Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Looper (2012)

Just rewatched this one. Still very good.

3 years ago

Seems to be a love it or hate it movie. I love it, despite its flaws but man, many people just can't stand it for some reason.
Sure the time travel is bungled but whatever. Scifi is at its best when used to tell human stories and we miss a lot if we just get hung up on details and logic. Good acting (that kid is shockingly good and in the midst of a cast of that caliber, it says a lot), great storytelling and a powerful story about human frailty and redemption. What's not to like?

3 years ago

3 years ago

Blue Ruin - very predictable but also very enjoyable: 8/10

3 years ago

The Great Escape (1963)

American epic war film. Very interesting story, very good performances by a great cast. Based on a true story, but they obviously had a few liberties with the movie. Great movie! Definitely recommended if you haven't watched it already.

3 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

3 years ago

Alien - 9/10

3 years ago

One, Two, Three (1961)

American political comedy. And it's so good! Very funny story, hilarious gags, often because it's about americans and russians in Berlin, so they use a mix of their own native language and german. (For example, I never would've thought I'd ever hear James Cagney say Knackwurscht.) Great performances, above all of course James Cagney in his last major film role. Here and there are even more or less obvious hommages to Cagney's earlier movies. Great directing by Billy Wilder. Very entertaining movie. Overall a fantastic comedy. Great movie!

3 years ago

The Magnificent Ambersons (1942)

American period drama. Great performances, amazing story, highly enjoyable. It's a very good movie. I would've preferred to watch the original version how Orson Welles envisioned (and test-screened) it. The ending wasn't that great. Originally, the movie was about an hour longer and the ending was, according to Welles (and early test audiences) way more powerful. So all in all... the only version of this movie that exists (unless someone finds an original print somewhere) isn't as great as it could be. It definitely feels like something's missing. But it's still very good for what it is.

3 years ago

Barton Fink (1991)

American period black comedy psychological thriller. Definitely the best John Turturro performance I've ever seen. Very good story, cinematography and effects. I don't know why I put off watching this movie for so long. It's very good!

3 years ago

Honestly my favorite Coen movie. I too put it off, mostly because Cannes movies always end in disappointment for me, but I regret not watching it earlier. Turturro is always at his best, even in lousy parts, but with a part like that, he shines like from a distant galaxy.

3 years ago

Money Monster (2016)

American thriller film. Financial TV host Lee Gates and his producer Patty are put in an extreme situation when an irate investor takes them and their crew as hostage. Very intense. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Good performances by a good cast (George Clooney, Julia Roberts, Jack O’Connell, Caitriona Balfe, Giancarlo Esposito and Dominic West as the main cast). Good direction by Jodie Foster. My expectations were pretty much at zero because I forgot why I put this movie on my watchlist. But as it turns out, it was actually very good! Definitely a very gripping movie. I recommend it.

3 years ago*

The Time Traveler's Wife (2009)

American romantic science fiction drama film. Good cinematography. Very good story, that one effect (you'll know which one I mean if you watch the movie) doesn't look that great, but for the purpose of the movie it's alright, I guess. Good performances by a good cast (Rachel McAdams, Eric Bana). All in all it's good enough for what it is, but I've seen better romantic time travelling movies. Namely Midnight in Paris (2011) and About Time (2013), both weirdly enough also with Rachel McAdams, who's the female lead in all three of these movies. Is this like her niche? Romantic time travel stories? But funnily enough, she's never the one that time travels. Well, so if you want to watch a romantic time travel movie starring Rachel McAdams, I'd recommend either Midnight in Paris (if you want some historical figures like Dali or Hemingway in your story) or About Time (if you want some hard-hitting family relationships and an absolutely fantastic Bill Nighy.) This one is worth watching if you want to complete this unintentional trilogy, but apart from that, there are better alternatives.

3 years ago

It's another one of those movies I heard so much about and felt a little underwhelmed by. I was oddly creeped out by it. The whole idea of her meeting him as a girl and, well, him knowing everything about her. Of course she was going to fall in love with him. I found it a bit weird.

About Time, however, is an amazing and very underrated movie. It's so many things from light-hearted and warm to nostalgic and so damn sad. Also features the parents I always wished I had lol

3 years ago

Rope (1948)

American psychological crime thriller film. It's about two young men strangling their former classmate to death, putting his body in an old chest and then they host a small dinner party in the same room. With people very close to the recently murdered like his father and his fiancée. I've talked again and again about how much I like single-location movies and this one goes even further. It doesn't just all happen in a single room, but it's also happening in real time with seemingly no cuts. There obviously were cuts but they were more or less well hidden for the time. Very good performances by a great cast. Gripping story. All around a great movie that's maybe even a bit too underappreciated as a Hitchcock movie. All I can say is I can highly recommend it.

