Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Les Misérables (2019)

Not what you might think it is when you just hear the title.

Someone else (lazarid on imdb/https://www.imdb.com/user/ur72357682/?ref_=tt_urv) found the perfect words, so I'm copying their review here:

Very powerful
The film touches subjects which although very important, remain out of focus in almost all contemporary narratives. As the title «Les miserables» indicates, the protagonists are the victims of a system which breeds inequality and marginalization of a large proportion of the population. The story develops linearly, the scenes stay within the essential statements, spectacularly false impressions are omitted and the message comes through effectively. My feeling was that there was really no plot but an ordinary, documentary like, day to day happening in one of the ghettos of civilized Paris in France. What I found very interesting and revealing was the depiction of the inability of western societies to assimilate, integrate and absorb different cultures. I was left wondering.

4 years ago

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil (2019)

As good if not a bit better than the first one. Nice character designs, good story, talented cast.

4 years ago

Zombieland Double Tap.
Not as good as the first but still a lot of fun.
A good 7/10

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

4 years ago

4 years ago

• My Friend Ivan Lapshin - 9/10 (it's a Russian movie shot in 1984 by Aleksey German, a brilliant director who was actually on par with Tarkovsky, but didn't get similar worldwide recognition unfortunately)
  • The Specials - 8/10 (a French movie about social workers taking care of autistic children; rather sentimental, but never over the edge. Shot by these couple of guys responsible for 1+1. And they actually came here to Moscow together with actors to answers our questions, and I actually saw Vincent Cassel live! fangirl mode was totally on)
  • The Necessary Death of Charlie Countryman - 6/10 (and I'm being generous here, it's such a mess of a movie - but I just had to see Mads Mikkelsen and Til Schweiger on a same screen together)
  • Pain and Glory - 9/10 (definitely the best Banderas' performance I've seen, not to mention that this Spanish drama is beautiful in every aspect)
  • The Nightingale - 8/10 (an impressive Australian feminist western, loved it)
  • Midsommar - 8/10 (I really need to review my attitude towards horror movies: apparently nowadays horror is here not just to scare people, but to show some impressive metaphors)
  • The Two Popes - 7/10 (way too direct for my taste, but worth watching nonetheless because of Hopkins' and Pryce's performance)
  • Marriage Story - 7/10 (so damn boring, but, once again, more or less worth watching because of Johansson's and Dern's performance; still not sure about Driver though)
  • An Officer and a Spy - 8/10 (86-year-old Polanski is still more competent than the vast majority of his colleagues)
  • Downton Abbey (a movie, that is) - 7/10 (apparently I'm not missing the show enough to really enjoy yet another typical episode of Downton Abbey)
  • Atlantics - 8/10 (this is a really curious one: it was shot by Mati Diop, a young woman of Senegalese origin born in Paris; the film incorporates both her legacies. Basically it's a romantic fairy-tale about a Senegalese girl and her dead beloved one (strongly based on a European legend tradition about a ghost of a fiance that comes back to his intended), but also a story about a passive young girl maturing into an adult woman. Strongly recommended to anyone looking for something a bit different to watch)
  • 1917 - 7/10 (on one hand, it's heavily overrated: it literally consists of cliches, and music tries to manipulate a viewer in the worst Hollywood manner possible; on the other, the visuals are absolutely stunning, Roger Deakins is still a genius)
4 years ago*

The performance that sold me on Driver was BlacKkKlansman - I had my doubts before that. And he was one of the best things about the most recent Star Wars imo. Agree re 1917 too, btw, good but not great and that one shot gimmick (I was dreading it a little) could have been a catastrophe except that Deakins somehow managed to make it fairly seamless and unobtrusive. No small feat.

4 years ago

The King (2019) - Surprisingly intelligent and compelling historical drama about Henry V's ascent to the throne of England. Joel Edgerton (always value added) is in it (Falstaff) and also writes and produces.

Shoah: Four Sisters - Claude Lanzmann's final film, actually footage that was left out of Shoah, contains interviews with four survivors who were, in fact, not sisters, but related by the idea that every one of their respective family members were lost in the Holocaust.

4 years ago

Breakthrough (2019)

If you're christian this movie might be pretty good, but otherwise it's really not. It pretty much wants to make you cry and the whole movie relies on that fact.
I often cry at sad movies but this one just forced it.
Some good-ish performances. Full of religious propaganda. And I don't even wanna start about the more than predictable plot.

One thing I liked was that they showed the actual people next to the ones who played them in the movie.

4 years ago*

Toy Story 4 (2019)

First things first, the animation was great. At some times some of the textures looked actually life-like. The voiceover work was fantastic as well.
The character design was good too, for the most part.

Good story, likeable characters. It's a good ending to the Toy Story franchise.

4 years ago

The Neighbors' Window (2019)

Can't really put my finger on it, but it's really good. You can watch it for free on YouTube and should definitely check it out. Fantastic 20-minute short film that's also nominated for an Oscar this year.

4 years ago*

Brotherhood (2018)

Pretty good short film with beautiful cinematography, great storytelling and interesting looking people.

