ETA: Well, we've reached a total count of 100 now! (Or rather, 108, because it passed the 100 mark in the middle of the night and I didn't want to cut anyone off who commented before I updated this.) So I'll be closing the recruitment here. The giveaways will still remain open until the 6th though, so feel free to keep entering those! ^^

First, let's get to what everyone really came here for: the giveaways that are open to everyone, for Carmageddon: Max Damage and Day of Infamy.

Now that that's out of the way, I've decided to do my first whitelist recruitment and giveaway! The giveaway is for Graveyard Keeper. I've really enjoyed the small bit I've gotten to play myself and saw that it was pretty high up on the community wishlist, so I wanted to share the fun!

The giveaways are open until October 6th at 8:00AM PST, and WL recruitment will close whenever the total count gets to 100, because I want people to actually have a shot at winning any WL giveaways I do. To get onto my whitelist, the rules are simple:

1. You have to have at least a 1:4 ratio of given : received, in terms of either number of games or CV.
  2. Tell me about some media that you're currently obsessed with. It doesn't matter if it's a game, an anime, a book, etc etc. Why do you love it so much, and who would you recommend it to?

In sticking with the cannibalism theme of Graveyard Keeper, here's mine: Hannibal. I'm currently working on my 4th watch of the show, and the only thing I've watched more than that is Buffy: the Vampire Slayer, which I've been into since I was 10. I've always loved horror movies, so Hannibal was pretty high on my to-watch list when it came out. When I finally got around to it, I enjoyed it even more than expected for the horror, the psychological aspects (I have a BA in psychology and still adore my major, so that was guaranteed to interest me), the mysteries, and the incredibly complex and twisted relationships and character development. I'd highly recommend this show to anyone who enjoys (or at least doesn't mind) gore and other forms of horror, mind games, crime/mystery shows, and queer relationships of both the normalish (as normal as this show can get) and abusive/power imbalance variety.

What's yours? (And if you've read this far, here's a bonus giveaway open to all.)

Oh, and if you're blacklisted, it's most likely because you won one of my giveaways and had a very low given : received ratio at the time. If that's changed since then, please let me know and I'll remove you.

5 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

This summer I was really obcessed by Joe Abercrombie books and really couldn't stop until read them all. Especially I can recommend The First Law. It's dark fantasy thrilogy with lot of blood, cruelty, politic, black humor and sudden plot twists. Really great thing and I can't wait for a sequel, that must be finished in 2019. Heh, cannibals is there too ^^

Also recently I watched Funny Games. This is pretty interesting and unusual psycological thriller. Unfortunately, half of the plot reveal in IMDB description, so I'll better say nothing more about plot. And yeah, it was original German version, can't say nothing about US remake.
I hope it will be interesting for you ^^

5 years ago

Ooh, I've never heard of either of those, but they sound like exactly the kinds of things I would enjoy, thanks for sharing!
Added! :)

5 years ago

Whats up, It seems I always loved kingdom hearts series (not all games) but most of them (starting from kh bbs, my favourite), so now lot of updates of KH3 release are coming, like cast, new worlds, new trailers (sora fighting aqua LUL?), square enix made this games (as well as life is strange). It's not that I love it, because I just wanna see how aqua ends(they already revelealed aqua getting norted and fighting against sora, thing I disagree because aqua is 100 times better than sora in my opinion xD)and is that, I just wanna see how the things end, wondering if they are gonna end the game there or keep making more KH games,
did you play any KH game? or a Square Enix one?

About PC games, I'm pretty obsessed with Furi and their themes, it comes to be my favourites one in terms of music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CGMk_roNaE being this one my 1/2# favourite theme song. I recommended this game to all my friends, and now more since it had an update that makes you invulerable and (able) to kill any enemy and fully enjoy the story.

Books: My favourite #1 book is The pillars of the earth by ken follett, I'm spanish and I went to Brighton (near London) to study English (for 3 months), so I decided to start a few things like, going to a gym and read a book ^^, I could choose a few small ones or a "big" one so this masterpiece came to my mind and I searched in 2 libraries the book and managed to get it (in English) so I used to read it almost everyday in the bus on the way to the "school" and I could say I enjoyed every part of it +1000 pages, don't know if it's the lenght but I cannot think on any other better book I have read before.

