Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Sid and Nancy (1986)

British biographical film. Outstanding performance by Gary Oldman as Sid Vicious. The rest of the cast were also pretty good. You just have to watch this movie if you haven't already! It's way better than I expected. Just a fantastic Gary Oldman movie! Highly recommended!

3 years ago

Red Sun (1971)

French-italian-spanish Spaghetti Western film. Fantastic cast (Charles Bronson, Toshirō Mifune, Alain Delon). That alone is the main reason why I watched this movie. I mean these three actors are just so incredibly cool in everything you see them in. Have you seen Le samouraï or Le Cercle Rouge (for Delon), pretty much any Kurosawa movie Mifune was in and Once Upon a Time in the West (for Bronson)? Then you'll know just how epic those three guys in the same movie must be. And Ursula Andress also seems to be a pretty big name, at least if you've watched the James Bond movies. I'm usually not a fan of most westerns, but with a cast like that I was very curious. I love Mifune, every since I've watched my first Kurosawa with Yojimbo. And Charles Bronson and Alain Delon are also legendary actors. This is also the first time I hear Alain Delon and Toshirō Mifune speak english.
Now about the story: It's more than your typical western plot. It's about money and revenge, with lots of gunfights, but also with a subplot about a samurai bodyguard who's trying to recover the sword the antagonist stole from him, because it was a gift from the japanese emperor to american president. So it's a welcome change to your typical western. Good performances, great cinematography and a nice soundtrack.

This might just be one of my favourite westerns of all time. And I think I'm not alone with this sentiment. "John Huston considered this, Red River (1948) and Stagecoach (1939) to be among the three best westerns ever made. " And I've already got Stagecoach planned for this sunday and I'm very excited for it. (Don't know about Red River, but I may watch this too, sometime.)

Overall this surprisingly was a great movie! I knew I'd like the cast, but I just never expected the whole movie to be THIS good. Absolutely go watch this, even if you're like me and don't really like westerns.

3 years ago

Citizen Kane (1941)

American drama film.
Now where do I start? Yes, this is my first watch. Yes, I would've preferred to watch this in a cinema on a huge screen instead of on my comparatively small PC screen.
So... I was a bit afraid that I would be a bit disappointed. After all I had very high expectations. With lots of people saying this is the best movie ever and all that. And surprisingly, my expectations were met. This movie is absolutely fantastic! I can't say anything about it that hasn't already been said. Just... to all the people who say "it can't possibly be this good". Don't be afraid to watch it. Because it really is that good! And to have a movie like this as your debut is simply outstanding. From the technical side it was brilliant as well. The acting and everything is also great. Can't imagine what it would've been like seeing the movie back in 1941.
But personally I can't say that this is the best movie ever. Just because, as you might know, I don't have favourites. But I can definitely see why so many people think this is the best movie of all time. It's an absolute masterpiece! Obviously highly recommended if you haven't seen it yet. Again, it really is that good! It's just a phenomenal piece of work.

Oh, and spoilers: Rosebud was his sled.

3 years ago

Mank (2020)

American biographical drama film. Having just seen Citizen Kane before this, I can say that this is a very good movie. Very interesting story, good performances (especially by Gary Oldman). Beautiful soundtrack by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross from Nine Inch Nails. Definitely worth the watch!

3 years ago

Hellraiser, Hellraiser: Hellbound, Hellraiser: Hell On Earth, Hellraiser: Bloodline, Hellraiser: Inferno, Hellraiser: Hellseeker, Hellraiser: Deader, Hellraiser: Hellworld.

Yes in one sitting I watched all 8 Hellraiser films. Don't judge. lol

3 years ago

Rush (2013)

British-german biographical sports film. Rewatched this one yesterday and it's still really good!

3 years ago

Sounds interesting. I might check that out. I saw that you watched Sid & Nancy a day ago. Was a good film, I watched it a while ago. Tragic story, Sid Vicious and all. But like most punks of that day, died in all their glory.

3 years ago

3 years ago

Stagecoach (1939)

American Western film. It's very good for what it is, especially in the last half hour. I mean that's what this movie is most known for these days. And that's for a reason. The last 30 minutes are definitely the highlight of this movie. I mean look at those stunts. They'd be impressive in 2020 when you can perform them a lot more safely but they're even more impressive in 1939. Good cast, too. The story is interesting too. And John Huston was right again. (If you don't get this, look at my review of Red Sun (1971) a few posts ago.) I'd definitely recommend it, even if you don't like westerns.

