Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Scott of the Antarctic (1948)

British adventure film. Of course this is a fictionalized retelling of the events you're able to see way better in the documentary, so there is a lot of stuff that's just not as engaging. They're are also a lot of scenes of the expedition party just walking around. This movie might be good on its own (nice use of stock footage from Graham Land on the Antarctic Peninsula) but if you've seen the documentary before, this just can't compare. Sure, it has Christopher Lee in one of his first movie roles and definitely some interesting scenes but that can't make this movie great. Yes, it's good enough but I'd actually recommend the documentary over this.

2 years ago

Das Leben der Anderen - 8/10

2 years ago

Masterpiece!

2 years ago

yup and its scary to know that surveillance is still common in a lot of countries :)

2 years ago

Saw uncharted, not impressed tbh :/

2 years ago

The Book Thief (2013)

American-german war drama film. It's about a young girl living with her adoptive German family during the Nazi era. When her foster father teaches her how to read she begins "borrowing" books and sharing them with the Jewish refugee being sheltered in their home. Good performances, interesting mix of german and english with german and english-speaking actors. Oh, and it's also narrated by Death, so there's an interesting perspective. Score by John Williams who was nominated for an Oscar for it. Overall it's a good movie but I feel like the book it's based on is even better. Definitely gotta check that out.

2 years ago*

The book is even better but the movie adaptation, which was not an easy task, does it justice in its own way, imo.
The acting from the kids was especially good considering the material and that's the kind of things that can make or break a movie with such a hefty script. The cast really is top notch and Roger Allam's voice is perfect for the narrator.

2 years ago

To Have and Have Not (1944)

Very loosely based on Hemingway but a good watch regardless, if only for Bacall's first screen role. Bogart's character, the cynical adventurer getting swept up into helping the French resistance, is very reminiscent of Rick in Casablanca but the plot is tight and the supporting characters are fun.
Took me quite a while to check that one out but I think I'll look into more Howard Hawks movies. I have only seen a few and they might not have been his best so I was staying away in general.

2 years ago

Moonfall - 4/10

2 years ago

I STILL want to see this.

2 years ago

watch it and pretend its a comedy :D

2 years ago

I also would like to see, since I can't find any information, if it has anything to do with the book of the same title and possibly premises, which I read a while back.

2 years ago

this movie is based off the novel "Who built the moon?" :)

2 years ago

The Brood. It was okay, not enough body horror :')

2 years ago

Deep Rising (1998)

American action horror film. Surprisingly good looking for a '90s creature feature, but then I read that ILM was responsible for the special effects and Rob Bottin (who worked on The Thing and RoboCop for example) was the special makeup effects designer and also handled the creature design so I'm not that surprised anymore. The story is nothing outstanding, but you know what you're getting. There's also a nice little cliffhanger at the end where the remaining survivors land on what turns out to actually be Skull Island, because there was a King Kong movie planned in the late '90s that would've tied in to this. But nothing came of that specific production, so the cliffhanger is pretty much only there to remind you of what could've been.
Good cast (Famke Janssen, Wes Studi, Jason Flemyng, Cliff Curtis, Djimon Hounsou and more). Yeah, so it's a very fun and entertaining movie which I can definitely recommend for those reasons.

2 years ago

Glad to see that I'm not the only one that actually liked this movie.

2 years ago

dont look up
leonardo dicaprio is just a beast when it comes to movies, also in his role in this one.
nontheless the movie itself was mediocre at best.
:shrug:

2 years ago

The Bubble (2022)

American meta comedy film. It's a silly movie and it's not very good, but I feel like that's exactly what they were trying to make. It did get a lot of bad reviews but look at the subject matter of this movie. They're making a shitty movie in this movie, it's not like you can make a great movie about making a shitty movie. EDIT: Not every movie about making a shitty movie can be great. There are some that are. This isn't one of those. Very good cast (Karen Gillan, Pedro Pascal, David Duchovny, Keegan-Michael Key, Fred Armisen, Kate McKinnon, Peter Serafinowicz, Maria Bakalova and many more, including some quite big surprises). All people who can act. Sure, it might feel like it at points, but it's not like they suddenly forgot how to act. That's the point. Yes, this is a dumb (but fun) movie but if you just want some escapism, that's exactly what you're getting with this one. Overall I can recommend this actually. Just know what you're getting into. Don't expect the best movie of the year and it's gonna be alright.

2 years ago*

"it's not like you can make a great movie about making a shitty movie"

One Cut of The Dead/American Movie say otherwise

2 years ago

Okay, you're right. Haven't seen American Movie but One Cut of The Dead was great.

