ETA: Well, we've reached a total count of 100 now! (Or rather, 108, because it passed the 100 mark in the middle of the night and I didn't want to cut anyone off who commented before I updated this.) So I'll be closing the recruitment here. The giveaways will still remain open until the 6th though, so feel free to keep entering those! ^^

First, let's get to what everyone really came here for: the giveaways that are open to everyone, for Carmageddon: Max Damage and Day of Infamy.

Now that that's out of the way, I've decided to do my first whitelist recruitment and giveaway! The giveaway is for Graveyard Keeper. I've really enjoyed the small bit I've gotten to play myself and saw that it was pretty high up on the community wishlist, so I wanted to share the fun!

The giveaways are open until October 6th at 8:00AM PST, and WL recruitment will close whenever the total count gets to 100, because I want people to actually have a shot at winning any WL giveaways I do. To get onto my whitelist, the rules are simple:

1. You have to have at least a 1:4 ratio of given : received, in terms of either number of games or CV.
  2. Tell me about some media that you're currently obsessed with. It doesn't matter if it's a game, an anime, a book, etc etc. Why do you love it so much, and who would you recommend it to?

In sticking with the cannibalism theme of Graveyard Keeper, here's mine: Hannibal. I'm currently working on my 4th watch of the show, and the only thing I've watched more than that is Buffy: the Vampire Slayer, which I've been into since I was 10. I've always loved horror movies, so Hannibal was pretty high on my to-watch list when it came out. When I finally got around to it, I enjoyed it even more than expected for the horror, the psychological aspects (I have a BA in psychology and still adore my major, so that was guaranteed to interest me), the mysteries, and the incredibly complex and twisted relationships and character development. I'd highly recommend this show to anyone who enjoys (or at least doesn't mind) gore and other forms of horror, mind games, crime/mystery shows, and queer relationships of both the normalish (as normal as this show can get) and abusive/power imbalance variety.

What's yours? (And if you've read this far, here's a bonus giveaway open to all.)

Oh, and if you're blacklisted, it's most likely because you won one of my giveaways and had a very low given : received ratio at the time. If that's changed since then, please let me know and I'll remove you.

5 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

i just wrote a long paragraph but accidentally it removed when i click the submit comment button damn

5 years ago

i'm too lazy to write it again :3

5 years ago

but shortly i can say that i'm obsessed with elder scrolls online and yakuza 0 nowadays
whitelist me

5 years ago

I've been wanting to get into the Elder Scrolls Online lately too, and I haven't played a Yakuza game before but I'm definitely interested in them ^^
Added!

5 years ago

Won't mind a chance.

Currently binging The Good Place. It's a serialized comedy series set in the after life. There's philosophical discussion as well as some absurdity in the show. Definitely different from the usual set up of a group of friends(or family members), with a surprising amount of free time and money, just hanging out.

5 years ago

Hmm that sounds interesting! I think I've heard the title before, but never knew much about it. I'll have to look into it some more!
Added! :)

5 years ago

Hi there :) do I fit the ratio?

I'm currently watching House of Cards which I highly recommend, the writing is really well done. Many of the things the characters say need to be rewatched to fully appreciate it. Thanks :)

5 years ago

I'm sorry, you don't. I appreciate the rec, though!
One of my best friends loves House of Cards too, so it's been on my list for a while. And I love when you catch hints or understand the deeper meaning of something that you didn't get the first time around--that's part of why I've rewatched Hannibal so many times, because I notice new things or make connections that I didn't before every time I watch it ^^

5 years ago

That's okay thank you for the chance :) I've watched Hannibal twice myself, I love the show. Totally agree that it's very rewatchable, it was a different experience the second time

5 years ago

I was absolutely obsessed with Hannibal a while back, I really hope they make a fourth season. I might have to binge it again soon now that you've brought it up :P

I've had it my goal to 100% all of my wins, the one that took me by surprise though is AngerForce: Reloaded. I've been obsessed with beating it this past week or so. It's so simple, but it's really tough. The art is really awesome too. I'll screw up, have to start all over, but assure myself I'll do better that round. Just one. More. Game.

