Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Lego Movie 2. A little to much musical, but still a Lego-Movie you can watch without hesitation.

3 years ago

Alien: Resurrection - 6/10

3 years ago

Punch-Drunk Love (2002)

American black comedy-drama romance film. Good performances, very interesting story. It does have a similar feeling to Uncut Gems (2019), not only because both star Adam Sandler, but they really feel very similar. I really feel like they would make a great double feature. So if you liked Uncut Gems from last year and haven't watched Punch-Drunk Love, I can only recommend it.

3 years ago

Prometheus - 8/10

3 years ago

Ich seh, Ich seh (2014)

Austrian psychological horror film. Pretty good for what it is. Interesting story, good cinematography, good performances.

3 years ago

Do the Right Thing (1989)

American comedy-drama film. A slice-of-life type movie about the everyday life of people in a black neighbourhood in Brooklyn that just... yea... live their life but then suddenly (or not that suddenly if you've paid attention to the movie up to that point; there's simmering racial tension all throughout) it explodes into violence and people end up dead. Fantastic cast, really good performances. But it's sad that this movie is as relevant in 2020 as it was in 1989. Such a powerful movie. Definitely a must-watch!

3 years ago*

+1. EXCELLENT movie.

Also, if you like Spike Lee and you haven't seen it yet, might I recommend Miracle at St. Anna?

3 years ago

Thanks, I just put it on my list.

3 years ago

Another one of these movies that got unreasonably trashed by the critics for you know... being written and directed by Spike Lee basically.

3 years ago

The Stranger (1946)

American film noir. Great cast (Edward G. Robinson, Loretta Young, Orson Welles) who all deliver amazing performances. Very gripping story about about a war crimes investigator (Robinson) tracking a high-ranking Nazi fugitive (Welles) to a small town. Beautiful cinematography. Overall a very good noir and definitely recommended!

3 years ago*

Alien: Covenant - 6/10

3 years ago*

Rififi (1955)

French film noir/crime film. Very good performances. Great story, which makes you wonder... is there really the perfect crime? Because the characters in this movie came pretty close to it. If it wasn't for the human element. Fantastic heist sequence, probably one of the best ones of all time (30+ minutes without dialogue or music and it's extremely thrilling), great ending and good cinematography. This great movie definitely still holds up. Highly recommended!

3 years ago*

Thief (1981)

American neo-noir action thriller film. Interesting story, very good performances by a great cast, amazing cinematography. Recommended! (Forgot to post this yesterday.)

3 years ago

Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom... Really bad movie, but I kind of enjoyed it

3 years ago

Sleeper (1973)

American futuristic science fiction comedy film. Surprisingly good. And Woody Allen's shtick, that weird neurotic, self-deprecating "look at me, I'm so awkward" thing that I disliked so much in Manhattan Murder Mystery... it's a lot less prevalent in this movie and the bit that's in it actually works. Silly slapstick humour. Don't get me wrong, I really like some good slapstick. But this wasn't that. Some of the gags were funny, but most of them fell flat for me. Overall better than I expected.

3 years ago

Pawn Sacrifice (2014)
I don't have anything to say about it.

Stranger than Fiction (2006)
My second time watching it. As fun as I remember.
Also as literature major, I enjoy movies/media about books and writing and fiction a lot.

3 years ago

Sneakers (1992)

American comedy caper film. I was watching this because someone here recommended it to me after I watched Hackers (1995) two weeks ago. And yeah, I can definitely see some similarities. For example, both are at their core about hacking. But while Hackers (1995) was very cheesy and silly this one was more grown-up and serious. Interesting story. What a cast! Robert Redford, Sidney Poitier, Dan Aykroyd, River Phoenix, Ben Kingsley, James Earl Jones. Pretty good performances. Overall it's a pretty good movie, but not really as memorable as Hackers (1995) if you compare the two. Well, this one definitely has a better cast, though.

3 years ago

Mafia Inc. (2019) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6980960/
Italian mobs in Montreal. Good movie for a tight budget.

