Enhanced SteamGifts & SteamTrades (ESGST)

An extension / userscript that adds some cool features to SteamGifts and SteamTrades.

If you find any bugs or have any feature requests, please file an issue here.

Compatibility

Tested and confirmed as working:

• Chrome (since v55)
  • Firefox (since v52)
  • Pale Moon

Not tested but should be working:

• Any Chromium-based browser (such as Opera, Vivaldi, etc...)

Not supported:

• Edge
  • Safari

Installation

There are two different ways to use ESGST: extension or userscript. You can choose which one you want to use, but the extension is a lot faster and has a better peformance than the userscript, so I recommend it, although there is no major difference between them, except for a few options that are only available in the extension because of limitations in the userscript.

Option 1 - Extension

It should be possible to install the extension in any Chromium-based browser from the Chrome store (such as Opera, Vivaldi, etc...), any Firefox-based browser from the Firefox store (such as Waterfox, etc...), and any browser that uses the Phoebus system from the Pale Moon store (such as Basilik, etc...).

You can also use the extension on Android through Firefox for Android, but some features might not work or not be optimized enough for mobile.

Option 2 - Userscript

To install the userscript, you must install Violentmonkey, Tampermonkey, Greasemonkey or some other userscript manager first. Then click here and you should be prompted to install it. I recommend Violentmonkey or Tampermonkey, because the userscript uses the GM_addValueChangeListener API to communicate changes in the storage between tabs, and that API is not available on Greasemonkey, so a polyfill is used for Greasemonkey, which is not very effective and can affect the performance.

You can also use the userscript on Android through Firefox with Violentmonkey or USI, but some features might not work or not be optimized enough for mobile.

Beta Versions

The latest beta version for both the extension and the userscript is always available in the latest pre-release in the releases page.

7 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Is there a way to update the Extension manually?
My Firefox crashed and now I'm somehow back to version 7.16.5. I'm constantly getting he pop-ups '! A new ESGST version is available' and '! You are not using the latestESGST version...', but both are missing the update link.
Do I have to add the Extension to Firefox again even though it is already there? I fear this would override my settings and it is somehow always a pain to get them imported correctly.

6 years ago

Can't you just go to the about:addons page and update it?

Firefox does not show the update link with the notification, since it updates automatically.

6 years ago

I tried that. There are no updates available on the about:addons page.

6 years ago

Well, what do you mean it is always a pain to get your data imported correctly?

6 years ago

Luckily I did not have to do it in a while, but a few months back when the script was crashing a lot for me I always had to import the data multiple times until it would stay. It is of course possible that I did somehing wrong in the process.

So, since there is no working option to update on the addons page (at least for me) I guess I have to add it again (maybe even deleting it and then adding the newest version)?

6 years ago

You refreshed the page after importing?

I guess, not sure what else you can do.

6 years ago

Yeah, I refreshed it. Doesn't matter now, because I just added the Extension again without deleting the old version beforehand and it kept all my settings. Good to know in case this happens again.
Thanks for your input.

6 years ago

You do know that you have to wait until the button turns from "Restoring..." to "Restore" and the restored with success message appears, right? It doesn't restore immediately when you select the file and confirm it.

6 years ago

I know it takes a bit to load, but since it's been a few months I honestly can't recall the exact circumstances. If it ever happens again I'll remember this. ;)

btw: Now that I was forced back to 7.16.5 I remembered something else. I forgot to tell you when I noticed it a few weeks (?) back. You changed something somewhere between this and the latest versions that solved a major issue for me. On 7.16.5 my RAM usage spikes up to 100% for a few seconds and brings my system to a still stand whenever I open a forum page or giveaway on SG. Happens with both Extension and Script+Tampermonkey, all other scripts disabled, opening other sites like Steam or SGTools is fine.
Problem stopped a few versions back I think.
Don't know if you can do anything with this information, but I thought I should mention it.

6 years ago

somehow I messed this up,

How, can I solve it?

View attached image.
6 years ago

There is an option to reset it in the settings menu: Others.16

Select "Giveaway Columns", click reset, select "Giveaway Panel", click reset, and done.