Anime? I'm not into anime to be honest, I had an age when I used to watch some recommended ones and could say that the one I most liked was Tokyo Ghoul, actually with 3 seasons, loved the first, liked the second and disliked the third, meanwhile another anime I liked was Re:zero, things like Pokemon, and those animes with +700 episodes are something I can't really afford in terms of time, so that would be it.

5 years ago*

I love the KH games, although I never seem to make it all the way through them. The only ones I've completely beaten are 358/2 days and Re:Coded. Another Square Enix series that I love but never seem to be able to finish is Final Fantasy. I haven't played Life is Strange myself, but I watched a LP and absolutely adored it.
And that is definitely a nice song, thank you for sharing!

5 years ago

Not really obsessed with anything atm, but when I was young I consumed everything that was based on Forgotten Realms. Had to learn English at a very young age so I could read the books as most of them weren't translated to my language. I still own all the D&D books for that setting and probably 50 novels.

5 years ago

Wow that is a lot, I admire your dedication! I'll have to check them out sometime, although I'm pretty sure I'd never be able to make it through all of them haha

5 years ago

Hmm nothing I'm currently obsessed with...but I got a looooong list of TV-show where I have to catch up on the last season (but am not in the mood for - as I hate watching different series at the same time but rather watch a full season of one and get to the next one^^).
The only thing I can't wait for is the second season of the new Ducktales on October 20th. The first season of this reboot was just too awesome. :D

5 years ago

Haha I know the feeling--sometimes I think that I'll never reach the end of my list! I haven't watched the reboot of Ducktales yet, although I was very excited to hear that it exists! The nostalgia factor will be great when I do eventually get to it haha

5 years ago

You mentioned horror..if you are also into these games I'd recommend Irony Of Nightmare it's a really short(0.5-1h) but nice horror game you can pick up for 1$ (or 0.5$ on sale).

5 years ago

Ooh yes, I am always up for more horror! I'll definitely check it out, thanks for the rec! ^^

5 years ago

I'd like to apply to your WL if possible😊
as for current obsessions, I love watching series in general, and lately I've been carried away with Better Call Saul, a spin-off-prequel to my all time fav show Breaking Bad, it's really interesting, I recommend watching it:)
also I've been playing a lot of Monster Hunter:World lately, hunting the last achievements, it's my first game in this genre but I got into it pretty quickly^^

5 years ago

Hmm you're the second person in this thread (and probably the 100th person in general lol) to recommend Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul, I guess I'll need to bump it up my list!
I don't own Monster Hunter: World myself, but I really enjoyed it when I rented it for a few nights, so I'm hoping I'll be able to get back into it eventually!

5 years ago

do i qualify too

hmm i am currently into playing old strategie games like anno and age of empires :)

5 years ago

Ooh, sounds fun, I've been meaning to try out Age of Empires for a while!
And yes, you do. Added! :)

5 years ago

I'm obsessed with the books I need to learn in order to become a train driver. Unfortunately, I'm not obsessed in a "positive" way. I wouldn't recommend these at all :c

5 years ago

Oh no, I'm sorry! I hope you can make it through them soon!

5 years ago

Current obsession is My Hero Academia. It's running its 3rd season right now but it's high action and they actually do a good job of putting in plot twists and avoiding the obvious cliches while using all the right ones. I'm not sure how to express that any clearer. XD It's an amazing anime though. I'm excited to see how it all turns out in the end.

5 years ago

A lot of people have recommended My Hero Academia to me, I really hope I get a chance to watch and read it soon! And don't worry, I totally understand what you mean haha

5 years ago

Applying 😊

I'm not really obsessed with any one thing at the moment (except SG, I spend way too much time on this site 😅). I'm not watching much on Netflix right now, but I love their Marvel series (Daredevil, Jessica Jones etc), so I'll be binge watching season 3 of Daredevil in a few weeks 😁. I haven't read a book for far too long, but when I was reading, my absolute favourites were the Malazan books by Steven Erikson.

5 years ago

Ooh yes, Netflix's Marvel series have all been on my to-watch list for a while. And I haven't heard of the Malazan books before, but they look interesting! Hopefully I get some free time soon to check them out ^^ (Although I'm going to need a lootttt of time to get through all the interesting things people are reccing in this thread--possibly more time than I'll ever have in my life lol)

5 years ago

😁

5 years ago

I am interested in dystopian and post-apocalyptic stories (especially 'standard' zombie).
Enjoyed the first seasons of Fear The Walking Dead, looking forward to some more episodes.
Currently watching The Purge (tv series) on Amazon Prime (English + English subtitles - not my motherlanguage) as I liked the movies.