3 years ago

The Day of the Dolphin (1973)

American science fiction thriller film. Pretty silly premise (dolphins being taught how to speak english but then there are bad guys who want to use that for evil) with a pretty standard story. Apart from the dolphins of course. Overall it's not bad, but not great. But at least it's memorable. I mean how many movies about talking dolphins have you watched?

3 years ago

The Skin I Live In (2011)

Spanish psychological thriller drama film. Very good performances, especially by Antonio Banderas and Elena Anaya, who play the two main characters. Very interesting story about transgenesis, but so much more. Definitely recommended if you haven't seen it yet. Really good movie! (Forgot to post this yesterday.)

3 years ago

First Cow (2019)

American drama film. It starts off rather slowly and keeps on being pretty slow up until almost 1 hour in, but after that it's really entertaining. It definitely feels very realistic. Even if you're not a fan of slow movies, try to get through that first slow part and you'll find out that this is an absolute gem!

3 years ago

Antiviral (2012)

Canadian-French science fiction horror film. Very strong directional debut by Brandon Cronenberg, body-horror master David Cronenberg's son. After I watched Possessor (2020) and really enjoyed the style I knew I just had to watch this one, too. And I definitely wasn't let down. He definitely learned a thing or two from his father. Fantastic performance by Caleb Landry Jones, who plays the main character. Very good story. Definitely recommended. Watching this and Possessor (2020) as a double feature would probably recommended.

3 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

3 years ago

This Sporting Life (1963)

British kitchen sink drama film. Pretty good slice-of-life type story. Good performances. At its core it's about rugby, but it's so much more. I don't know if I can recommend it, though. It's not that... special. It's a good movie, don't get me wrong. But I don't think it's memorable. The only reason I watched this was because of the cast. William Hartnell (first Doctor on Doctor Who, which premiered the same year) and a young Richard Harris (who most of you might know as original and frankly much better Dumbledore in the first two Harry Potter movies).

3 years ago

The Last Laugh (1924) - 8/10

3 years ago

Awakenings (1990)

American drama film. And it's a really good one. Great story. I'll just copy that part from the wiki article, because it's explained better over there than I could do here.
Based on Oliver Sacks's 1973 memoir of the same title. It tells the story of a fictional character, neurologist Dr. Malcolm Sayer, who is based on Sacks and played by Robin Williams. In 1969, he discovered beneficial effects of the drug L-Dopa. He administers it to catatonic patients who had survived the 1917–28 epidemic of encephalitis lethargica. Leonard Lowe (played by Robert de Niro) and the rest of the patients are awakened after decades and have to deal with a new life in a new time. So yeah, fascinating story. Very good cast with Robin Williams and Robert de Niro (who both deliver great performances, especially de Niro). And a surprise Vin Diesel in his film debut. Although you won't recognize him. He has a full head of hair and really doesn't look like himself. I definitely didn't expect this movie to be that good! Recommended!

3 years ago

+1
Have you found your glasses yet?

Also, if you like Robin Williams, and if you haven't seen this gem, watch The Angriest Man In Brooklyn. Robin Williams final film.

3 years ago

That one's already on my list, but still thanks for the recommendation.

3 years ago*

Uncut Gems - 7/10

3 years ago

The Keep (1983)

American horror film. Very interesting story. Good effects. Pretty good cast. I can definitely see why this has become a cult movie. But also why both the director and the author of the book the movie is based on disowned the movie. Since Michael Mann's original cut was 210 minutes long and Paramount didn't allow that it had to be cut down to 96 minutes. But now it has a lot of plot holes, continuity mistakes, very obvious jumps in soundtrack and scenes, and bad editing issues. So it's just a mess and a shadow of what the original vision probably was. Like this the movie is watchable, even pretty interesting. But definitely not as good as it could've been. I doubt that we will ever see the original cut, but if we do, I'll be first in line to see that. I don't know how to describe it. This movie feels exactly like what it is. A relatively small part of something much bigger. It makes you want to watch more. But yeah, like this I can't really recommend it. Sadly.

3 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.