6 years ago

it worked, thanks a lot 😀😁

6 years ago

just change the giveaway's time which reduces the space

5 years ago

Grid view is showing the time the giveaway was created instead of time remaining now is there anyway to change that? I can't seem to find anything for that:/

View attached image.
5 years ago*

What do you mean? 11h is the remaining time and 6h is the time it was created, it has always been like this.

5 years ago

They all show 11h but when I enter and go to the entered giveaway page it shows 6mins remaining or more. I'm not actually sure how to go about explaining it but something is funny here:/ All the giveaways never showed 11h or more on every single one on the front page for me ever but after the last update that pic is what they all show and it makes it hard to know how long I got before they end. If I go to the giveaway page it shows actual time remaining but in grid view it is showing time created.

5 years ago*

2 show 11h and 6 show 12h in your image, that's not "all". What do you get if you hover over the times?

What you're saying doesn't add up. If it's showing time created then what are the "6h" and "1w"? They are clearly far away from "11h" to be the same thing.

5 years ago

Ok where it says 12h and you hover over it and it says ends in 12min instead of the 12h it used to just show the 12min at least for me anyway but that changed after last update. Times aren't relevant they change depending on what actual time it is I'm just saying it seems like the values got switched;) Hope this is clearer I'm having trouble trying to explain this:/ I just know something is off.

View attached image.
5 years ago

That can happen if the time shown in your account does not match the time on your computer.

5 years ago

I recently had to replace the CMOS battery so maybe that is the reason then:) I'll check and see if I can get it fixed. Ok how would I fix that?

5 years ago

Well, first check the clock in your system. Is it different?

5 years ago

Times correct I fixed that after replacing the battery;) Ok I reset it again and instead of setting it to time.windows I selected the other option and that fixed it;D Sorry for being a bit confusing and thanks for helping I'd be lost without this addon;)

5 years ago*

Is there an option to hide (not fade out) entered giveaways?

5 years ago

Giveaway Filters > Multiple Filters

5 years ago

Bug: 7.18.0 (Dev.19) seems to be when discussions are in sidebar, occurs sporadically.

Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: Cannot read property 'toLowerCase' of undefined
    at getDiscussionInfo (esgst.js:31253)
    at getDiscussions (esgst.js:31114)
5 years ago*

Hey there! Sorry to ask here, but after updating ESGST, I now have two ESGST buttons appearing on the top bar instead of one.
Did I do something wrong, and is there anything I can do to fix it?
Uninstalling and reinstalling has the same issue for some reason.

Thank you!

5 years ago

I'm 99% sure that you installed 2 different versions of ESGST. Check if you have multiple userscript managers (Greasemonkey, Tampermonkey, Violentmonkey, etc...), or if you installed the extension alongside the userscript.

5 years ago

Hey, you were right!
I think I had greasemonkey and tampermonkey installed.
Disabling one ESGST from tampermonkey helped to fix the issue so I'm back to one ESGST.
Thanks for the quick reply!

5 years ago

Marking Comments as read seems to have problems with threads of more that 6164 comments (for example Guess the Game 2) The comment jumped to and all below when marked as read will not fade out anymore . Also endless processing icon when using the eye on a single comment instead of the "all of the above as read" icon. Firefox 59.0.2 with ESGST 7.17.8

View attached image.
5 years ago*

Check the console for errors, could be related to https://github.com/revilheart/ESGST/issues/638.

5 years ago

The js console says: TypeError: count is undefined esgst.js:12442:39 for single mark and 12455:43 for mark all
Edit: And like in the issue I've marked all comments as read in the whole thread to that point.

5 years ago*

It's probably the same error then, it will be fixed in v7.18.0.

5 years ago

See if it happens in the latest.

5 years ago

Works like a charm again. Just had to remark all comments, because after adding the latest readunread comments he got confused and counted them as +- but no biggie. Also the performance seems to be way faster now: It only took around 30 secs to a minute or so to remark the whole thread. And the console has no related errors for ESGST at this time 👍

5 years ago

I just noticed this is still in the tooltip. SG upgraded to 4.7 a couple of weeks ago, maybe link the 4.7 cheatsheet since current fontawesome 5+ changes a lot.

The name of the icon must be any name in this page: http://fontawesome.io/icons/ (except for the 41 new icons from 4.7, SG doesn't support that)

5 years ago

Is there an option somewhere to highlight a giveaway of a game that was never in a bundle ? Oddly specific but I was wondering.

