Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

The Platform (2019)

Spanish social science fiction-horror film. Rewatched this yesterday and it's still very good! Obvio.

2 years ago

Time Bandits - 7/10

2 years ago

Mortal Kombat (2021)

American-australian martial arts fantasy film. First of all, the only thing I know about Mortal Kombat (apart from the fact that it's a foghting game) is the theme song. So I went into this without any expectations, without any "where's that character" or "what did they do to this character" or "that's not part of the lore of the game" or anything like that. But despite all that, I thought this movie was really entertaining and it had great VFX. It's a bit awkward how they included those one-liners into the movie like "Fatality!" and "Flawless Victory!" and stuff like that. But it probably would've upset a lot of fans if they didn't. Still felt weird. They were fighting seriously and then they say their cheesy catchphrase like they're one of those action figures where you press a button to have them talk. But overall I liked this movie a lot. And I guess this is only the beginning.

2 years ago

Wow. First person I have seen that actually liked that dumpster fire.

2 years ago

I mean on its own it's not bad.

2 years ago

Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (1971)

American blaxploitation thriller film. The movie that created the whole blaxploitation subgenre. Definitely a very important movie, even if it's not very good by technical standards. But that's beside the point. The story is interesting, albeit not very deep. But it was more the act of making and releasing a movie than the movie being a masterpiece or anything. Because back then no Hollywood studio would finance something like this. A movie with a mostly black cast. So Melvin Van Peebles (director, writer and lead actor of this movie) financed it himself, and it became a hit and earned tons of money. It's one of the most historically significant movies of the 70s, so at least watch it for that.

2 years ago

Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro (1979)

Pretty fun movie. I think this is Hayao Miyazaki's first one? Not bad, also I wasn't familiar with the Lupin franchise but I liked the characters overall. Very simplistic story, but not like you expect that much with something like this. It doesn't have the same animation quality we come to expect nowadays from Miyazaki, understandingly so being a newcomer and limitations for the time. Not much to take out of the movie but it was fun!

2 years ago

Nightbooks - 5/10

2 years ago

The boy who harnessed the wind

2 years ago

Baadasssss! (2003)

American biographical drama film. Long before Dolemite Is My Name (2019) there was this. Made by Mario Van Peebles, Melvin Van Peebles son, this is a movie about the making of Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (1971). And, sorry to say, but I think it's better than the movie it's about. So the story behind the movie is more interesting than the movie itself. It's a beautiful homage from a son to his father and also a very good movie on its own. Lots of well known faces in the cast (Mario Van Peebles himself, Terry Crews, Ossie Davis, Rainn Wilson and many more) who are delivering great performances. Definitely recommended. But you should watch the original as well. Also, if you enjoyed Dolemite Is My Name and you're looking for something similar, this is it!

2 years ago

Kate - 5/10

2 years ago

The Great Buddha+ (2017)

Taiwanese dark comedy film. The first ~1 hour is very slice-of-life. More or less normal people doing more or less normal people stuff. But at around the 1 hour mark the mood totally changes. Not going into any more detail here. It's a nice touch how the movie itself is in black and white but the dashcam footage the guys are watching is in colour. I also like that the director sporadically tells us what's happening in the movie. Like a narrator but not really. It's definitely a good movie, but also definitely not for everyone. But I can still recommend it.

2 years ago

Norman: The Moderate Rise and Tragic Fall of a New York Fixer (2016)

American-Israeli political drama film. Good movie. Very interesting story, great cast (Richard Gere, Michael Sheen, Steve Buscemi, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Hank Azaria and many more) delivering very good and realistic performances. But not a movie you hear a lot about. Definitely check this out for the fact that it's underappreciated alone. Can recommend.

2 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

2 years ago

Minamata - 8/10

2 years ago

The Good, the Bad, the Weird (2008)

South Korean western action film. It's surprisingly really good for what it is. And what it is is a remake of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) if that wasn't already obvious from the title of the movie. I'm not really a huge fan of action or western movies but this one... it has both, but not too much of each. Add very interesting characters portrayed by great actors (Song Kang-ho, Lee Byung-hun, Ma Dong-seok and many more) and this becomes a super entertaining spin on a classic that's in no way a disgrace to the original which I haven't seen yet (I know, shame on me) but somehow absorbed through pop culture anyway. If you haven't discovered asian cinema yet, this would definitely be a great first introduction. All in all this is a movie that I can highly recommend to you if you haven't seen it yet.

2 years ago

The Guilty - 6/10

2 years ago

The danish one from 2018 or the new remake?

2 years ago

the new remake :)

2 years ago

Corpus Christi (2019)

Polish drama film. Really good movie! Fascinating story, stunning performances, especially by the young lead. Overall very captivating and definitely something I can highly recommend!

2 years ago

Free guy. It was OK, I expected it to be more fun, but still a decent watch.

2 years ago

The Interview (2014)

American political action comedy film. Rewatched this yesterday and it's still good.

2 years ago

Antikörper (2005)

German crime thriller film. Very good movie. Had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. So suspenseful. Captivating performances by some great german actors. Definitely check this one out! Highly recommended.

2 years ago

Lego Star Wars Terrifying Tales - 6/10

2 years ago

Batman The Long Halloween parts 1&2.

Despite the art style changed from the book, the story was phenomenal. An EXCELLENT movie.

2 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

2 years ago

The Many Saints of Newark - 5/10

2 years ago

The Tomb of Ligeia (1964)

British horror film. A Roger Corman movie starring Vincent Price based on an Edgar Allan Poe story. Definitely not a concept new to me. And with that I also knew what I had to expect. So yeah. Nothing outstanding by
Corman-Price-Poe standards, but also far from bad. I mean that line-up is always good and entertaining. This was no different. Can recommend!

2 years ago

Bamboozled (2000)

American satirical comedy-drama film. Surprisingly heartfelt, definitely didn't expect that. Great filmmaking by Spike Lee. Absolutely unforgettable movie, really makes you think. Highly recommended.

2 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.