Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

The Godfather Part II (1974)

American epic crime film. I can see why people say this is one of the greatest sequels ever made. For me it's one of those sequels that don't necessarily feel like a sequel, just more of the first movie. And yes, this as well is a masterpiece. Great performances all around and once again I'm reminded of just how talented all these actors are/were. Truly one of the greatest movies of all time, in my opinions almost as good as the first one. It's very, very close. But again, overhyping a movie is never good, so (if you haven't seen this one yet) go in as blind as you can. Which of course is not easy with a movie like this.

2 years ago*

the Batman

2 years ago

Platoon - 8/10

2 years ago

Were you inspired by today's framed.wtf movie wordle answer?

2 years ago

what is that? :D i was inspired by myself haha i had it on my watchlist for a long time and i decided that this week is war movie week :D and i have a good one again for tonight :D

2 years ago

If you haven't heard of wordle, it's basically just mastermind with words. And this one's basically just a daily movie quiz similar to how wordle works. Today's answer was Platoon, that's why I was asking. :D

2 years ago

Oh MAN! That was one FANTASTIC movie.

2 years ago

The Godfather Part III (1990)

American crime film. Watched the original cut, not the re-cut version of the film, titled Mario Puzo's The Godfather, Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone (2020) so I can't sayif that is any better than this or not. But what I can say is... this is not a bad movie. Sure, compared to the masterpieces that were the first two Godfather movies it's not even close, but this movie is still very good. So if you've avoided it because people said it was bad, just watch it. It's not that bad. And the re-cut version is said to be even better than this one.

2 years ago

Stalingrad 1993 - 8/10

2 years ago

Ascension (2021)

American documentary film. It's about the "chinese dream" and how China prioritizes productivity and innovation above all. I don't even know what to say about this. It feels almost surreal at some points. Definitely an experience. Weird practices, stuff you just really never see. Beautifully shot, though.

2 years ago

Der Hauptmann - 8/10

2 years ago

Attica (2021)

American documentary film. Really good documentary. Definitely more streamlined than any other Oscar-nominated documentary this year. This feels like something you find while channel-hopping and you just have to stop and watch the whole thing, that's how fascinating it is. Towards the end it's getting very graphic, so in that aspect it's nothing you'd just see on TV. But damn, it's a powerful documentary about an absolute atrocity. If you've watched Dog Day Afternoon (1975) and ever wondered what's up with Al Pacino's character shouting "Attica! Attica!" this is why he did that. Still got one more documentary to watch, but I think this one just kicked Flee off the Best Documentary Feature throne for me. Highly recommended, great documentary!

2 years ago

Das Boot DC - 9/10

2 years ago

Writing with Fire (2021)

Indian documentary film. Very good documentary about a news agency run by Dalit (lowest-caste) women who are just switching from print to digital journalism using smartphones and reporting from some of the most difficult regions of the country. Definitely very interesting and it's great that something like this got nominated for an Oscar, shining a light on the topic.
So, with this I just completed the Best Documentary Feature category. While this one was very good I still feel like Attica (2021) is the better documentary overall and my favourite so far.

2 years ago

Turning Red

Enjoyed the mid and later parts of the movie, but the first 20 minutes or so were way too over the top with their 'girl power' motif for me to enjoy. Nothing about the film was exceptional, but it left a good impression overall.

2 years ago

Svart krabba - 6/10

2 years ago

The Batman (2022) - pretty decent 7/10

2 years ago

Dune (1984)

American epic science fiction film. Rewatched this yesterday and I gotta say... after having watched the new one in the cinema when it came out this one now just feels a lot worse than it was the first time I watched it. Compared to the new one it's way too weird so you can't even really get into it. On top of that it introduces way too many characters and places so if you don't have any knowledge of the subject matter you're probably gonna be lost. Yes, it's over 2 hours long but it still feels so rushed. The cast is good, there are a lot of recognizable actors in this, albeit they're not really delivering their best performances. Again, comparing this to Dune (2021), the first half of this feels like "they did this so much better in the new one" and the second half feels like "I wonder how they will do that scene in the sequel to the new one". After watching this one for the first time and then reading about David Lynch really disliking this I thought "sure, he's directed better stuff but I don't understand how you can be that harsh to a movie you directed just because it's not exactly what it should've been" but now I completely understand David Lynch and why he thinks of this movie the way he does. So yeah, the first time I saw this (before Dune (2021) was released) I thought it wasn't that bad, but now I kinda do. Can't recommend it. Just ignore it and watch the new one.

