Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Double Feature ; )

Chaos Walking (2021) - nicely done SciFi flick, sadly the plot & story are on the weaker side..
Voyagers (2021) - another SciFi story, here the plot is thick but unfortunately the movie never seems to live up to it : /

2 years ago

His House - 5/10

2 years ago

The Heartbreak Kid (1972)

American romantic comedy film. Not a huge fan of this one. Charles Grodin was very good in it, but the movie as a whole is just "guy marries woman and meets the perfect girl a few days into their honeymoon". It's not really bad, but definitely not my favourite Charles Grodin movie.

2 years ago

Crash - 8/10

2 years ago

Go - 8/10

2 years ago

11 Harrowhouse (1974)

British comedy thriller film. It's about a pretty big diamond heist. Very good cast (Charles Grodin, James Mason and more), good plot. Overall it's decent, but not very good.

2 years ago

Possessor - 7/10

2 years ago

Real Life (1979)

American comedy film. It's spoofing an early 70s reality television program but even without ever having heard of it this movie worked for me. It's very funny, the performances are good, especially Charles Grodin was a lot better than in the older movies I saw of him earlier this week. So yeah, definitely check this one out!

2 years ago

The Witch (or VVitch if you prefer) (2015)

Haven't watched a horror movie by myself in years and I expected to get scared and switch it off after 10 minutes, but honestly, I couldn't look away. Short, simple, and effective, with haunting yet beautiful imagery and an ending where you forget about being scared and just sit and stare at the screen.

2 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

2 years ago

Army of the Dead (2021)

Movie was actually pretty good. A fun and mindless action movie with a bit of a heist thrown in,

7/10

2 years ago

Split (2016)

American psychological horror thriller film. Rewatched this one yesterday. Still very good and James McAvoy's performances were great! Highly recommended if you haven't seen it yet.

2 years ago

While We're Young (2014)

American comedy-drama film. Watched this noon. It's surprisingly good. It's about a documentary filmmaker and his wife (played by Ben Stiller and Naomi Watts) who are both in their 40s. They develop a friendship with a couple in their 20s (played by Adam Driver and Amanda Seyfried) who bring a new perspective on life into their lives. Great cast (also including Charles Grodin as Naomi Watts' character's father, a respected documentary filmmaker himself, Peter Yarrow from Peter, Paul and Mary, Adam Horovitz from the Beastie Boys, Peter Bogdanovich, Dree Hemingway (yes, she is Ernest Hemingway's great-granddaugther) and many more.) It's a Noah Baumbach movie and you feel that it is. It's definitely his style so if you like it you'll like this movie but if you don't, you also won't like this movie. Personally, I think it's pretty good for what it is.

2 years ago

Clifford (1994)

American slapstick black comedy film. Just watched this right now. Yes, this is the movie where Martin Short plays a 10-year-old boy. It's really easy to find his character annoying. Or hilarious. I think he's a bit of both. The sets are pretty bad, especially the Dinosaur World one. The story is not great, either. Overall it's not a very good movie, but it's definitely still okay. Even just to see Charles Grodin again. And that's the great thing about him. Even if the movie isn't great, he always delivered great performances and he definitely shines in this one, too.
He will be sorely missed, he truly was a legend and if you haven't heard of him or seen a lot of his movies you should really check out more of them.

2 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

2 years ago

Palm Springs - 7/10

2 years ago

20000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954)

American science fiction-adventure film. I mean, I don't think there are people who never heard of Jules Verne and his books. So I feel like I don't really have to explain what this movie is about. The story is what it is. The underwater cinematography is great for the time (the cinematography in general is very good in this movie), the visual effects are very good too. The score is also really good. Very good performances by a great cast (Kirk Douglas, James Mason, Peter Lorre and more). And, though being uncredited for the role, this was Charles Grodin's very first movie.

2 years ago

An Imperfect Murder/The Private Life of a Modern Woman (2017)

American drama thriller film. To be honest... it's bad. It's only 71 minutes long and it feels like there's so much missing. And the parts that were there mostly weren't very good. The only good thing about this movie is the scene with Charles Grodin who plays the main character's grandfather who has Alzheimer's and forgets things while he's talking to his daughter and granddaughter. Performed very well by the great Charles Grodin. He really shines even in the worst movies. What an actor. I wouldn't mind if the movie was just those 10 minutes with him. If someone's uploaded only those 10 minutes to Youtube, you should check them out, because they're nice. But forget the rest of the movie. It's just about some woman (I think she was supposed to be an actress) accidentally shooting and killing her ex and later disposing of his body in a lake. Then she's talking to some random friend of her, later on there's a detective coming into her apartment who also wants to talk (he's played by Alec Baldwin) and after those nice 10 minutes with her grandfather some old aquaintance/school friend of her grandfather also talks to her a bit. That's all there is in this movie. Woman talks to multiple people, shoots her ex and a nice scene with her grandfather. Seriously, don't waste your time. And, although it's pretty bad (apart from the part he was in), this was Charles Grodin's very last movie.

2 years ago

The Grand Budapest Hotel - 7/10

2 years ago

I watched Brokeback Mountain (2005), and it was pretty great. I'll give it an 8/10, could even be a 9.

2 years ago*

Army of the Dead (2021)

American zombie heist film. It's better than I expected. Some good action, cool stunt work and VFX, the story was also fine, not great, but overall entertaining. I like intelligent zombies and these are definitely very intelligent, especially socially. They're not just stupid killing machines, they actually have a hierarchy. They even care about each other. Would love to see a prequel about that main zombie, though. More than I'd want to see Army of the Dead 2, if they ever make that. And it's nice to see a german actor in a mayor hollywood blockbuster, even if it's just Matthias fucking Schweighöfer.

2 years ago

American Splendor - 8/10

2 years ago

The Mitchells vs the Machines (2021)
The story was okay, not really amazing but it was quite modern and I had some good laughs on some jokes. The visuals were amazing. This is the second movie which I fell in love with its visual design actually. (the first one was Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse and it makes sense as they both have the same producers). A must watch for animation lovers.

Army of the Dead (2021)
Didn't expect it to have a good story, not surprised. Lots of cliches in it. Great visuals & CGI though. If you're just looking for some nice gory fun you can watch it.

2 years ago

Drácula (1931)

American spanish-language horror film. Yes, while Tod Browing was making his iconic Dracula (1931), George Melford made a spanish-language version on the same sets at night after the other crew was done shooting for the day. The actors were obviously not the same ones. For example in this one we have the great Lupita Tovar (who passed away in 2016 at the age of 106) in the role equivalent to the ones Helen Chandler played in the english-language version. Carlos Villarias plays Count Dracula (or Conde Drácula), the role that was obviously played by Bela Lugosi in the other version. In a technical sense it's actually superior to the more well-known Dracula that was made at the same time. It has better camera work for example. This one is about half an hour longer. All in all I'd say they're actually almost on par. It feels a lot like a déjà vu. I mean it's basically the same movie, just in a different language and with different actors. The rest is the same. Often shot for shot, word for word. I feel like I've already seen it and in a way I have (having watched the english Dracula (1931) in 2018) but on the other hand it's not the same. It's a really weird feeling. Regardless of everything I can still recommend this movie. No matter if you've seen the other one or not.
Oh, and I didn't just randomly watch this. I found out that today is Dracula Day (because the novel was released on the 26th of May 1897), so I googled if this movie was available to watch online anywhere (I've been meaning to watch it since I've watched the english version) and I found it on youtube.

2 years ago

Fruitvale Station - 7/10

2 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.