Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Wanted (2008)

American action thriller film. Very interesting concept. Great cast (James McAvoy, Angelina Jolie, Morgan Freeman, Thomas Kretschmann, Terence Stamp, Chris Pratt, Common and more) delivering good performances. Yes, the movie is a bit over-the-top with all the bullet curving and supernatural stuff like that but it's still within the rules of the story. So yeah, it's good. But there's a lot of story packed into a sub 2 hour runtime. Probably would've worked better as a series. Still... can recommend. It's a fun action movie. If you're looking for something like that, this might just be it.

2 years ago

Trailer (2014)

Dutch animated action comedy short film. In the old, small cinema where I went to see a movie yesterday (see next comment) they always show a short film before the main movie. Which is nice. This one's a fictional making-of of a trailer for an action movie. Complete with one of those deep trailer voices. All in claymation. It was funny.

2 years ago

The French Dispatch (2021)

American romantic comedy-drama anthology film. This one was the main movie I saw at the cinema yesterday. And what an experience this one was! First of all, what a fantastic cast. Bill Murray, Tilda Swinton, Owen Wilson, Adrien Brody, Benicio del Toro, Jason Schwartzman, Léa Seydoux, Frances McDormand, Timothée Chalamet, Jeffrey Wright, Elisabeth Moss, Mathieu Amalric, Stephen Park, Henry Winkler, Willem Dafoe, Saoirse Ronan, Liev Schreiber, Edward Norton, Lois Smith, Christoph Waltz, Jason Schwartzman, Tony Revolori, Bob Balaban, Anjelica Huston and more! Now, about the movie. It's an anthology film, which I like. It's about the final issue of the fictional newspaper The French Dispatch. People are compiling stories for it. Three main ones are highlighted. The first one is about an incarcerated artist who paints an absolute masterpiece of modern art but it's a fresco on the prison walls. The second one is about a student revolution and a manifesto. The third one is about a private dinner prepared by probably the most legendary police officer/professional chef which is disrupted by a kidnapping. This movie has so much style, it looks amazing. As of right now I'd say it has the Best Production Design Oscar in its pocket already. One of the first scenes is highly inspired by Jacques Tati's Mon Oncle which should already be telling you something about this movie if you're familiar with Tati's work. But still it's not as much "style over substance" as you might expect. Great performances, each segment is unique and captivating and the movie overall is absolutely fascinating. I don't think it's my favourite Wes Anderson movie (for personal reasons) but this is still a great movie and if you're a fan of his work you will really enjoy it. It truly is a love letter to journalists. If I could I would've just watched it a second time right after the first time, that's how good it was. Highly recommended! And if you're able to watch it on the big screen, please do so.

2 years ago*

Agreed! Delightful, and gorgeously done.

2 years ago

Miracle in Cell No. 7 (2013)

South Korean comedy-drama film. Very good performances. It's funny, it's sad, it's just really good overall. It depicts the relationship between a young girl & her mentally challenged father who's accused & convicted for a crime he didn't commit. Definitely something I can recommend.

2 years ago

2 years ago

Cruella 👍

2 years ago

Lawrence of Arabia - 8/10

2 years ago

Kramer vs. Kramer (1979)

American legal drama film. Great performances, gripping story. Would probably make for a great double feature with Marriage Story (2019). Recommended.

2 years ago

Vertigo - 7/10

2 years ago

Alita: Battle Angel (2019)

American cyberpunk action film. Around the time this came out (and for a while afterwards) you couldn't escape the Alita stans. For every tweet about any movie at all there were at least a handful of people talking about this movie in the replies. And I'm not someone who watches stuff when it's severely overhyped. But now the hype has died down, haven't seen people talk about this movie in a while. I thought "Why not watch it?". So I did. And let me tell you, it's not as incredible as these people said it was. It's definitely not bad either, but it's nothing super outstanding. All around it's good, but that's it. The best thing about it are the VFX.

2 years ago

Riders of Justice-7/10 At times really odd but certainly entertaining and memorable mixture of a revenge thriller and grief drama executed with tons of humour and heart.

À l'intérieur-6/10. Maybe I'm just too numb to gore at this point. Cause the CGI baby shots made me cringe more then any physical violence based practical effects. Still a fairly fun watch.

Things Heard & Seen-4/10. Just another POS Netflix film. Dull,overlong,stupid.

The Panama Papers-7/10

Friday the 13th-5/10

2 years ago

Anatomie 2 (2003)

German thriller film. Watched this yesterday. Okay, but not as good as the first one.