5 years ago

There is a feature called Game Categories that shows tags next to the title of a game with some details about it, including whether it has been bundled or not (Full CV). See if does what you want.

5 years ago

5 years ago

It seems ESGST only extracts 125 games from Pilda's latest train whereas the train has 156 games (and was made with ESGST).

5 years ago

Odd, I can reproduce as well, will try to find out why.

5 years ago

View attached image.
5 years ago

Should be fixed in the latest.

5 years ago

I'm sorry to say the latest version doesn't work at all; Firefox/GreaseMonkey, no console errors.

5 years ago

It doesn't work on Chrome as well.

5 years ago

v7.18.1 should fix it.

5 years ago

Unfortunately v7.18.1 still has the same issue for me.

5 years ago

There has to be errors in the console, check the Ctrl + Shift + J console.

5 years ago

What version of Greasemonkey do you have? Any reason why you're not using the extension instead of the userscript?

5 years ago

See my reply below (3.17).

I prefer the userscript cause I can actually read and edit it, should I need to.

5 years ago

You can also read the extension though, its source code is available on GitHub. And the extension has much better performance than the userscript. But if you really need the ability to edit it, then ok.

5 years ago

Coming back to using the userscript or extension:

Another reason to use the userscript is that it seems easier to roll them back then with the extension.

I must admit though that 350 days of the year I'd be more than happy with the extentsion as it definitely feels the userscript version slows things down.

Do both versions share the same local storage? If so, then I'll gladly use the extension and switch back to the userscript if there is any need to.

5 years ago

Rolling back the extension is easier: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/esgst/versions/

No, the extension has its own storage, and the userscript uses the Greasemonkey storage, but you can move data from one to the other through the backup/restore tools.

5 years ago

The funny thing is that AMO seems to be down for me right now but I might give it a shot after I've had some sleep.

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

5 years ago

If I do the same but add the next/previous info in the description textarea of the GA creator beforehand, the train is created but the carts all have the description (including next/previous links) from the imported [description=""] tag nonetheless.

Where is the issue there? That would be expected, no?

5 years ago

The "giveaway popup" function stopped working. I'm using the Chrome extension, and I have tried reinstalling it but that didn't help.

5 years ago

v7.18.1 should fix it.

5 years ago

ESGST just updated and seems completely broken (Firefox 59.03 with Tampermonkey . The site is 100% stock now, no sign of ESGS features anywhere. On the F12 console, there are a bunch of errors:

Syntax error @ "ESGST"!
##########################
JSHINT output:
##########################

E_c@eval:3:295
ka@eval line 1 > Function:61:378
create@eval line 1 > Function:72:334
e@eval line 1 > Function:16:154
run@eval line 1 > Function:16:271
anonymous/<@eval line 1 > Function:74:128
g</<@eval:2:479
b@eval:1:409
anonymous/<@eval line 1 > Function:74:104
anonymous/<@eval line 1 > Function:14:77
TM_back@eval line 1 > Function:5:184
anonymous@eval line 1 > Function:4:11
g</<@eval:2:479
exec_fn@eval:1:105
@eval:11:224
R@eval:10:9
eval line 1 > Function:62:342
SyntaxError: redeclaration of formal parameter GM eval:1103:4 note: Previously declared at line 5, column 171eval:5:171

5 years ago

Same here in Opera as well.

5 years ago

v7.18.1 should fix it.

5 years ago

Wow that was fast! Thanks.

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

5 years ago

Thanks for the quick fix sir

5 years ago

After ESGST updated to v7.18.1 (script version) I can't see any sign of ESGST anymore. I use FireFox 56.0.2 64bit with Greasemonkey 3.17. Everything was fine right up until the update a few minutes ago.

5 years ago

Check the console (Ctrl + Shift + J) for errors.

5 years ago

Could it be a GreaseMonkey 3 vs 4 issue? It seems both Igel and me are still using 3.17.

5 years ago

GM ver 3.11 works for me, worth a try with that one?

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

When installing I get three ConstraintErrors: user-script-registry.js:206:6

store.put(details, userScript.uuid);
5 years ago

I get the same errors when installing v7.17.8 so that at least seems unrelated.

