Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

No Escape (1994)

American science fiction action film. Funnily enough, it's set in 2022. In a way more futuristic 2022, but 2022 nonetheless. Great cast (Ray Liotta, Lance Henriksen, Kevin Dillon, Ernie Hudson, Michael Lerner, Ian McNeice, Kevin J. O’Connor and more) delivering very good performances, especially Ray Liotta. Interesting story, all in all a good movie that's sadly pretty forgotten.

1 year ago

Escape from Planet of the Apes (1971)

I've been watching all of the original Planet of the Apes movies for the first time. This one is easily my favorite so far. It holds up well.

1 year ago

Cop Land (1997)

American neo-noir crime drama film. Fantastic cast (Sylvester Stallone, Ray Liotta, Robert De Niro, Harvey Keitel, Robert Patrick, Cathy Moriarty, Michael Rapaport, Noah Emmerich, Frank Vincent, Method Man, Edie Falco and more). Very interesting story about corrupt cops. The movie could've been a bit longer, though. You get great performances from actors you expect them from but also from some you didn't. Stallone for example actually does a very good job in this one, which was surprising to me since he's normally not known for his acting abilities. So yeah, overall I can definitely recommend this one!

1 year ago*

Now You See Me (2013)

American heist film. Rewatched this yesterday. Still very entertaining.

1 year ago

Dominick and Eugene (1988)

American drama film. Very good cast (Tom Hulce, Ray Liotta, Jamie Lee Curtis, David Strathairn and more) delivering great, realistic performances (especially Tom Hulce). It's about twin brothers Dominick (Tom Hulce) and Eugene (Ray Liotta) with Dominick having an intellectual disability due to an accident in his youth. He works as a garbage man to put Eugene through medical school. They live together but now Eugene needs to complete his training, which of course is straining their relationship. Overall a really good movie, highly recommended.

So this was it, my week of (almost) only Ray Liotta movies. What a great actor he was. Everything he was in, no matter how good or bad the project itself was, he gave everything. I'm sad we won't see him in more movies apart from the ones he's already filmed that weren't released yet. Rest in peace to a legend!

1 year ago

Sphinx (1981)

American adventure film. Well, it's... not very good. Good cast (Lesley-Anne Down, Frank Langella, John Gielgud, John Rhys-Davies and more). The title is not very fitting. Sure, this movie is definitely about Egypt and tombs and stuff but it has nothing to do with the Sphinx itself. So the title is just a case of "we need something egyptian to make people know this is set there". Overall it's not very good, but not bad either. Pretty much in the middle. Don't know if I could recommend it, though.

1 year ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

1 year ago

Freaks of Nature (2015)

American comedy horror film. Very good cast (Bob Odenkirk, Denis Leary, Joan Cusack, Vanessa Hudgens, Keegan-Michael Key, Patton Oswalt, Werner Herzog, Nicholas Braun, Mackenzie Davis, Josh Fadem and more). It's about three high-school students who are already not very popular (quite the opposite actually) and now through various circumstances they join rival species in a town inhabited by humans, vampires and zombies. Aliens set the species against each other, and the outcasts try to band everyone together to fight the invaders. Nice concept, overall a really entertaining movie. Of course it's campy but it's supposed to be. Recommended!

1 year ago

The Big Wedding (2013)

American comedy film. Great cast (Robert De Niro, Diane Keaton, Katherine Heigl, Susan Sarandon, Topher Grace, Amanda Seyfried, Robin Williams, Ben Barnes and more) delivering very good and realistic performances in this well-paced comedy about a very chaotic family. Can recommend.

1 year ago

Singularity (2017)

Swiss-American science fiction film. Interesting premise but they sadly couldn't really deliver upon it. That said, it's definitely not as bad as it seems (from imdb ratings and such). Still not good, but not as horrible as you might think. It's actually quite entertaining if you don't expect much from it. Can't really recommend it, though.

1 year ago

Delirious (1991)

American comedy film. It stars John Candy as a soap opera writer who hits his head and wakes up as a character in his own show. Funny concept and John Candy definitely shines. Overall very much recommended!

1 year ago

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore (2022)

British-American fantasy film. It's a lazy popcorn movie. Definitely the worst of them so far. It doesn't have as much depth as the previous ones. The only things that actually furthered the plot were the voting thing, the breaking of the blood pact and the revelation that Credence actually is a Dumbledore, but that one was half expected, the rest is pretty much just filler. Some interesting characters we haven't seen before, but some old ones that weren't really needed in this movie. Newt Scamander himself for example. For that reason, the movie is also too long, at 2h22m. Can't recommend it.

1 year ago

Now You See Me 2 (2016)

American heist thriller film. Rewatched this yesterday. Also still very entertaining. Still hoping they make a third one.