4 years ago

Rocketman (2019)

I'm not even a huge Elton John fan, but this movie was good. The music was obviously great, the cinematography was nice,
the performances were good, especially Taron Egerton's.

Don't get me wrong, I like this kind of movie and the people they're about but still... I already feel kind of a musician-biopic fatigue.

4 years ago

1917 (2019)

Stunning cinematography, kinda basic but still pretty gripping story (two soldiers must deliver a message to the front lines). Talented young actors, gorgeously detailed set design.
I'm not really a fan of war movies but this one was very very good.

4 years ago

Jumanji: The Next Level. It's tons of fun just seeing the actors adopt different characters, and it's an all round fun movie. Worth watching the previous one first.

4 years ago

The Lighthouse (2019)

4 years ago

American Factory (2019)

It's a really good documentary. Very interesting insight into the world of manufacturing in small-town USA. It really showcases the cultural differences between the USA and China. And the whole part in the chinese factory seemed totally surreal.

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

4 years ago

Honeyland (2019)

Okay, if you're afraid of bees you probably won't like this movie.

Stunning cinematography! Very interesting story.
Just watch it, it's breathtaking and I'm pretty sure it will get the Oscar for Best Documentary Feature.

Also I crave honey now and I'm usually not a big fan of honey.

4 years ago*

The Lion King (2019)

This is not a movie. It's an animation project showing off how realistic you can animate animals. And yes, they're very realistic. Too realistic. Pretty much none of the emotion comes across. The story was good because it was the same story as in the original. Some of the voice-acting is good, some more is bad.

4 years ago

wayne's world

now this is a trash movie. i have no idea how it got so popular, and worst of all, how it made so much money in the 90s. 🤦‍♀️

4 years ago

Simply put -- bad 90's memes.

4 years ago

In The Absence (2018)

Heartbreaking documentary about the sinking of a south korean ferry in 2014. It's shocking seeing clips of people trapped inside, waiting to be rescued when at the same time you know they didn't get rescued. It is hard to watch.
But if you decide to do so you should know that it's only a 30 minute watch and it's on youtube. So go watch it!

4 years ago

Just went to cinema to see Underwater .. it was.. underwhelming

I enjoyed the concept of the movie - not a lot of underwater movies. And the monsters where scary and original enough. But the whole production value was horrible. The characters where boring as hell, no backstory, no emotional bond, no character development. Just Kristen Stewarts emotionless face throughout the movie I remember reading a comment about her once and I dont know why but it has stuck with me until now - "Kristen Stewart can practice her bad acting while sitting on my face" - that about sums up the movie. She's hot (not a fan of short hair so thats a bit of a turnoff in this movie) but I just dont enjoy her acting
For a fantasy movie I dont really care if it doesnt stick to laws of physics - it would be boring if it did.. But some continuity and all around logic would have been fine.. Some spoilers ahead about this :

1. Stewart has to dive into water to see if they can dive under rubble and she says "I'll go - Im the smallest".... The catch ? They all are wearing same size diving suits
  2. Stewart gets thrashed around by a monster - three times gets hit with full force against ground and her helmet doesnt break.. A minute later another character crashes the same helmet open with fire extinguisher
  3. Little crack in the helmet of character - he gets pulverized due to pressure. Some scenes later - a crack in the glass window of the base and it doesnt break, but the character can crack it further by pressing on it with finger

cinematography was rather annoying.. The camera effects and filming angles.. I wont get into detail, but really an underwhelming movie..

Overall its not a bad movie - CGI is good, in general characters where decent and actors as well.. IMDB nails it this time - its a strong 6/10 movie

And this movie again proves that by just shoving in annoying character with "funny" one liners cant save everything thats wrong about the movie. Every time he told a joke made me cringe - so forced and unnecessary..

4 years ago*

Frozen II (2019)

I know I'm again not part of the target demographic, but I still think it's good. The animations are nice, the story is good (maybe a bit better than the original) and the voice over actors are talented. Nice character growth, too.
I think as a whole this was just as good as the first one. No better or worse.

4 years ago

For Sama (2019)

Very hard to watch! But at the same time it's a thought-provoking and necessary watch. Probably the best documentary I've ever seen.
I want to say so much about it but at the same time I can't. You should watch it, experience this movie for yourself. I can't get it across with a few words.

4 years ago

Joker, not impressed at all :(

4 years ago

The Sorrow and the Pity (1969) - extraordinary documentary concerning the collaboration between France's Vichy government and Nazi Germany during WW2, includes interviews with collaborators, resistance fighters, a German officer, politicians and even a member of the Charlemagne Division of the Waffen SS.
Parasite - a deft satire/black comedy on S Korea's social culture that harks back to this director's early work (Barking Dogs Never Bite, Memories of Murder).
The Wet Parade (1932) - lives destroyed by alcohol consumption and then destroyed even more thoroughly by alcohol consumption during Prohibition. The screenplay is clumsily adapted from Upton Sinclair's novel, but the performances are very good and because it was made so close to actual events, the whole thing feels very authentic and "lived in" despite its flaws,

4 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.