Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi. I'm watching them to celebrate May the 4th be with you
Not that I need an excuse, but I might as well make one. I love Star Wars.

And yeah, I also didn't like that Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark movie.

1 year ago

Der Name der Rose - 7/10

1 year ago

The last one was probably... The Batman (I think?)
I'm a lover and a fan of detective and thriller movies and I also fucking love the dark knight series, but I seriously didn't like this movie as much as I expected going into it
It took a direct approach to that genre, but couldn't reach the tension and suspense that Se7en or Prisoners brings. Also, the movie was waaay too long.
Paul Dano is a great riddler tho
6/10

Also I recently watched X (2022) but can't remember if it was the last one, but I really liked it. The opening shot that mimics a 4:3 aspect ratio is awesome. And Mia Goth did a great job playing both the old lady and one of the movie stars!
8/10

1 year ago*

Annette (2021)

French musical drama film. Very experimental and quite surreal at points, but that's just Leos Carax' style. If you've watched and enjoyed any of his other movies before, you'll love this one. If you're new to Carax this might be too "artsy" for you. It could be described as a surreal 70's rock opera, but considering that the Sparks wrote all the songs for this that definitely makes sense. If you're a fan of Carax and Sparks this movie is definitely for you. Otherwise maybe not. But everyone involved delivered fantastic performances. Simon Helberg, for example. Definitely the best acting I've ever seen from him. Adam Driver is always great and this one is no exception. Do I even need to talk about how great Marion Cotillard is? And the 7 year old Devyn McDowell who's playing the title character also did an amazing job. Overall I still feel like you should watch it. Either you'll absolutely love it or you won't. Take the risk.

1 year ago

We're All Going to the World's Fair (2021)

American coming-of-age horror drama film. It just doesn't really go anywhere. Kind of an interesting premise but that's about it. Can't recommend.

1 year ago

Everything, Everywhere, All At Once

Mixed feelings about this one really. If there was ever a movie that demonstrated more plainly that two directors/writers sometimes is one too many, it's this one.
There was definitely something about the movie, something original and a real human story with interesting philosophical themes but it's so deeply buried under over the top silliness for 10 year olds, you really have to want to hold on to it to see it through to the end.
Great performances though and some fun action. I'm glad I saw it but I wouldn't recommend it or watch it again.

1 year ago

Side Effects (2013)

American psychological thriller film. It's about a woman who is prescribed experimental drugs by psychiatrists after her husband is released from prison. But they have severe side effects. Or do they? Great cast (Rooney Mara, Channing Tatum, Jude Law, Catherine Zeta-Jones and more). It's genuinely a very good thriller, yet one you rarely see anyone talk about even though it was directed by Steven Soderbergh. Definitely one I can recommend.

1 year ago

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022)

American superhero film. Watched this in the cinema yesterday. First of all, it's a Sam Raimi movie with a Danny Elfman score, so you should watch it for that alone. Then we have sorcery vs witchcraft. Suprisingly not a lot of multiverse stuff. Sure, we get to see a few other universes but not that many. Lots of cool new characters but also cool old ones (characters we know played by new actors, characters we know played by old actors, characters we haven't seen in live-action yet). Some people said this would be a straight-up horror movie, which it wasn't. It is definitely more horror than anything else in the MCU, though. One scene for example (just a generic monster fight, nothing spoilery) ended with an eyeball getting removed. I'm sure that would've been very different in other MCU movies these last few years. You can definitely see Sam Raimi's influence. Overall it's entertaining and I'm sure it will make them a lot of money. Deservedly so. Doctor Strange has always been more interesting to me than Iron Man or Captain America or other more basic superheroes like that. And this is the movie where he shines the most. I can definitely recommend it. I do wish they would've used Bruce Campbell better but at least he was in this movie at all. Although in the cinema where I watched it someone didn't recognize the guy and said out loud "is that Sam Raimi?". So maybe he's sadly not as iconic to the superhero community as he is to the horror community for example.

1 year ago

Cinema Paradiso (1988)

Italian coming-of-age drama film. Well, for my birthday I wanted to watch something I'm sure I'll love. Last year it was Alien (1979) (followed by the rest of the franchise), the year before it was Oldboy (2003). So this year I decided to finally watch Cinema Paradiso. And the only thing I can say is... it's a masterpiece. If you love cinema you'll love Cinema Paradiso. It's absolutely one of the greatest movies of all time.
(I did watch the 173 minute Director's Cut, so I can't say anything about the theatrical cut but I assume this one would've been better anyway.)

