Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

2 years ago

Final Destination 👎

2 years ago

Anchors Aweigh (1945)

American musical comedy film. Great cast (Frank Sinatra, Gene Kelly, Dean Stockwell, Kathryn Grayon, Pamela Britton and more). Dean Stockwell's debut movie actually. And he was very good as the nephew of the main love interest. And that Tom & Jerry sequence in the middle was amazing (I mean they even added reflections of the cartoon character on a real surface.) but quite unexpected. Jerry even talks and he rarely does. I have seen parts of that sequence before (and so have you if you've ever seen Jerry the Mouse tap dance with Gene Kelly), I just didn't know it was from this movie. Overall a delightful musical with nice songs and an enjoyable story. Recommended!

2 years ago*

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - 5/10

2 years ago

Catchfire (1990)

American romantic action thriller film. Very good cast (Jodie Foster, Dennis Hopper, Dean Stockwell, Fred Ward, John Turturro and more plus others like Joe Pesci, Vincent Price, Charlie Sheen and Bob Dylan in uncredited roles) and an interesting concept. The ending came pretty abruptly and was kinda unoriginal, just another one of those "they killed the bad guys and lived happily ever after" type endings. The acting overall wasn't very good either imho apart from Jodie Foster. Can't really recommend.

2 years ago*

No time to die - 4/10

2 years ago

Buffalo Soldiers (2001)

British-german black comedy war film. Surprisingly good movie. Great cast (Joaquin Phoenix, Scott Glenn, Anna Paquin, Ed Harris, Dean Stockwell, Michael Peña and more). It's about a group of american soldiers in West Germany just before the fall of the Berlin Wall and their illegal activities like black marketeering and cooking heroin. Very entertaining, can recommend!

2 years ago

Fright Night (1985)

American comedy horror film. Rewatched this yesterday. It's still so good. Gotta love the practical effects.

2 years ago

Gentleman's Agreement (1947)

American drama film. Great cast (Gregory Peck, Celeste Holm, Dean Stockwell and more) in a very good movie (and for 1947 very ahead of its time) about anti-semitism. A reporter (played by Gregory Peck) pretends to be jewish to write a story about anti-semitism "from a different angle". And of course he does experience anti-semitism. But even worse, so does his young son (played by Dean Stockwell) at school when the other kids are calling him slurs. And then the casual anti-semitism. The name-calling is bad enough, but the general distrust and "it's better to be a christian" type stuff is bad too. There's a great quote from the movie:
Kathy Lacey: You think I'm an anti-Semite.
Phil Green: No, I don't. But I've come to see lots of nice people who hate it and deplore it and protest their own innocence, then help it along and wonder why it grows. People who would never beat up a Jew. People who think anti-Semitism is far away in some dark place with low-class morons. That's the biggest discovery I've made. The good people. The nice people.
And then at the end of the movie, where the main character's mother (played by Anne Revere) is talking about wanting to live long enough to see change, where all the people can live together in peace, that's some powerful stuff, especially coming from the '40s. Definitely a movie I can recommend.
Must've been horrible to flee from the horrors of Nazi Germany to the United States, the land of the free and the endless possibilities... and still living with anti-semitism and being treated like second-class citizens over there.

2 years ago

Entertainment (2015)

American drama film. Good cast (Michael Cera, John C. Reilly, Tye Sheridan, Dean Stockwell in his final role (another movie he appeared in came out after this but was shot a few years prior) and more). So about the movie itself... it's obnoxious and uncomfortable to watch, but on purpose. But the fact that it's on purpose doesn't make it any better. And Dean Stockwell's role isn't very big but it was nice to see him one last time. May he rest in peace.
So this was my week of Dean Stockwell movies, sadly didn't end on a high note there. But of course there are still movies of his out there that I haven't seen. If you don't know a lot about him or his work, do seek out some of his movies. Not this one, but he has been in a lot of great ones.

2 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

2 years ago

Jabberwocky (1977)

British fantasy comedy film. It feels like a Monty Python movie, although not quite as good. It's kind of python-adjacent, if you will. Directed by Terry Gilliam and the main character is played by Michael Palin. So if you're a big Monty Python fan and haven't checked out this movie, it's worth watching at least once.

2 years ago

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021)

American superhero film. I loved how they retconned the bad portrayal of The Mandarin in Iron Man 3. Cool to see Ben Kingsley in this movie playing an actor which explains the stuff in Iron Man 3. The characters are interesting, the plot is very good, the fight choreographies are cool and the VFX are really good. Overall it's entertaining and definitely good for what it is. Can recommend.