2 years ago

The Duelists (1977)

British historical drama film. Ridley Scott's debut! And what a debut it was! It's a great movie. Would make for a great double feature with Barry Lyndon, being set at similar times and also shot beautifully. And it still holds up even today. Mostly due to the fact that it's a period. Very good performances. A bit slow but fascinating story that at its core is all about honour. Two military man are again and again challenging each other to duels over a timeframe of 16 years. Probably the most realistic swordfighting in movies ever. None of that fancy click-clacking. No swashbuckling. Authentic stuff. Going for kill moves, slicing, stabbing, that kind of stuff. And when they get hurt they don't just go on, injuries have consequences, they have impact. It's genuinely fascinating. I mean at one point they slash at each other and connect and there's a skin flap hanging off of an arm. You don't really see that in a lot of swordfighting scenes. One of Ridley Scott's lesser known movies but it really shouldn't be. It's one of the best of its kind. Highly recommended!

2 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

2 years ago

Eternals (2021)

American superhero film. Saw this yesterday in the cinema. First of all, I love the diversity in the cast. I mean we even got a deaf character played by a deaf actor! In a major superhero blockbuster. That's just nice to see, considering it wasn't always like this and film studios preferred to hire big names and just have them play deaf. I also loved seeing Ma Dong-seok, who played one of the most prominent characters in the korean zombie masterpiece Train to Busan, play one of the main characters here. Apart from the really good cast the story was also pretty interesting. Didn't know anything about it before, but I thought it was decent. It's not the best superhero movie ever but it's fun, especially if you're a fan of history. Overall I'd say it's good and some scenes are just epic on the big screen. Eternals 2 will be interesting too, I guess.
Also, definitely stay for the two end credits scenes.

2 years ago*

Infinity Baby (2017)

American science fiction comedy film. It's not very good. In fact it probably would be better as a 15 to 20 minute short film. Don't know what else to write about it. I just didn't like this.

2 years ago

raya and the last dragon.

2 years ago

I've been watching films I haven't seen yet of Directors I enjoy...this is the Denis Villeneuve edition ^^

Enemy (2013)
I enjoyed it quite a bit even with it's weird moments like the ending.

Incendies (2010)
Really good, also not the biggest fan of the ending but I guess it's what the movie is moving towards.

2 years ago

Finally managed to get out and watch Dune (2021) with my partner who's a bit of Frank Herbert fan. I never could get into the book. Glad to say Villeneuve did not screw it up, and Part 2 has been greenlit.

2 years ago

Hustlers 👎

2 years ago

2 years ago

Captive State (2019)

American science fiction action film. Good cast (Ashton Sanders, Jonathan Majors, John Goodman and more) in a movie that sadly doesn't reach its full potential. It's still good, but it could've been better.

2 years ago

C'était un rendez-vous (1976)

French action short film. It's literally just an 8 minute movie shot from the front bumper of a car driving fast through Paris. But it's so good! If you love cars, you'll love this short. The car is driving too fast, ignoring red lights, driving the wrong way in one-way roads, things most of us of course never do. Certainly more exciting than normal people's drive to work. It's a car movie in its purest form. Overall a great short film and definitely one I can highly recommend.

2 years ago

The Player (1992)

American satirical black comedy film. Fascinating story. Great cast (Tim Robbins, Vincent D'Onofrio, Whoopi Goldberg, Dean Stockwell (RIP) and more.) Plus so many cameos I can't even begin to list them all. All I can say is: According to Wikipedia there are 65 celebrities making cameo appearances in the movie. Some are just in the background somewhere or passed by, others are having a few lines or are even talking to our main character. And again, the story is really good. It's about a Hollywood film studio executive who's obviously very busy with his job but suddenly someone starts sending him threatening postcards. He quickly finds out that they're coming from a screenwriter he declined a while ago. Overall highly recommended.

Well, the great Dean Stockwell has passed away. He was a child actor in the 40s and was still acting in movies up until his stroke in 2015. He acted with people ranging from Frank Sinatra to Eddie Murphy, Myrna Loy to Michelle Pfeiffer. And he was also a very prolific tv actor. Dean Stockwell was great in everything he was in and he will be dearly missed. Absolute legend! So, as I've done with other great actors who recently passed away I'm gonna watch some of his movies I haven't see yet for the rest of the week. On my list right now are Anchors Away (1945), Gentleman's Agreement (1947), Catchfire (1990), Buffalo Soldiers (2001) and Entertainment (2015). If you got recommendations for movies in which Dean Stockwell appeared which I haven't seen yet, please feel free to comment here.

2 years ago*

The Peanut Butter Falcon, because 50 shades of Shia LaBeouf :)

2 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.