Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

In the Shadow of the Moon (2019)

Very good story about a time-travelling serial killer and the detective who's obsessed with that case. Starting in 1988, the story continues every 9 years. The twist is pretty good. Pretty entertaining movie.

3 years ago

There we go, that's more like it! 😄

This is completely unrelated but you just tipped me off what movie I wanted to record retroactively when I saw it was on TV a couple of days ago - but yesterday I just couldn't remember for the life of me 😅

Moonrise Kingdom by Wes Anderson

I quite enjoy his movies from what I've seen so far Life Aquatic, Grand Budapest Hotel, The Royal Tenenbaums & Isle of Dogs and I used to be a scout so this one probably hits close to home for me.

3 years ago

Moonrise Kingdom is so good! But so is everything by Wes Anderson. You need to also watch Fantastic Mr. Fox, Darjeeling Limited, Rushmore and his great short film Castello Cavalcanti, if you ever want just kind of an espresso shot of Wes Anderson. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b87B7zyucgI

3 years ago

I was wrong about the scout thing, since it's Khaki scouts not real scouts, but other than that what a gorgeous movie! And I'm using the word gorgeous very much intentionally instead of great, amazing or awesome.

He really does have a very unique and instantly recognizable way to set up his shots and that's coming from somebody who usually doesn't appreciate that sort of thing.

3 years ago

Overlord (2018)

Not the best, not the worst, but very good (mostly practical) effects and gore, a suspenseful story and definitely better than expected. Very entertaining.

3 years ago

Time Trap (2017)

This movie has no right to be as good as it was! But since I'm a fan of single-location movies and this one pretty much completely happened in a cave, that was a big plus for me already. And I also like movies where time acts different, so since time moved slower in said cave, that was another plus. Very good story, but sadly the ending felt flat. This movie could've been so much more than it was, it definitely had huge potential. Maybe it would've worked better as a show. Still, give this one a watch. It's entertaining.

3 years ago

Sunshine - 7/10

3 years ago

Cléo from 5 to 7 (1962)

A slice-in-the-life movie about a young singer who has to wait from 5pm to 6:30pm to hear the results of a medical test that will possibly confirm a diagnosis of cancer. In that time she thinks about mortality, the idea of leading a meaningful life, self-obsession, how women are perceived in french society and more. Very good movie. Great cinematography.

(I think this just was my first Agnès Varda movie. Any recommendations for the next one?)

3 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

3 years ago

The Lego Batman Movie (2017)

It's not just a good Lego movie, it's also a good Batman movie. Very good story, full of interesting characters, and so entertaining. And of course the CGI is fantastic. So many details on the Lego pieces. Definitely a movie for the whole family. If you ever wanted to see Batman fight against Daleks, King-Kong, Voldemort, Gremlins, Sauron and many more, this is the movie for you!

3 years ago*

Stargate - 7/10

3 years ago

The Man Who Could Cheat Death (1959)

Classic hammer horror movie with a really good story, very good performances. Christopher Lee as a side character. I thought this would be campy, but it wasn't. Pretty creepy atmosphere, too. Great ending! (Forgot to post this yesterday, it seems.)

3 years ago

28 Days Later (2002)

Rewatched this one yesterday. Still so good!

3 years ago

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm: Delivery of Prodigious Bribe to American Regime for Make Benefit Once Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan (2020)

So here it is. The much-talked about second Borat movie. And let me tell you; it's brilliant! It's funny, it's scary, it's emotional, it's heartwarming, it's surprising, it's maddening... Seriously, watch this as soon as you can!

3 years ago

Princess Mononoke. Watched it for an anime challenge.

It was slow burner for me but still interesting and good. Would advise to just go into w/o looking up much about it

3 years ago

The Witches (2020).

I'm very conflicted about this. Knowing it was adapted from a Roald Dahl books make it a bit better, but I still found it a bit weird (in a not-so-positive manner).

3 years ago

Now go back and watch the original version.

3 years ago

I didn't know this was a thing! Thanks. :)

3 years ago

Wait, the remade The Witches? How did I not know about that?

3 years ago

I only heard of the movie because of Anne Hathaway.
Now I'm curious to see what you'll think of the remake - as I learned it's a remake an hour ago. :P

3 years ago

You'll find my review here when I watch the movie. ^^

3 years ago

I'm looking forward to it :)

3 years ago

Suspiria (2018)

I was hesitant to watch this, because I love the original from 1977 so much. It's very cool to see Jessica Harper (who played the main character in the original) in this one. So stylish, great creepy atmosphere. Great performances, especially by Tilda Swinton in multiple roles. Very interesting hearing Tilda Swinton and Chloë Grace Moretz, among a lot of other non-german actors speak german. Great gore. Overall, I'd say it's a very good movie. Especially the last half hour was fantastic. One thing I didn't like about this movie is, that while Suspiria (1977) was full of light and colours, this one is pretty dark most of the time. So all in all, I'd say this was even almost on par with the original. Albeit for different reasons. They don't even feel like the same movie. If you're like me and you're afraid that this is movie is horrible, because you love the original so much (like I do), then let me tell you: It isn't. Watch this. You'll definitely be positively suprised.
Maybe a bit long, though.

3 years ago

The Thief of Bagdad (1940)

Big influence on Aladdin and the Prince of Persia franchise. Filmed in beautiful Technicolor. Great cast. If you loved Aladdin and want to see a live-action movie with a similar atmosphere, watch this one. Great effects, especially the introduction of a revolutionary new thing called Blue Screen. Magnificent story. Definitely one of the best movies of 1940!

3 years ago

The Pale Blue Dot. Carl Sagan. Sure it's short, but i watch it a lot.

3 years ago

Sleepwalk with Me (2012)

Nice little indie-comedy. Kinda forgettable, though. Not much of a story and it wasn't anything more but nice. Semi-autobiographical. Not a bad movie, but also not a very good one.

3 years ago

Greta (2018)

Very good suspense thriller with Chloë Grace Moretz and Isabelle Huppert in the lead roles. Great performances. Takes almost half an hour to get to the suspenseful part, but I mean you need time to build up a movie. But then it's VERY suspenseful. Definitely recommended. If you liked Misery (1990), you will like this one as well.

3 years ago

3 years ago

The Breakfast Club (1985)

Decided to rewatch it after watching the characters analysis by My Little Thought Tree, still as good as the last time, love this movie.

3 years ago

Silver Bullet (1985)

Good werewolf horror movie based on a Stephen King novella. Very nice gore. Great mass-transformation scene. Haven't seen something like that before. Very cool effect. Good story, but nothing really innovative. I'd watch it only for that mass-transformation, though. Pretty entertaining.

3 years ago

Death Proof (2007)

3 years ago

Starship Troopers - 7/10

3 years ago

Tigers Are Not Afraid (2017)

Mexican crime-fantasy horror movie. Great atmosphere and an extremely captivating story with a background in the drug war and human trafficking. Very good performances by a group of child actors. Emotional, hard-hitting scenes about a group of homeless orphans in Mexico. More of a straight up drama with horror and fantasy elements in a kind of urban, criminal setting. Definitely very good! I really should watch more of Issa López' movies if they're as good as this one.

3 years ago

Brothers' Nest (2018)

Australian dark comedy movie. Not really laugh-out-loud funny, but it got its ridiculous bits. Also pretty emotional. The two main characters are brothers and they're played by actual brothers Shane and Clayton Jacobson. Great chemistry between the characters based on that fact alone. The story about two brothers preparing to kill their step-father is also amazing, especially the last ~30 minutes of the movie. Definitely watch this one. It was a positive surprise!

3 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.