1 year ago

The Midnight Meat Train (2008)

American horror film. Very good cast (Bradley Cooper, Leslie Bibb, Brooke Shields, Roger Bart, Ted Raimi, Vinnie Jones, Tony Curran and more). The plot is also more interesting than expected. I thought it would be more basic but even though the title still sounds kinda stupid the movie itself was actually very good. I didn't see that rather supernatural ending coming, despite knowing that the movie is based on something written by Clive Barker. Overall of course it's a bit brutal here and there and they're definitely not skimping on the gore, but if you don't mind that kind of stuff you should definitely check this one out. Recommended!

1 year ago

Shaolin Soccer (2001)

Hong Kong sports comedy film. Recently watched Kung Fu Hustle (2004) so I dedcided to watch this one as well, as it's made by the same guy. Very entertaining. Sure it's quite over the top, but that's what makes it so much fun to watch. Overall I still prefer Kung Fu Hustle over this one but Shaolin Soccer is still very good. If you wanna watch something and just have a great time, I can really recommend this!

1 year ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

1 year ago

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (2022)

American action comedy film. It's a lot of fun! Especially if you're a fan of Nic Cage's work. Don't wanna say too much because it's still relatively new, but if you're in the mood for something pretty lighthearted and silly at times, but cool and action packed at others, this is it. Can definitely recommend this!

1 year ago

Beyond the Infinite Two Minutes (2020)

Japanese science fiction comedy film. An absolute hidden gem! Fascinating story about a café owner and his computer monitor that shows what happens two minutes in the future from the perspective of the television in the café, which displays what happened two minutes into the past. When the monitor is brought down and put up opposite the television, a Droste effect is created, allowing us to see further into the future. The movie is really entertaining. The only thing I thought was kinda weird (well, apart from all the intentional weirdness in the movie) was that there was an old dutch Droste cocoa tin from the early 1900s for the characters to explain the Droste effect. Felt a bit out of place. Apart from that the movie was very good. It's also only 70 minutes long, so if you don't have much time, watch this. Highly recommended!

1 year ago*

Hustle (2022)

American sports drama film. Lots of big names in basketball portraying themselves or characters in the movie. As a matter of fact, only a few of the characters are played by just actors (Adam Sandler, Queen Latifah, Ben Foster, Robert Duvall, Heidi Gardner), all the other roles are played by people that have or had something to do with basketball. Well, now about the movie itself. I don't usually watch sports movies and I don't care about basketball either. But this movie... it was really good. It's definitely a feelgood movie, so if you're in the mood for something like that (and again, you don't even have to be a basketball fan) check this one out! Definitely a great Adam Sandler movie for what it is. Highly recommended!

1 year ago

Hustle - 7/10

1 year ago

Jesus liebt mich (2012)

German fantasy comedy film. Good cast (Florian David Fitz, Jessica Schwarz, Henry Hübchen, Hannelore Elsner, Nicholas Ofczarek, Michael Gwisdek and more) delivering realistic performances (at least as realistic as you can get in a fantasy movie). And now let's address the elephant in the room. I don't care about religion, so in my book these characters are just fantasy characters. Very old ones with a huge fanbase, but still just fantasy characters. So in that sense I actually like them and I enjoy a good fantasy movie about religious characters. This was one of them. The characters are played like they're supposed to, although the "Satan smells like shit all the time" is new to me. Overall this was a lighthearted movie that you can definitely enjoy if you don't believe in all that stuff. And probably even if you do. Recommended.

1 year ago

Bigbug (2022)

French science fiction comedy film. It's about a group of people stuck together when an android uprising causes their household robots to lock them in for their own safety. So it's pretty much a single-location movie and I've mentioned before how much I like those. The premise is really interesting, but the movie could've been a bit shorter. Apart from that it's definitely a lot of fun (might remind you of a long Black Mirror episode but with more comedy). Can recommend!

1 year ago

The Amusement Park (1973)

American psychological thriller film. Directed by George Romero! It was made in 1973, played at one film festival in 1975 and then never got any further release. It was considered lost until 2017, when a 16 mm print was rediscovered, then it underwent restoration and now we got a 4K version of it. This movie was actually commissioned by some religious organization as an educational film about elder abuse, but they definitely didn't like Romero's surreal and disorienting take on the subject which lead to the finished movie being shelved. Before watching I thought this movie would be a bit short at only 54 minutes, but after watching it I changed my mind. It's disturbing enough that I wouldn't want another hour of this. Definitely not an easy watch. It's great for what it is and if you're a fan of Romero and movies like this it's absolutely worth the watch but it's definitely not a movie for an average moviegoer. So yeah, can recommend but not for everyone.

1 year ago

Naboer 2005 7/10

1 year ago

Hotel Lux (2011)

German comedy drama film. Rewatched this one yesterday and it's still very good.

1 year ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.