Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

The Confession (1970)

I have been rather unimpressed by recent movies and the Pandemic slowed down production to a trickle so I have been going back to Academy award nominated movies starting in 1970 for those I have missed and ended up on a list of movies that have been considered snubbed by the Academy.
The Confession (L'aveu) was nominated for a Golden Globe in 1972 in the Best Foreign-Language film category but did not make the cut for the Academy. Most people assumed that it was because the movie was perceived as political and anti-communist, which seems silly, imo, since the movie is anti-totalitarian, and not about communism.

It's a very intense movie. I was surprised by how tense it was. It's hard to keep that level of tension in a movie over 2 hours but it's there from start to finish. Superb direction by Costa-Gavras (I had found his style to be lacking in his previous movie, Z, nominated for an Oscar) and really great acting.

The movie is a first person account of the pressure, mental torture and brainwashing methods used on a political prisoner during his interrogation over the course of 6 months, to get him to confess to being a "traitor to the party" in a Eastern European country that remains unnamed in the movie but the story is based on real events preceding the Slánský trial in 1953 Czechoslovakia. It is based on a memoir written by one of only 3 men out of the 14 tried, who survived the proceedings.

The book is also excellent.

1 year ago

Spawn (1997)

American superhero film. Lots of horror influences in this movie about a murdered US Marine who is resurrected as the reluctant leader of Hell's army. Sure, the CGI might not be very good by today's standards and the movie is definitely flawed but it's still really entertaining, a lot of fun and also just plain badass. I can definitely recommend this!

1 year ago

great movie for the time its was realized.

recomended to look a Fan Film ok YouTube, quite short, but a very good work: spawn - the recall - fan film

ohhh and if you like comics, there are very good ones from Spawn, cant recomend one, but Armageddon series are great, dark horror too, and many others.

1 year ago

Thanks for the recommendations.

1 year ago

Turning Red (2022)

American computer-animated fantasy comedy film. The animation is very good, the story is entertaining. Overall it's good for what it is, although I'm of course not really the target audience for this movie.

1 year ago

The Most Dangerous Game (1932)

American pre-Code horror film. A tight 1-hour movie, this pre-Code horror movie is well-paced, has a good story and is very entertaining. Could actually be longer imho. Fun fact: The film was shot at night on the King Kong jungle sets and that's probably also a reason why a big number of cast and crew worked on both of these movies. Ernest B. Schoedsack for example co-directed both King Kong (1933) and this movie. Fay Wray, Robert Armstrong and Steve Clemente performed in both movies with the first two pretty much being lead actors in both of them, too. So yeah, overall a very good movie, even if you don't have a lot of time. Recommended!

1 year ago

Spawn: The Recall (2014)

French short horror film. It's in english so you won't need subtitles. Well, it's really good for what it is and the VFX are also suprisingly good for some random short film. Definitely makes you want more Spawn. Highly recommended!
Thanks to Ivannes for recommending this to me.

1 year ago*

Just watched Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness

Yep, I was right, It was a dumpster fire. Plain and simple. It was god awful. If this phase of the MCU has any influence on the next ones, then Disney/Marvel needs to stop right now.

Yes, it was funny in places but that didn't help it one bit.

2/10 Would NEVER watch again.

1 year ago

1 year ago

Boss Level (2020)

American science fiction action film. It's kind of a mix between Groundhog Day (1993) and Gamer (2009) and it's actually quite good for an action movie like this. Good cast (Frank Grillo, Naomi Watts, Michelle Yeoh, Ken Jeong and more) delivering good performances for, well, an action movie like this. Overall I can recommend this. (Forgot to post this yesterday, it seems.)

1 year ago

R.I.P.D. (2013)

American supernatural action comedy film. Rewatched this yesterday and I still think it's good. Sure, the concept could've gone much further, so the movie didn't live up to its full potential, but I still like the result.

1 year ago

The Clapper (2017)

American comedy film. It's about professional audience member Eddie Krumble (played by Egg Helms) who gets noticed by a talk show host, which of course is something you don't want as professional audience member. And then he falls in love with this shy gas station attendant called Judy (played by Amanda Seyfried). Very good cast (Egg Helms, Amanda Seyfried, Tracy Morgan, Adam Levine, Leah Remini, Alan Thicke and more) delivering good performances in this entertaining 90 minute movie. Recommended!

1 year ago

Heavy Trip (2018)

Finnish comedy film. Very fun and entertaining finnish comedy about some young guys in a metal band who are trying to make it big. A few references to other movies, for example to Tom Cruise's dance scene in Risky Business (1983) (but of course way more metal) and the "You know that new sound you're looking for?" scene from Back To The Future (1985) (again of course, a lot more metal). Also Carrie (1976) but that was already quite metal. And definitely some more but I don't want to list them all here. So yeah, if you're a metalhead you'll definitely enjoy this and even if you're not I think it's probably still worth the watch. Overall this kinda feels like an early Taika Waititi movie. Just with a lot more metal. Fun movie, great music, highly recommended!

