Hi SG,

Happy holidays! We have a holiday event starting now and ending on December 25. The event allows users to create custom gift boxes which can be opened by others in the community to reveal giveaways. To get started, follow the below link to browse all of the available gift boxes, or to create one of your own.

https://www.steamgifts.com/happy-holidays

How it works

1. Creating a gift box and giveaway

• To setup a giveaway, use the link above and click "Create a Holiday Giveaway".
    • The giveaway will start immediately and end on December 25.
    • The giveaway will be available to the entire community, although region and contributor level restrictions can still be configured.
    • The giveaway will appear as invite only on your profile and not be visible throughout the site.
    • Once created, you'll see your gift box in the link above and users will have a chance to open it to access the giveaway.
  2. Opening gift boxes

• You can open 5 gift boxes each day until December 25.
    • When you open a gift box, you unlock the giveaway link and are able to enter the giveaway. Unlocked gift boxes are highlighted in green on the holiday page above, and you can freely revisit those gift boxes and giveaways.
    • You will see a notification if you cannot open a gift box. This could happen when the giveaway contained within is region restricted, when you do not meet the contributor level requirements, when you already own the game, when you do not own the base game for the DLC, when you have previously won the game, or when you have been blacklisted by the giveaway creator.
    • You cannot join a giveaway by only having the direct link. If you did not open the corresponding gift box, but received the link from someone else, you will see an error when attempting to view the giveaway.

No spoilers. Please do not share what games you found or what was contained inside of a gift box.

If you have any questions, please ask. I'm looking forward to seeing all the gift box designs. I'll add a few throughout the month with Steam gift cards and games as well. Have fun!

Updates

• You can now open 5 gift boxes each day, instead of one every 12 hours.
  • A dropdown menu named "Browse" has been added to the top of the screen. This allows you to filter gift boxes by "All", "Available" (only those you can open), "Opened", and "Created".
  • If you have a giveaway creator blacklisted, you'll still see their gift boxes on the "Available" page, and the button on the gift box page will display "Open Gift Box". You'll only be blocked when you attempt to open the gift box (this will not count towards your daily limit of 5 to open). This will prevent users from blacklisting a user, and then checking whether or not a gift box remains on the "Available" page to identify if they are the creator.
5 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

So... can people create boxes till 1 hour of the deadline remaining? Or is there a cutoff time?

5 years ago

Yep, one hour before the deadline the page to create holiday giveaways will go offline.

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 months ago.

5 years ago

Thanks for the fun event. Despite the technological issues with already-owned games I opened a ridiculous number of boxes for amazing games and the members of the community continue to show their generosity. Thanks to everyone who contributed! :)

5 years ago

Noice!!! I just opened 5 boxes today & scored 5 unowned games. The fact that my chances of winning are zilch is a different thing altogether. XD

5 years ago

Hey Y'all, Joyeux Noel!!!

I've been away from SteamGifts for quite a while now. It feels good to finally contribute whatever little I could to spread the Holiday spirit.

5 years ago

Can we do this again next year? Or come up with an excuse to do it sometime sooner (maybe for a week)?

5 years ago

Hey cg, IDK if anybody has asked this before or not, sorry, I caught on to the event very late but can this custom gift box display feature be implemented permanently?

5 years ago

You already opened 5 gift boxes today. Please wait 13 hours until tomorrow before opening another box ¯\( ᵔ ͜つ ᵔ )

5 years ago

Well, it's been a good run... good luck everyone! :)

5 years ago

So, ¿how many boxes is the max you can enter? I can't enter to all chances because already owned and deleted giveaways :D

5 years ago

I didn't participate in every box I opened, but I still hoped for a win. I won nothing though. Dammit. Next year then! Merry Christmas! Thank you for the event!

5 years ago

Open: 100
Enter:
Win: 1
XD

5 years ago

At least you won one :P

5 years ago

yeah xD I entered every day but won none ahah

5 years ago

entered 5 giveaways per day
won none
XD
thanks a lot for this awesome event, i'm happy to have contributed with 8-9 nice giveaways, sent the keys right now and to all HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!! <3 <3 <3

5 years ago

xD

5 years ago

3268 GAs created :D

I opened 112, entered in 5, didn't win anything :D

5 years ago

Honestly, I had more fun checking out the cool designs people came up with than anything.
Didn't win, but really don't care, it was such a cool and original event.

Very well done, cg. It was a great show of holiday spirit, and loads of fun. :D

5 years ago

Here's a silly question: now that the giveaways have ended, will it be possible to see who made them?

I didn't open any, but some of the boxes were amazing... It would be nice to know who to say "Wow!" to, if that makes any sense... :)

Merry Christmas! :) Thank you! :)

5 years ago

Ha! I was thinking about the same thing. Some boxes were amazing :)

5 years ago

I agree! It would be nice to know who created which amazing boxes, or which ones we missed.
Now I am curious what the designs for your amazing giveaways looked like lol

Or if nothing else, at least a showcase of best box designs, though not sure what the number should be. There were so many great ones!

5 years ago

Well, I'm super lazy, and I don't know how to do that stuff anyway, so presumably my games were much better than the boxes... Well, Just Cause 4 sounds pretty broken right now, but I didn't buy one for myself so I dunno... Anyway, assuming it's ok to spoil one's own giveaways:

https://www.steamgifts.com/happy-holidays/ocJqq = Sekiro™: Shadows Die Twice

https://www.steamgifts.com/happy-holidays/XVFCC = X4: Foundations

https://www.steamgifts.com/happy-holidays/PPLi1 = Just Cause 4

5 years ago

Well, we can still open boxes. Restrictions still apply though, making it not as useful as one'd hope to fistbump great box creators.

5 years ago

This was delightful! Thank you for the event.

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

5 years ago

Final balance:

Opened: 114
Entered: 27
Won: 01

Thanks cg and all contributors of this amazing event!

5 years ago

Open: -100
Enter: ~50
Win: 0
=|

Created: 1

5 years ago*

Great event, thanks for having it! I was happy to give a good few Christmas gifts this morning, and I even managed to win one myself! I hope we can do it again next year; if I could give one suggestion, though - could we make the default view "available" games so it's easier to get through the daily entries? Then if we want to browse the boxes we can choose to view all GAs. Thanks and Merry Christmas everyone!

5 years ago

In the end I won 2 games, a happy surprise after I didn't win anything from the community train 😋

Gave away 5 games. One of them only had 2 entries! Sorry to the person who lost on that one.

Thanks to all who participated!

5 years ago

Thank you all generous contributors and creator of this lovely idea! Its been a blast!

5 years ago

Opened: 115
Entered: 78
Won: 0
Created: 1

haha
Merry Christmas.

5 years ago

I'm not lucky with this kind of events, it seems... But it has been funny anyway! :D
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this, and to cg who created the event!

Happy holidays! 🎅

5 years ago

Received nothing Q_Q

5 years ago

Closed 4 years ago by cg.