5 years ago

Well, far be it from me to discourage you from rewatching an old favorite if you really want to... XD (Bryan Fuller and one of the writers posted to twitter a few months ago about the fact that they were working on season 4, so it's definitely in the works... But they've also said that it probably won't come out until 2021-2022 :/ )
That's an awesome goal to have, and I wish I had that kind of commitment! (I'll definitely play all of the games I've won eventually, but... it might take me quite a while haha) The "just one more round" kind of games are simultaneously the best and the worst kind ^^

5 years ago

Currently I'm not obsessed with anything, but here is some good music:
Soviet Wave

5 years ago

Thank you, it's always fun to hear the music people enjoy too!

5 years ago

Permission to join your WL. I’m obsessed with ARPGs. I’ve played Torchlight 2, Titan Quest, Grim Dawn and am currently playing Path of Exile and waiting to buy Monster Hunter: World.

5 years ago

Ooh all on my list too, although the only one I've started on is Monster: Hunter World and I haven't gotten very far in it.

5 years ago

Thank you kindly sir!

5 years ago

The thing that keeps drawing me in right now is game randomizers. In particular Link to the Past with items and enemies randomized.

5 years ago

Hmm I've never used any randomizers myself, but I have a friend who loves it, especially with LoZ games, and I can definitely see the appeal ^^

5 years ago

Obsession's a pretty strong term to use! But I guess it would be games like paladins, overwatch? Somehow everyone around me is playing these games (even in class) so of course, I got dragged in and I don't mind it a single bit xD

5 years ago

Haha they do seem to be everywhere! I got Overwatch from the Humble Monthly early unlock and decided to finally give it a try after having friends nagging me about it ever since it came out... Only to discover that it runs like a potato on my weak little laptop :( I'm planning to get a new computer soonish though (undecided if laptop or desktop), so... Fingers crossed!

5 years ago

aww, hope you can get your new computer soon! then maybe youll get addicted as well xD

5 years ago

Watching Season 1 of Lost in space. It's well done and interesting to compare the changes from the original TV series and then the movie.

Thanks for your consideration

5 years ago

Ooh I haven't seen that one before, but it looks interesting! Any kind of dangerous space adventure fiction always reminds me of Remnants, a somewhat disturbing book series that I got really into as a kid but never got the chance to finish. K.A. Applegate has a knack for creating children's books that aren't actually all that kid-friendly though, so I'd definitely still recommend it as an adult if it looks like something you might be interested in XD;

5 years ago

Thanks

5 years ago

Hi sis. How are you? I am trying stop playing Rainbow Six...there are so many games that I want to play and I am stuck in this hell of game. =(
Anyway, thank you for the opportunity. ^^

5 years ago

Haha I know how that can be! I seem to keep going back to the same few games no matter how much I want to try new ones!

5 years ago

Added back. Thank you Becca! ^^

5 years ago

I like to apply for your whitelist :)

Lately i been watching alot of science stuff/documents on Netflix. Like
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey,
How the Universe Works and
The Beginning and End of the Universe :)

5 years ago*

Ooh, nice! I take it you're really interested in space? XD

5 years ago

Yeah lol, a lil bit :P

5 years ago*

I've been really enjoying the The Stormlight Archive series of books by Brandon Sanderson lately. The first two books were great (The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance). I haven't started Oathbringer yet.

5 years ago

Ooh, looks like an interesting series, I'll have to look into it a little further!

5 years ago

Applying for WL

Unfortunately, because of life reasons I can't enjoy any obsessions right now. But when I can I want to finish Pillars of Eternity, DeusEx Mankind Divided, Skyrim and watch rest of Fringe, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones and then read rest of Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy and those Dan Brown books I have.......

5 years ago*

Haha sounds like I'm not the only one here with a pretty big backlog! And almost all of those are on mine as well! I hope you get some time to enjoy them soon!
Added :)

5 years ago

5 years ago

Not applying because i cant give much atm...

BUT i realy like H.P. Lovecraft stuff especially the Cthulhu mythos...

View attached image.
5 years ago

Ooh I love Lovecraftian stuff! Or rather, I love the things I've played and read that were inspired by Lovecraft... Somehow, I've never gotten around to reading any of the original material. I should really do that soon lol

5 years ago

There are some good movies if you are able to watch older movies... 70s till 90s

5 years ago

I'd like to apply for your whitelist.

