Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

free guy, ok movie for when you just want to turn off your brain

2 years ago

Goin' South (1978)

American western-comedy film. Great cast (Jack Nicholson (who also directed this) in the lead role, Mary Steenburgen in her debut, Christopher Lloyd, John Belushi, Danny DeVito and more). Interesting plot, but nothing outstanding. The movie's a bit over-the-top at some points but it knows it. Overall a good movie.

2 years ago

Halloween Kills - 5/10

2 years ago

MirrorMask (2005)

American-british fantasy film. Written by Neil Gaiman from a story he and Dave McKean (the director of this movie) developed together. And it's very whimsical and bizzare. Not the greatest CGI but a lot of it. Interesting story, good cast, but overall sadly underwatched and pretty obscure for a movie that's only 16 years old. It probably was just too weird for the general public. But if you like weird I can recommend this movie.

2 years ago*

Time Trap (2017)

A professor enters a cave and goes missing. Some of his students come looking for him and get trapped in the cave as well.

Despite the hokey and generic sounding story, it was actually a really good movie. 8/10

2 years ago

Dune

Saw it last week as it opened in theatres here almost 2 weeks before the US (for once!)
I was worried about this one because I love the books and Lynch's movie was... uh... lacking severely in some areas (okay, in all areas) but it turned out just perfect. Not a huge fan of Villeneuve usually with some exceptions but he knocks this one out of the park.
Everything is just as it should be and I think it will satisfy anyone, whether they have read the books or not, who is looking for a complex scifi story with soul and a gorgeous setting.

Of course now I'm reading that WB is threatening to pull the plug on the sequel if the movie doesn't do well enough on HBO Max soooo if you have HBO Max, just watch it please. ;)

2 years ago

I love Lynch's movie - not so much because it's a good version of Dune (it isn't), but because it's Lynch's version of Dune. I'm looking forward to this one, in spite of the fact that every movie HBO has put out this year has been utter crap - it's the only reason we have kept our sub, in fact. Villeneuve's Incendies is outstanding, btw, if not the kind of movie people associate him with these days.

2 years ago

Incendies is definitely one I had in mind when I mentioned exceptions. It's a gem that remains mostly underrated by the audience at large and I'm also pretty sure most people who watch his movies since Bladerunner haven't seen, unfortunately.

I love Lynch's movie - not so much because it's a good version of Dune (it isn't), but because it's Lynch's version of Dune.

The director's cut at least. The theatrical version was butchered by the studio. But hey it definitely was better than the mini series they made a couple of decades ago so I feel you.

2 years ago

Just now, Psycho Goreman. It's extremely funny and messed up.

2 years ago

Joker (2019)

American psychological thriller film. Rewatched this yesterday. It's better than on the first watch, but still not a great movie. Joaquin Phoenix' performance is still outstanding though and I'm happy that between the first time I watched this and the second time he got tons of well deserved awards for it, including the Oscar.

2 years ago

Saint Maud (2019)

British psychological horror film. Yeah, so it starts off pretty slow but the second half gets a lot more interesting. Pretty good for what it is.

2 years ago

2 years ago

Free guy 1 month ago

2 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

2 years ago

Finally got around to watching the Red Dawn and Total Recall reboots. Yeah... not so much. 😐

2 years ago

Mister Roberts (1955)

American comedy-drama film. Fantastic cast (Henry Fonda, Jack Lemmon, James Cagney, William Powell, Betsy Palmer and more). Very interesting story, adapted from a hit stage play (and you kinda see it). Not a great movie but still enjoyable.

2 years ago

Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero - 6/10

2 years ago

Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988)

American science fiction horror comedy film. So this is a movie about aliens landing on earth but they look like huge, terrifying clowns. It's cheesy, crazy and super fun. Surprisingly good effects for what it is. So if you've got a phobia of clowns maybe skip this one, but if you don't, definitely check this out! It's so entertaining!

2 years ago

+1. GREAT movie. Now look for Morons From Outer Space.

