Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Le Doulos (1962)

French-italian crime film. A black screen. No music. A white text appears.

"Doulos" means "hat" in slang.
But in the secret language of the police and criminals "Doulos" is the name given to someone who wears one...
A police informant.

That's how the movie starts. And that perfectly sets the mood. Very good for what it is, good cast including Jean-Paul Belmondo of course. Interesting story. Martin Scorsese's favourite gangster movie. And while I personally don't think that, I can certainly see where he's coming from. Can recommend.

2 years ago

Ronin 👍

2 years ago

2 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

2 years ago

Justice Society: World War II - 6/10

2 years ago

I need to see that.

2 years ago

make sure you do :D

2 years ago

The Death of Dick Long

Black comedy that isn't very funny, but still entertaining.

2 years ago

Pierrot le Fou (1965)

French-italian drama film. Very good movie. Model example of Nouvelle Vague, the French New Wave. If you want to get into movies like this, it's definitely one of the first ones to check out. After Breathless (1960) and Cléo from 5 to 7 (1962) maybe. The story is really interesting, but it's even more about what the movie makes you feel. Overall definitely something I can recommend. One of Jean-Paul Belmondo's best.

2 years ago

Trollhunter (2010)

Norwegian dark fantasy thriller film. Rewatched this yesterday, still a really good movie!

2 years ago

Malignant - 5/10

2 years ago

Beautifully Stacked 9 (2021)

Great movie, great acting, for Oscar!

2 years ago

Two Women (1960)

French-italian war drama film. Certainly more of a Sophia Loren movie, but Jean-Paul Belmondo still played an important role in it. But yeah, mainly a Sophia Loren movie. She delivers such a great performance in this that she got an Oscar for it, as the first actor to win an Academy Award for a foreign language film. But since it was submitted too late for the 33rd Academy Awards it was only eligible for the 34th Oscars. So Audrey Hepburn for Breakfast at Tiffany's was her direct competitor for the Oscar, since she pretty certainly would've won it if it wasn't for Sophia Loren's fantastic performance in this movie. Apart from that the story was also fascinating, it's about a woman trying to protect her young daughter from the horrors of war. Not a very light-hearted subject but definitely check this out. Moreso for Loren than for Belmondo, but yeah. Highly recommended.
And that concludes my week of honouring the great Jean-Paul Belmondo. Absolutely one of the greatest french actors of all time. Huge loss. He was such an important figure of French New Wave and cinema in general. But he was 88, which is not too shabby. RIP. On one hand there are still movies I wanted to watch of him that I couldn't find, for example A Man and His Dog (2008), Belmondo's last film role or Web of Passion (1959), his first one. I like watching people's first and last movies and some more or less well known ones from their career when I'm doing a week full of their movies. On the other hand I'm glad to watch something other than old french-italian movies again.

2 years ago*

Nice to see all the appreciation for Jean-Paul Belmondo. Two of my favorites - Classe tous risques 1960 and Mississippi Mermaid (1969).

2 years ago

Letters From Iwo Jima (2006) [BluRay] [1080p] [YTS.AM]

2 years ago

Geostorm - Good special effects, interesting concept, but many aspects of the writing fell flat. For some reason no matter how insane things became no one in their world really cared. Millions of people kept dying from apocalyptic weather events and other then a single snippet on the news there was no indication anyone in the general public took note at all.

King Kong vs Godzilla - Action scenes were good, lots of love put into the special effects and animations, props to the artists that worked on it. But the writers should have been fired before the movie even went into production (all Human characters are either braindead, mentally ill, or just 'know' things cause they're mystical and it's easier to write arbitrary plot points that way).

2 years ago

2 years ago

Don't Breathe 2 - 5/10

2 years ago

Cosmos

A 2019 film about three astronomers spending the night in a Volvo watching the stars, when they receive a signal of unknown origin from outer space. It was definitely a slow-burner, and perhaps spent a little too much time as a character study, but once it got rolling, I couldn't stop watching, and the ending was both heart-pounding and poignant.

The kicker - the film was made for about $7000

Cosmos had no funding or budget - all equipment was either owned prior to filming or borrowed, all locations were lent and all cast and crew worked on the project without a fee.