While I'm not precisely obsessing over anything right now, the closest it can come to it is how much I love Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (the anime, I haven't read the manga yet). It has pretty much all the good stuff a good shounen has without their usual flaws, and everything is so over the top it's great. I can't wait to watch Golden Wind (it starts next week)

5 years ago

I've heard a lot of good things about that anime, but I haven't gotten around to watching it myself yet. I'm glad you enjoy it though, and hopefully I'll get there someday! XD

5 years ago

Thanks!

5 years ago

Just finished finally watching Lost. I now can understand why the series was so hyped back when it was current :D

5 years ago

Ah yes, the show that is forever doomed to remain on my backlog for some reason... Someday I'll catch up with everyone else and see why it's so loved! XD

5 years ago

I barely pass! You can pick the requirement, as I barely pass both of them. Requesting a spot. :)

I noticed you watch anime, so I'd like to recommend Youjo Senki. A male HR middle manager in modern Japan, rational and utilitarian to the extreme, gets transferred to an alternate Earth, where he is reborn (with all his memories) as a girl with especially strong magic powers (that Earth has magic) in something of a World War Germany. And this little girl, Tanya Degurechaff, sets out to join the military in order to earn herself a comfortable position in the rear. Armed with all her modern theories that are yet to debut in that older world, this cold, calculating supersoldier embraces this new career placing the utmost priority on efficiency. She is likely to forever change the entire way war is fought. And I'm hyping the next LN volume like you have no idea. :D

5 years ago

Huh. I've never heard of that one before, surprisingly. I'm not usually one for anything about war, but that definitely looks interesting, I'll have to check it out!

5 years ago

Thank you! :)

5 years ago

Social media?

Nah, I should really get back to reading some 40k books...

5 years ago

I've had the 40k books recommended to me by a lot of people over the years, I definitely need to check them out sometime!

5 years ago

My obsession currently?
I'd say Rainbow Six Siege.
If Counter Strike bored you this is a very good game. Large variety of guns, characters, maps.

View attached image.
5 years ago

I'm not a big FPS fan myself, but I'm glad so many people seem to be enjoying Rainbow Six Siege! ^^

5 years ago

Thanks.

5 years ago

As you may guess from my avatar, Father Ted is one of the few series that is immediately put on my local drive upon the purchase of a new notebook / desktop PC. It is an excellent comedy with very unique humour, and you may miss much of the deeper-lying sarcasm if you merely concentrate on the cheap laughs (well, comparatively cheap - it is still tremendously funny without the underlying tones). Also, having been brought up in a catholic environment and taught in a catholic school, I can clearly identify many superficial behaviour patterns that are exaggerated in the show - although not even that much, just enough to point them out.

The setting on fictitious Craggy Island and the grand Irish accent just put the icing on the cake. Highly recommended. :)

5 years ago

Ooh, I've heard of Father Ted before but never knew much about it! Thanks for the rec ^^

5 years ago

Definitely a must-see show. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did and still do. :)

5 years ago

Hmmm... I'm currently playing Witcher 3 and i aM sUPER oBSESSED! i need a man like geralt irl :(
(here is permission to join your wl :^)

5 years ago

A lot of people definitely seem to love the Witcher series, and it's definitely got pretty high priority in my backlog! ^^

5 years ago

Whitelists! I like feeling special!

But the hell with my obsession, lets talk about yours! Or, well, lets talk about where our interests intersect. I don't know if I'd feel proper proclaiming absolute devotion towards Hannibal given that I've still yet to finish the third season after trying a fresh start multiple times. But then again... maybe the block says even more about my love for the show and it exists as a manifestation of my obsession for the show taken to extremes. If there's one thing to say about Hannibal: not only did it defy every expectations of mine, but it was just straight up fucking bold.

I was absolutely crestfallen when I learned the show would not make it past that third season. Bryan Fuller's show bible had so much more to offer with at least seven seasons of material prepared by a man who never normally maps out anything. This show I once fully presumed to be building up to Red Dragon as the second season (and assumed so right up until the finale of the first) was crazily enough never going to touch that material until season four. Absolute insanity. There were three seasons of original creation (mixed with background and history elaborated by the books) to be followed by three seasons of partial adaptation (Red Dragon, Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal) to be concluded by one season of his sole creation, finalizing the saga into it's most ultimate interpretation. While first two seasons were in line with that vision, a pileup of unfortunate circumstances (MGM's stupid plan for their own Clarice Starling show) and concerns of cancellation obviously required a few audibles to that vision. While I can say without a doubt I would've still loved his six season revision had we gotten that at least, there's something about the third season, and especially now knowing that the whole vision won't be realized, that holds me back. .