1 year ago*

I remember watching it in my Italian class and tearing up in front of everyone, which was fine since they probably couldn't see me crying through their tears.
The word masterpiece gets thrown around a lot but there are movies that are worth the label and this one definitely is.

1 year ago

City Hall (1996)

American suspense drama film. Great cast (Al Pacino, John Cusack, Bridget Fonda, Martin Landau, Danny Aiello and more). Interesting story about an investigation and unexpectedly far-reaching consequences. Best thing about this one is Al Pacino, the rest is kinda forgettable, sadly.

1 year ago

In the Name of the Law (1949)

Italian mafia drama film. Yes, I watched this because I've seen a bit of it in Cinema Paradiso on my birthday and got curious. It's actually a good movie, albeit a bit lengthy at times. Interesting story (A young, by-the-book judge is appointed to a Sicilian village controlled by corrupt leaders and the Mafia.) with a nice setting as well. Can recommend.

1 year ago

The Bad Guys - 8/10

1 year ago

The White Tiger (2021)

American-indian crime drama film. Rewatched this one yesterday and it's still very good. If you haven't seen it, definitely go and check it out.

1 year ago

The House (2022)

British adult stop-motion animated anthology film. Three segments in three different times all playing in the same house. Not really horror, but definitely has some horror element. All three segments have an eerie, surreal atmosphere. The stop-motion animation looks really good. Can recommend.

1 year ago

The Cleanse (2016)

American dark fantasy comedy film. Interesting premise (people going on a cleanse and all that bad stuff is coming out as a little creature) but they could've done more with it. It was entertaining but I can see why it's not higher rated.

1 year ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 10 months ago.

1 year ago

The Duke (2020)

British comedy-drama film. Very good movie, based on the 1961 theft of the Portrait of the Duke of Wellington. Starring Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren and more. It's just one of those british feelgood movies. Can recommend.

1 year ago

The Secret World of Arrietty (2012)

Basically Thumbelina but by Studio Ghibli. Beautiful movie with a wonderful soundtrack, but their were no truly stand out moments in terms of animation or writing. 7.5/10.

1 year ago

How I Became a Superhero (2020)

French sci-fi thriller film. It's surprisingly good. It's set in an alternate reality where superheroes are a normal thing. A bit like in The Boys, just not that big. Some people just have superhuman abilities. That's it. This movie is kind of like Project Power (2020) but in french and better. It's nothing revolutionary but it has pretty good performances, some cool fights, decent visuals and nice cinematography. It's also much more human than other superhero movies. Definitely something I can recommend.

1 year ago*

Life Stinks (1991)

American comedy film. I don't know why it flopped back when it came out, I actually enjoyed it a lot. Billionaire Goddard Bolt (played by Mel Brooks, who wrote, produced and directed this movie) has his eye on a the slum of Los Angeles, with the intent of tearing it down. So when the city sold it he bought half of it. His biggest rival Vance Crasswell (played by Jeffrey Tambor) bought the other half. Both of course want the whole thing, so they make a bet. If Bolt can live in the slum for a month without any money and without telling people who he is, he'll get it all. If not Craswell will get it. The movie's still a comedy but it also makes you think about the problem of homelessness a lot. And how privileged you are compared to someone who lives in the street. Overall this one's a lot better than it might seem at first. Just a really charming movie that I can definitely recommend.

1 year ago

The 8th Night (2021)

South Korean mystery-thriller film. It's a bit too fast paced. There's a lot happening for an under 2h runtime. But if you do like a mystical, horror-action movie this one's for you. Great atmosphere, interesting story, overall a good movie. Can recommend.

1 year ago

The Northman (2022)

American epic historical fiction film. Sure, it wasn't the best but the cinematography was very nice, the story was engaging (albeit not super original), the performances were good and the movie wasn't too long nor too short for what it was. I definitely enjoyed it. Recommended!

1 year ago

Moonfall (2022)

You know, it was actually REALLY GOOD! I love Roland Emerich's movies such as the Day After Tomorrow.,

A good 7.5/10 from me.

1 year ago

The northman.

Amazing

1 year ago

Citizen Kane (1941)

American drama film. Rewatched this yesterday. Still don't think it's the best movie ever made but for what it is, it's gotta be pretty close. It might not be THE best movie of all time but it's still a masterpiece. It's certainly very innovative for the time. Highly recommended!

1 year ago

The direction alone is worth the watch, just to see where most directors got their tricks.

1 year ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.