorically. Third place is definitely within his capabilities. If Jumbo-Visma have the money, they should sign him right now.
  • Bora–Hansgrohe have been punching above their weight quite impressively ever since they started in 2010. Emanuel Buchmann came in fourth last year but he, too, had a nasty crash in the Dauphine so we'll have to see how he'll do. Amazingly Emanuel Buchmann is also starting; he broke his clavicle in Il Lombardia just two weeks ago!
  • AG2R La Mondiale's Romain Bardet will be so happy there's only a short time trial, and one uphill at that. Still, after a 2nd and 3rd place, his results have been going downwards, not upwards the last few years. A 5th place this year seems about the best he can do.
  • Trek-Segafredo's hopes are on Richie Porte and Bauke Mollema. Will the eternally unlucky Australian finally have a Tour de France without any accidents? I hope so, but even then the podium doesn't seem attainable. Will Bauke be there for a stage win or the GC?
  • Astana's Miguel Angel Lopez doesn't seem to be able to live up to his promise.
  • Movistar is hoping for Enric Mas to surprise everyone but the podium seems impossible at this stage.

King of the Mountain (often abbreviated as KoM)
The maillot a pois (polka dot jersey) goes to the best climber; who will it be this year? Obviously the GC riders will all feature in this classification but there are some others...

• Romain Bardet (who is moving to Team Sunweb next year) won this classification last year, and, depending on how his GC is going, he's likely to win it again.
  • Team Bahrain-McLaren are bringing Mikel Landa and Wout Poels (both former Team Ineos mountain men). A few years ago Landa was the best climber at Ineos, better than Froome and Thomas, but wasn't allowed to go for all he was worth. Now he can do what he wants but a KoM victory seems a lot more likely than a GC one. And they also have Damiano Caruso who came in 4th in the KoM last year.
  • EF Pro Cycling are bringing a few real mountain goats; can any of them produce consistently?
  • Tim Wellens (3rd in the KoM standings last year) had a nasty crash on Monday and won't be starting, unfortunately.
  • Edit: had a talk on the phone and realised I should probably give Julian Alaphilippe a mention here, he won it in 2018. I don't think the stages are very suited to him this time though.

Sprinters
It's definitely not a Tour for a lot of sprint victories and many teams have not even brought one. Not all flat stages will be contested by them but there's still a number of stage that should end in a bunch sprint.

• Caleb Ewan won three stages in the Tour last year, enough said.
  • Seems like Thierry Gouvenou made sure a number of the sprint stages should suit Arnaud Démare but guess what; he's not starting.
  • Freshly minted European (and Italian) Champion Giacomo Nizzolo will be in the mood to get his first win (and more) in a grand tour. (I can't help myself and just have to say that if Mathieu van der Poel had gone right instead of left he wouldn't have gotten boxed in and would have easily won the European Championship.)
  • There isn't a year where Deceuninck - Quick-Step doesn't manage to bring a good sprinter, in 2020 Sam Bennett is to do it for them.
  • Elia Viviani won one stage last year and is definitely able to add to that.
  • Peter Sagan might not win a single bunch sprint but he will still be bringing the green jersey to Paris, extending his record.

Feel free to leave your predictions for jersey winners and other speculations in the comments below.

Man of the Tour

Normally I'd be saying Peter Sagan (as I do every year) but we have a really weird Tour this year. I'd love to hear your predictions for this category.

Tour Trivia

The longest stage this year, Chauvigny to Sarran (218 km), is the shortest ever longest stage in Tour history.

The North of France is ignored completely this year; see the map.

View attached image.
3 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

September 10
Third time's the charm! Marc Hirschi has been so impressive this Tour and he finally gets what he deserves. Amazing, he's only just 22 and takes his first professional win of his career in nothing less than the biggest race in cycling. We're gonna see a lot more of him, I'm sure. I wouldn't even be surprised if he won another stage this Tour.

Incredibly tough stage tomorrow; I'm prediciting loads of riders won't make it within the time limit (so the jury will extend it).

