Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

I watched Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla from 1974 last night. I loved it, gonna be watching more of those old Godzilla movies since they're on HBOMax currently.

3 years ago

The Nightingale (2018) Dark & brutal thriller. 8/10

3 years ago

A Concerto Is a Conversation (2020)

American short music documentary film. Kris Bowers, the composer behind Oscar-winning movie Green Book's film score is having a conversation with his 91 year old grandfather about growing up. It's a look into the life of these two men. Very good short, only 13 minutes long (could've been longer) and really fascinating. Definitely give this one a watch. Highly recommended!

3 years ago

Genius Loci (2020)

French animated short film. Very cool animation style. Very dream-like. In fact, the whole short was very dream-like, even abstract at points. The musical score plays really well with that aesthetic, too. Overall not something I can recommend for everyone, because it's very artsy (in the best sense of the word, but still) and definitely not made for the general public. I feel like the only person who really understands it is Adrien Merigeau, who wrote it.

3 years ago

Yes-People (2020)

Icelandic short animated comedy film. It's a very simple story about different people in an apartment building. Very slice-of-life. Good animation. The people are talking, but they're only saying já (yes in icelandic). Good story, pretty fun, very short.

3 years ago

If Anything Happens I Love You (2020)

American 2D animated short film. Yeah, well. I still need to watch Opera (2020) from the animated short film category, but I feel like this one is gonna be the winner. It's sad and painful, yet powerful. Two parents grieving after the loss of their child. Highly recommended. It's just 12 minutes long. If you have Netflix, go watch this!

3 years ago

3 years ago

Godzilla vs. Kong - 5/10

3 years ago

Watched it yesterday, it was awful. Agree with your score

3 years ago

I don't understand the people who think this movie is any good, let alone amazing. It's so mediocre.

3 years ago

only good thing about this movie is cgi :D

3 years ago

True, the boring monsters do look good.

3 years ago

We all have our own likes and dislikes. I didn't like most of the popular movies that everyone else totes as great, like Avatar, the Paranormal Activity and Saw franchises. ETC....

3 years ago

True. You don't really have the best examples for "popular movies that everyone else totes as great" there, though. :D

3 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

3 years ago

Collective (2019)

Romanian documentary film. Very good movie that at it's heart is about the Colectiv nightclub fire in Bucharest in 2015 where 27 people died and 180 were injured. But afterwards 37 more people who survived the fire died in hospitals from wounds that were not life-threatening. Then a doctor blows the whistle to a team of investigative journalists. One revelation leads to another and they starts uncovering a huge health care fraud. Turns out the disinfectants used in those hospitals were diluted like crazy. Then the president of the pharma corporation Hexi Pharma dies in a car crash. Was it just an accident? Or was it a suicide? This documentary is really good! Very gripping docu. Even with real footage of when the fire broke out in the club, the story of a survivor and so much more.
I don't think this one is gonna win Best International Feature Film, but it could win Best Documentary Feature, although the competition in that category is strong as well. Highly recommended, though!

3 years ago

Deadpool 2 - man I rarely watch movies, I need to watch more! But I really enjoyed this one xD

3 years ago

Tenet (2020)

Nothing unusual (or unusual as usual?) from Christopher Nolan; a great movie with amazing production qualities, a deep story, a plot which screws with your mind, great acting moments, etc.. Felt like more stuff were left ambiguous compared to Nolan's past movies. Either I didn't catch them because there was nothing to catch or what Nolan wanted me to get required too much intellect on my behalf, I am not sure. But writing a movie with Tenet's subject has never been a simple job anyway, so it didn't bother me that much, just a bit. Also events of the movie felt a bit rushed at some moments, but it also tries to explain a lot in a 2.5 hour long duration, so it is understandable. A highlight of the movie is Robert Pattinson's quality acting. He continues to prove that he is an actually good actor and his talent was wasted in Twilight Saga. I look forward to seeing his future works.