5 years ago

When reloading the page with v7.18.1 I get: TypeError: context is null

context.insertAdjacentHTML(position, html);
5 years ago

Yeah, that error is not helpful at all. Would you mind doing some debugging? I'm too lazy right now to install an older version of Firefox to test it (I don't even know if I can install 2 versions of Firefox side-by-side, worst-case scenario I would have to downgrade my current version).

If you could add console.log(_USER_INFO, browser, gm); before class ESGST, it might be the source of the issue.

5 years ago

All I get is:

Object {  } null Object { deleteValue: gm[key](), getValue: gm[key](), listValues: gm[key](), setValue: gm[key](), xmlHttpRequest: gm[key]() }
5 years ago

If you could determine where the error is originating from, that would help.

You could do something like this: add console.log("Test"); to a specific line in the script, see if "Test" appears in the console, if it does, move the console.log to another line somewhere below, if it doesn't, move the console.log to another line somewhere above. That would narrow down the problematic area.

Doing that inside of the functions async init() { and async loadFeatures() { would be better, since they are the functions that start the script.

5 years ago

So far I have it narrowed down to line 5604:

this.addStyle();
5 years ago

When I change line 38727 to this:

async setTheme() { console.log("Test23");

It doesn't show up.

Could that be cause of the async?

5 years ago

No.

But thanks, I already found the issue from your previous comment.

5 years ago

Good to hear!

5 years ago

Try v7.18.2.

5 years ago

Everything is working great again. Thanks!!! 👍 🙂

5 years ago

It works, thanks!

5 years ago

I just wanted to say, you are a fucking hero.

5 years ago

if you ever need to debug in a older firefox version: https://sourceforge.net/projects/portableapps/files/Mozilla%20Firefox%2C%20Portable%20Ed./ , you can install as many as you want and they won't interfere with your normal install, just don't try running more than one firefox version at the same time regardless of how it was installed(portable or normall), the website that produces the portable packages is: https://portableapps.com the first link is to the firefox folder on their sourceforge project as the website only lists the last version

5 years ago

No love for Linux. :(

But I don't think I'll be needing it, thanks.

5 years ago

And I don't get why I don't get any errors in the regular Console (F12) but only in the Ctrl + Shift + J one.

5 years ago

Firefox only shows errors in the browser console, which is the Ctrl + Shift + J one.

5 years ago

That's really weird, thanks.

5 years ago

Not really, I think it works like this: if the error is originated from the page itself (like an error on the SG side) it appears in the web console, because it's tied to that page, but if the error is originated from an add-on it appears in the browser console, because add-ons are "global".

5 years ago

Yeah, that makes sense.

Seems I've been looking in the wrong place when debugging my userscripts. lol

5 years ago

Well put. FWIW 7.18.1 runs fine for me on FF ESR 52.5 with GM 3.11

5 years ago

That's just confusing. I thought it had something to do with GM versions prior to v4, but guess not.

5 years ago

Still possible as they use GM 3.17

5 years ago

I've had this feature activated before, but after an update a while ago it disappeared. I kept trying to find it off and on, but after scouring the lists I can't seem to find it.

The feature:
When you click on the 'giveaway' button in the header bar, the dropdown menu lists 'create a giveaway' and all those buttons AND adds links to view wishlisted giveaways. Where is that setting now?

5 years ago

Ah, yes, that feature was moved to Custom Header/Footer Links.

5 years ago

Oh man! Thank you so so much c: It'll save me a lot of clicking. Thank you for your really wonderful tool c:

5 years ago

When you enable it, it should already come with some predefined links, didn't it?

5 years ago

Yes? Kind of? But not all the time. I saw it once and then deleted my edit... but now they're not there? Maybe it takes time to load? Huh

5 years ago

No, they should load immediately. See if there are errors in the console (Ctrl + Shift + J) when they don't appear.

5 years ago

I got an ERR_Blocked by client. Did I block something? Why did I see them once and then never again?

5 years ago

Not sure, re-check that the feature is enabled. That error might not be related.

5 years ago

Fixed it! I made a dumb mistake in the little options menu for that feature and delete the .* option in the custom link path... thing. My bad for taking up your time, thank you so much for helping me

5 years ago

Ah, ok. Just FYI, you don't need to edit that menu when you enable a feature, it's automatically enabled by default for all pages. You only need to edit it if you want to restrict where you want the feature to run.