View attached image.
3 years ago

Really, the other day he was amazing, despite failing to win, and now a similar performance. It's so impressive to see him gain tme and defend it against quality chasers, today I was calling him "the new Evenepoel" :))

3 years ago

It's amazing how many young talents are in cycling these days; on the one hand it's sad for them cause with so many great riders no one is probably going to gain a large number victories. I wonder if we'll ever get another rider to win all five monuments. Mathieu and Wout have the talent for it but you need some luck as well.

3 years ago

Hirschi has already won the U23 Wold Championship and the U23 European Championship (both in 2018), so he was known as a talented rider :)

3 years ago

Yeah absolutely, he's not coming out of nowhere, but currently there are so many very young, very talented riders emerging that it's easy to lose track of them. I can say that 2 weeks ago I was barely aware of Hirschi, now I definitely am ;)

3 years ago

September 11
Max Schachmann looked good for the victory for a long time and I would have been happy for him to win it. Bora must be mad that they couldn't grab it with two guys there at the final km. But Daniel Martínez was cleary the strongest at the end; Colombian mountain power. The first win for EF in ages.

The GC guys finally got going at the end and we have some major shakeups with French hopes Martin and Bardet dropping out of the top 10. Bernal looked completely powerless at the end, is it a temporary setback? For now it looks like it will be Pogačar who will attack the yellow jersey. With Colombians at places 3, 4, 5, and 6 behind him.

I am so bummed that Bauke Mollema is out with possibly a broken wrist. He was doing good in the GC and he's always best in the third week of the grand tours. This could have been such a good year for him.

View attached image.
3 years ago*

So far Primo Rigoz and Ted Poga, are um level ahead others contenders (or maybe two) Ineos are no longer the boogeyman team

3 years ago

September 12
Søren Kragh Andersen got so much distance on everyone else that last one and a half kilometre, amazing!

They said the final stretch today was like Milan-Sanremo and they were right. I expected someone to really go for it on the second to last col but it didn't materialise. Team Sunweb really was the team of the day, starting with the weird stuff at the start of the stage, which they explained was a mistake. But at the end, lauching one rider after the other, as soon as the previous one was caught; that's some strategy.

Tomorrow we finish on top of the Grand Colombier!

View attached image.
3 years ago

3 years ago

September 13
What a day! I did not expect losses this big...

Tadej Pogačar shows once again he is the only other contender for yellow this year. A lot can happen in the final week though and the time differences aren't super big.

Not a good day for two of the Colombians. It's really suprising how far Bernal and Quintana dropped in a stage that should be better suited for them then any we've had so far.

Rest day tomorrow and then a pretty nasty stage!

Can't help but mention that Mathieu finally got a victory today as well. :)

View attached image.
3 years ago

Poor Bernal, his Tour is OVER!! Now is GO Pogačar GO!!!

3 years ago

Poor Higuita. I'm not sure if Jungels should be punished for that crash...

3 years ago

Yeah, Jungels really should have paid attention, I do think there should be a penalty for that.

3 years ago

I thought Bernal was going to improve drastically in the 2nd and 3rd week, instead he cracked big time. Totally unexpected !!

3 years ago

September 15
A few days ago he got close and today Lennard Kämna takes a beautiful and deserved victory, showcasing his time trial skills. He left Carapaz in the dust and was ahead in no time. I wonder if Team Sunweb regrets him going to Bora, who will be very happy with some real success after all their earlier attempts.

Among the GC contenders Miguel Angel Lopez tried it at the very end after Pogačar couldn't get away but to no avail. Bernal definitely fell through; I wonder what's going on, at this point it seems less likely he'll make it to Paris.

Tomorrow we'll see then entire top 14 of the GC battle it out on two HC mountains!

View attached image.
3 years ago

Kamna was really impressive, I remember him as junior world champ but I thought it was much further in the past, instead he's only 24, another guy for this golden generation!