3 years ago*

A Love Song for Latasha (2019)

American biographical documentary short film. "The injustice surrounding the shooting death of 15-year-old Latasha Harlins at a South Central Los Angeles store became a flashpoint for the city’s 1992 civil uprising." Heartbreaking. And only 19 minutes long. Definitely something you should watch.

3 years ago

Do Not Split (2020)

American-Norwegian documentary short film. This short is one of the reasons that they won't broadcast the Oscars in China this year. Obviously it's about the 2019–2020 Hong Kong protests (#FreeHK). It's a terrific documentary that everyone should watch (and can watch, it's free on Vimeo https://vimeo.com/504381953). Will Anders Hammer and Charlotte Cook win the Oscar in their category for this? I'm not sure if the Academy wants to take that stance. They should, though.

3 years ago*

The Present (2020)

British-Palestinian drama short film. So good. Here's a review of it by imdb user ferguson-6 who was able to describe it better than I could've.

"It may look like the crowd filing out of a sports arena after a big match, but in fact, it's actual footage of an Israeli checkpoint in Palestine along the West Bank. Another big difference ... heavily armed soldiers and cages to detain those while identification is checked.

This is the life writer-director Farah Nabulsi shows us in her 23 minute gem of a short film. She focuses on Yusef (an excellent Saleh Bakri), a man struggling to make ends meet for his wife and young daughter. Today is his wedding anniversary and he agrees to take daughter Yasmine (Miriam Kanj) along on a shopping trip. She witnesses her dad battle severe back pain, as well as the frustrations in dealing with the armed guards at the checkpoint - even as he endures the humiliation of being caged in front of her.

Yusef is a good man and strives to protect his daughter and shield her from the tension and danger - often through humor or a warm embrace. Something as simple as replacing a fridge on the fritz is part of the daily struggle for folks like Yusef. Sometimes it takes the courage and reasonableness of a youngster to highlight the irrational rules that have taken over the world. The film has a grounded, realistic feel, and delivers a sobering message."

Definitely worth the 24 minutes if you can find it.

3 years ago

Ghost in the Shell (1995) - 7/10

3 years ago

Raya and the Last Dragon. And it's very rare that I actually watch movies, so it's really a thing that I did.

3 years ago

Nobody (2021) - Jeeeez 5/10

3 years ago

House of Usher (1960)

American horror film. No, this is not me taking another break from the Oscar nominees again. I've watched all that I was able to. The others are either geo-blocked in Germany or have just not been released yet. So I'm just back to watching movies normally now. And what a movie to start with. Vincent Price starring in a movie by Roger Corman based on a story by Edgar Allan Poe. You just know it's gonna be awesome when you hear these three names. It's not very long, but it's based on a short story, so that's okay. Very good performances by everyone involved, very gripping story. Burt Shonberg's paintings are very creepy and add a lot to the already eerie atmosphere. I can definitely recommend this one!

3 years ago

Thunder Force (2021) -- Promising at the very beginning but ended in a soup without sense and without funny.

3 / 10

3 years ago

Monsters, Inc. -7/10
Monsters University-6/10
Willy's Wonderland-2/10(probably gonna end up being the worst film I watched in 2021)
Nova Lituania-7/10
Louder Than Bombs-7/10(surpringsly idiosyncratic for a drama about grief)
Hiroshima Mon Amour-7/10
Trash-6/10(by the numbers plotting,but the 3 young boys playing the lead roles have great chemistry and display real talent)
Prince of Darkness-6/10(really should be way lower but I kinda dig how this movie by the end turns into Evil Dead. Carpenter always made just B-movie schlock but he so rarely embraced what's fun about it)

3 years ago

Murder by Death (1976)

American comedy mystery film. Rewatched this one yesterday. Still very entertaining. Great cast, really fun concept.

3 years ago

3 years ago

Akira - 8/10

3 years ago

Cold Souls (2009)

American comedy-drama film. Very original idea, but the execution of that idea wasn't great. Could've been a lot better than it was. I really thought this would be more exciting. It has a good cast and everything, but it just fell flat. Can't recommend.

3 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.