Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017).

Cannot stand out from its legendary predecessors, but still may be fondly remembered in a few years time by Generation Z
(Star Wars: The Phantom Menace '99 was first hated, then became loved due to so many millenials growing up with it)

4 years ago

4 years ago

Batman : Hush.
Wow. It was AMAZING! DC always did have a way to make their animated movies awesome, with a few exceptions. Killing Joke was, pun intended, a BAD joke and Batman Ninja was almost as bad.

But in all intensive purposes, Hush was an awesome movie. I never read the book so I hope it was as close tot he source material as possible.

All in all, a good 8/10.

4 years ago

4 years ago

Power Rangers (2017)
Kinda forgettable superhero origin movie. And with 5 heros, not much room to flesh out the different characters. Liked how the movie's version of Rita is basically the previous Green Ranger gone bad. Didn't really like the look of Goldar or the Megazord.
It didn't suck, but I'm pretty sure I'll have forgotten it again in a few months time, so it gets a 6/10.

4 years ago

Now You Tell One (1926)

Fun silent short with great special effects.

4 years ago

4 years ago

Ad Astra, gave me some chills

4 years ago

The Laundromat - intermittently entertaining misfire about the Panama Papers scandal.

4 years ago

Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

I have no idea how to describe this movie. According to wikipedia it's a musical rock opera horror comedy film based loosely on The Phantom of the Opera, The Picture of Dorian Gray, and Faust.
Chaotic, but gripping story, nice music, great cast. What a unique movie! You won't see anything like it!

4 years ago

The Autopsy of Jane Doe - surprisingly good albeit a bit too predictable towards the end: 7/10

4 years ago

Brightburn (2019)

Not bad, but also not great. Interesting concept, good cast, nice gore, but the rest is nothing special.

4 years ago

Watching right now Fast and the Furious presents Hobbs and Shaw. Yeah, haters gonna hate Dwayne Johnson and FF Series or Spin Off, but i like all and dont care about the haters. ;-)

4 years ago

Burn after Reading (2008)

In the words of JK Simmons' character in this movie: "Jesus, what a clusterfuck."
Nice story, but yes. Kind of a cluster fuck of events.

4 years ago

That was a FANTASTIC movie.

Fun fact- the scenes in the gym were shot in a closed down Tower Records I used to shop at about 3 miles from where I live.

4 years ago

Nice. I've read that the gym looked so realistic that people actually went there wanting to work out.

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

4 years ago

Midsommar - after amazing Hereditary i had huge expectation for this film. Waited for Directors Cut especially and... it was big let-down. I mean, cinematography was great, there is really strong acting performance from Florence Pugh but plot was meh at best and other characters so unbelievably stupid and one-dimensional. Overall, its okay film but nothing really special

4 years ago

Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)

One of the great Universal horror classics. Very enjoyable movie.

4 years ago

Now see The Shape of Water. Watch the Creature in a modern take of it.

4 years ago

Coherence (2013)
A very mindbending suspense sci-fi chamber drama? Yeah, it is very hard to describe. Liked it.
7/10

4 years ago

Joker (2019)

Great as a Joker origin story. Even includes young Bruce Wayne and the scene where his parents get killed. Joaquin Phoenix is an excellent actor.

4 years ago

Agreed. It was fantastic.

4 years ago

• Rocketman 8/10 (didn't expect to enjoy this one considering that I hate musical films, dislike(d) Taron Egerton and has always been indifferent to Elton John, but it was surprisingly fun)
  • Memories of Murder 10/10 (my new all-time favourite Asian movie)
  • Dark Phoenix 4/10 (I really should stop watching movies just because they've got Fassbender in them: as much as I like him, the dude tends to participate in impressively bad stuff lately)
  • Mulholland Dr. 10/10 (last watched it maybe 10 years ago, and, well, it's still one of the best movies ever made)
  • Ad Astra 6/10 (I'm being generous because of Pitt's performance and quality of cinematography)
  • Joker 9/10 (a rare case of expectations fulfilled, amazingly good - especially for a mainstream movie. And while we are at it, Joaquin Phoenix is probably the single best actor of his generation)
  • Dragged Across Concrete 7/10 (pretty decent for a genre movie, but that's it, it's nothing more than another genre film)
  • The Ballad of Buster Scruggs 8/10 (absolutely loved the first and the last segment; on the other hand, there were also some fillers)
  • The Idiots 9/10 (I wouldn't call it one of my favourite von Triers's movies, but still, everything I love this director for is very much here)
  • The Souvenir 7/10 (this is a pretty mediocre British movie, I watched it because I was curious about Tilda Swinton's daughter - and yes, while the girl doesn't exactly look like a full-fledged adult actress yet (it's her debut after all), there's something genuine about her)
4 years ago*

Have yet to see a movie by Joon-ho Bong that I didn't like a lot and Memories of Murder is still one of my all time favorites. Haven't seen Dark Phoenix, but as you like Fassbinder, I could recommend Centurion, if you haven't seen it.

4 years ago

I have and though it was mediocre at best. Fell in love with Fassbender after watching Shame and A Dangerous Method a few days apart, and that's where I prefer to see him (in high quality independent movies, that is).
Can't argue about Bong Joon-ho though.

4 years ago

Well insofar as it's a popcorn movie too, I was more entertained than by some of his more recent fare. You've reminded me that I did see Hunger a ways back and I completely forgot that was Fassbender - early in his career and an amazing performance and transformation, so maybe I can be forgiven. Not seen Shame (and not sure that I want to, but I probably will anyway now) or A Dangerous Method - can't say no to a Cronenberg movie, so thanks for the recs :)

4 years ago

I'm Still Here (2010)

I've actually heard of the "Joaquin Phoenix stops acting" back when it happened.
This movie is weird. Difficult to watch. It's slow.

BUT

I can appreciate that Joaquin Phoenix is an excellent actor. This whole movie looks incredibly real but it's all just an act. Or is it?
It's definitely different. For better or worse, that's something everyone who's watching this movie has to decide for themselves.

And that final scene was strangely emotional. Also there were a lot of big movie stars in this, acting as themselves.

Overall I gotta say I not only enjoyed the experience but also liked the story and the performances. Weird way to get this all across, but that's art.

4 years ago

Ehhhh this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEoGrbKAyKE
Ngl i don't understand anything

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

4 years ago

You Were Never Really Here (2017)

Not the best or most original story, kinda similar to Taxi Driver but still very enjoyable. Joaquin Phoenix is an excellent actor. Good psychological thriller. Fantastically shot.
That scene where Joe lies down on the floor next to the dying agent and begins singing was fascinating. The lake scene reminded me a lot of the ending from I'm still here.

!Spoiler for this movie and for Joker below!
In this movie Joaquin Phoenix's character's mother also dies with a pillow on her face, like in Joker. But here she gets shot through the pillow and not just suffocated with it.

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

4 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.