Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Three Christs (2017)

American drama film. Taking a little break from watching the Oscar noms again. Based on actual events, this fascinating tale of three paranoid schizophrenic patients who all believe they're Jesus Christ is truly captivating, has a lot of heart and features very good performances by everyone involved. Definitely something I can recommend.

3 years ago

Feeling Through (2020)

American short film. This short is fantastic! A homeless teen meets a deaf-blind man at a bus stop who changes his life forever. And I truly believe he changed my life, too. Great performances by both leads. First film ever to star a DeafBlind actor, Robert Tarango, in a lead role. It's heartwarming, it's beautiful, it's everything. And it's only 18 minutes long. AND it's on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1CqzntEZZ8 There's no excuse for anyone not to watch this. I highly encourage everyone reading this to do so. Do yourselves a favour and watch this, you won't regret it. This is the first of the Oscar nominated short films this year I watched, but I already think it's a huge favourite for the win. It did already win lots of awards at other film festivals.

3 years ago*

Connecting the Dots: The Story of Feeling Through (2019)

American short documentary. I loved the short film so much, I just had to watch the documentary about it, too. Seeing how Robert Tarango, the DeafBlind actor, was cast. That it's based on real events that happened to the director, who even found the actual guy he had those interactions with, 7 years before. Just heartwarming. If you loved the short film as much as I did, you should watch this documentary, too.

3 years ago

Godzilla Vs Kong

Thought it was going to be disappointing but I actually liked it, would give it a 7/10

3 years ago

The Father (2020)

British-french drama film. Fantastic performance by Sir Anthony Hopkins! The Oscar nomination is highly deserved. (And let's be real, he's the favourite for the award anyway. I wish Chadwick Boseman would win, but they're very rarely awarding people posthumously.) So the movie is all about dementia. And you're experiencing the events as if you had dementia yourself. It's not a look from the outside where your point of view is maybe a family member or someone like that, but the person with dementia himself. The main character, Anthony. It's confusing, heartbreaking, sad, terrifying. The movie is great, but I won't rewatch it anytime soon. I don't want to feel like this. I'm afraid of it. That said, you should absolutely watch this one. Just once, though. Highly recommended!

3 years ago

Hillbilly Elegy (2020)

American drama film. Pretty good for what it is. Based on real events. In the end, before and during the credits, there are home video clips and photos of the real people and damn, they look similar to the actors who portrayed them in this movie. Or rather the other way around. Someone's definitely done a great job there. No wonder it got nominated for an Oscar for Best Hair and Makeup. The movie overall is nothing special, just a tale about a family with problems (as if not every family has their own problems), but it's executed well.

3 years ago

Godzilla VS Kong.

Just finished watching this and I Loved every second of it.

Was it perfect? No. But it was still a literal ton of fun.

Wonder if they will be making more of this Godzilla ion the future.

3 years ago

Yeah, I thought it was interesting, the fights were cool-looking, but still mostly just showing off special effects destroying things, haha. Mechagodzilla looked awesome, though. Even though he wasn't controlled by the aliens to conquer Earth and I don't think he was even made of space titanium.

3 years ago

Time (2020)

American documentary film. Very powerful documentary about a guy who's serving a 60-year sentence in prison for a bank robbery and how his wife and kids handle growing up without him and how they fight for his release. The film combines original footage with home videos shot by entrepreneur, abolitionist, author, and mother of six, Fox Rich over the last 18 years. Here's a fitting review by imdb user gortx who found better words about this very good documentary than I ever could.

"Garrett Bradley's artful Documentary about a New Orleans family who's lives are shaped by an armed robbery. Rob and Fox Rich are a young couple in the late 90s whose dreams of having a successful business hits hard times and out of desperation they commit a crime that will define not only their own lives, but, that of their 6 children (Fox was pregnant with twins at the time of sentencing). Bradley's Doc isn't about the crime, so much as its fallout (although issues of disparate jurisprudence for people of color simmers just below the surface throughout and explodes in one startling moment).