2 years ago

Only the Dead - 8/10

2 years ago

The Two Popes (2019)

British-american-italian-argentinian biographical drama film. Rewatched this yesterday and it's still very good.

2 years ago

Antlers (2021)

American supernatural horror film. I can see what it was trying to do, but for me it never really got there. It should've been scary, exciting, disturbing and more, but mostly it was just boring. The story is good, but again, they could've gone further into it. I mean the legend of the wendigo is already really fascinating, so I don't really understand how they could make a movie about it that's so boring to watch. Yeah, the creature design is amazing (and it was done mostly practical) but that's about it. Really feels like they only focussed on making a cool creature but forgot to write a good story around it. Even at under 100 minutes this movie dragged on. Overall I can't recommend this.

2 years ago*

I did warn everybody that the movie was awful.

2 years ago

Yeah. I mean I really liked the amazing creature work in this, but why couldn't they just make a better movie around it?

2 years ago

2 years ago

The Ten Commandments - 6/10

2 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

2 years ago

Have you seen the original Murder on the Orient Express as well? So much better than the new one.

2 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

2 years ago

Fantasy Island (2020)

American supernatural horror film. Surprisingly, this was actually good. I had the chance to watch it at the cinema when it came out, but I passed on that. Maybe I shouldn't have. It's actually a fun little popcorn movie. Sure, it's nothing outstanding or anything but if you just want some fun, entertaining movie with a few twists this is what you're looking for. Again, it's not a great movie but it definitely doesn't deserve a rating that low. Go watch it, you might actually enjoy it.

2 years ago

Darkman (1990)

American superhero film. It's actually very good for what it is. But then again, being written and directed by Sam Raimi (which gets my hopes up for the upcoming Dr. Strange movie) that's not very surprising. Plus a good cast (Liam Neeson, Frances McDormand and more), great effects and an interesting story. It's kind of a mix between the Universal horror movies from the 30s, The Phantom of the Opera, The Elephant Man and a bit of Batman maybe. The score is by Danny Elfman, so it's great. This movie is highly entertaining, so if you want to watch a superhero movie with action, horror and sci-fi elements, here it is. Definitely recommended!

2 years ago

Darkman II: The Return of Durant (1995)

American superhero film. First of all, this is a direct-to-video sequel of the original Darkman. Neither Liam Neeson nor Frances McDormand are in this movie. Sam Raimi didn't direct this either, he just produced it. But honestly, it's not as bad as I thought it would be. The main character is played by Arnold Vosloo this time and while I didn't recognize his name and you might not either, you'll probably recognize his face. He played the mummy in The Mummy (1999) and The Mummy Returns (2001). So no, he's not a complete unknown and can definitely act his way through this movie. They should've provided an explanation on why the character looks so much different now but after a while you forget about that and just enjoy the movie. And yeah, it's definitely entertaining. Especially Larry Drake as Robert G. Durant, who's back in this movie after what definitely would've been a fatal accident (the other characters even commented on that fact themselves) in the first movie, was a delight to watch again. So overall I'd say... it's not as bad as expected, considering this was direct-to-video. Recommended!

2 years ago

He also played Zartan in the GI Joe movies and a sniper who appeared in three episodes of Bones. His character killed one of the more interesting assistant's they used on the show. Very sad scene.

2 years ago

2 years ago

2 years ago

13 Hours - 7/10

2 years ago

Darkman III: Die Darkman Die (1996)

American superhero film. This direct-to-video sequel surprisingly also isn't as bad at I would've expected after watching the original Darkman (1990). Sure, it might be the weakest of the trilogy, but it's still entertaining. Interesting story, albeit without Larry Drake's Robert G. Durant this time, who definitely died in the last movie. For real this time. Funny thing is, there's a kind of '90s mystery tv show intro (I was a respectable scientist, then this happened to me, now I am stealing money from criminals) to this movie that felt strangely familiar, but I can't put my finger on where I know something like that from. Well, anyway. That intro was also in the second movie so it made me feel like this could've been a nice series. Like the first movie being just that, and these two sequels being episodes of a spin-off series. Honestly, Arnold Vosloo was very good in that role. Didn't mind him as much as I thought I would. So overall, I'm definitely happy I decided to watch these two sequels as well, they're a lot of fun. Can definitely recommend the whole trilogy.

2 years ago

The Outfit - 6/10

2 years ago

The Bridge on the River Kwai - 7/10

2 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.