3 years ago

Four Rooms - 6/10

3 years ago

Gattaca - 8/10

3 years ago

First Man - 8/10

3 years ago

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)

Chinese-taiwanese wuxia film. When this movie came out (2001 here in Germany) I didn't know about it at all. Because I was 7/8 years old and the only movies I cared about back then were Disney and stuff like that. But then, a few years later, when it was broadcast on free TV I noticed the movie but I always thought it looked so unrealistic. "Look at them, they can jump ridiculously far. So fake!" and stuff like that. Only now I've realized that that's the point. It's supposed to be magical and otherworldly. The characters portrayed in wuxia aren't just people. They're heroic figures. They're supposed to be more than just humans, larger than life. Knowing all this definitely sheds a different light on the movie and makes me appreciate it more.

Beautiful cinematography, fascinating fight coreographies, very good performances. The story is pretty good but it's still definitely secondary to those amazing fight sequences. Overall surprisingly good. This is definitely a great movie! Watch it, if you haven't, even if you were put off by the flying and all that stuff like I was for the last 15 or so years.

3 years ago

Now watch The White Dragon. A comedic take on it. GREAT movie.

3 years ago

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll make sure to put it on my watchlist.

3 years ago

Blade Runner: The Final Cut (2007)
7/10 - The slow pacing puts me off a little. It's my second time watching it, first was a blind one then another one with a commentary track. I don't know what but there's something amazing in it. Will watch it again, for sure

Rat Race (2001)
6/10 - I remember seeing this when I was young (Whoopie Goldberg driving off a cliff, to be specific) so I tried to watch it again. It's alright, It kept me entertained during the movie.

One Cut of the Dead (2017)
9/10 - Fourth time watching it, definitely one of my favourites. It starts off slow and reaaally messy/bizarre since it was done in cut (hence the title). Imo worth watching without looking at any reviews or synopsis.

3 years ago*

Enter (2017)

Dutch sci-fi comedy short film. "A young man who discovers a magical computer. With this computer he can get anything he wants..." Very cool premise, good execution. Very fun and entertaining. (And that "soundtrack", if you wanna call it that, is pretty weird, but also pretty amazing somehow.) At just 8 minutes it's perfect, because who doesn't have 8 minutes to spare? Definitely recommended. It's on YouTube, so here's the link if you want to check it out for yourself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwTbVQc0VBY&t

3 years ago*

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

3 years ago

The Void (2016)

Canadian supernatural horror film. There's some less than great acting in here. Not much, but here and there you notice it a bit. The story is very interesting and most of the awesome effects are practical! This movie has barely any CGI in it, which is rather rare these days. Overall very entertaining and definitely worth the time. Even if you just watch it for the fantastic practical effects, it's pretty good.
This movie has a cult, fantastic body horror, great monster designs, it's definitely inspired by Lovecraft and '80s horror movies like The Thing.
Do yourselves a favour and watch this. Don't let the 5.8 imdb rating put you off this one.

3 years ago

2001: A Space Odyssey - 7/10

3 years ago

Enter the Void (2009)

French english-language experimental drama art film. Less than 10 seconds in you can already see that this probably isn't the movie for you, if you're epileptic. The credits before the movie would already give you a seizure.
This whole movie is what I imagine a trip to be. Don't know if it would be a good trip or a bad trip, but it's... very trippy. This movie is definitely not for everyone. But what an experience!

3 years ago

Monster - 7/10

3 years ago

Orlando (1992)

British period drama film. It's 1603. Queen Elizabeth I. is on her deathbed. She promises the androgynous, young nobleman Orlando a lot of land with a castle built on it, along with a generous monetary gift but the only command she has for him is that he shouldn't grow old. So he doesn't. Centuries pass and one morning in the year 1700 he wakes up as a woman. Her social aquaintances behave towards her like she did towards hers when she was a man. Some scenes are even completely mirrored. The end of the story is set in modern time (aka the 1990s) and she's still young. She didn't wither, just like the queen commanded her 400 years earlier. The most fascinating thing about this is showing our protagonist through the ages but also different people and their relationships with her. And how they change when she's a woman compared to a man. It's truly fascinating. Might even be Tilda Swinton's best movie and that's saying something. Definitely highly recommended! And at just over 90 minutes it's even a bit too short for my taste. This story could've easily been a 3 hour movie and I'd still would've been stuck to the screen.

3 years ago

Central Station (1998) - 8~8.5

3 years ago

Hidden Figures - 8/10

3 years ago

3 years ago

3 years ago

Get Carter 🤙

3 years ago

Now watch the much better original with Michael Caine (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067128/) if you haven't already.

3 years ago

I've been wondering about that. Thanks for the recommendation.

3 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.