Bradley's Direction is quite stylish, without being overly intrusive. The cinematography, editing and music are similarly creative. Her decision to render it all in Black and White isn't always clear, although there are several underlying symbols it can represent. The title "Time" refers to both the basic notion of "doing Time" in prison, but, more evocatively here, the sense of how time effects the bonds of a family, particularly the children, some of whom don't remember a father outside of prison. TIME is a remarkable Documentary feature debut which shows how to put a poetic overlay over an all too familiar story."

It's definitely worth the watch.

3 years ago

Over the Moon (2020)

American-Chinese computer-animated musical family fantasy film. Good animation, the food especially looks really good. The movie itself started out okay, but it got better later. Really good to teach kids about loss, grief and family. Not great for everyone else, but still good for what it is.

3 years ago

Better Days (2019)

Chinese romantic crime film. Very good performances, especially by Zhou Dongyu, who played the lead character. Hard-hitting story about mobbing. Don't wanna spoil too much. Just watch it. It's gonna be well worth your time. Recommended!

3 years ago

King Kong VS Godzilla (1962)

Hilariously brilliant.

3 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

3 years ago

Godzilla vs. Kong (2021)

American monster film. Once again I'm taking a little break from watching the Oscar noms to watch this one. The fights are very good, the plot is pretty basic. Godzilla and King Kong fight and whoops, someobody made a Mechagodzilla that unexpectedly starts to go wild. Now they have to unite to destroy it. But they only start working together in the last 15 minutes or so. You'd probably get more out of just watching that last fight than wasting your time on the rest of the movie. The human story is not very good either. Overall it's okay. At least I personally didn't feel like I totally wasted those 113 minutes, but it's definitely not a movie I'll rewatch. The only good character is the little deaf-mute girl. I'd actually recommend King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962) over this one, because that's a better movie.

3 years ago

Da 5 Bloods (2020)

American war drama film. Rewatched this one yesterday. It's still so good! Really good performances (Delroy Lindo got snubbed) by a very good cast, gripping story, very powerful. Definitely recommended!

3 years ago

Colette (2020)

American documentary short film. Heartbreaking documentary about a 90 year old french resistance fighter who visited the concentration camp where her brother was murdered 74 years earlier. Definitely deserves the Oscar nomination. Watch it for yourselves, it's on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7uBf1gD6JY

3 years ago

The United States vs. Billie Holiday (2021)

American biographical film. Billie Holiday was such an interesting personality. It's a shame how she was treated. One of the most jarring things was that half a minute into the movie there's a photo of a group of smiling men that says "In 1937 a bill to finally ban the lynching of African-Americans was considered by the Senate" and then it pans down and you see a burnt corpse and "It did not pass." fades in. And after the movie's over you can see something similar, this time on a simple black background. "In February 2020, the Emmett Till Anti-Lynching Act was considered by the Senate." Followed by "It has yet to pass." That's unbelievable.
Great performance by Andra Day. That Best Lead Actress nomination for her at the Oscars is well deserved. Definitely go watch this one!

3 years ago

The Mole Agent (2020)

Chilean documentary film. Very well made. Very moving. It's about an 83 year old man who goes to live in a nursing home for 3 months as an undercover spy because someone's daughter suspects the nursing home staff to treat her mother badly. Not my favourite documentary of the year. I feel like this could've worked better as a normal movie than as a docu. And I would've rather seen Dick Johnson is Dead (2020) being nominated for Best Documentary Feature over this one. Can still recommend it, especially if you got relatives in nursing homes.