2 years ago

LA Confidential. 6/10. Don't think it aged well. I thought Russell Crowe was great, and I thought Kevin Spacey was perfect in the role, but it's impossible to watch him without thinking "paedophile sex offender". Spoilers: The scene where he got shot I thought was poor, his acting immediately after getting shot and the lead up was obvious. The Rolla Tomassi mechanic was great, I loved that. DeVito, when's he getting hit, is awful, but great besides. Exley is kind of irritating. People mention it in the same class as Chinatown but there's no comparison as far as I'm concerned. Meh.

2 years ago

Deep Water - 5/10

2 years ago

Four Good Days (2020)

American drama film. I'm surprised but it's actually a good movie. I might still be mad that I had to watch the christian propaganda film Breakthrough (2019) for Best Original Song two years ago so when I saw that there was another obscure movie nominated for a Diane Warren song it wasn't necessarily on top of my watchlist. But I've seen it now and I can say that it's definitely not a bad movie. It's based on a real story about a drug addict and her mother. Good cast (Glenn Close, Mila Kunis, Stephen Root) delivering very good performances. Very touching movie, showing the struggles of a drug addict trying to be clean and the struggles of her family (mainly her mother) because of that. Can recommend.

And with that I'm done with this year's Oscar nominations. Watched everything that has been nominated for the 94th Academy Awards now. If you didn't see me review something here since the nominations were announced I watched it before. Just look for it if you're curious. Now we'll just have to wait for the Oscars to come around.

2 years ago

Incendies - 9/10

2 years ago

Spider-Man Homecoming - I thought it was great and Tom Holland is the best Spider-Man yet

2 years ago

The Adam Project (2022)

American science-fiction action film. After watching all those serious movies and documentaries I really needed something dumb and fun. And this was it. It's a sweet movie with good performances and an engaging story but that's about it.

2 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

2 years ago

Remember to hold the candy bar right when taking a hostage.

2 years ago

Deleted

2 years ago

Haha. Sorry I had to mention that as I liked The Chase. It was a LOT of fun.

2 years ago

Deleted

2 years ago*

Jackass Forever - 6/10

2 years ago

Red Rocket (2021)

American comedy-drama film. It's very good for what it is, but I'm not surprised it got snubbed at the Oscars. The subject matter of this movie was definitely part of the reason for that. The story is interesting though. Directed by Sean Baker who also directed The Florida Project so both movies have a similar vibe. For this one as well several actors are non-professionals, which just brings a lot of realism to the whole thing. Simon Rex on the other hand is a professional actor and he definitely delivered. Looking forward to seeing him in more serious stuff in the future. I know him from the Scary Movie films he was in but he can actually act. So yeah, it's definitely an intersting movie. It's long but never boring. I get that it's not for everyone, but I can recommend it.

2 years ago

Get Out (2017) - Interesting thriller

2 years ago

Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021)

Was holding back on this one cause I knew it couldn't fix what was never meant to be working in the first place. Just gonna say that I was not disappointed but at the same time nothing more than that. Solid ground to actually make good Spider-Man, but it's Disney we're talking 'bout so don't be too optimistic if you like watching good movies.

Quick summary: (without spoilers)
Classic Disney beginning of a movie with stupid jokes, ugly scenery (seriously what's the point of spending that much money to make it look like it was recorded on a phone by a Grandma...), and stupid dialogue that anyone could make more interesting (sorry Disney, forced jokes don't make the dialogue interesting or funny). Then it picks up a pace when the "good" villains join but unsurprisingly they don't seem to be working in the MCU universe. Everything seems kinda odd and made to be playing around Tom Holland's Spider-Man but they fail to make anyone care about him up until the end. So basically, a good portion of this movie was made to give Tom's Spider-Man the same backstory the other two have. We could have just had that as his primary backstory but making Iron-Boy Jr. was more fun I guess. The ending seems promising at the very least. After a long time, I can see myself giving a sheet about the next Spider-Man movie but we'll see...

I think even the producers realized that adding Spider-Man this early and without a reason to the MCU was a big mistake but they still don't regret getting money out of it (talking about his first appearance in the MCU, not this movie). So we ended up with another Spider-Man backstory which tingles my nerves, but we also ended up with a hope of finally being able to see good Spider-Man on screen after so long... I can now say that I'm finally interested in what the future of MCU has to offer!

Lil bit of spoilers:
You have a chance to make the greatest moment in the history of superhero movies and you end up making it in Ned's Grandma's house!?! Such a waste smh... Also, why tf would Andrew's Spidey take off his mask to a bunch of strangers!?! This is only a few of bugs and mistakes this movie has that tingle my nerves, but as I said, it's still a good foundation to make something great.

2 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.