Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Watched Old 2021. One of the worst movies in many years, They idea was nice but everything else sucked.

2 years ago

Prisoners of the ghostlands. No, just no.

2 years ago

Hard Boiled (1992)

Hong Kong action film. Very good movie! Great bloody action and John Woo's directing style is just outstanding. If you're a fan of Quentin Tarantino you will definitely like this as well. Lots of great stunts and kills. Watch it uncut though, I heard the cut versions are pretty subpar. But like this I can definitely recommend it!

2 years ago

Video 3000 (2006)

German computer-animated comedy fantasy short film. In the old, small cinema where I went to see a movie yesterday (see next comment) they always show a short film before the main movie. Which is nice. This one was about a guy who has a new remote control which controls not his new VCR but time around him.

2 years ago

The Father (2020)

British-french drama film. Rewatched this yesterday, this time on the big screen. Still a great movie. Phenomenal performance by Anthony Hopkins. If you haven't already seen it, definitely do so.

2 years ago

The Boss Baby: Family Business - 6/10

2 years ago

House of the Long Shadows (1983)

British comedy horror film. Like in Ghost Story (1981), which I watched a few weeks ago, the main cast here is a quartet of absolute legends. Vincent Price, Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing and John Carradine. Now that's a line-up. The plot isn't that outstanding or new (it's about a writer visiting an old manor to write a story alone and in peace but it turns out he's neither alone nor in peace there. The ending might surprise you, though. This movie is worth watching for Price, Lee, Cushing and Carradine alone. It's a real delight seeing them on screen together. Overall very fun and definitely a hidden gem I can recommend.

2 years ago*

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

2 years ago

Dune (2021)

American epic science fiction film. Watched this yesterday at the cinema and... wow. It's probably the most visually stunning movie of the year. Definitely something you'd wanna check out on the big screen. With a screentime of 2h35m it is sometimes slower than other times but when there's action it's often breathtaking. I'm already very excited for the next part. Highly recommended!

2 years ago

Yeah, loved the visuals and the audio....though I sometimes could not hear the dialogue properly, it seems there are a few movies with a "bad" sound mixing lately (in the original language)
I'm gonna watch it again when it releases digitally and hope part 2 will happen.

2 years ago

i wanna see that in cinema, looks like a movie to be watched ona big screen. just waiting for a couple of weeks so I can watch it with fewer people in the room. there are always the talkative ones that get on my nerve.

2 years ago

Deleted

2 years ago

The Crazies (1973)

American science fiction horror film. An infectious virus, vaccines, quarantine. "We're not dealing with a flu virus here." All things way too familiar to us now. But unlike in reality, here the virus actually IS a bioweapon. Yes, you read that right. The VIRUS is a BIOweapon. That's what they're saying in the movie, don't blame me. Interesting story, not the best actors, though. Maybe because most of the people in this movie weren't even professional actors. Well, keeping costs low I guess. We all know it's not really George A. Romero's best work (for obvious reasons), but it's still pretty entertaining and I can recommend it.

2 years ago*

I heard Romero talk about this film some years ago, in the context of remakes that obscure the point of originals. (Romero spoke often about how he did not make zombie films, per se, but made social commentary films that used zombies to make their points.) For him, the movie was about the fallout from the Vietnam War, and the toxic wave of violent right-wing politics that was taking hold in America. He was frustrated by the remake, in which the virus made people look like zombies - in his mind, the picture was about the secret hatred that made friends and neighbors into quiet monsters, and the reality that you couldn't tell by looking at them. You could never tell who was infected, in essence, until suddenly they turned and attacked you. He was an interesting person.

2 years ago

Ammonite (2020)

British romantic drama film. It is rather slow but it has a fascinating story inspired by the life of British palaeontologist Mary Anning. Good cast as well (Kate Winslet, Saoirse Ronan) delivering great performances. It's a good movie! Shame that it was so overlooked last year.

2 years ago

Finally watched No Country for Old Men yesterday after hearing so many good things about it.
It's good....but I'm not sure if I like the unconventional narrative structure of the film, it left me feeling like it was cut short.

2 years ago

mystic river. heard about the movie, finished the movie 2 hours ago, pretty cool mystery thriller with a great ending, enjoyed it a lot

2 years ago

lemme gove you another recommendation, iron fists and kung fu kicks, a documentary from 2019 I believe, about kung fu movies and their impact on the cinema world, intereating watch

2 years ago

Ichi the Killer (2001)

Japanese action horror film. It's full of brutal torture scenes and gorey kills. The effects are mostly okay, but some are not. Early 2000s CGI just isn't the best. The story is very good. From what I've heard it's not as good as the manga it's adapted from (are they ever?) but imho it's still very good for what it is. Definitely super interesting characters. (Watched this yesterday, seem to have forgotten to actually post it.)

2 years ago

He's not gonna beat you up anymore.
Now I'm gonna hit you.

A buddy of mine made us watch all that Takashi Miike stuff and other depraved asian movies a couple of years ago. Next you should go Izo and then Audition (and then schedule an appointment with a therapist).

That's not a serious recommendation. It's just a few of those which disgusted me the most. Particularly Audition.

On the other hand I suppose I can sincerely recommend 2LDK.

2 years ago

Takashi Miike is great. Have you seen Three... Extremes (2004). It's a horror film made of 3 segments directed by 3 different directors from 3 different east asian countries. Miike directed one of them. Fruit Chan and Park Chan-Wook directed the other two and all three are really good.

2 years ago

No, I haven't but my streaming site has it so I'll check it out.
I have to admit I'm a little bit scared of Miike. I have a feeling he's a very troubled individual and I think at least some of his movies have left emotional scars.
But I suppose how much harm can he do in ~ 40 minutes...

Last words before he went catatonic rocking back and forth sitting in a corner

😅

2 years ago

Possum (2018)

British psychological horror film. It doesn't rely on jumpscares, it just creates a very creepy atmosphere. Definitely has you on the edge of your seat the whole time. Very good performances and the story is very interesting too, especially the ending. Check this one out if you can. It's not perfect but it's very good for what it is.

2 years ago

Star Wars: Visions - 7/10

2 years ago

Old - 5/10

2 years ago

Cosmos (2019)

British science fiction film. First of all, this was made for basically no money at all. It starts off kinda slow but once it gets going your eyes are glued to the screen. There's not a lot of action, so it might not be for everyone, but it's still really good, especially if you love space like I do. Definitely recommended! Check it out!

2 years ago

Free Guy - 7/10

2 years ago

Schumacher (the Netflix documentary) - 9/10
In the 90s I was a kid, and I barely remembered anything from the F1 races we watched, so it was really interesting for me.
I would be fine for a 2 part documentary covering more the Ferrari domination period, because they just glanced over it.

2 years ago

The Conversation - 7/10

2 years ago

Deleted

2 years ago

Cruella (2021)

American crime comedy film. The movie is good. Doesn't really connect to the source material apart from that tiny bit in the very end, but that's okay. Just forget about the Cruella you knew, this is different. Could've been about someone else entirely, but I guess if you have the rights to that character why not use her name to sell this movie. Emma Stone delivers a great performance and so do many of the other cast members. The script is also surprisingly good. I'm kinda torn about this movie. On one hand it's very good in all technical aspects, but on the other hand... who needed this movie? Again, it's good, you should definitely see it. But I don't feel like anyone was begging for a Cruella origin story before this came out.

2 years ago

The Death of David Cronenberg (2021)

Canadian avant-garde short film. It's exactly what the title says. But while David Cronenberg isn't actually dead, in this movie he kinda is. But he also isn't. Just watch it yourself, it's less than a minute long.

2 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.