In terms of games:
I really enjoyed the stories (and still am) of the Arkham series (finishing Origins and Knight at the moment), especially Arkham City's.
If you are a fan of the Batman universe, definitely a game to play! :)

(I think my comment finally went through, posted like 4 different comments (all with the same content) on mobile, somehow didn't appeared here :/)

5 years ago

Hmm I haven't tried out any of those yet, although I have watched and loved LPs of Telltale's Walking Dead and Batman series. And I have Arkham Asylum, so I'm definitely planning to at least give that one a shot! Thanks for the recs ^^

5 years ago

This is a test post.. I've already tried twice and nothing has appeared, so if this actually pops up I'll edit with my real post...
Edit: How odd, Nyuels above seems to be describing the same problem.

OK! So, I'd like to apply for the whitelist please :)

Sorry to say, for the past 3 weeks or so work has been somewhat relentless and I've had precious little time to be obsessed with anything. However, at the end of the day I've been really enjoying relaxing with the rather lovely Megaquarium, I find it totally charming and pleasantly zen even when going for the more difficult challenges.

5 years ago*

I know how that is, work has been insanity for me lately too. I hope it calms down for you soon! I've been eyeing Megaquarium since it came out, but I figure I can't really justify spending the money on it right now when I know how deep into my backlog it will end up lol. I'm glad you're enjoying it though ^^

5 years ago

Thanks a lot!
I'm always conflicted because I'm self-employed, so for me more work directly means more pay (which I especially need at the moment) - but last week was a killer, especially because working from home basically means I'm always at work... Still, can't complain, there's plenty who have it worse.

5 years ago

Hi, can I join WL?
I am Japanese and I love animation, recently I did not know that Japanese anime is popular abroad.
I am watching shingeki no kyojin, Gintama, one piece etc every week!
I also like movies, but I am mainly watching action movies ^^
have a nice weekend!

5 years ago

I watched the first season of Shingeki no Kyojin when it came out, but I haven't been able to catch up since then. And Gintama is on my list too! I'm glad you're enjoying them ^^

5 years ago

Are you a fan of Gintama too? very nice my favorite anime ^^
I add you too! 😉

5 years ago

Thank you, I appreciate it! And I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but I definitely want to at some point :)

5 years ago

Hope you're satisfied with my ratio?

I am currently not obsessed with anything. Just the opposite, I guess - I am always motivationless on what game to play or which anime to watch.
It's probably because I recently started looking for a motorcycle again - since my last one was totalled after a crash Dec '17.

So yea, I guess you could say I am obsessed with motorcycles :P They're just my way to get out of this world. They're personal freedom and joy. Had my first bike (125cc) with nearly 17 and it did wonders. I was finally able to get out of the house and be more mobile - and visit friends I haven't seen in long times (we moved quite a lot, so after a while I barely made friends and tried sticking to my old ones/the ones I meet online..)

5 years ago

I have a lot of trouble deciding what to go for sometimes too, especially when I'm so short on time. And motorcycles might not be media, but if you're obsessed with them, then that absolutely counts too! XD

5 years ago

oh right! MEDIA! Damnit XD
Totally forgot about that point haha

Thank you for the add though (:

5 years ago

Haha no problem, I probably should have left the question more open-ended anyways, I just wasn't thinking of other things that people might really love ^^

5 years ago

Sadly not obsessed about anything that is considered media, just coping with my anxiety and depression... Turning 23 soon and just feeling old in terms of numbers even although i look like 18...

I know that i didn't meet the second rule, so let's pretend that i am obsessed with Serious Sam HD (i was, but i still like that game)
It's great game, mostly because of the maps (levels)... Graphics is amazing even after almost 10 years...

Thanks for being generous and kind, that reminds me that there are beautiful people and things out there and i just have to be patient :)

5 years ago

Believe me, I know how that is. I've been living with anxiety and depression for a very long time too and only really started making progress on the road to recovery within the last year or so. It's unbelievably hard and I know that words don't mean much when you're depressed, but I promise that it will get better eventually--you just have to keep pushing through and reaching for what you want, even when it seems impossible. <3
(And as for the age thing, I'm right there with you on that too. I turn 25 on Friday and have been told by many people that I still look 16 lol)
I haven't played Serious Sam myself, but I'm glad you enjoyed it, and hopefully you can soon find some more things that you can enjoy too!