3 years ago

A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon (2019)

British stop motion animated science fiction comedy film. There are references to lots of other sci-fi. Stuff that a young kid definitely wouldn't get. But at least as an adult you'll have fun seeing references to Alien, 2001, E.T., Doctor Who, Close Encounters of the Third Kind and many more. Hand-animated, so that's cool. But the movie itself is definitely more for young kids. I appreciate the nods at some sci-fi classics, but yeah. This one is definitely the backmarker in this year's Academy Award for Best Animated Feature race. I don't even know why it was nominated. There have definitely been enough submissions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_submissions_for_the_Academy_Award_for_Best_Animated_Feature#2020

3 years ago

Quo Vadis, Aida? (2020)

Bosnian war drama film. Stunning performance by Jasna Đuričić, who absolutely should've been nominated for Best Actress for this. Great, powerful movie about the Srebrenica genocide that happened 25 years ago. Definitely a must-see!

3 years ago

I visited Srebrenica some years ago. There was one tractor factory nearby that was repurposed to mince and grind Muslim people into a meaty sludge so it would be easier to dispose of them that way.

3 years ago

Mulan (2020)

American fantasy adventure drama film. I really tried looking at this with an unbiased mind. But Mulan (1998) was the first movie I ever saw at a cinema so it holds a special place in my heart. So, let's talk about this movie. It looks very good. Great cinematography, costumes, visual effects... that's why it got nominated for Oscars in those last two categories. Good cast as well. And even the plot is alright. Overall it's not a bad movie, but the animated one is a lot better. I can't recommend it.

3 years ago

Yeah, I wasn't really a fan of this one, they took the music out of it, when the music was (imo) one of the most important parts of why the animated one was so good. I did enjoy the goofy over-the-top classic Chinese action scenes though.

3 years ago

Yeah, definitely. The wuxia-style action was good.

3 years ago

Concrete Cowboy (2020)

American Western drama film. Taking a little break from the Oscar noms again. The performances are very good, especially Caleb McLaughlin. Idris Elba? I don't know. You can hear that he's from London. I get that he plays Caleb McLaughlin's character's father believable, but yeah... And don't get me wrong. Idris Elba is a great actor! I really loved him in Luther. But there he plays a London detective. Here he's portraying a Philadelphia cowboy. Wouldn't have cast him, to be honest. The rest of the cast fits a lot better, especially the actual Fletcher Street Riders who were part of the cast. The movie has an inspiring message and shows a really interesting culture that I would've never known about if it wasn't for this movie. The last third of the movie was the best, the beginning was pretty slow and it took a while until the movie really started, I felt like. Overall it's pretty good for what it is.

3 years ago

Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga (2020)

American musical comedy film. Rewatched this one yesterday and I forgot how good this is. Pretty sure it's gonna win the only category it's nominated at for this year's Oscars. Best Song. Definitely a movie I can recommend if you're looking for something entertaining and funny.

3 years ago

Two Distant Strangers (2020)

American short science-fiction drama film. Very good short film about a guy who is trying to get home to walk his dog after spending the night with a date but gets killed by a cop and then wakes up in his date's bed again. Now he's stuck in a timeloop. Nothing he does to alter the events changes the outcome. He's always getting killed by the cop. It's an important and very powerful short with moving commentary on racial injustice and police brutality. So if you've got half an hour, you should absolutely watch this.

3 years ago

The Letter Room (2020)

American short drama film. Pretty good short film about a corrections officer who's transferred to the letter room where he has to censor letters for the inmates. Good performances, very entertaining. Could've been longer.

3 years ago

Burrow (2020)

American 2D animated short film. It's a cute animated short about a rabbit who wants to build a burrow. I guess it's supposed to teach kids that working together is better but apart from that it's nothing special. The animation is very good, it's kind of a Winnie the Pooh style. Like right out of an old storybook. But I really hope this won't win Best Animated Short at the Oscars just because it's from Pixar. I'm still mad that Bao won two years ago when One Small Step was so much better. Last year's nominees where all great but darker, not something like this. Haven't seen the other nominees for this year yet, but from the looks of it they're all a bit deeper than this one. So yeah, I can't recommend this. Not a fan.

3 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.