Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Sunshine (2007)

British science fiction psychological thriller film. Very good cast (Cillian Murphy, Rose Byrne, Michelle Yeoh, Chris Evans, Cliff Curtis, Hiroyuki Sanada, Benedict Wong and more) delivering great performances in this sadly underseen and underappreciated sci-fi movie. Script by Alex Garland (who went on to direct Ex Machina, Annihilation and most recently Men which he all wrote himself), directed by Danny Boyle (who directed Trainspotting and it's sequel, 28 Days Later, 127 Hours and more). So lots of talent associated with this movie. If you're a fan of sci-fi and you haven't seen this one yet, check it out! It's a great movie. Highly recommended!

1 year ago

Mayhem (2017)

American action comedy horror film. Steven Yeun and Samara Weaving in a movie with a very interesting premise (A virus spreads through an office complex causing white-collar workers to act out their worst impulses.) but not quite living up to its potential. It was fun and bloody and all that but I feel like it could've been even more so. At under 90 minutes it also felt a bit too short for me, could've explored its themes a bit more in another half an hour maybe. Apart from that it was definitely entertaining and fast-paced, so I can still recommend it.

1 year ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

1 year ago

Man of a Thousand Faces (1957)

American dark drama film. A biopic about the legendary Lon Chaney, played by the legendary James Cagney. Of course I had to watch this. As with any biopic this one isn't 100% factually correct, but it's still very entertaining. There's not much to say if you don't know about Lon Chaney and if you do you probably know his life already. But still, I can recommend this one.

1 year ago

The Unknown (1927)

American silent horror film. Well, having watched a biopic about Lon Chaney yesterday, why not watch an actual one of his movies today? This one was directed by Tod Browning (who's most famous maybe for directing Dracula (1931) with Bela Lugosi) and is considered the most unique and disturbing of the eight films that Tod Browning and Lon Chaney made together. It's about "Alonzo the Armless" (played of course by Lon Chaney), a circus performer who uses his feet to toss knives and fire rifles. But he's an imposter and actually has arms which he keeps tightly strapped to his torso. He's secretly in love with Nanon (Joan Crawford), the woman who he performs with, but so is Malabar (Norman Kerry), the circus strongman. And if I wrote anything more about the plot here it would contain spoilers because the movie isn't that long anyway. So yeah, it's a great movie with very good acting and even after over 90 years it's still kinda shocking. Highly recommended!

1 year ago

Messer im Kopf (1978)

West German drama film. Really good movie with great performances, especially by Bruno Ganz. Why it's called Messer im Kopf (Knife in the Head) even though it's about a guy who was shot in the head during a police raid and subsequently has to relearn everything, from walking to speaking and more, I do not understand. Overall it's kind of slow, so it might not be for everyone, but for a character-driven drama with great performances it's something I can highly recommend!

1 year ago

Dom Hemingway (2013)

British black comedy–crime drama film. This one and Filth (2013) with James McAvoy would make for one hell of a double-feature. It's quite a mesmerizing movie. Great performance by Jude Law as a vulgar, filthy, nasty, foul-mouthed ex-con. Good supporting cast (Richard E. Grant, Emilia Clarke, Nathan Stewart-Jarrett, Demián Bichir and more). So yeah, if you've seen Filth (2013) and are in the mood for something similar, watch this!

1 year ago

Mission: Impossible - Fallout

I've been watching the M:I movies since the 90's, and how is the sixth film in the franchise not only the best in the series, but IMO one of the best action movies ever made?

9/10

1 year ago

Interstellar (2014)

American-British epic science fiction film. Rewatched this yesterday and it's still a masterpiece.

1 year ago

The Lost City (2022)

American action-adventure comedy film. This one is surprisingly entertaining and even funny at some points. Good cast (Sandra Bullock, Channing Tatum, Brad Pitt, Daniel Radcliffe, Da’Vine Joy Randolph). If you watch this as kind of a parody of the genre it's actually quite good. Silly, yes. But I feel like it's supposed to. So yeah, can recommend.

1 year ago

Top Gun: Maverick 9/10

I really liked it

1 year ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

1 year ago

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - 7/10

1 year ago

Black Phone 7.5/10 Not too much terror, more thriller with a few jumpscares and really good ambience. Some elements of supernatural add up to a great mix of nice young actors (specially the main character), Ethan Hawke being scary (but not enough screentime for the bad guy) and great plot and moments.