3 years ago

48 Hrs. (1982)

American buddy cop action comedy film. Eddie Murphy and Nick Nolte make a surprisingly good comedy duo. Good performances by both of them and some good action as well as an interesting story, but overall it's not very good. Might be because I'm not really a fan of action movies, but who knows?

3 years ago

Another 48 Hrs. (1990)

American action thriller film. Pretty good for what it is. It's not much, on paper it's only a sequel to the seventh highest-grossing film of 1982, but somehow it's better than it's predecessor in my opinion. Less... silly and definitely more of a story.

3 years ago

3 years ago

Bill & Ted Face the Music (2020)

American science fiction comedy film. It's not a perfect movie. But it doesn't need to be. It's a Bill & Ted movie, it should be silly and predictable and over the top. And it definitely accomplishes that. Doesn't really come close to the first two movies, but did anyone really expect it to? If you're really a fan of the franchise, you'll definitely enjoy this one. Just a very fun movie! There are old characters and new ones and they're all bodacious. All in all there's just one thing left to say. Be excellent to each other. And party on!

3 years ago

Luciérnagas (2020)

Spanish post-apocalyptic short film. Pretty good for what it is.

3 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

3 years ago

Sirene (1968)

Belgian animated short film. Really good and special animation style. Interesting story. It tells surprisingly much for an 8-minute movie. Definitely made me curious for the rest of Raoul Servais's work. I can only recommend this. It's not hard to find, it's pretty short, it's very captivating and it's beautiful. Oh, and the language is only stylized, so you don't even need to speak dutch, french or german to understand everything. Go watch this!

3 years ago

His House (2020)

British horror thriller film. It's actually very good. Definitely better than I expected. Pretty scary, great "monster", if you wanna call them that designs, great effects, very good performances by Wunmi Mosaku and Ṣọpẹ́ Dìrísù as the two main characters. It's almost a single-location movie and you know how much I like those. Definitely recommended. This is gonna win awards. Not at the Oscars of course, because they don't like horror movies, but at other award ceremonies. Go watch this now on Netflix if you want a new, good horror movie with an original story. Yes, there's often stuff on Netflix that's of a lesser quality, but sometimes there are some gems. This is one of them.

3 years ago*

Definitely going to check this one out. Wunmi Mosaku has been on my radar since In the Flesh and the movie looks very different from the usual genre.

Edited: Just finished this one. Wow. We really do carry our ghosts with us, don't we?

Amazing how the horror genre is slowly getting transformed these past few years, with gems like this, into a metaphor for the horrors of the real world. I should say "transformed back" because that's how horror began, really, from books like Frankenstein to early horror movies like Murnau's. It's only a few decades ago the genre turned into soulless gore/SFX-fest with no depth or meaning.

Anyway, it's good to see more and more "smart" horror with complexity.
Speaking of which, If you haven't checked out Lovecraft Country yet, I highly recommend it.

3 years ago*

Antichrist (2009)

Experimental psychological horror film by Lars von Trier. At its core it's about grief. But it's also about graphic genital mutilation. Seriously, this is a tough watch. But also pretty thought provoking. I wouldn't necessarily say it's a good movie, but it's not bad either. Very good performances by Willem Dafoe and Charlotte Gainsbourg.

3 years ago

+1 Antichrist was a FANTASTIC, yet depressing movie. I loved it.

3 years ago

Aliens - 8/10

3 years ago

Multiplicity (1996)

American science fiction comedy film. And it's surprisingly good. Lots of funny gags, great performances by Michael Keaton as Doug and his three clones, all with wildly different personalities. Overall it's nothing outstanding, but it's a fun comedy about cloning that could've easily fallen into oblivion if it wasn't for Keaton's great performances.

3 years ago

Alien³ - 7/10

3 years ago

Watched "American Psycho" yesterday. Honestly, I was underwhelmed. Maybe the book is better? Or I didn't get it?

3 years ago

Didn't like it either. It's one of those movies I heard so much about, I was maybe expecting too much, idk.

3 years ago

It's really more satire than horror. Hyper-capitalism - more specifically Reaganomics, rampant consumerism and yuppie "culture" are its targets. I guess that should be enough horror for anyone, though it's always read as a very dark comedy for me.

3 years ago

I agree.

3 years ago

Watched it many years ago, long before he became Batman. Didn't like the movie and Christian Bale had a lot to do, to make me not think about if I am going to watch a movie, just because he had the main-role.
But: there is also a chance, that I would like it today and I just didn't get it at that time.

3 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.