5 years ago

Hi would like to join too
My time is pay on game zombie night terror and japanese comic attack on titans.
Ps 2nd time post

5 years ago

Ooh both of those are on my list as well! I haven't started on either the game or the manga yet, although I have watched the first season of the Attack on Titan anime ^^

5 years ago

After reading about Graveyard Keeper I believe it is time to make use of my good ratio. The media that I have been enjoying is the Ryder Cup on the radio because I can listen while reading the Parasol Protectorate books by Gail Carriger - which I would also recommend to anybody with an interest in humour, vampires and parasols.

5 years ago

I have to say, that is definitely one of the more intriguing descriptions I've heard among these recommendations lol. I'll definitely have to look into that series!

5 years ago

I would be happy to join in ...

After i clicked on sending was my long text deleted (WTF ???) -_-

This time in shorter.

Obessed have for me often a bad sidetaste, so i prefer not to use it.

Hannibal was a good serie with a very good main actor but after a few seasons it was a bit of "each episode the same" and the acting from Hannibal was so much that he normaly not let no trails behind. And the black deer nerves me after a while :-D

Movies:
Quentin Tarantino Movies My taste of humor and gore. Great actors, good music, good stories Inglorious Bastards was the only movie from him that i don't like
Monthy Python Movies ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0amC660MOk , Monty Python - Life of Brian -in German-) My taste of humor
Bruce Lee Movies I am a male...
Guardians of the Galaxy 1 My humor Part 2 was complete shi*

Series:
Viking Medieval, Sex, Gore, good actors and one beautiful female...
Gomorrha
Orange is the new black Good actors, good story

Anime:
Prison School Funny
Highschool DxD funny situations and story but for my taste too much big breats and panty shots

Books:
From Timothy Zahn (mostly SciFi)
Ken Follet (often Medieval)

5 years ago

It seems that a lot of people have been having issues with their comments not posting, I'm sorry about that! :/
And I definitely understand, the word "obsession" usually has pretty bad connotations--I think I just like using it half-jokingly to make light of how much I get into nerdy and fangirly things lol. Thank you for all the recommendations, though! Several of those are already on my list, and I'll have to look into the ones that I haven't heard of before ^^

5 years ago

Not applying but wanted to mention that Buffy is a classic and I've watched the series through a few times myself. I just recently finished the first season of The Sinner.a weird psychological policier, featuring Jessica Biel and Bill Pullman that is quite terrific.(Considering your interest in Hannibal and psychology, you might really like this one.) Currently immersed in James Franco's and Maggie Gyllenhaal's The Deuce, a fascinating look at 70's-80's era pre-gentrificaton Times Square culture.

5 years ago*

Ooh, thank you for the recs! Those look really interesting! :)

5 years ago

added you just for The Path avatar, it triggers me too hard x]

i'd love aesthetic games with pretty dark, gothic and\or grunge style silent hill, the path, killing floor 1, alice:mr looks so
sad there's not really much of those, a lot of titles can keep it in style but still not able to touch any aesthetic feelings in whole walkthrough

5 years ago

Haha thank you! I'm very into the dark, gothic-ish aesthetic too, I love both the Path and Alice: MR. I really do wish it was easier to find more games like that!

5 years ago

I believe I meet the criteria and my current obsession is listening to lit rpg audiobooks. I enjoy them a lot. Thx for the chance!

5 years ago

Ooh, that sounds interesting! I've never really considered rpg audiobooks, do you have one or two in particular you'd recommend?

5 years ago

Chaos Seed series is a great place to start in Lit Rpg. its a 7 book series so far. there are some other great ones like The way of the shaman series, and Viridian Gate Online. It is a fun genre to get into especially if u like MMO rpg games.

5 years ago

Thank you, I'll definitely have to check some of those out! ^^

5 years ago

Thanks for the chance!

I'm currently in love with Better Call Saul. When they announced a Breaking Bad spinoff, I was leery. It started off slow, but has turned into an amazing show in its own right.

5 years ago

Looks like we have a lot of Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul fans here! I really need to get my butt in gear and start watching these! XD

5 years ago

As long as you know they're very good, but not at all happy-feel-good shows, you'll hopefully enjoy them. Hard drama without a lot of comic relief. And a lot of things are slower paced, but the pay-off is great.