I still remember my feelings when I first heard the show was in the works. Without a glance I already knew it was some clearly mass-audience excrement and even Bryan Fuller's vision wouldn't save what was clearly an IP retread for brand recognition on yet another procedural. After all, what more could they even say or explore that Michael Mann didn't already do better with Manhunter? And how could this shitty NETWORK television show ever compete with the artistic integrity, vivid cinematography, and exquisite soundtrack perfectly bringing life to every scene? They were going toe to toe with all the same characters and inevitably going to meet up where Red Dragons rests for a direct showdown.

The pilot changed everything. That was all it took. After that I was completely changed and just blown away with how much I'd underestimated Bryan Fuller even when so familiar with his genius already. To this very day I am still a MASSIVE fan of Manhunter if you can't tell (and highly recommend checking it out as well if you haven't), but the comparison simply didn't matter anymore. It was clear that both auteurs had mined the same material to pursue their own realizations, resulting in two distinct and genius takes which coexist without ever demanding comparison or contest. That alone is an incredibly achievement. It's not something most adaptations/remakes/revisions manage to do and the earlier "Red Dragon" adaptation certainly begs comparison to both works.

After catching that pilot, I even started watching the show live (or week to week as it aired anyway) and only stopped shortly after the third season started. Though I usually loathe procedurals and mostly consider them a relic predating television's renaissance (aside from anthology shows oddly enough) there was something about the intersection of the continuing plot with each obscene killer-of-the-week that simply worked. Each naturally served to reflect the ongoing story development, and whatever concerns of "filler" might exist were largely irrelevant anyway when each also served as a new visual masterpiece.

For a show that was generally grounded realistically, you just didn't question the absurdity of so many abstract killers existing and performing these elaborate and marvelous murder masterpieces. The extreme style and vivid imagery of every crime-scene acts as a portal to another dimension where the bounds of reality are stretched until the down-to-earth environment coexist with whatever logical impracticality and absurdities would be necessary to generate such surreal beauty. Never has gore and viscera been so goddamn beautiful. Each crime-scene truly was a piece of art.

It's kind of astonishing the show was actually made on network TV, though I"m certain that it was the absolute artistry of each murder that allowed them to get away with so much and push the NBC censors so far. On a level you know the content is objectionable, but at the same time its so engrossing that you forget what you're actually looking at it. I think it would've been better that Hannibal were born on a Network like FX, HBO, or a streaming service rather than prime time network television since more important to let a work like this be told without petty social constraints. There are clearly times where nudity and sexuality had been toned done or obscured to fit their broadcasting standards. Strangely enough though, I actually don't think the show would've ended up much differently. Particularly in terms of plot and events, I think there's little more Fuller would've done differently and the show was inherently as violent as ever intended since whatever horror and gore would always playout through a symphony of internal organs.

If you haven't seen Bryan Fuller's other stuff you should definitely check it all out. He's very much an auteur imprinting his vision and style on everything he touches. Generally his stuff is more like "Dead Like Me" where its whimsical first with the dark and macabre stuff layered around it that, rather than the reverse like Hannibal where its incredibly dark and macabre that's coated in whimsy and black-humor. Either way, its a consistent set of traits which you'll likely appreciate if you appreciate any of his stuff. Unfortunately, few others have the refinement to appreciate his vision, and premature cancellation isn't just a common occurrence for his works and more like their shadow.

If you love to hate life for what might've bee but will never be, then you should really check out his cancelled "Munsters" reboot that even got greenlit, "1313 Mockingbird Lane." Its another idea that sounds fucking dreadful yet manages to be as great in realization as it sounds terrible in concept. It's a major shame we never saw a real season, but you can still find the pilot online and I'm thankful we at least have that at least.