5 years ago

Custom Header/Footer Links

5 years ago

TypeError: context is null esgst.js:39952:5
ESGST doesn't start when I load a page on a new background tab. The error above shows in console. After reloading the page it works again.
If I open the new tab before it is done loading the page, ESGST will keep working.

Using the extension on Firefox 59.

5 years ago

Try v7.18.2.

5 years ago

It's working correct now. Thanks for the quick fix!

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago*

Bug: 7.18.2 Active Discussions On Top/Sidebar when clicking refresh button.

Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: Illegal invocation
    at ESGST.checkMissingDiscussions (esgst.js:32775)
5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

5 years ago

Not sure what that's supposed to mean. :P

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

5 years ago

Maybe he's compensating for something 😉

5 years ago

Main Post Popup makes that better. ;)

5 years ago

The "Create Multiple Giveaways" thing keeps giving me "Invalid timezone offset" errors even though everything looks fine :-(

5 years ago

Can you take a screenshot of it? When does it happen?

5 years ago

I went to the new giveaway page, configured a GA to start now and end in a few days. then i clicked the import butten and put some games and keys. It imported it fine, creating little boxes. clicking on the create button opened the popup to confirm, but clicking yes turned the boxes red instead of green with the given error. I tried both with and without "precise start/end times/dates".

I might make some screenshots later, too lazy to get out some keys right now :P

5 years ago

If you set the start date for some minutes after, does it go through?

Precise start/end time/dates has nothing to do with this, it's related to templates.

5 years ago

I tried starting "now" and manually setting to 10 minutes from now to be safe. Both were set to end ~2 days later

5 years ago

And did they go through?

5 years ago

Oh, no, i tried both before reporting and both gave the same error.

5 years ago

cg did some changes in the creation process.

Do you use the userscript version? If so, could you copy/paste the latest dev version and see if it works now?

5 years ago

Yes, I use the userscript cause the chrome extension seems like hassle to use ;)

And I just tried it with the normal and the dev version and I can confirm that it was fixed for me by whatever you did!

5 years ago

cg no longer stores our timezones, so when you create a giveaway your timezone is now sent with the form, and the script wasn't prepared to deal with that. So I just had to add the timezone to the request.

But it shouldn't be fixed in the normal one though, only the dev one.

5 years ago

Yeah, I just tried the old one first to be sure it was not dependent on the settings. It's only the dev version that fixes it

5 years ago

Same problem here, used it as usual, got errors seen on screenshot.

View attached image.
5 years ago

Ok, thanks, I'll see if I can fix this as soon as possible, but you can drowngrade to the previous version temporarily to create the giveaways in the meantime.

5 years ago

Should be fixed.

5 years ago

same here

5 years ago

Should be fixed.

5 years ago

yeah. faced the same problem 💀

5 years ago

Should be fixed.

5 years ago

Thanks!) Everythis is OK now!

View attached image.
5 years ago

Almost forgot to post a bug I ran into today:

With endless scrolling enabled the second and further pages of the Entered Giveaway page no longer show odds; in previous versions of the script this worked just fine.

5 years ago

5 years ago

Thanks!

5 years ago

Should be fixed.

5 years ago

"Create Giveaway" just refreshes new giveaway page. Using templates. Creating through "Review Giveaway" works fine.

5 years ago

Should be fixed.

5 years ago

Yup, works now. Thanks!

5 years ago

Is it possible to export list of create multiple GAs links, which can be copy&paste?

View attached image.
5 years ago

Yes, check the feature Multi-Manager.

5 years ago

Got it. :) Thanks for help.

5 years ago

I switched to the extension and noticed the following:

On discussion threads with only one page, the heading ("nn Comments") doesn't stay fixed even though I have 1.12 Fixed Main Page Heading enabled.

When a thread has more than one page it does stay fixed.

Edit: did some more testing, seems it only happens when the height of the page isn't deemed quite high enough, it seems. Had a page of 6 comments with a scrollbar but no fixed heading, a page with 14 comments was enough to fix it.

5 years ago*

Yes, the page heading is only fixed if the height is more than 2 screens. It's not an extension thing.

5 years ago

Good to know, thanks!

5 years ago

This is no longer the case in v7.19.0, so the heading should be fixed in any height.

5 years ago

Thanks!

5 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.