If you decide to do them, I recommend the subreddits. People notice all sorts of little call backs and easter eggs. And sometimes, there's help with "who the hell was that person, again?"

Thanks <3 Adding you, too.

5 years ago

Yes, I definitely know from my friend's rants that they aren't the happiest shows haha
I'll try to keep that in mind when I finally get around to watching them ^^
And thank you, I appreciate it!

5 years ago

My current obsession is the series The Americans.
Just an hour ago I tried to explain someone in person why I enjoyed the episode 5x05 (one of my top 3 episodes so far) so much and ended up telling them all the relevant events from the previous seasons that culminated in that episode, talking and talking for about 15 minutes straight.

I won't do that again here 😬 but I'll mention how amazed I am about the pretty much perfect mix of emotional scenes/events in this episode, while never being irrational or over the top. The show generally offers so many believable motivations for so many characters in a complex story and that's such f*****g rare achievement. None of the main characters is simply evil or erratic, as the case for most other shows. Every progress in The Americans' story is well earned by the show's excellent writers.

5 years ago

Ooh, I haven't heard of that one before, but it looks interesting! I'm a sucker for spy stories. And believe me, I know how that goes when you mean to only say a couple of things and then end up rambling about something you love for a while lol

5 years ago

What in the World? I wrote a whole essay(literally) around 4-5 paragraphs but is just completely disappear? What sorcery is this? Is this thread bugged? O__O

Edit: Are there characters limit? I may have broke it if there's any . . .

5 years ago

Funny. Exactly the same thing happened to me. I thought I had pressed cancel, or something. I'm writing the short versión now

5 years ago

I'm rather pooped tho. It seems so insincere to repeat my 1st thoughts to the topic . . . Why is there such an issue only to this topic I wonder? hmm~

5 years ago

Lol, had wrote as well but not an essay, thought I just forgot to press submit button

5 years ago

Yeah, I am a "naggy" person by habit so I was talking about what I recently saw then it comes to my thought about life too, something like that, so its not really something you replicate but a reaction to a topic. I guess, I'll save what I wrote this time round. I swear though I've been actively replying to the forum the past day but I had not encounter anything like it. I have also made a few essay replies to other topics which appears without a hitch. Just . . . MAGICAL!!!

5 years ago*

I'd like to join too!

I'm obsessed with Terry's Pratchett Discworld series, google says it includes 42 41 book in it! I love his writing style, his characters, humor, world and everything it includes (especially Death character). If you didn't read his books you should definitely try them, you won't regret!

Edit: remembered TV series which I also like (repeatedly recommended it to relatives and friends but nobody watched:( ), it's called "Utopia", it's about world conspiracy, only two seasons but I fell in love with it. No famous movie actors but they play so great and the soundtrack perfectly suits moments I just rewounded to hear it more:D Art is also great, plot has swesome twists. Lol, wrote more in edit than in main part.

5 years ago*

I've read a few of Terry Pratchett's books and loved them (particularly Good Omens), but I haven't read the Discworld series yet. It's definitely on my list, though! And I'll have to look into Utopia ^^

5 years ago

I think you'll love them! He made this series from diffrenet perspectives: wizards, witches, Death, guards and few without a class. All of them is pleasure to read. Hooray! Someone will now watch it:D There is a bit of blood and torture but I think you're ok with it as you are watching Hannibal:D
Thanks, added you too!

5 years ago

Thank you, I appreciate it!
And haha yes, I am definitely okay with blood and torture, Hannibal is among the worst I've seen in that regard (except probably for things like The Saw movies, which I just... generally avoid. I'm fine with it most of the time, but I don't enjoy gore and torture just for the sake of gore and torture lol)

5 years ago

Raisin boy. I watched it. Thought it was very, very good :)

5 years ago

After finishing it I tried to find comic, it's a pitty they didn't make copies and sell them

5 years ago

Just finished watching the Office US season 9. One of my favorite TV shows since the characters are amusing, relatable, and have flaws. Also, Michael Scott made the show more entertaining.

I will watch the Short episodes on You tube and maybe the deleted scenes.

5 years ago

I've been planning to watch the Office (one or both versions, I don't know) for years, but I never seem to get around to it! I'm glad that it's brought so much entertainment to so many people though!

5 years ago

Thanks!

5 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.