5 years ago*

Wow. I love finding other people who enjoy the same things I love, so for you to basically write an essay about one of my all-time favorite shows is just... wow. Thank you <3

I had to leave this comment to reply to last, because I get the feeling that I might end up writing an essay in response as well lol (though I'll try not to). And I'll just say this before I forget: added! :)

I had no idea that Hannibal was originally supposed to be 7 seasons, I only knew about the 4 that it was apparently cut down to. It's sad to think about how much of Fuller's brilliant ideas we've missed out on with it being cut down to less than half the original length. And it really is true that the show turns every brutal murder into a work of art--even while you're horrified, it's still kind of awe-inspiring (or in the case of Hannibal's murders specifically, you want to eat the incredible looking food even while wanting to vomit because you know what it actually is XD)

I really appreciate the recommendation for Manhunter, I'll definitely have to check it out. As well as Bryan Fuller's other works, which I can't believe I haven't gone digging into yet! I won't lie though, it does make me nervous... I hate seeing things that I love not get a proper ending, and I honestly can't imagine not falling in love with Fuller's creations. But on the note of not getting proper endings...

I highly, highly recommend that you finish the last season. You've probably seen spoilers already, but either way--it's incredible. They did end up going through the Red Dragon plot in the second half of season 3, and admittedly it did feel a little rushed, but they did very well with what little time they had. Also, I am rarely satisfied with series finales, and never am for shows that got prematurely cancelled. But I was not only satisfied with the Hannibal finale, I was thrilled by it. It tied up loose ends (which, for some reason, very few shows seem capable of doing), it was darkly beautiful in the way that only Hannibal can be, and it felt like the only inevitable conclusion to the story--while also leaving a bit of room for a possible continuation. To me, it feels like the only possible ending there could have been, and I'm very glad that they didn't push for something happier or for something less happy, because it would have felt much too forced and wouldn't have properly tied up the developments we've seen up to that point. (If you haven't seen spoilers for the ending yet, then I apologize, because I'm probably not making any sense lol)

And judging by some tweets from Fuller and one of the writers, it looks like it will be continued. They've been working on season 4 for... I think about half a year now. I don't know who they got to pick it up, though; my first guess would be a streaming service like Netflix or Amazon, but they were both approached years ago and turned it down. But it looks like we will eventually get season 4 after all, albeit not until 2021 or 2022 according to Fuller.

...And I said I'd try not to write an essay. Oops. Sorry XD;

ETA: I also highly recommend watching this, but only after you've finished the series (because spoilers, and because everything will make much more sense if you've seen all the scenes beforehand). It's an incredible fanmade video, and it has the most fitting song I've ever heard for the show (to the point that I can't think of anything but Hannibal whenever I listen to it haha). That person made a lot of fantastic Hannibal videos, but that one is by far my favorite.

5 years ago*

I'm currently obsessed with Overwatch. I got in the monthly. I've only played for a few hours but man that game is fun. I wasn't having fun at first cuz I got overwhelmed by the huge roster of heroes but then I slowly started playing them one at a time and now I'm completely hooked.

5 years ago

It's exciting to see a game be so loved by so many gamers who usually play such different genres! I have a few friends who normally wouldn't touch FPS games (and I normally wouldn't either) who absolutely adore it. I got it in the monthly too and wish I could try it out, but unfortunately, my laptop cannot handle it at all lol

5 years ago

Thanks. added you back. btw overwatch is very well optimized I bet you could run it well on a low end laptop, you just might have to lower the graphics a little.

5 years ago

Hi Rebecca, nice to meet you sister =)

Right now, I am playing Fran Bow, becaude I won it in the "Playing Appreciated" group and I have to play it in 30 days. I am enjoying it very much. Very insane and bizarre game, just like me hehehe. God bless you.

5 years ago

Ooh, I watched a Fran Bow LP a while back and absolutely loved it. It gives me strong "dark Alice in Wonderland" kind of vibes lol
I picked it up in a bundle and hope to play it myself soon too. I'm glad you're enjoying it!
(Also, hello fellow Playing Appreciated member o/ )

5 years ago

Am I eligible to apply for your whitelist?

As for an anime that I would recommend, definitely the manga/anime that makes me laugh out loud genuinely not like those fake laugh, Grand Blue ! I've never seen any manga that is so funny to the point I laughed like a madman and my parent came into my room and ask me if I'm okay (Serious no joke)

5 years ago

Ooh I've heard about that one, and it sounds hilarious! I'll have to add it to my list ^^

5 years ago

Thank you for the add ! 😍😍

5 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.