Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Wolfwalkers (2020)

The unofficial third movie in the Irish folklore trilogy (The Secret of Kells, Song of the Sea and this one), is an amazing piece of work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_Z_tybgPgg

The three movies are unrelated and can be seen in any order, but the themes and the style are somewhat the same and very different. Highly recommended.

I'm so glad that 2D animation is alive and in good health. Cartoon Saloon... Chapeau!

3 years ago

+1

I saw Wolfwalkers and it was an awesome movie! I really enjoyed the style of animation and the folklore. I didn't know that there are more movies like that, thank you for the post. I'll definitely watch those when I'll find the time :)

View attached image.
3 years ago

Great!

Yeah, those are awesome movies too. I think that Wolfwalkers might be the best of the bunch, but the others are highly recommended too.

Please tell me what you think of the movies if you watch them (if you are in the mood, obviously :))

3 years ago

Sure thing! The artstyle is really unique and catchy, I'd love to watch both movies today if I had the time and didn't have to prepare for exams. From the trailer on youtube both movies look like I'd really enjoy them too, so no problem with finding the right mood hehe^^

I wish I knew some more movies with not-typical-cartoonish/anime style so I could recommend them to you. The only movies that pop in my mind when talking about "cartoonish/anime movies that caught my interest and I'll remember them for a really long time" are Koe no Katachi, Patema Inverted and obviously Wolfwalkers. :D (Somebody did an awesome AMV for Patema https://youtu.be/Hv_w6EIUKb0 I wonder why I always find stuff to watch though AMVs.)

3 years ago

I've heard about Koe no Katachi, but didn't know Patema. Seems interesting, I will search those.

If you like that style, I highly recommend the work of Satoshi Kon (Tokyo Godfathers, Millenium Actress, Paprika and Perfect Blue) and Mamoru Hosoda (Mirai, Wolf Children, etc)

3 years ago

Yeah, watched Wolfwalkers for the Oscars and it's amazing. Been looking forward to the other two ever since.

3 years ago

Four Brothers

3 years ago

The Lovebirds (2020)

American romantic comedy film. Not as bad as it sounds. Good cast (Kumail Nanjiani and Issa Rae), entertaining story with murder, cultists, crooked cops, and much more. If you're looking for a movie where you can shut off your brain, watch this.

3 years ago

I Origins and now I'm remaking my whole profile themed about one of the actors :)

3 years ago

Yesterday I saw Godzilla vs. Kong in the autocinema. I had never been to one before and honestly I didn't like it very much. But it was an awesome movie tho.

3 years ago

Who's Harry Crumb? (1989)

American comedy-mystery film. It's always a treasure seeing a movie with John Candy I haven't seen yet, even if it's not a masterpiece. And yeah, it's not. But it's pretty good. It's not the best movie John Candy has ever made (not even the best one he made in 1989, that would be Uncle Buck), but it's definitely funny and highly entertaining and John Candy is great in it, so if you haven't seen it yet, definitely do so.

3 years ago*

Alien (1979)

American-british science fiction horror film. On my birthday I'm always watching something great where I'm pretty sure I will love it. Last year that was Oldboy (2003), this year I'm starting this franchise. I know, shame on me for not having watched it already, but yeah, that's why I watched it now. So... what can I say that hasn't already been said? It's a great movie, maybe the best of its kind. And so incredibly iconic. Can't wait to watch the other movies from that franchise over the next few days.

3 years ago

• It's a great movie, maybe the best of its kind.*

Curious, do you still feel this way? If not, what have you watched that changed your opinion?

7 months ago

I probably wouldn't phrase it with an absolute anymore, but there's a reason it's still highly reviewed, even over 40 years later.

7 months ago

Interesting, what has replaced it in your mind?

7 months ago

I watch too many movies to really have favourites.

7 months ago

Fair, you do watch a lot!

7 months ago

Aliens (1986)

American science fiction action film. This is a bit different to the first one (less horror, more action), but quality-wise I feel like they're pretty much on the same level. But yeah, what can I say about this one that hasn't been said?

3 years ago

Yeah, I have a genuinely hard time deciding which one I prefer, it's all about my mood. I do think ALIENS had a bigger impact on our culture at large though,especially in how military SF changed in literature,film, and especially video games and tabletop games.

7 months ago

Alien 3 (1992)

American science fiction horror film. Well, it's definitely not as great as the first two, but it's still good. If it was released into a world without Alien and Aliens, AlienΒ³ would be very good, albeit missing backstory. (And the title would be weird for an original movie. :P) But yeah. The story is interesting, from a technical standpoint the movie is good. It looks very good, the creature designs are great, the overall soundscape is very fitting. So if you heard that only the first two installments of the Alien franchise are worth watching, think again. Because while nowhere close to those, this one is still pretty enjoyable for what it is.