1 year ago

Treasure Planet

Disney's cartoon version of Treasure Island. Very well drawn. If you are familiar with the story, it does not really add nothing new to the table, but I did laugh a couple of times :)

1 year ago

Death On The Nile (1978)

British mystery film. Fantastic cast (Peter Ustinov, Bette Davis, Angela Lansbury, Maggie Smith, Mia Farrow, David Niven, George Kennedy, Jack Warden and more) in this Agatha Christie adaptation. The day before I watched Murder on the Orient Express (2017) I watched Murder on the Orient Express (1974), so for this one I'm doing the same. In this one Peter Ustinov is playing Hercule Poirot, sadly not quite as good as Albert Finney did in Orient Express, but still fun. And as always, gotta love the whodunnit element of it all, with the answer to that of course being something I'm not gonna spoil. But yeah, overall a very entertaining movie, although I think I still prefer Murder on the Orient Express (1974) over this one. Still, definitely recommended!

1 year ago

Death On The Nile (2022)

American-British mystery film. I still think while Kenneth Branagh is a good Poirot his Agatha Christie adaptations aren't. Especially if you compare them to previous adaptations. So yeah, despite a good cast (Kenneth Branagh, Gal Gadot, Letitia Wright, Annette Bening, Russell Brand, Jennifer Saunders, Dawn French and more) I'd give this one a miss, unless you're really into anyone in the cast or so.

1 year ago

Minions: The Rise of Gru - 7/10

1 year ago

Brian and Charles (2022)

British comedy film. Very charming little indie movie about a lonely inventor (played by David Earl, who you might recognize from After Life or Derek or whatever else he made with Ricky Gervais) whose inventions usually don't really work or are kinda useless. But then he builds a robot and after a thunderstorm it suddenly works. Don't know if I can recommend this movie to everyone but if you're either a fan of David Earl or or british indie comedies, give this one a go.

1 year ago

The Gray Man (2022)

A solid 5/7.

1 year ago

RoboCop - 8/10

1 year ago

Which one?

1 year ago

the first one :)

1 year ago

Ah, the REAL Robocop then. Good.

Now watch The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension if you haven't. If anything, at least for Jeff Goldblum in a red cowboy outfit. Just don't question about the watermelon. Therefore lies madness.

1 year ago

Such a fun movie. Definitely one I can recommend as well!

1 year ago

looks fun, tnx for the recommendation :)

1 year ago

No worries. One of my personal favorites.

Just a fair warning- you might just find yourself whistling the ending theme for days after.

1 year ago

A Bucket of Blood (1959)

American comedy horror film. It's very entertaining. Just over an hour long, directed by the great Roger Corman (who made this movie on a budget of only $50,000 btw), with Dick Miller in the lead role. Definitely a lot of fun, highly recommended!

1 year ago

Better Off Dead (1985)

American surrealist black comedy film. Fun 80s movie with a young John Cusack in the lead role. Can recommend if you're in the mood for that.

1 year ago

SUCH a great movie.

One thing that can be said is this - TWO DOLLARS!

1 year ago*

Carter (2022) (Netflix)
Looks like an asian john wick film, I like it.

1 year ago

Pacific Rim (2013)

American science fiction monster film. Rewatched this yesterday. Still a very good and entertaining movie. As opposed to the sequel. Not gonna rewatch that.

1 year ago

Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6920084/

Waste of my time, just like the Netflix show was.

1 year ago

prey

super disappointing. started off really well, and had a lot of potential, but then became incredibly silly with poor character development and dumb (even by the franchise standards) situations. at least the other ones had more outrageous over the top action to counter the poor storytelling. a shame, was really looking forward to this film, as well as an interesting new take. a real letdown

1 year ago

Coherence (2013)

American surreal science fiction psychological thriller film. I really enjoyed this captivating low-budget single location movie (some of you might know how much I like single-location movies). Really well made, keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole time. I'm not gonna go into details of the plot because you best go into it completely blind. Don't read anything about this movie and you're gonna be in for a treat. I can highly recommend this great movie!

1 year ago

This movie is a mind-f**k and a half (that's a good thing) and was a total surprise for me.
Not having big celebrities in the movies helped give it a realistic vibe but I guess it's probably why the movie is so totally unknown even by lovers of the genre.
I think by now I probably saw it at least 5 times because there is so much to notice and see in a different light once you know what happens.

1 year ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.