Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Old (2021)

American thriller film. When I saw the first trailer for this at the cinema I was so excited. The concept is great, the execution not so much. You gotta suspend your disbelief for a bit with a lot of the acting, but some of the actors (like Rufus Sewell and especially Alex Wolff) do deliver very good performances. It's not a bad movie. Definitely not one of Shyamalan's better ones, but also not as horrible as people say it is. I feel like people's expectations were just too high (as were mine at the beginning, but since then they've been lowered by countless bad reviews). The plot twist was kinda predictable, though. At least the movie is entertaining and pretty original. And for that I have to say I didn't regret watching this. Can I recommend it? Maybe, but don't expect a great movie.

2 years ago

The movie was based off a graphic novel called Sandcastle. I read it a few days ago and have yet to see the movie.

2 years ago

I'm not huge on graphic novels but if I find that one I'll have to pick it up.

2 years ago

2 years ago

Stand by Me - 8/10

2 years ago

First viewing or rewatch?

2 years ago

i watch this movie atleast once a year and i will continue to do so until i die :D

2 years ago

Memoirs of an Invisible Man (1992)

American science fiction black comedy film. A John Carpenter movie with Chevy Chase, Daryl Hannah, Sam Neill, Michael McKean and many more. Sounds interesting already. Suprisingly great visual effects, computer-generated and practical ones. Lots of references to other movies like the original The Invisible Man from 1933 (bandaged face), Harvey from 1950 (when 6ft 3 ½ tall invisible Chevy Chase is asked his name he lies and says it's Harvey and in that movie Harvey was a 6ft 3 ½ tall invisible rabbit). I'm not a huge fan of Chevy Chase (and didn't know this was directed by John Carpenter before I watched it), so my expectations weren't very high. But for what it is, it's actually good. Funny, interesting plot, good performances, the great visual effects I already mentioned, the fun references. Definitely worth the watch and I wouldn't mind watching it again some time.

2 years ago

2 years ago

Zombieland 👍

2 years ago

Timecrimes (2007)

Spanish science-fiction thriller film. It's very good. It's about a man who unwittingly becomes part of a causal loop and must stop his other selves from continuing to exist. Really plays with your mind, like this type of movie always does. Very good performances. Great atmosphere. Definitely a hidden gem. Recommended!

2 years ago

A Farewell to Arms (1932)

American romance drama film. It feels surprisingly modern, despite being set during WWI and being released just 14 years after it ended. But due to it being a pre-Code movie "Pre-Code Hollywood was the brief era in the American film industry between the widespread adoption of sound in pictures in 1929 and the enforcement of the Motion Picture Production Code censorship guidelines, popularly known as the "Hays Code", in mid-1934. As a result, some films in the late 1920s and early 1930s depicted or implied sexual innuendo, romantic and sexual relationships between white and black people, mild profanity, illegal drug use, promiscuity, prostitution, infidelity, abortion, intense violence, and homosexuality." it's feels way more... normal than movies that would be released even just 2 years later with lots of censorship. Don't get me wrong, there are still great movies from the time the Code was in effect but pre-Code movies are just something special. So yeah, this one is really good. Great performances by the two leads Gary Cooper and Helen Hayes in a fascinating story about war and love. Highly recommended!

2 years ago

Injustice - 8/10

2 years ago

Where did you see it? I thought it wasn't done yet.

2 years ago

its been leaked probably since its already on the pirating sites :D but the official relase is 19th october :)

2 years ago

Cocoon (1985)

Very interesting feel good movie, with an interesting take on the subject. Cleverly avoids several cliches, and have a delightful score and special effects that holds up fairly well.

2 years ago

The Beach (2000)

British-american adventure drama film. Watched this yesterday and it was very good. Great cast, very good performances, all around a fascinating movie. Recommended!