2 years ago

Red Notice - 5/10

2 years ago

I mean, did you expect anything else?

2 years ago

nope :D but considering the budget was apparently 200 milions i expected atleast good cgi or something :D

2 years ago

A Taxi Driver (2017)

South Korean historical action drama film. Heartbreaking movie based on real events, namely the Gwangju Uprising in May of 1980. It follows a taxi driver from Seoul (played by Song Kang-ho) who unintentionally becomes involved in the events of the Gwangju Uprising when german journalist Jürgen Hinzpeter (played by Thomas Kretschmann) wants to be driven into the city of Gwangju to report on the atrocities. Great performances, overall a very good movie. Highly recommended!

2 years ago

The Raven (2012)

American crime thriller film. I'm like the cast (John Cusack, Luke Evans, Brendan Gleeson and more) and I'm a fan of Edgar Allan Poe's work. So why have I never heard of this movie before? I really enjoyed it. It's fun, captivating, with great VFX and very good performances. Definitely a movie I can recommend!

2 years ago

I saw Eternals in theatres last Saturday. I personally like it, though my brother and friend that went with me thought it was boring since it is 80% exposition dumps and only about 20% action. If you like lore building and/or want the entire story of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, give it a watch when it's available in your area.

2 years ago

Ghostbusters (1984)

American supernatural comedy film. Well, on sunday I'm gonna watch the new one at the cinema, so I decided to rewatch the other ones. Haven't seen them in way too long. So long actually that I didn't remember a lot of details from this one. I know I've watched it but I don't think I've done so in the last 20 years. It's been a while. But damn, is this movie iconic. I don't even need to write anything about it because who here has never watched Ghostbusters? Great movie, absolutely iconic and if you seriously haven't watched this you've been missing out on one of the cornerstones of 80s cinema.

2 years ago

The Harder They Fall - 6/10

2 years ago

Ghostbusters II (1989)

American supernatural comedy film. Okay, I do remember more from this one than I did from the original yesterday. Still not every little detail (because the last time I watched it was probably also more than 20 years ago), but yeah. Nostalgia hit me harder with this one because as I said I remembered more. And I still love the movie, it's on par with the original for me.

2 years ago

Just got home from Ghostbusters Afterlife.

It.... Was.... AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 years ago

The Man Who Killed Don Quixote (2018)

British adventure-comedy film. Rewatched this yesterday and it's still very good.

2 years ago

I rewatched Resident Evil 2. It's really really bad, way way way way way way worse that I even remember.

2 years ago

Ghostbusters (2016)

American supernatural comedy film. On a scale of Ghostbusters to no Ghostbusters where Ghostbusters is a 10, Ghostbusters II is a 9.9 and let's say, The Man Who Killed Don Quixote is a 0 (because it's not Ghostbusters at all), this is a 3 at best. It's literally a bad parody of the original franchise. I genuinely thought it was a parody on purpose. There's even a scene in the headquarters from the original movie but rent's too high for them. Chris Hemsworth plays the equivalent of the receptionist, but dumber. One thing that's good is the cast. The main quartet was not very good but we also got characters played by Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, Daniel Ramis (Harold Ramis' son), Sigourney Weaver, Annie Potts, Michael K. Williams, Charles Dance, Ed Begley Jr., Steve Higgins, original director Ivan Reitman in a cameo, Ozzy Osbourne (but just one stupid line "Sharon, I think I'm having another flashback" after a ghost attack at a rock concert), Al Roker and more playing themselves. So that might be the only saving grace of this movie because the script is pretty bad as well. I wanted to give this movie a chance because I felt like initially it got a lot of hate just because the main characters are played by women but its problems go so much deeper than just that. They got a shitty version of the Ecto-1, a shitty version of the theme song, shitty versions of the proton packs, overall I'm still not completely convinced it's not supposed to be a parody. So yeah, the only good things are the appearances from the original cast members (Bill Murray as a paranormal-debunker, Dan Aykroyd as a taxi driver who's strangely well-versed with the paranormal, Ernie Hudson as a mortician and an uncle to one of the main characters here, Sigourney Weaver as one of the main characters' mentors and Annie Potts as a receptionist at a hotel). And the last 40 minutes are not half bad, so I'd put it up to a 3.5 on the Ghostbusters to no Ghostbusters scale. Still not worth a watch in my opinion.

2 years ago

Last Night in Soho - 6/10

2 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.