RE Bernal, I don't understand if he is ill (he doesn't look well) or if he decided to save as much energy as possible to try something in the coming days.

3 years ago

When Kämna managed to seprerate from Carapaz, my mind flashed back to Hirschi and his win. Both having come so close before and then managing to win their next try.

W/r/t Bernal, this NBCsports article mentions him being injured. I read about it somewhere else too, but don't remember where exactly right now.
Though in my opionion he would be better served to just abandon the Tour, if he's injured badly enough to have such a hard time. Let the other guys in his team take their chances and get healthy, because his Tour is ruined regardless of him reaching Paris or not. I don't see him getting a stage win tomorrow or in the next few days, so why risk delaying the healing progress.

3 years ago*

He will go probably in a breakaway for stage win

3 years ago

September 16
It's amazing what a last kilometre can do. :p

Miguel Ángel López surprisingly takes the win and gains back a few seconds on Primož but he, in turn, wins time on all the others.

Tomorrow another hefty stage but it should be even harder to make up time there. It seems likely that Saturday's time trial will be the only real way for big changes to happen.

A demain!

View attached image.
3 years ago

Above 2,000 m and it's Colombian territory ;). We weren't the only ones who saw Pogacar slightly better than Roglic, looks like Primoz has the Tour in his hands instead.

3 years ago

September 17
This sure was one of the stranger stages in recent history.

Michal Kwiatkowski would definitely have beat Richard Carapaz in an actual sprint but was this finish a nice gesture or should it have been an actual battle?

I did think at least one GC guy would lose some time today but it turned out the Tour has been a few days too long for a number of them. Yates was the biggest surprise for me.

Tomorrow no mountains and then Saturday the final (and only) time trial!

View attached image.
3 years ago

Polkadot jersey for Carapaz, stage win for Kwiatkowski - a fair deal and a good day for Ineos :)

3 years ago

It was very strange indeed, I normally hate these kind of finishes, but for some reasons that I don't fully grasp , today I thought it was the good decision, Carapaz deserved it for his efforts , but Kwiato ha pulled a lot today and is a long time elite domestique for the team.

And we are talking about Sky/Ineos , a team that I've always disliked with a passion, what's gotten into me today :D??

3 years ago

Yeah, I know what you mean...

It's weird, they lost Bernal and celebrate today like they won the GC.

3 years ago

September 18
I only just got home but was able to (mostly) see the last 15 km or so. Another amazing win by Søren Kragh Andersen! The others just looked at each other and by then he was gone. Another powerful solo and it was three victories for Team Sunweb.

View attached image.
3 years ago

September 19
I cannot believe what I just saw!!

View attached image.
3 years ago*

I'm now curious if tomorrow he tries to grab the green jersey too :D

3 years ago

I'm glad I could witness. SUPER TED

3 years ago

Unless you are poor Roglic, that was probably the most epic TT in ages! I was left standing in front of the TV amazed and speechless, the looks on Tom D and WvA 's faces when Pogacar was finishing said it all...

3 years ago

September 20
Bennet was without equal today and gave his green jersey some extra polish.

From Twitter:
1st 🇸🇮 Slovenian to win @LeTour

1st rider to dominate the overall, KOM and Best Young Rider standings in the same edition
1st rookie to win overall since 1983
Youngest winner since 1904

@TamauPogi
wrote history on #TDF2020

View attached image.
3 years ago

Yay! \0/

3 years ago

Since there isn't a Giro thread this year... what an epic last stage we will have tomorrow :O Hindley and Geoghegan Hart have the same time, so the faster will grab the pink jersey - unless Kelderman could beat both of them with at least 1:32 difference (which is very unlikely in a 15 km ITT).

3 years ago

Yeah, it's been quite an amazing cycling season all around. I didn't do a Tour of Flanders event either and man...

Today's Giro stage didn't go as I thought it would (or hoped) but the end result was amazing. I think INEOS is gonna get a grand tour victory yet, this year.

3 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.