2 years ago

Candyman (2021)

American supernatural slasher film. People wanted to make another Candyman movie since the early 2000s. At some point Jordan Peele jumped on it as a producer (he was no doubt influenced by the original Candyman movie). He probably could've directed it himself, but Nia DaCosta is great too as a director and I'm really looking forward to seeing more from her in the future. Great set and production design. Great atmosphere. Stunning visuals. But the original had its own special charme, this one has the same "modern black horror" vibe that Us and Get Out had, among others. Which definitely isn't a bad thing, but the original stands out more than this one does. So overall this is not quite as good as it could've been, but still a deserving sequel and I can recommend it. Would've loved to see Tony Todd a bit more than just that short part at the end, but okay.

2 years ago

Man, Tony Todd's voice is haunting. His presence really helped the movie along in the parts where the script was flagging a little.
Moving this one up on my watchlist then. I loved the original movie so I was a bit skeptical of a reboot at this point.

2 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

2 years ago

Batman: Gotham by Gaslight - 7/10

2 years ago

2 years ago

The Lost World (1960)

American science fiction fantasy adventure film. The budget was pretty low, so instead of the stop motion models the filmmakers actually wanted to use they had to use iguanas, geckos and monitor lizards with glued on horns and fins. Lots of miniatures as well. So yeah, the effects aren't very good but you do what you can with your budget. The cast is very good (Claude Rains, Jill St. John, Michael Rennie and more), the story is pretty interesting, but probably not the best adaptation of that Arthur Conan Doyle novel. Might watch the 1925 one pretty soon. Still a fun movie, so I can recommend it. But don't expect a masterpiece.

2 years ago

Malignant (2021)

It was pretty cool! Well made for the most part, decent actors, great music, good story (which fully reveals itself only in the third act, which I liked a lot).

2 years ago

The Gentlemen (2019) 10/10 Love Guy Ritchie movies!

2 years ago

Superman: Red Son - 7/10

2 years ago

The Angriest Man in Brooklyn (2014)

American comedy-drama film. I went into this with moderate expectations because of the mediocre reviews it got. But after watching it I really can't understand why people disliked it as much as they did. It's not Robin Williams' best work but it's still very good for what it is. Great cast full of familiar faces (Robin Williams, Mila Kunis, Peter Dinklage, Melissa Leo and many more) who are delivering surprisingly good performances (despite what people say). Not a very comedic movie, I'd say it's a lot more drama than comedy, about 75% to 25% or somewhere around those figures. Which is obviously not a bad thing (but some reviewers gave it a low score because they expected it to be funnier). Surprisingly heartbreaking film with what happened just a few months after it was released (making this Robin Williams' final movie to be released during his lifetime). I'll end this with a big recommendation for this movie (definitely watch this if you're in the mood for something more emotional) and a quote from it that should resonate with all of us.

"My tombstone will say, "Henry Altmann, 1951 dash 2014." I never knew till now, it's not the dates that matter... it's the dash."

2 years ago

+1. Another AMAZING movie.

So question. Fujitsu or Fuji?

Sorry, I HAD too. The scene was TOO great. Played on the fact that James Earl Jones really has a speech impediment.

2 years ago

Kenau. Known in the US as 1572 The Battle of Harlem.

2 years ago

Sphere (1998)

American science fiction psychological thriller film. Very good movie. Great cast (Dustin Hoffman, Sharon Stone, Samuel L. Jackson and many more), fascinating story, stunning soundtrack. It's not great, but it's still very enjoyable. Maybe it would've been better if it was made a few years later. But if you're into movies like this I can definitely recommend it.

2 years ago

The Mouse That Roared (1959)

British satirical comedy film. Great cast (Peter Sellers, Peter Sellers, Peter Sellers, Jean Seberg, William Hartnell and more). Very entertaining story, good performances, all around a very feel-good movie. So if you're in the mood to watch something like that, do check this one out. Recommended!

2 years ago

Saw this one decades ago. Classic movie. Sellers is always great. I would like to watch it again.

2 years ago

Batman: Assault on Arkham - 7/10

2 years ago

No Time to Die.
It was alright...

2 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.