Yesterday: Brubaker 7/10 Classic 80's jail drama/thriller with Robert Redford and a really nice line-up of secondary characters and actors. Inspired (not based, just inspired) on a true story. Not up to the ranks of Papillon but if you like jail movies, this one is among the "you must".

1 year ago

Finsterworld (2013)

German drama film. It follows twelve totally different people who's stories get more and more interconnected throughout the movie and all of them have a dark side. Very slice-of-life, so if you like movies like that, this one's for you. It's fascinating! Great cast too, but not really actors known outside of Germany, so I won't write them down here. Check out the cast if you're curious, though. Very captivating movie about... well, life. Definitely one that makes you think. Highly recommended!

1 year ago*

The Big Bus (1976)

American disaster comedy film. It's a spoof of the disaster movie genre (which was popular at the time) and it's about a nuclear-powered bus called Cyclops on its first cross-country trip. But before they bus can begin its journey it's sabotaged and the only drivers who were trained for driving Cyclops are hurt (one guy broke his clutch foot, the other one his shifting arm). Now with the kind of movie this one is parodying there's always that one guy that CAN drive the bus (in this case) but "no, not him", "oh, it's gotta be him, no one else can do it". I'm sure you all know the trope. In this movie that guy is Dan Torrance, who was disgraced after he crashed his bus and allegedly ate all of his 110 passengers. The bad guy (who's called Ironman) who's also responsible for the sabotage of the bus in the first place actually has a pretty valid reason. It's not some kind of wacky reasoning people often have in this type of movie, he simply wants to make a lot of money working with oil sheikhs, so he wants to discredit other types of transportation, like electric cars, solar engines and of course this nuclear-powered bus. And thus the story unfolds. Lots of clichees and overused tropes but because this movie is parodying its genre I feel like they're allowed here. Overall lots of funny sight gags and for what it is, this entertaining movie is actualy quite good. If you like stuff like Airplane! (1980) and similar movies this is definitely one I can recommend.

1 year ago*

Shooting Stars (1928)

British drama film. Great movie! It's about a movie star who plots an escape to Hollywood with her lover and the murder of her husband. I had to remind myself multiple times that it's actually from the 20s, from around the time of the setting of this movie. It just feels a lot more modern, it's very ahead of its time. It wouldn't feel out of place 30, 40 years later. Even today, almost 100 years later it doesn't feel like it's that old. A lot of that comes from what the movie is about. It's about movie making and a love triangle, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if someone made a movie today that's heavily inspired by that. Those really are timeless subjects. On top of that, the acting is great as well. All in all, this movie should definitely be more well known. It's criminally underappreciated. Highly recommended!

1 year ago

Batman (2022) - 9/10
Venom 2 Carnage - 6/10

1 year ago

High and Low (1963)

Japanese police procedural crime film. It's a masterpiece! And when I say masterpiece I don't mean the single greatest movie someone made. Hell, Kurosawa has made more masterpieces than other people's full filmography. Amazing cast (Toshirō Mifune, Tatsuya Nakadai, Kyōko Kagawa, Takashi Shimura and many more of Kurosawa's regulars) delivering great performances. At its core it's about a kidnapping. But the circumstances in which that happens and what happens later in the movie are what make this one so special. Highly recommended!

1 year ago

Doctor Strange 2

1 year ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

1 year ago

Death Proof (2007)

American thriller film. If you ever wondered what a serial killer movie mixed with a car movie would look like, this is it. (I'm not saying "serial killer car movie" because that's just Stephen King's 1983 movie Christine.) Not gonna go anything further, because of spoilers. But yeah, it's a really entertaining movie, especially if you like cars. Very good cast, great stunts, all in all a little lackluster in the story department but the rest of the movie makes up for that. And of course it's a huge tribute to old low-budget Grindhouse films of the 70s and 80s, if you were wondering about the look of the movie. It's supposed to be like that. Overall I can recommend it.

1 year ago

Angst essen Seele auf (1974)

West German drama film. I really need to watch more Rainer Werner Fassbinder movies. As a german, those movies are part of my culture after all. This one's about a lonely older widow called Emmi who meets a much younger moroccan worker called Ali in a bar during a rainstorm. They develop a friendship and later fall in love, much to the shock and downright disgust of most people in their lives. Emmi's family, coworkers and other aquaintances basically say it into her face how disgusting she is for (later in the movie) having married that "foreigner". It's a touching, honest, revealing movie. And a really good one on top of that. Highly recommended!

1 year ago

We met in virtual reality

1 year ago

De humani corporis fabrica

1 year ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.