3 years ago

STILL better than Alien Resurrection.

Hell, even Prometheus was better than that.

3 years ago

I will see how bad it is tomorrow. :D

3 years ago

House Of 1000 Corpses
Rob Zombie makes his debut behind the camera and shows off his skills. The film is about a group of people traveling the country to see roadside attractions and write about them. They find trouble when their car breaks down and ask for help from a family who wont let them leave alive. I enjoyed this movie and really enjoyer Captain Spaulding

3 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

3 years ago

Alien: Resurrection (1997)

American science fiction horror film. Well... the acting isn't great, the characters aren't very fleshed out, the story isn't very good. The only good things are the scene where Ripley 8 finds her previous iterations, the fact that the alien effects are pretty sick in this one and the hybrid that's fucking terrifying. But those things alone can't make this a good movie. I can't even really see this movie as an Alien movie. It's similar to the Alien franchise, but it's more on Alien vs Predator level (which btw I have seen ages ago, weirdly enough). So overall... it's a decent popcorn flick, but nothing more.

3 years ago

I tried to warn you.

3 years ago

I actually liked this one better than A3, mostly because of the interactions between Ron Perlman, Sigourney Weaver, and Winona Ryder, but I can totally appreciate your viewpoint on it overall.

However I will always love Brad Dourif in anything he does.

7 months ago

Yeah, 2 years later I of course don't remember every detail anymore, just the good stuff and I forgot the bad. :D

Brad Dourif is amazing, though.

7 months ago

I definitely re-watch 3 and A:R the least of the original films, but I do think they're still worth it sometimes.

7 months ago

Braindead/Dead Alive (1992)

New Zealand zombie comedy film. Well... so my brother got me a cook book about "Hollywood food" for my birthday. One of the recipes was the custard from this movie. On the photo next to the recipe there was an ear in the custard, so everyone was intrigued. And when I wanted to show them that scene on youtube I came across the full, uncut movie (in german). So we watched that yesterday. Rewatch for me, for everyone else it was a first time. Still very fun and hilariously over-the-top. Gotta love all the practical effects.

3 years ago

GREAT movie.

Have you seen Tombs of the Blind Dead and it's sequels yet? Awesome quartet.

3 years ago

I actually have. Like 10 years ago.

3 years ago

Prometheus (2012)

American-british science fiction horror film. Okay, so... this is actually pretty good. Would be better as a standalone movie, though. It's not great and doesn't really feel Alien, but for what it is, it's good. Definitely looks nice.

3 years ago

3 years ago

3 years ago

Nobody - 6/10

3 years ago

Alien: Covenant (2017)

American science fiction horror film. I don't know, it's just not very good. Feels very predictable. Nothing really surprised me. Pretty disappointing if you ask me. Looks nice, though. But yeah, now that I finally watched the Alien movies, I can say that I'm definitely a fan of the first three (mostly of the first two) but if I could choose one I'd actually go with the original. I did miss Ripley from those last two movies. Yes, they're prequels, so of course she wasn't in those, but for me, Ripley makes Alien. So even Alien: Resurrection was ok. Prometheus and now Alien: Covenant are good for what they are, but for me they're only Alien-adjacent.

3 years ago

3 years ago

I love Wes Anderson films.

View attached image.
3 years ago

Polar - 5/10

3 years ago

Psycho Goreman (2020)

Canadian science fantasy horror-comedy film. This was the most fun movie I've watched this year so far. Definitely a future cult classic. I feel like you either love this one or you hate it. It's hilarious, campy, has great VFX. It doesn't take itself too seriously and knows what it's capable of and all that makes it extremely fun. Highly recommended!

3 years ago

Bio-Cop (2012)

Canadian horror-comedy short film/fake trailer. From the same director as Psycho Goreman and it's very similar. Super gorey, super hilarious.

3 years ago

Other Side of the Box (2018)

American horror short film. Extremely suspenseful short. Very creepy. And it's very good. Only 15 minutes long (could be longer), but I can definitely recommend it!

3 years ago

Limitless (2011)
"With the help of a mysterious pill that enables the user to access 100% of his brain abilities, a struggling writer becomes a financial wizard, but it also puts him in a new world with lots of dangers."

Bradley Cooper, Abbie Cornish, Robert De Niro

3 years ago*

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.