It's on Amazon Prime Video, and definitely worth checking out.

2 years ago

And now it's on my list. Sounds really good.

2 years ago

I just stumbled upon it tonight and watched it. Amazingly cheap and simple, but good acting and entertaining (if you don't need action).

1 year ago

Portrait of Jennie (1948)

American fantasy film. Very good movie. Interesting story. Great cast including Jennifer Jones (who won the Oscar for The Song of Bernadette), Joseph Cotten (who you might now from some famous Orson Welles movies from the 40s including Citizen Kane), Ethel Barrymore (yes, she's related to Drew Barrymore), Lillian Gish (legendary silent film actress), Cecil Kellaway (if you've seen anything of him you'll recognize him), Florence Bates (again, definitely someone you'll recognize) and more. And this movie won an Oscar for it's special effects, visual and audible. It's is almost completely black and white, but towards the end there's a tidal wave sequence which is tinted green and at the very end the actual Portrait of Jenny (the painting that's a major plot point in the movie) is in full Technicolor. In cinemas, during that storm sequence the movie was shown in Magnascope, an early widescreen format. And the audio changed from mono to an experimental multi-channel sound, a kind of early surround sound. Must've been an awesome experience. Definitely check this one out! Recommended!

2 years ago

The Hunting Party (1971)

American-British western film. While cattle baron Brandt Ruger (Gene Hackman) goes on a hunting trip with his wealthy friends his wife Melissa (Candice Bergen) gets kidnapped by outlaw Frank Calder (Oliver Reed) and his band of thieves and rustlers. Ruger is a sadistic, abusive husband who rapes his wife. Calder isn't quite as bad. Still rapes Melissa but at least he's preventing his men from doing the same multiple times. I guess she starts to enjoy Calder's company after a while for that reason. But of course when Ruger gets notified that his wife has been kidnapped he takes his friends hunting. Not for animals like they planned but for men. Overall a good movie with a great cast but nothing outstanding. But I did like the ending quite a bit. SERIOUS SPOILER -> Calder's men are all killed. Him and Melissa have to flee into the desert. They're weak from heat and thirst, their horse is dead. Suddenly Ruger appears. Shoots and fatally wounds Calder. Then shoots Melissa. Then collapses himself. I like that kind of "nobody won" ending. Wouldn't have been as good if he just killed Calder and took his wife back home. Or killed Calder and Melissa and walked away from it all. I'm definitely a fan of the ending as it is.

2 years ago

Proof (1991)

Australian romantic comedy-drama film. It's mostly about three people. Martin (Hugo Weaving), blind since birth and distrustful of the world, his manipulative housekeeper Celia (Genevieve Picot), and Martin's young friend Andy (Russell Crowe), whom he meets early in the movie. Wonderful hidden gem of a dark comedy with a very good cast delivering great performances. Definitely recommended!

2 years ago

Schumacher - 7/10

2 years ago

A Matter of Life and Death (1946)

British fantasy-romance film. It's really good. But no surprise there, because it's a Powell and Pressburger production. Visually amazing, great cinematography, use of black and white and full Technicolor, amazing special effects, a great cast delivering very good performances, a fantastical story. Overall a great movie. Highly recommended!

2 years ago

2 years ago

Untold: Malice at the Palace - 8/10

2 years ago

Candyman (2021) - 7/10

2 years ago

Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes (1972)

German epic historical drama film. Very good movie. It's definitely a slow-burner but it's fascinating nonetheless. It's all about an expedition to find the legendary city of gold, El Dorado. But the longer that expedition is taking, the more the men slip into insanity. Great performances, the fake blood looks very fake, though. All in all definitely recommended.
Funfact: There's one character linking this movie to Disney's Jungle Cruise (2021) and it is... Aguirre himself. They're both based on the real spanish inquisitor Lope de Aguirre, this one of course more closely than the immortal, snake manipulating character in the Disney movie.

2 years ago

If you haven't seen it yet you should definitely check out Werner Herzog's documentary Mein liebster Feind about his work with Klaus Kinski.
It has soo many amazing anecdotes about Kinski, many of them from the production of Aguirre.

2 years ago

Sounds great, I'll put it on my list.

2 years ago

The Forever Purge - 5/10

2 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.