2 years ago

Compulsion (1959)

American crime drama film. It's a lot like Rope (1948) considering they were both based on the Leopold and Loeb murder case where two rich students kidnap and kill a boy because they believed that they could pull off the "perfect crime" and not get caught. Well, they did get caught and they were both sentenced to life imprisonment plus 99 years. But that's not what this movie is about. It's about the two guy shortly after they commited the murder and are now trying to not get caught, because the "perfect crime" isn't as easy to pull off as they thought, despite their "superior intellect". Very good cast delivering great performances, especially Dean Stockwell, Bradford Dillman and Orson Welles (and apparently the people at the Cannes Film Festival that year thought so as well, because were these three were given a special three-way acting award) but overall I gotta say I like Rope (1948) a bit more. Together, these two movies might certainly make for a fascinating double feature.

2 years ago

The Lighthouse - 7/10

2 years ago

Bloodbath at the House of Death (1984)

British comedy horror film. I didn't expect this to be very scary, but even for a horror comedy it's silly. Doesn't make it bad, though. I kinda like all the gags, even though a lot of them are quite obvious. Throughout watching this movie I came to the conclusion that this is pretty much what the Scary Movie franchise would be decades later. But if it was parodying some kind of Hammer haunted house horror from the 50s instead. Pretty sure it actually influenced Scary Movie a bit, considering this movie also has a ghost sex scene. Lots of references to (back then surprisingly recently) movies like Shining, Alien, Star Wars E.T. etc. That's like if we'd have a movie like this coming out in 2021 referencing movies like Get Out, Hush, It Follows or Midsommar. So yeah, I do like this quite a bit, probably more than the Scary Movie movies. And this one has Vincent Price in it, so that's a big plus. Overall, this is not a masterpiece but it's also not trying to be one. And it's very entertaining. Definitely way more fun than I expected. Highly recommended!

2 years ago

Tales from the Hood (1995)

American horror comedy drama anthology film. Of course, like with all anthology movies, some segments here are better than others. But they're all still creepy and entertaining. And the overarching story linking these stories together is also very good. Especially the ending. Damn, didn't expect that. Good performances by pretty much everyone, but Clarence Williams III definitely stood out. Overall I can recommend this one.

2 years ago*

Tales from the Hood 2 (2018)

American horror-comedy anthology film. I mean Keith David as the story teller isn't quite as iconic as Clarence Williams III, but still very good. The segments are not quite as good as the ones in the original, apart from the last one. And the surrounding story is pretty trashy, despite Keith David's performance. I mean the main antagonist is called Dumass Beach. Yes, exactly. Dumbass Bitch. Overall definitely not as good as the original. Okay popcorn movie but that's about it.

2 years ago

Tales from the Hood 3 (2020)

American horror-comedy anthology film. So this one has Tony Todd in it, which already makes it better than the second one. But while the second movie was still entertaining, this one's just kinda boring. Cheap effects, cheap scares, nothing outstanding at all. They must've spent most of their budget on Tony Todd. So for the whole franchise my recommendation is: Watch the original, but don't expect a masterpiece. And just skip the rest.

2 years ago

Uncle Peckerhead (2020)

American comedy-horror film. It's about an up-and-coming punk band going on their first tour. Problem is, they don't have a van to drive to the gigs. So when some old guy offers they can use his van if he's allowed to roadie for them, they're sceptical at first but after a bit of consideration they're up for it. The only problem is that every night at midnight the old guy transforms into a cannibalistic monster. Very fun movie, definitely better than I expected. The ending felt a bit rushed, though. But overall I think I can recommend this one. It's funny and gorey and has loveable characters. Check it out if you can!

2 years ago

I've been meaning to watch that. I have it on a list. Along with Bong of the Living Dead.

2 years ago

The VVitch: A New-England Folktale - 8/10

2 years ago

Blood Red Sky (2021)

German-british action horror film. Rewatched this yesterday. Still very good.

2 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.